Stopped eating sugar.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

About 3 weeks ago I decided to stop eating sugar. It was really a struggle but I am so glad that i did it. I gave up my donughts, pies, cakes, etc, cut back on fruit and white food. I have lost 8lbs, I have a lot more energy and really don't have the cravings I had before. It wasn't easy but well worth the effort. Meems

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Very good!. That is something that I need to do. Keep up the good work Meems. Will be watching for updates.
Ivy

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks Ivy, I am really, really, trying.I tried on some fall slacks and they are TIGHT! I can button them, but breathing is another story! LOL Meems

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, you are amazing, congrats! Don't know if I could do that, but diabetes does run in my family...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Fruit has more benefits than harm, though...

Are you sure cutting out fruit was a good idea?

(I'm hypoglycemic.... I cut out almost all white carbs, all synthetic sugars.. but I left natural sugars in, aiming for two to three fruits every day)..

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Angel, you are totally right about cutting out all fruits. That was only temporary until I could stop the sugar cravings I had. Today I had watermelon and a banana. I LOVE fruit. Just needed to get off all sugar, I was terrible! I have to say ithe fruit sure tasted good today! I will slowly add good carbs back now. Ky, You can do it...my DH has the same family history as you and he has really been trying too. We went out for dinner tonight and had water with our meal. I don't care about drinking pop now. I never, ever thought I would say that!! We both ordered it but didn't drink it, ( each had a sip) because it tasted so sweet. It took about 2 weeks to realize I didn't need it. I also noticed that I am eating smaller portions because I am full, a nice bonus! Meems

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

The healthiest fruits are berries and blueberries top the list. Always keep a box in the freezer for a few as a quick refreshing nibble.

The biggest mistake most folks make when cutting carbs aka sugar is they eat way too much fruit and nuts.
Nuts are nutritious but only a handful.
Filberts, Brazil nuts, raw almonds, walnuts all good.
Macadamias if you can afford them ;(

Others like peanuts, corn nuts , soy nuts and cashews are NOT nuts.

Avoid very high sugar fruits such as watermelon ( almost pure fructose) bananas , apples ( today's high sugar apple is like a sack of sugar), pineapple, mangoes and dates plus any dried fruit bc it is super concentrated.

Just my 2 worth.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I agree with scooterbug - Not all fruits and nuts are created equal. Do your homework before you swallow. :)

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Congratulations ! I tried, and I fainted in the kitchen after four days off sugar :)

My son and I are dieting, and we have decided to cut out high fructose corn syrup. It is in foods you would never expect to find it in, so read your labels carefully. Interestingly, my son has hypoglycemia, and he has eaten a protein bar in the mid-afternoon to keep from crashing for years. With high fructose corn syrup eliminated from his diet, he doesn't need the protein bar anymore.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Cashews aren't really nuts?? I did read that they are related to poison ivy, which was a shocker!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

FYI........Sam's has blueberries in 4 pound bags for a little less than $8.00. I usually get about a half dozen when I go. Spouse and I have some every morning.

Not a half dozen blueberries, a half dozen bags. LOL

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I have blueberries with my cereal every morning, sometimes with strawberries or bananas. Yummy!

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

I had to smile because I was sitting here eating blueberries while I was reading all the posts! You are right Scooter and Angel...Had a half cup watermelon. That was my treat for being a good girl and also a small carton was on sale at my market. That is an occational treat. I am freezing bags of blueberries again this year so easy and nice to have in the coming months when they are so expensive. I also bought purple grapes and a few apples to add to my salad tomorrow night. I have been making a salad with mixed greens, onions, mushrooms, walnuts, tomatoes,cukes, apple slices, a few grapes, crabmeat, sliced turkey breast, red pepper, olives and a little low fat cheese. Sometimes I don't even use dressing because it tastes so good without it. If I do I use a small amount of lite. It really satisfies me. Meems

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Ooo, that does sound yummy! Thanks for the idea!

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Ky, Sometimes I just raid the fridge and have fun with what I can find.Other ingredients that I use are, avacodo, hard boiled eggs, mandrian oranges, leftover chicken, ham, artichokes, grated zukes, carrots, pecans, spinach, summer squash, dried cherries, beans, etc, etc...give it a try bet you'll like it! A happy day to you...Meems

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Mandarin Oranges? From the peel, or canned? Dried cherries? Careful portion control.
Again . . . read the label.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Angel, plastic containers, drained and rinsed. I allow myself a FEW dried cherries or cranberries only!!! Believe me, I always read labels. I drive my family nuts! All of the items above are some examples of what I have used. I would love to hear of any other suggestions. Meems

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

hearty proteins keep you going ...

Veggies & fruits are awesome. super nutrient monsters, but not enuf protein to maintain..

There's a USDA website, i think.. whereever the food pyramid thingie is ..
Calculates the amount of protein grams, and carb grams, and suggests amts of each food group.. I live by mine..

I wasn't getting near the protein I needed ...
lean proteins, lean chicken, pork, beef .. all those things that "studies show aren't good for us".. bah humbug.. Protein is the "juice" that keeps you going, especially when you cut sugar & white carbs out ..

=) Hope this helps.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I think you should aim for 1 1/2 grams of protein per pound of your bodyweight. As a competitive bodybuilder, I have to really watch what goes in my mouth. LOL

As a FYI, 7 grams of protein is equal to 1 ounce.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, wow, Anna, my sister used to do that. It was horrible before competitions! I remember going out to a restaurant afterwards, and they all ate like they were starving, lol.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Probably because they were!!!! Been there, done that. Pizza Hut........Yum. LOL

I am not going to do my 2 shows this fall, reason being I was sick for about 4 weeks the end of July and into August. I think the wonderful Wisconsin heat and humidity finally got to me and I got quite dehydrated. Yes, I was trying to drink my water, but hard to do when you feel like you're gonna hurl it all up. Blech.

First show is Oct. 2nd, and I knew that was out. 2nd one is Nov. 13th.......might would have had a slim chance, but my appetite is still not up to par re: what I should be eating. So, I think I will skip them and concentrate after Christmas for the 3 we do in the spring.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

wow i envy you for stop eating sugar ! i have done that several times ..... yes i did say " tried " LOL
i have cut down though.
seems every monday i start my diet over and over again ?
sugar is hard to beat ! very very had to do
i congratulate you on doing it
hooray.
i do find plums are a great way to help with a sweet tooth or i brush my teeth when i get a craving or a sweet potato. plain.
of course if you saw one of Anna's pies !! it would all got straight to H.E. double hockey sticks LOLL
such a curse :)

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Taynor, you are a hoot! Angel and Anna, thanks for the info. It was a good day, I fit into a pair of jeans that were to tight last month!!! Yep, a darn good day! LOL Meems

DONT YOU JUST LOVE THAT !!!! when a pair of pants fits . oh what a feeling . i remember it well. *sigh* time to stop sugar again.
maybe on monday ? ROFLLL
when i stop eating sodium is also when i shrink fast.
i make my own broths and stocks for soups and use herbs such as rosemary
yesterday i made pork stock and put in the slow cooker with white beans . yummy with tobasco sauce !

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Congrats to everyone who cut out sugar! It's hard the first couple of weeks but well worth the sacrifice. I haven't heard anyone mention that sugar causes inflammation. My hubby and I went on a nutritional program in Jan/Feb and cut out sugar and gluten. I did it for overall health reasons and he did it for both health reasons and to loose weight. It was amazing how my joint pain went away! He lost over 30 lbs and is still losing while feeling better than he has felt in a long time. The only down side to the program was that I lost 13 lbs that I did not want to lose!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Add some good naturally occuring fats to your meals.

Animal sources: any fat naturally occuring on meat, lard, tallow, poultry fats, fish oils.

Vegetable sources: Avocadoes , extra-virgin olive oil, unrefined coconut oil, palm oil, any true (tree) nuts.

http://www.thepaleodietsite.com/fats.html

JMO,
~s

i love avocados ! eat them 1- 2 times a week. wish we got better avo's here in Ohio they are a bit hard to find. The ones that i do get rot out before they are ripe ? what is up with that ?
thanks for the link scooter looks great
isn't there a sugar buster diet ???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images