Barn Faces and Country Scenes

(Zone 5a)

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070243/#new

I started taking pictures of barns when I noticed a face on one. Now it's become an obsession for me :o)

This is the barn I grew up with on the edge of Nichols. I have better pictures somewhere but for now this will do. The chicken house is on the other end. My Dad laid a plywood floor in the haymow so we could roller skate and the basket ball hoop is still up there. We hid the ladder behind the barn and used it to sneak out this window at night :o) We also own the quonset hut.

I'd love to see your photos!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Dahlonega, GA

That looks like a wonderful place to grow up . Reminds me of my aunts place in Imperial Vally in Ca . When the cotton got up , I was afraid to get out of site of the house , There are boogers out in those fields (she told me ) I was five when I went to live with her, and was there for a year .What did your family raise ? You can see forever.

(Zone 5a)

Digger, it was the best of both worlds. An elderly lady lived in the hut and we bought it when she moved. Next to the hut was the Catholic Church apple orchard. We ate a lot of apples! Across the road from the barn is our house. We were in town, but the barn is in the country :o) There's a bit of pasture behind the barn too. I built tepees from horseweed stalks.

We had a garden and fruit trees of our own. Dad had a few sheep and we had a shetland pony for a while. That was about it for ''farming''. Dad planted peanuts for fun in his Dad's timber and he grew melons and potatoes out there too. It's what he grew up doing and it was good sandy soil.

Laughing! Your Aunt knew how to keep you out of trouble!

Dahlonega, GA

She tried , but Daddy made me a bow with some arrows and she told me not to shoot the chickens . Well ,one day she saw me take aim ,but of course I missed , no matter , she slung the bow up and it hung in a tree. 36 years later or so ,I was by there and it was still in the tree . Wood doesn't rot in the desert .

(Zone 5a)

Digger, ROTFL!! I would have tried to sneak it out of the tree and even today, knowing it was there, I would have to go get it! That's amazing!

Another barn in Kalona, Iowa

Thumbnail by billyporter
Dahlonega, GA

Ha Ha , that was 30 years ago I saw it last , outside Yuma Az . I now reside in Ga , all the way across the U S A . Too old to climb trees now .

(Zone 5a)

Digger, I kind of wondered about the desert in Georgia and I would have to use a ladder these days :o)

Dahlonega, GA

Getting up the ladder isn't so hard , getting down is a funny picture of me hugging it very tight .
I need to take more pictures , I don't have that many on digital . I love this thread and seeing the many pictures . Yours are beautiful, Everyone's are beautiful , Please keep them coming

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is a fun thread! I'm enjoying the stories of your growing up years, too. I grew up in the "city" but there was a huge vacant lot across the street from us and it had a lot of trees on it. The neighborhood kids would go to the latest Gene Autry or Roy Rogers movies on Saturday mornings (walked about 8 blocks to the movie theater--cost a nickel, later a dime, to get in). When the movie was over, we would go home and act it out on the vacant lot. That lot was full of kids riding imaginary horses and shooting the imaginary bad guys with imaginary six-shooters! Sometimes on a Saturday night we would all play kick-the-can after dark over on the vacant lot. It was a simple life, but a good one!

This is not a barn but I stopped the other day and took this photo of a pond out in a pasture.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I think this tree is fascinating. It is on the road on the way over to my son's house.

Thumbnail by marsue
Dahlonega, GA

Gene Autry has always been my hero .Extremely intelligent man. I got mad when Roy Rogers (Leonard Sly)married Dale Evans and was jealous of a girl down the street that looked like one of Roy's daughters . Too late now , but I always had Gene on the top of my list of people I'd like to sit down and have a cup of coffee with . I did meet him one time when he came through my home town for a show and giving autographs . I was fat and shy and he picked me to come on up and signed my comic book . Way off topic , just wanted to share . He and Roy shaped a lot of my "fair play " in life . Sad day when he died .Sorry about O T .

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't think anyone will mind us getting a little bit off topic with our stories of "the olden days" LOL. After all, what do old barns remind us of? "Olden days", of course, and a simpler way of life! :o))

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Wooden abandonned things only last so long out here before a fire comes through, but metal and stone last forever.

This windmill is not hooked up to the well anymore but it still spins and squeaks and clacks.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This one has seen better days.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This water tank was turned into a storage building. There is a door on the other side.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is a road grader

Thumbnail by Kelli

This was an ornamental column in the front or side yard of a house. I used to have more pictures of this area but the files got corrupted. :-(

Thumbnail by Kelli

This view of the road grader looks more western. (This is at that Serrano Valley house that I mentioned in the article that I linked in the previous thread.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Dahlonega, GA

Wonderful pictures, Kelly . All those things can only be preserved in pictures .

(Zone 5a)

Marsue, you know how some of us like ponds and odd trees :o) I echo the simple but good times. We had so many games and rhymes back then. I tried writing down those I could remember before I really forget them.

Oh Digger, what a fantastic story! This thread has evolved to all country things now, and stories are welcome!! Maybe the next thread will be named ''The Olden Days'' if I can remember.

Kelli, I love windmills too. Most of our's are incomplete, but a couple have been restored. That's a really nice one. Someday it could be hooked up again to pump water. I love the water tank too! We don't have any around here. Now you don't see a road grader everyday, pretty cool :o) I would put a stone ball of the same color on top of the column.

It's getting late so I'll have to post more later. Keep the old days coming!

Dahlonega, GA

B P I appreciate you starting this thread . I would never thought of it . It just gets the juices flowing .

Here are the windmill and water tank in situ. They are almost in the exact center of the picture.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Dahlonega, GA

This isn't a farm scene , but it is in the country . lol

Thumbnail by digger9083
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Digger, I'm really enjoying it if I do say so myself :o) What a fantastic rainbow!!

Kelli, that picture gave me the biggest smile!

Another Kalona barn.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

And another.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

Close-up.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

Ho Ho Ho :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Dahlonega, GA

Fantastic pictures , B P

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Did you know the different roof shapes on a barn represent different nationalities.
We have one area here where all the barns have one type off roof. They really stand out, now I can't remember the nationality. They are similar to the one in the closeup, but narrower at the top & more straight on the lower part. No lip at the bottom either.

A "barn" roof on a house, especially when the ends are flared, it considered Dutch, but I don't know if that applied to barns or not.

BP, the Ho, Ho, Ho barn looks like a baby owl begging to be fed.

The place with the windmill is now a park, but it used to be part of the Rancho Sierra Vista. Doesn't that sound wild and remote? In Spanish/Mexican days, it was called Rancho el Conejo. Conejo is Spanish for rabbit. Can't you imagine the cowboys on horseback scaring up jackrabbits?

This message was edited Sep 10, 2010 9:10 AM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wonderful photos, Kelli, Digger and BP!
BP, I really like that "quilt block" barn.

I took this photo today. It's a nice scene, I think.

Thumbnail by marsue
Dahlonega, GA

Marsue , I love the old buildings

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

You see these all over in the western KY landscape.
Taken during our trip to KY RU, September 2008.
Leaving Tuesday morning for 2010 KY RU.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Dahlonega, GA

Boy , I'd hate to be under that one when it fell .If it was shored up , looks like it could be there a long time to come.

Dahlonega, GA

C G , take lots of pictures , O K ?

(Zone 5a)

Bernie, I did know that. Also a lot of barns are the same because many were commissioned from the same person at the same time. I love those that have a looong sloping roof on one side. Take some pictures of your's when you have time!

Thanks Digger! I can't wait for the corn to get picked so I can take a lot more pictures.

Kelli, awww, it does look like a baby owl! ROTFL! If you were in Texas and the stories were tall, I could see the Jack Rabbitound-up! I think it's great they made a park around it.

Marsue, I love the serenity of the picture! It hasn't been neglected for too many years if the trees along the one were seedlings.

Bernie, I love that you can see the tobacco hanging in there, even tho I'm totally against smoking, having quit 15 years ago.

This is what is left of my Grandparents brooder house.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Bernie, when my daughter first moved to KY, she had to stop herself from calling the fire department every time she saw a tobacco barn smoking. She says it still gives her a start. Up here, a smoking barn is a bad fire, especially this time of the year with all the hay harvest in.

These have been neat pictures. It is harder and harder to watch the old barns go down. We know a guy who tears them down to avoid "excess taxes", but what he doesn't seem to realize is that he's destroying a big piece of rural heritage for a few bucks.

Dahlonega, GA

I'm on my way across the county to a reunion . Hopefully I can get more pictures today . Fingers crossed .

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Have a good reunion, digger, and bring back lots of pictures!

I have never seen a tobacco barn--couldn't figure out what was hanging in there. Glad you all clarified things for me. :o)) Tobacco isn't grown in Arkansas as far as I know.

Those buildings in my photo above are still in use--at least they have horses in the same pasture where the buildings are.

Bernie: have a good time at the KY RU!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They say a lot of tobacco barns burned down in 2008 when Hurricane Ike went through. To much wind scattered to fires that were in the barns.

I quit smoking on August 13, 1982 at 7:30 PM. Not a puff since!

Great market again today.
Thanks for reminding me, I'd better charge my camera.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images