Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Trading: CLOSED: Come join us! 3rd Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Communities > Forums > Seed Trading
bookmark
Forum: Seed TradingReplies: 296, Views: 2,824
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #8068718

Hi everyone,

I am hosting another Tomato and Pepper seed swap that will include members from a few different forums. I wanted to post this a bit early so you had time to collect seeds or place an order.

Here are the guidelines we will follow for this swap (Note - they differ slightly from last year):

1) Seeds must be received by me no later than November 15th, so I recommend you mail your envelope no later than November 1. Please note that I live in Canada.

You can send "named varieties" of tomatoes or peppers (or both). Do not include mixes or seeds labeled "granny's mystery mix" or unnamed bell peppers or anything like that. I cannot, in fairness, send mixed or unknown packs of seed back to people that followed the instructions and only sent in "named varieties".

If you are sending hybrid seeds to exchange, only F1 seeds from a commercial source are acceptable. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please do your research online before mailing in your seeds.

2) A minimum of 10 seeds per packet. A maximum of 5 packets of the same seed. An overall maximum of 40 packets per person.

Please ensure seed packets are clearly marked with the name, and whether they are heirloom, OP (Open Pollinated), or F1 hybrid seeds. If you are sending pepper seeds, it would help me a great deal with sorting if you could indicate on the packages if the peppers are sweet or hot as many individuals in the last swap had clear preferences. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well.

3) If you send tomato seeds, you will receive tomato seeds in return. The same idea for peppers, unless you include a note indicating you want something different in return. You can also send in tomato seeds and ask for pepper seeds in return or visa versa, or any combination. I fully expect a large variety and volume of seed types to be able to accommodate this.

4) Please include a list of what you are sending, your wish list and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. It is very important to take the time to write out a list of what you are sending, otherwise I have to do it for you and I do not have time for that. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The variety will be completely dependent on what is sent in. In last year's swap, we were able to fill many items on people's wish lists so please take the time to prepare one - it will be worth your while.

5) You will need to mail your seeds inside a bubble envelope with a return label inside, along with the correct amount of return postage. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send your surprise seeds back to you. Return postage rates are as follows:

* If you live in Canada - $1.22 return postage stamps
* If you live in the US - $2.10 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)
* If you live outside Canada and US - $4.20 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)

All postage rates can be verified on the Canada Post website. For those outside of Canada, you will need to send enough funds to pay for return postage. You can either send concealed cash in the envelope or you could submit payment for postage via Paypal. Please DO NOT send stamps from your country. They will not work here in Canada :)

It's important that you send a regular bubble envelope and not the heavy cardboard insulated type. Weight restriction in this price category is 100g.

6) If you change your mind after registering, and no longer wish to participate, PLEASE notify me immediately so we do not delay the swap waiting for your seeds to arrive. This will also save me a great deal of time trying to follow up and track people down.

7) I will d-email you privately with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap. My address can also be found in the DG address exchange.

Any questions. Please let me know. Let's have fun exchanging seeds !!!!

Thanks……Heather

Quoting:I thought it would be fun if I reserved this spot to keep you up to date on the number of participants.

So far we have 109 participating in this exchange

This message was edited Oct 29, 2010 6:17 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #8069277

Sounds great please count me in.
Lisa
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #8069303

Please count me in, too.
Denise
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #8069772

I'll play. I have some seeds fermenting now. Should be dried by the end of the week.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8070239

Good timing. I'm just harvesting some of the good stuff I received last year. I'll be happy to participate again.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 30, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8070450

Welcome everybody. We're off to a good start and have 23 signed up in the first day !!! I've sent everyone a private d-mail with further instructions. Looking forward to another fun exchange.

...Heather
Allwild
North, TX

August 30, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #8070926

I am very happy to participate again this year! count me in too.
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

August 30, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8071017

Yay! I have been looking forward to this, Heather! Count me in, and thank you for being an awesome seed swap organizer!
Ana3
Nieuwegein
Netherlands
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #8072841

Sounds great, count me in too.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8073572

Me,too,please!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 31, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8073619

I think that you have counted me because I replied to your E-mail.
Caroline
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #8074185

I'm interested. Sounds like fun!
Karen
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #8074199

Glad you can join us everyone. This is shaping up to be a huge exchange. We've only been taking signups for a couple of days and we have 55 registered so far. Many more to come I'm sure.

I've sent everyone a private d-mail with further information. Please let me know if you have any questions.

By the way...I was asked if there's any minimum seed count to participate. Definitely not. Everyone has to start somewhere and even if you only have a couple of seed packs to send in, it will be worth your while. This exchange is a great way to expand your collection.

Thanks...Heather
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #8074651

Hi Heather,
Please add me to your list as well this year. Thank you for doing this again. I am so enjoying the harvests from some of last year's seeds I got in the exchange.
This year I will have to send only be able to send commercial heirloom seed as I have been away a total of 6 weeks out of this summer so never had a chance to bag them when they started to flower and it is too late in the season now. Anything I bag probably wouldn't ripen in time here. I had even bought all the material to bag them! Well next year is another one.

Jessica
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #8074890

I have decided to remove myself from this swap - as detailed in my e-mail to you.

Sounds like a wonderful trade though, and I am so impressed that you are willing to take on such a challenge!

Have fun everyone!!!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #8076102

Thanks to our most gracious hostess, I'm back in, and thrilled to be here.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #8076162

Welcome back Sequee !!!!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #8076254

~:-)

You are most accommodating!
Allwild
North, TX

September 2, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8076298

Glad whatever it was has worked out Sequee and that you're back!!!

Heather is the most wonderful hostess!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #8076315

I just didn't want to burden Heather with extra work, but she poopoo'd the thought of it! LOL!

Bless her - I get to play, too! (Said with a cackle and a gleam in my eyes!)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #8078430

I will be needing determinate varieties. Are there many and do they come in yellow and orange also? I am having to scale back to square foot and container gardening. Tried the indeterminate maters in the containers and it was a mess.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8078445

Not alot of them, but there are some.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

September 3, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #8078460

Hi Heather - I would love to be a part of your seed exchange if possible. Thanks, Nancy
czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

September 3, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #8078967

i would love to help with this!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #8079944

We're up to 64 participants so far. If you've been lurking and a little shy about joining in...come on..join in the fun...you know you want to !!! :)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #8079966

I can't believe you are taking this on Heather. You must be much more organized then me, but thank you.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #8079973

I'm doing the "scale of Justice" thing... Organized/Nuts, Organized/Nuts, Organized/Nuts! Joking, of course! I am totally in awe. I've seen swaps half this side reduce the organizers to tears, and have lived in fear of doing one myself. One year of hosting a Secret Santa swap was enough for me!

Blessings to you with a more solid constitution, that we may have such fun. I'm already making my lists and packing my seeds, though!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #8080066

You're not far off...I'm definitely half organized and more than half nuts.
I've got a pretty good system set up to manage it all...lots of spreadsheets...so it makes it much much easier.

I have lots of fun doing this as well.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #8080098

I think the distributing is definitely the fun part - what I hate most of all is packaging the seeds. That's why I pretty much stopped doing multiple trades. I get tense and it kind of sucks the fun out of it. This is cool, though, because we have so much time to get it done. If I start getting crazy, I can stop and come back to it tomorrow or next week, even!

And all this time to anticipate! Better'n Christmas!!!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #8080285

I like allowing lots of time for the exchange as well. It allows for a lot more people to join and I get seeds in the mail at a fairly steady pace. So I can take my time sorting and recording a few envelopes at a time.
It seems to go pretty smoothly...so far (fingers crossed).

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #8080357

Aw, OK! I have a few treasures to share. Please let me know the particulars and I will construct my list as well as pack some seeds.

~ Evelyn

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #8080479

EG-what tomato is that?
sanpedro
Espanola, NM
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8080828

hi - It's great of you to volunteer to do this and you can count me in as well.
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #8081587

Evelyn, is that OSU Blue?

OSU Blue 8/31/10

Thumbnail by Patti1957

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #8081636

And how do they taste???
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #8081733

Surprisingly not that bad, I have tasted much worse. I heard that they did not taste good at all so I was expecting a real spitter! I have been adding them with others in my salsa and also my tomato and cucumber salads, but if I want a tomato sandwich I would probably not pick that one when I have so many other big heirlooms out there just hollering for the mayo. LOL
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #8082272

Fair enough! Sounds like the Paris Hilton of tomatoes! Great when you want a good presentation, but not worthy of a stand-alone!

Ok - I admit it...I will try it!
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8083065

O.K I have never ever done a swap of this type but I think I might want to try this one if you guys will have me, I have saved lots of tomato and pepper seeds this summer.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #8083387

I'm in...with both peppers and tomato seeds.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #8083839

Lisa and Patti ~ Yes it is OSU Blue. One bush did not get the same coloring so I have emailed the person to see if they are the original seeds or ones she saved from them, as they may not come true from seed.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #8083972

That is strange. Please let us know what you find out.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #8084463

Can Medusa Pepper seeds be used in the trade? They are ornamental but edible, just wondering because these are seeds I saved myself and I'm sure they didn't cross because they are the only peppers that I have in the house ATM. They are viable I just started some.
Lisa
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 6, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8084499

Lisa,

It is my understanding that Medusa is a hybrid. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I've reasearched says they are a hybrid).

I wouldn't send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant (as per exchange guidelines), as the plant may not grow true to the original. We are only accepting f1 hybrid seeds that are commercially purchased in this exchange, as the recipient can be sure they are going to get what they're supposed to.

Hope this helps. Thanks...Heather
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #8084955

If its a hybrid I won't send it of course it was my understanding it is O/P. That's how its listed but I will make sure.
Thanks!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #8085950

Please add me!

I'm a beginner, but it sounds like I may swap commerical packets for more interesting varieties. I realize these are less desirable, so in return, I can take 'leftovers'.

I have a variety of different mesh wire cloth screens or seives, if anyone needs that. And I can get just about any mesh or opening size made.

Thanks very much for taking this on, Heather!

Rick Corey
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #8086014

Rick I'm sending mostly commercial varieties because I'm too disorganized to save seed, and I'm not a beginner. I'm sure you commercial seeds will be fine

Heather-DG PlantFiles has Medusa as O/P but I have plenty others to send so I won't bother with it.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 7, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #8086352

Rick, welcome aboard. Commercial varieties are always welcome. Because we have people participating from around the globe, what might be common in one part of the country, is probably less common somewhere else. It's a great way to expand your collection. I'll send you a private d-mail shortly with more info.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8087792

Thanks, guys!

I would be happy to trade several packets for one, and collect some cherry tomatoes, especially cool-summer tomatoes if there is such a thing. We have a long frost-free season in western Washington, but the warm part of the summer can be very short and not very hot.

I found some oddities from "Botanical Interests". They're odd to me, anyway.)
All but the "Ornamental Pepper on a Stick" are "heirlooms".

Tomato Bush "Green Zebra" BI # 0106
Tomato Bush "Silvery Fir Tree BI # 3104
Tomato Pole "Aunt Ruby's German Green" BI # 3003
Tomato Pole "Black Krim" BI # 3118
Tomato Pole "Speckled Roman" BI # 3090
Tomato Pole "Brandywine Red & Yellow" BI # 3130

Pepper Sweet "California Wonder: BI # 3032
Pepper Sweet "Yolo Wonder" BI # 0057

Ornamental Pepper "Pepper on a Stick" BI # 2020 hybrid?

nolansland
Santa Clara, CA

September 9, 2010
1:30 AM

Post #8088495

Heather, thanks for organizing this. I would like to be included. I have mostly commercial varieties to trade and some open poll but I don't think I can save the seed from them because I planted so many varieties too close together. So, I will just trade the commercial ones.

Patty
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 12, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8094461

We're up to 78 participants...so far.

Don't be shy...if you've been sitting on the sidelines debating whether or not to join in...just dive in. This exchange is open to everyone from around the world. There will be lots of great varieties.

We have a few newbies joining us this year as well and I'm really looking forward to introducing them to some great varieties and getting them "hooked" on this obsession we have !!!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #8121527

Thanks so much for organizing this seed swap, love grape tomatoes and sweet unusual peppers, so I'll be purchasing my seeds to share from the commercial sources. Tomato sandwiches with Hellman's mayo on home made onion dill bread were just SUPERB this year.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #8122279

I'd like to be included too, Heather. I'll send heirlooms and a few F1 hybrids, all from commercial sources, since I plant my 'maters too close to each other to be absolutely sure about the seeds.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8122510

We're up to 85 participants. Come join in the fun if you haven't signed up already.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8124852

Today I received seeds from:

* Carminator1
* NF2932

These envelopes could have arrived anytime within the last week, but I had my mail held by the post office while I was away on business.

Thanks...Heather
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #8124945

Lisa and Patti ~ My seed trader never got back with me on the OSU Blue. I am saving some seeds from the healthiest plant which is extremely prolific. I am thinking of crossing it with a purple tomato as it is red inside, it just has a "blue" suntan, making the skin appear purple...LOL!!

Where the sun does not reach, it is red. Now did that come out right? Whoops! Sorry!! ROFLOL!!!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2010
11:51 PM

Post #8130986

I was planning to just put commercial packets of seed whole, then realized some people might prefer smaller quantities but more variety

It would be easy for me to split each packet I send in half, and label each ziplock separately.

Would that be more convenient, or does it just make a mess?
Whole packets only have 150 mg each.

Corey
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #8131018

Corey, could you open the pack and divide by making as many packs as possible with the required 10 seeds in each? Any over the five of one type of one variety that we are allowed to send would just be extras to distribute among the participants.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 1, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8131274

Hi Corey,

I agree with Mittsy's suggestion above. You'll get more bang for your buck by splitting the commercial packs into smaller packets/ziplock baggies. You can send up to 5 of the same type of seed. some of those commercial packets could easily break into 5 smaller seed packets. My goal is not not send any duplicates back to any one person, so the more you are able to send in, the more variety you will get in return.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #8132009

Subdividing sounds good to me. Variety is good. In some cases I got 2 commerical pkts, so I might have 300 mg of some types. i'll just split those into 5 ziplocks, and there will be more than 10 seeds each.

I will try to capture as much text as I can from each seed pkt that describes unique features of that variety, but I won't include any advice that just applies to all tomatoes (or peppers) in general. I figure you guys know all that!

These Botanical Interests seed pkts fill the entire inside of the pkt with text.

I may have to go to a font size smaller than "10". If I decide to fold the label to fit into the ziplock, I might use 2x2" ziplocks instead of 2x3.

And I'll include the "product number" and vendor in each ziplock so recipients can look them up online and see a picture.

Corey
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #8132085

Corey,
Are you trying to make the reast of us look bad? LOL

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #8132095

Tee hee. As if. If only!

If ANYthing I plant survives the rains, cold weather, mold, slugs, cats, heavy clay, squirrels and my clumsiness and lack of time, THEN I may try to show off. Check back with me in the year 2025.

Until then, my Ziplocks will be tidy and verbosely labelled. Besides, I can do that sitting down, at night, and during heavy rain. And the printer at work means you won't have to try to read my handwriting.

I was delighted to learn that I could send commercial seed. My own seed-saver technique is just barely up to Zinnias, Bok Choy, Petunias and Morning Glories.

Some day ...

Corey
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8132100

Lets face it all seeds are a commercial varitiety even if we saved the seeds this time. I trust the seed companies much more so then I trust myself.
Lisa

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #8132263

Has anyone had luck with using ground or sprayed hot peppers or cayenne pepper to repel squirrels or slugs or cats?

I'm about to plant some bulbs, but any time I turn and rake the soil, it looks like a catbox within a day, dug full of holes. I think this is squirrels rather than cats (but we have lots of both, and armies of slugs).

Any suggestion for types of peppers or application methods?
This year I'll buy a big bag of Szechuan or Mexican hot peppers, but next year might try to grow my own crop.

Would I need to re-apply pepper dust or spray every time it rains (almost every day)?

I also just bought 50' of chicken wire (hex netting). I just hope they have enough other food sources that they won't chew through the wire netting. If it's netting plus hot pepper, maybe they will harass my neighbors first.

I've heard good things about Liquid Fence, but re-applying that every time it rains will get expensive.

Corey

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2010
1:10 AM

Post #8132687

I have my labels mostly formatted to fit in 2"x3" Ziplocks, double-sided with extracts from the text on the OUTSIDE of the packets.

Samples:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Green Zebra Tomato
Bush Determinate
75 days
Very flavorful. Sweet yet zingy.
Well-balanced – not too acidic.
Essentially crack free
tennis ball size: 3”, 3 oz
rich, golden green with
forest green stripes
old Heirloom,
unique color
RickCorey_WA
Botanical Interests 2010

---------------------------
Silvery Fir Tree Tomato
Determinate
58 days

compact - 24” tall
silvery, ferny,
carrot-like foliage
pretty in containers

slightly tart classic Tomato flavor
Heirloom
RickCorey_WA
Botanical Interests 2010

----------------------------
Sweet Bell Pepper (red)
“Yolo Wonder”

75 days high yielding

green bell pepper sweetens
& turns red on the vine
large, thick-skinned
tasty
can be roasted or
stuffed & baked or
salads or snacks
can be container grown
& picked green or red
Heirloom
RickCorey_WA
Botanical Interests 2010

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8132837

I'll try to send mine off by the first of the week, I'll have around 20-30 varieties a mix of peppers and tomatoes. I lean heavily towards the blacks and purples but will have some reds and pinks as well.

Partial list below

Mule Team
Mortgage Lifter
Sioux
Nyagous
Neves Azorean Red
Chapman
Black
Abraham Lincoln
Paul Robeson
Royal Hillbilly
Bounty Hybrid (pepper)
Habanero Brown (pepper)
Wisconsin 55
Cherokee Purple
Black Krim
Box Car Willie
Biant Belgium
Southern Nights
Aker's West Virgina
BFT
Satsuma (pepper)

These are all commercial seeds as I don't save my own, most come from either TGS, Bakers Creek or TF.

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 2, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #8132946

Corey,

You were asking for an opinion on the application of hot pepper spray or powder to repel cats and squirrels. I personally don't believe in using this method because what a lot of people don't realize is that this can be very harmful to animals. If a cat or squirrel gets this on their paws and then into their eyes (part of regular cleaning ritual), they can and will literally scratch their eyes out trying to get rid of the burn.

Have you tried mothballs around the perimeter (I know it's not the most environmentally friendly), or bloodmeal (keeps squirrels out, but doubt it would deter cats).

Food for thought. Thanks...Heather
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #8132972

Corey,
I second Heather's idea. If you use mothballs you can put them in a used plastic soda/water bottle with some holes poked in it and put the top back on. You can even hang the bottle up. By doing this the critters never come in contact with the mothballs.

Pepper spray can be alot of prep work with min. results.
Also, can u keep ur extreme organizational skills to yourself? (teasing)
I'm going to keep how I'm doing mine all to myself. hehe

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #8133230

Thanks Heather. That never occured to me. I had heard it suggested so many times I assumed it was safe - just maybe not effective.

1lisac,
Everyone (including my bosses) tells me that I'm too detail-oriented and want to give too much information. But it seems to me that the ENTIRE rest of the world is wrong and I'm right. EVERONE should be fascinated and delighted by minutia. Sigh (also teasing).

This principle of of illogic was a gift to me during an argument I had with someone about religion. Silly me, I pointed out how almost everyone also used her argument, but came to different conclusions.

Her reply was a real gift, and I want to share it with everyone who is as stubburn as I am, because it's a great comfort:

"What you have to remember is ... they're all wrong!!

Q.E.D. and :-)

Corey
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #8134043

^-^

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #8134241

I just went to the fruit stand one block from my house. A lot of their fruit comes up from Mexico, and they have LOTs of hot peppers at this time of year.

I got a half pound of smallish but long dark red dried Szechuan-looking peppers. They can't be VERY hot because I chewed a small amount of the flesh and it only hurt a little. I plan to flake them with a coffee grinder and distribute it liberally as flakes (not dust), under chicken netting where only actively invading squirrels can get at it.

I also got two ounces of Guajillo Chile powder. They had three kinds of chile powder, I tried to guess which was hottest and stinkiest through the cellophane. I later found it did have a heavy, musky, ominous odor. I would think twice before burrowing into something that smelled that way from a foot away!

When I brought it to the register, looking all gringo-and-whitebread, he asked if I was using that for cooking, ... and seemed relieved when I said "no, for scaring squirrels. Which of those three chile powders do you think would be best?"

Immediate nod. "That one!"

At this time of year in western WA, it will be easy to sprinkle it only on wet soil, under the wire.

I bought a few very pretty little orange Habanero peppers, if I have escalate past Guajillo Chile powder. I'm drying those innocent-looking babies just in case. If I have to put down flakes of that, I'll find more ways to secure the chicken wire, both to keep squirrels out and keep the Habaneros in. I half-expected to see a bio-hazard label.

I confess that may be more detail than anyone wanted.

Corey

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 4, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #8136802

Planting daffodils or other "deer resistant" bulbs above the tulips will keep squirrels from
digging too many. If I use pepper, then I put it down with the bulbs since it washes away.
So does bloodmeal when it rains. Best plan is the chicken wire or some use squares of snow fencing
held down by garden staples. I tried baskets over the bulbs one year and the squirrels just dug in from the sides to the plantings. This year I am burying mothballs along with the bulbs. I am hoping this discourages
dogs also, as I have lost several nice plants because of irresponsible dog owners.
I discourage cats by placing tomato wires on their side over new plantings. Citrus rinds are supposed to discourage cats. They work for awhile while the odor of the oranges is there.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2010
11:19 AM

Post #8136919

>> Planting daffodils or other "deer resistant" bulbs above the tulips will keep squirrels from
digging too many.

Good idea, but for some reason my crocuses, iris and hyacinths were delivered before my daffodils (two different companies).

>> If I use pepper, then I put it down with the bulbs

Good idea. I was also thinking of burying some landmines (hot pepper flakes, maybe even Habanero flakes). That way no animals would be exposed to them unless they were actively digging.

>> This year I am burying mothballs along with the bulbs.

I've heard that suggested several times, but I have a prejudice against aromatic hydrocarbons. Many are toxic or crcinogenic & some are persistent. Old mothballs may contain naphthalene, newer mothballs 1,4-dichlorobenzene Either may have camphor added. despite these being commonly avauilable, they seem to be quite toxic if swallowed - shouldn't the vapor alsdo be toxic?

I guess it's all a matter of degree.

Corey

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 5, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #8138594

Yes, aromatic hydrocarbons are toxic. But a small amount from a few garden plantings
should not be all that bad. The diesel engines in trucks probably spew a great deal more.
The naphthalene or 1,2 dichloro benzene sublime very slowly, so only a few milligrams
go into the atmosphere.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #8139317

Say, is there any trick to drying peppers? I left some habanero peppers in the sun, but rotten spots are spreading and I don't see any wirnkling yet.

Here's a post in another thread on the chemistry and use of chili peppers in warfare.
Post #8139293

I agree that gardening probably pollutes 1,000,000 times less than cars and trucks or the chemical industry, but as I say, I have a prejudice against aromatic hydrocarbons, more for their carcinogenicity than toxicty. Toxic things only kill you.

When I worked in the animal room in college, I saw grad students weighing rats and their tumors. Sometimes the tumors were more than 50% of the body weight. When I worked in the chemical industry, I was as careful about carcinogens as sulfuric or nitric acid.

When the "Nutrition and Food Science" department had a picnic, all these PhDs and grad students hovered around a smoky charcoal grill reeking of lighter fluid and burnt hot dogs, discussing their research work on the toxicicity of aromatic hydrocarbons, nitrites and N-nitroso compounds were (smoke & lighter fluid = AH. Hot dogs = nitrites. Scorching nitrites with protein creates N-nitroso compounds).

Corey

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #8139323

Corey-I love all the info. but it makes my brain hurt.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8139346

Not as much as the peppers would make your tounge hurt!

Corey
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 5, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #8139554

Well I see that garlic bulbs are not attractive to deer.
Would they keep other critters away from the peonies and bulbs?
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8139559

Corey, about drying peppers - I have always waited until they were ripe (full color), and then string them up with a needle and heavy thread (be sure to leave a good sized knot at the end). I find that it's easiest to leave a little bit of the stem on the pepper, and poke the needle through the thickest part of the stem, where the stem meets the pepper. Thread the peppers loosely, and hang them where they are not touching anything. It should be a dry place, and not in the sun. When I want to use a dry one for cooking, I just break off one from the bottom. I've included a picture of two strings of chiles I've dried in my kitchen. The string on the left is Long Red Cayenne and on the right is Super Chile. Maybe this is more than you wanted to know. Just thought I'd share.

Thumbnail by busy_gardener

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #8139591

Thnaks, I will "string 'em high". That gets them off the kitchen table.

I bought the red chilis "mostly dry", but the habaneros are fresh / wet. they haven't even wilted or wrinkled in several days, and they get sun through a window for several hours per day.

Corey
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2010
11:36 PM

Post #8140461

RickCorey_WA wrote:Say, is there any trick to drying peppers? I left some habanero peppers in the sun, but rotten spots are spreading and I don't see any wirnkling yet.

Stringing is one way to do it, and I've used it. But when I have just a few, I put a small slit or two in each and just lay them out of the way on a paper plate.

Russ

busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #8141146

Since I'm new to this Tomato/Pepper Seed Trading, I wanted to ask a question about bags that people are using. Corey, I saw that you said that you were using 2 x 3 inch ziploc bags. Is 2 ml adequate? Did you order those online? I looked online, and several places offer them. Are there any online or retail places you recommend? Are you placing a piece of paper with the information in the ziploc bag with each bag of seeds, or are you putting a an address label type sticker with the information on the outside of the bag of seeds? Does this all sound complicated? I just want to do this so shipping is economical, and I'm in line with what other people are doing. Maybe other people are wondering also.
Hope habaneros are drying successfully!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8141216

I get my baggies from Hobby Lobby and I talked to Heather about labling. I'm writting name of seeds, number of seeds, where they came from, and my DG user name on the baggies themselves. This way the info can't get seperated from the seeds. This is just how I'm doing it I'm sure there are many other effective ways.
Lisa
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8141284

Plastic isn't the greatest storage method, because of the moisture..Coin envelopes work well.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8141315

Hi Busy!

I'm a New Bee also. I found the 2x3 ziplocks plenty big for the small amounts of seed I have to offer (except for Snow Peas). I have access to a laser printer at work, and 10-point font is readable, so I go crazy putting as much text as I can onto double-sided paper labels inside the zip-locks. If I think anyone might take out a few seeds and leave the rest for someone else, I put in multiple labels. But I think this is going overboard, maybe even bordering on OCD. But it makes me happy!

(I didn't have any havy thread other than very heavy waxed thread/twine which seemed icky for chilis that I may also cook with. For the pretty-dry half-pound batches of Anaheim chilis and (I guess) small red Thai chilis, I have been just spreading them out inside paper bags on their side. I think I'll be transfering them to big organza bags when they feel dry enough. But I may yet string up the wet Habaneros that are going so slowly.)

I have not found any online store that beats Wal-Mart's price for Zip-locks! Around 1 cent each. The "Crafts" or "beading" section. And these Zip-locks seem cheaper than any other option, unless you tape your own packets out of recycled US mail envelopes from bills and ads.

But I used "Clearbags" for something, I think glassines and 2x2 ziplocks. I had to increase my order up to something like $40 and then the shipping cost mysteriously decreased by a lot. http://www.clearbags.com/stationery/envelopes/translucent-en...

And "Gifts International" for seed-collecting Organza bags (WEBSITE: http://www.giftsintl.com)

http://www.fetpak.com has great prices on many things if you buy moderate quantitites, and a killer special sale on TINY colored 5/8" x 5/8" ziplocks ... but a $7 handling fee for orders under $100.

Kraft paper coin envelopes I got from Staples in a big box, though not every local Staples had them in stock, and I thoguht they were expensive (~~ 4 cents each?)

Mostly, online sites' prices with shipping only seem like a good deal if you are buying $50 or so in one order, suggesting that a co-op purchase would be more efficient. If you just need a few seed-collecting mesh bags or want to try glassine envelopes, let me know and I'll send some. I think I have enough for several lifetimes!

Thanks, Russ, I had not thought of slitting them. (I'm a little afraid of touching them!)

Corey

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #8141358

Araness,

>> Plastic isn't the greatest storage method, because of the moisture..Coin envelopes work well.

Many people agree with you strongly.

My theory is that the seeds need to be dry enough BEFORE going into storage. Once well-dried, I believe that plastic protects them from swings in humidity - I live in the Pacific NorthWet, and it rains a lot, most of the year.

I only use paper while they are still drying, which can take weeks where I live. Folded coffee filters or coin envelopes or paper trays.

Once well-dried, I store seeds inside in 2x3 Ziplocks, inside 3x4 Ziplocks, inside big plastic jars with dessicant.

I read up on it, partly at the "Drierite" website. It turns out that polyethylene lets water vapor through gradually, and I figure that the "zip" is far from a heremtic seal.

Hence if my seed starts out dry enough not to rot, and goes into a plastic Ziplock in a jar with dessicant, my risk is greater that they will become too dry, than rot. I've read that ideal conditions for most seeds are 10% or less RH, with seed water content around 8%.

I think there are many kinds and thicknesses of polyethylene, and also other plastics that may form more of a barrier. Polycarbonate?

Here is what decided me firmly against paper in a humid climate:

I have humidity-indicator strips inside my jars. I had packed some commercial Bok Choy seeds in Kraft paper envelopes, lots of them, each with just a little seed, so i could trade or sow small batches without fiddling.

In that jar, even with industrial-strength dessicant, the humidity shot up to 30% for weeks, while the dessicant slowly pulled humidty out of the paper envelopes. Then the dessicant became exhausted, and I replaced the spent Drierite with fresh Drierite plus silica gel. THAT finally was able to overcome the humidifying effect of the paper.

And I recall from living in a basement how carboard boxes pulled humidty out of the air, and held it against the contents for months after the air dried out.

So I'm down on papper and up on plastic-plus-dessicant for storing dried seeds in humid climates.
But many people agree with you.
I think a majority of seed-nuts store in paper in open or semi-sealed containers with no dessicant ... in moderately dry locations, or at least where humidity doesn't cycle from 100% to 30% every few days.

And I agree that plastic would cause rot while drying seeds.

(End of rant.)

Corey
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #8141377

Thanks for the info on the bags. It clears things up for me. I'll look at Walmart, JoAnn's, and Hobby Lobby to check out prices.
When I string peppers, I use heavy duty cotton thread for buttons, carpet,and hand sewing. I have one spool that I've had for a long time and it's come in handy. It says 60 cents on the spool, and a spool of thread hasn't cost that much in years.
You may be bordering on OCD, but I think we all have a little in us.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8141435

Corey depends on you climate, I live in a VERY humid place and doesn't matter if the seed was dry as dust before putting it in the plastic it will accumulate after. I've tried both methods (btw I only use commercial seeds) and I find that the paper does the best. I also store them with the humidity packets that come in shoes, electronics etc.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #8142090

Heather,

If I get my seeds all packed up, can I send them now? Or should I wait closer to the end of October to send them?

Corey
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #8142176

Araness-totally off topic, but didn't you grow Fireworks this year? If so how did it do for you?
Corey- I think you can send your seeds now, some people already have, that way she doesn't get them all at once.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8142439

yes I did, was ok iin taste and produced well in our weather. Humm..dang I forgot the hybrid I was impressed by..let me ask I01 what it was...she'll remember.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8142599

araness-At least you got to taste it. I think IO1 grew Fireworks too.

OK back to seed trading
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #8142648

Corey...by all means...send your seeds in whenever you have them ready. I'll keep posting updates on this main thread as seed envelopes are received.

Thanks...Heather
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8143052

yep and the one I liked so much I got from her I think...
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 8, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #8145848

We're up to 100 participants. Looking to break last years record of 120. Come join in the fun !!!!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #8158861

We're up to 104 participants. If anyone has been lurking...there's still time to join. If you live in the US or Canada, as long as you're able to mail your seeds by Nov 1, they should get here in time. For those living outside Canada and the US, you still have time if you can mail your seeds within the next week or so.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #8161055

My seeds were mailed on Friday.
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #8162554

My seeds were mailed today. Since this was the first time sending to Canada, I didn't know I had to fill out a customs form. You need to know the weight of the package in ounces and approximate value. Otherwise nothing difficult. Grab the form and fill it out before you get in line, or you have to wait in line twice.
I sent...
Fish hot pepper
Poinsettia hot pepper
Beaver Dam hot pepper
Wisconsin Lakes sweet pepper
Sheepnose Pimento sweet pepper
Silvery Fir Tree Tomato
Riesentraube Cherry Tomato
Purple Russian Tomato
Mortgage Lifter (pink) Tomato
Moonglow Tomato
Sugary Cherry Tomato Hybrid
Yellow Tumbling Tom Cherry Tomato hybrid
Wisconsin 55 Tomato
Japanese Black Trifele Tomato

I'm getting excited to see what surprises will await me!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #8162747

I was afraid that after I wrote in "seeds", the postal clerk would go 'postal' and tell me
"You can't send SEEDs to CANADA, you idiot!"

But no, there was no problem.

Corey
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 18, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #8162802

thanks for the updates everyone. It's definitely not a problem sending seeds to Canada. Whether or not you have to fill out a customs form, completely depends on your post office. More than half the envelopes I receive have no customs form on them and it's absolutely fine. You will need to allow a couple of weeks for seeds to arrive if you are sending from the US.

Thanks...Heather
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8162830

Corey,I was just wondering that. Thanks for clearing that issue up. Mine will be in the mail in the next day or two. Note to self: Do not wipe your eyes without washing your hands after handling Chiltepin seeds!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 18, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #8163016

Today I received seeds from "gardadore".

Thanks...Heather
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #8163405

I'm relieved to hear that they arrived! My seeds were postmarked Oct. 6 so took 12 days to get from Pa to Canada. Heather is right when she says it can take up to two weeks from the US! I don't believe they took that long last year - about 8 days if I am right. I had to fill out a form both times.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #8164337

The bird has flown...
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 19, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #8164455

Today I received seeds from "DonShirer".

Thanks...Heather
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8166843

Will you be posting a list with all the participants on it? I think it would be great fun to see how vast our network is for this trade. (I'm already excited beyond words. Kind of a nice treat now that I am in the midst of tearing down the gardens for the season. I picked about 3 pounds of tomatoes this evening, along with a quart of beans, some snow peas, Swiss chard, Malabar Spinach, and a few Okra. Over the weekend I cleaned out three of the 2'x4' beds and prepped them for winter. Night, night, ya'll!)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 20, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #8167032

Hi Sequee,

I won't be posting a list of the participants, as I wouldn't be able to do that without also listing the "other" forums people belong to. That's strictly against d.g. rules.

I'm sure having a lot of fun sorting through all the seeds that are coming in. Lots of great varieties :)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8168071

Say, did anyone send in "Tommy Toe" cherry tomatoes? I would like to add that my Wish List, and I know that NisiNJ is looking for Tommy Toe.

Corey

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #8168088

I'm sorry, it is "Maxine", not "NisiNJ" who told me about Tommy Toe.

Corey
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8168090

I'll add "tommy toe" to your wish list Corey.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8168306

Thank you very much.

However, if it turns out to be in short supply, I just this moment ordered a packet from Holland, from a very nice lady named Jonna Sudenius who got good reviews in DG..

http://www.seedsite.eu/r__t_3.htm

Corey
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #8168751

She's a great gal! I woulda been happy to send you some, too.

Didn'trealize you were doing diff sites, hmac - how cool is that!? I was already blown away... but, wow! Your organizational skills are incredible!

God bless!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8168847

Yup...got a few different sites involved and even a few people that are not yet members of any site. My philosophy is...the more people we get involved in the swap, the bigger variety, and the better chance of getting some interesting varieties into everyone's hands. Really hoping to fill at least a few items on everyone's wish lists.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 22, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8169252

As a friendly reminder...if there's anyone that previously signed up for the swap, but has changed their mind for any reason - please get in touch with me to advise so I don't hold up the swap unnecessarily waiting for an envelope that isn't coming.

Thanks for your consideration everyone.

Still time to sign up if you haven't already done so. We're up to 106 participants and lots of great seeds coming in.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 23, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8172004

For any lurkers out there, the last day to sign up for this exchange is October 29th !!!. You must be able to mail your seeds no later than November 1st for them to get here on time.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8172051

Got my envy all ready to go to the PO on Monday. Really looking forward to this swap again.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #8172695

Hi again everyone,

If it's not too much trouble, if I haven't already confirmed receipt of your seeds, could I ask you to let me know when you've sent your seeds? It helps me with organizing the exchange. Thanks in advance...Heather

This message was edited Oct 24, 2010 3:31 PM
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #8173057

My customs form is dated October 15th. from Cocoa Beach, FL.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #8173685

Would that be the Cocoa beach right near Syracuse???
(Cracked me up when I saw it... Until I realized that YOU were in sunny Florida, while I was out picking tomatoes in the snow flurries yesterday!)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #8175063

I sent mine this morning. I live in a small town and it really thru them off that I was shipping out of the country. They had me fill out the wrong form, then they filled out the right one. You would have thought I was sending them to Mars.
Allwild
North, TX

October 25, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #8175181

I sent my seeds out this morning.

LOL1lisac! I had the same issues here; but they are getting better since I moved to town and send seeds all over the place. HA! :-)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #8175845

Today, I received seeds from:

* kygreg2000

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 26, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #8178512

*RickCorey_WA
*Sequee

Thanks...Heather
blueskyfd11
Harrison Valley, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #8178883

Is it still open to join? I know it is late...unemployed to long, no money to spend for shipping until today! Now if it is still possible, would really like to join. Can send seeds in today or the 29th.
blue
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 27, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #8178950

Welcome blueskyfd11,

Still time to join. Welcome! I just sent you a d-mail with more info.

Thanks...Heather
blueskyfd11
Harrison Valley, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #8179294

Hi hmacdona, thank you for the welcome! I am working on seeds in between this posting. Will get these out today. Very excited I could join...just in time to!
BossMareNY6a
Brewster, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #8180179

I would love to join, have lots of 2010 seeds left, most organic and/or heirloom, or otherwise unusual. I will def send out by the 1st and prob even sooner.

Thx!
Kerry
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2010
2:33 AM

Post #8182534

Yesterday (Oct 28) I received seeds from "mittsy".

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY FOR SIGNUPS !!!!

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #8183155

Today, I received seeds from "Mooiemoestuin".

Thanks...Heather

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY FOR SIGNUPS !!!! :)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8184126

THIS EXCHANGE IS NOW CLOSED. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW PARTICIPANTS.

I WILL CONTINUE TO POST UPDATES AS SEED ENVELOPES ARE RECEIVED.

THANKS...HEATHER
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 31, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8186570

I have a few miscellaneous vegetable seeds to give away to participants of this exchange. First come first serve. Remember...I am posting this offer in a few different forums to make it available to all participants.

* OUT
* OUT
* OUT
* OUT
* OUT
* OUT
* Thai Eggplant-Pattern Green (commercial seed I purchased)
* OUT
* Chinese Cabbage (commercial seed I purchased)
* OUT
* OUT

I have very limited quantities of some of these. If interested, respond with your top 3 choices in order of preference. How many you get, or whether or not you get any will depend on the total number of respondents and who has responded first. I will be distributing in the order I receive requests from all forums.

Please respond no later than November 5th.

Thanks...Heather

PS...will be deleting seed types once the supply is out.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2010 8:11 PM

This message was edited Nov 5, 2010 11:51 PM

This message was edited Nov 6, 2010 12:17 AM
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #8187174

Banana melon, please. 4 or 5 seeds would be plenty.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8187591

Banana Melon 3-6 seeds would be great.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #8187683

Any eggplant and/or the tomatillo. I sent you a Dmail.
Thanks,
Lisa
Allwild
North, TX

November 1, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #8188002

I would love to try the Soloist Chinese cabbage, or any one of the eggplants.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #8188053

Would love to try Thai or Udmalbet eggplant. Thanks!
czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

November 1, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #8188123

georgia rattlesnake melon sounds interesting! and the purple tomatillo. would like some of each.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #8188124

It would be interesting to try a few seeds of the Thai eggplant. Thanks.
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

November 1, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #8188545

Hi, Heather! I would love to try a few seeds of any of the following: Long Purple Eggplant, Thai Eggplant-Pattern Green, and/or Tomatillo Purple. Thanks!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8188807

Hi, Heather!

Purple tomatillo would be a match for me, thanks! I would love to have some of that seed. Also the long purple eggplant if no one else wants it. We love eggplant! (Also salsa!)

Thanks so much,

Evelyn
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 1, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8189277

Today, I received seeds from "busy_gardener".

Thanks...Heather
blueskyfd11
Harrison Valley, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #8189845

Would like the Chinese cabbage and the Soloist Chinese cabbage if possible? Thank you for offering these
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #8190453

Here is the list of seeds I am sending. Could everyone post their list so we could make our wish list? I have no idea of what seeds are being sent, and it would be quite a task for Heather to post the master list. Thanks! I do not need 20+ extra tomato seeds, but just a few new ones to me I would like to try. These are the one I am sending...

Anaheim hot pepper (mild)
New Mex Sunrise (hot)

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
Garden Peach
(Golden) Jubilee - 5 pks
OSU Blue - 2 pks
Homestead - 3 pks
Pineapple
Ponderosa Pink - 2 pks
Razzleberry Hybrid
Roma
Tiny Tim - 2 pks
Ultimate Giant
Yellow Stuffer

edited for spelling...
~ Evelyn

This message was edited Nov 2, 2010 3:03 PM
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #8190524

I am interested in Chocolate Cherry tomato and any "heart/hart" tomatoes. Also mild chilies...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #8190551

I put these in, all commerical. All OP / Heirloom except the ornamental pepper

Tomato Bush "Green Zebra"
Tomato Bush "Silvery Fir Tree"
Tomato Pole "Aunt Ruby's German Green"
Tomato Pole "Black Krim"
Tomato Pole "Speckled Roman"
Tomato Pole "Brandywine Red & Yellow"
Pepper Sweet "California Wonder"
Pepper Sweet "Yolo Wonder"
Ornamental Pepper "Pepper on a Stick" commercial. ?hybrid?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #8190725

As has been posted through out this thread, Heather is also going through 2 other gardening sites so if you list what you sent here, which I'm not, you wont have a complete list anyway : ). I made out a wish list but will be happy with whatever I get. I figure after we receive our seeds we can do trades if we need to.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8190777

Most of mine were from commercial sources. I wrote on the pkg. what company and the date issued, or if they were from a trade The only hybrid was Park's Razzleberry Hybrid, the rest are all OP. As far as I know, they are all heirlooms as well.

~ Evelyn
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2010

Post #8191231

Evelyn-was Razzleberry good? I only grow o/ps but I may have to branch out. Lord help this is an addiction.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 2, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #8191612

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder, that this is considered a surprise swap, so no master list will be posted. I do ask however, that you provide me with your wish list of seeds you may be looking for. I will do my best at my end to be fair to all concerned and try to fill wish lists as best I can.

If you did not provide your wish list in the envelope you sent in, could I ask you to send a private d-mail with your wish list as opposed to posting your wish list in this main thread. I have over 100 people participating in this swap, and I won't be able to scroll back over all the miscellaneous postings to see if a wish list may have been posted. I keep all notes from participants sorted accordingly.

Thanks so much everyone.

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 2, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #8191614

*Cajuninky
* Nisinj

Thanks...Heather
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8192051

So glad they got there. I am really excited about this swap. I enjoyed it so much last year. Thanks for taking this on.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8192095

I'm glad this will be a Surprise Swap. Makes it that much more exciting!!!

I was disappointed with Razzleberry. It was very pretty, but rather average tasting...but maybe I was expecting too much. I always buy into the descriptions, except perhaps Laurels becasue ALL of hers are PERFECT, LOL! And I do like her alot. I got most of my seedlings from her before I started growing my own (and realizing that sellers' descriptions were, ummm, let'sfind a good word for this... How's over-the-top?)

This message was edited Nov 3, 2010 2:22 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8192187

Also, growing conditions play a big factor when it comes to taste. This summer the NE got a taste of Texas weather. I think where you grow your plants can really influence the taste. How anything grows here is a complete mystery to me.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 4, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8194167

All asparagus beans are now spoken for.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2010 8:10 PM
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2010

Post #8194385

Heather, I would be interested in Asparagus Beans (foot long) if you have enough. Thanks
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #8194877

Heather ~ The seeds went out yesterday (global) priority mail.

Sequee ~ I have not yet tried the Razzleberry. I got them free included with a couple of Park Seeds orders. I kept one pkt. for myself and the other one has gone to Heather.

Lisa ~ You are so right about growing conditions...I planted out 3 square foot gardens of standard tomatoes and the ones that were planted first did so much more poorly then the ones that were planted later. I guess they did not like snow. I covered them, but the snow was very late..in May! Also they may have been missing one of the soil amendments that the later ones got, I will have to check my garden diary against the dates of the reciepts to determine that. I must learn to keep notes on everything, not just date planted. All good gardeners keep better records than I do. Maybe I will learn... The best tomato was over all the OSU blue as not only grew well but a "bumper harvest". (Still the one I planted in the first box barely grew. HMMMM.)

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #8195054

These last couple of years have been odd with atmospheric conditions. I would not automatically toss out anything I've grown during this time without trying it another time. I'm just really glad that my first few seasons weren't the past few seasons, or they might have been my last. Hard to put out so much effort, and feel like you're fighting a war each season.

That being said...Is it Spring yet???
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2010
3:38 AM

Post #8195398

OSU? _______________ State University?
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #8195537

I think that is Jim Meyers at Oregon State University who developed the blue tomatoes. (I went to another OSU but once did give a talk at a meeting in Corvallis--it's way out in the middle of nowhere!)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8196273

Oregon State University...sorry! There are many OSU's!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #8196312

I am thinking to cross this one with a purple tomato, as the flesh of this tomato is red. It just gets a blue sunburn/sunblue?? (Not a suntan...for sure..)Where the sun does not strike it, it stays red...well green then red. A very interesting tomato for sure. I happen to like it because it is sweet, but others may find that it doesn't have enough of the "tomatoey" flavor. (...which is fine by me...)
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2010
12:15 AM

Post #8197064

For veggie seed giveaways, I only have the following seeds left:

* Thai Eggplant(Pattern Green)-from commercial seeds I purchased
* Chinese Cabbage - from commercial seeds I purchased.

Let me know asap if you're interested in one or both of these. Thanks...Heather

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #8197715

If the chinese cabbage is "celery-like", like Bok Choy or Pak Choi, (Chinensis) I would be very interested.

If it is the tighly-wrapped "cabbage-like Napa or Michili (Pekinensis), I would pass.

Thank you, either way.

Corey

P.S. I really apporve of nomenclature like this:
- - - - - da baicai . . . meaning "large white vegetable"
Say it like it is! Yeah!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #8198150

Hi Corey,

I can't tell you what the cabbage is like to be honest. I purchased a bulk pack to distribute in this swap and have not yet grown any. None of the package writing is in english, so that's of no help.

Let me know what you want to do.

Thanks...Heather

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #8198172

That does sound intruiging! I would love some, to grow and thus identify. I haven't grow or eaten either Napa or Michili in ages, maybe my tastes have changed and I'll wnat some of those instead of chard.

If the writing is not ideographs, do any words look like either of these words:
shakushina or chingensai ?

And I want to reccomend "Kitazawa Seeds" for any Asian seeds, though I guess there is not huge demand for that on this thread.

Corey

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8198262

I'll set some aside for you Corey. I threw the original packaging out after I separated the seeds into individual baggies. I do remember it was Aeroplane brand commercial seeds. They came from Thailand.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #8198283

OK since you mentioned its from Thailand I would like some too. Veggies from Thailand do really well here. Have you gotten my package yet? It was sent on the 25 of Oct. but since they acted like Canada was on the edge of the earth it made me a little concerned.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8198315

>> they acted like Canada was on the edge of the earth ...

I was lost once in a town in the woods, and a local guy kindly gave me directions.
Told me how to get to a certain road, then went into histrionics, waving, grimacing and using body language to explain how far to go, to get to where I was looking for.

"You keep going and going, and going farther, past that and just KEEP ON GOING ALL the WAY and farther ... it's almost all the way to the NEXT TOWN."

Corey

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8198394

That's what I tell people when I give them directions to my farm. "When you think you've gone too far you haven't, just keep going".
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 7, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8199004

1lisac, I haven't received your package yet. I will post updates in this forum as I receive packages.

It normally takes a couple of weeks.
Thanks...Heather
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8199102

Heather,
I know you are posting as you receive packages, I'll be patient.
Lisa
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #8199353

Me too!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #8199382

If you all had seen the look on the PO employees faces when I sent the package you would be concerned also. lol
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #8199447

Package or packages?
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 8, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #8202186

Today, I received envelopes from:

* allwild
* blueskyfd11
* 1lisac
* kurantkat

I have a stack of about 20 more envelopes to go through, but am packing it in for the night. All of these were received today. I couldn't believe my eyes, when I saw the volume of envelopes waiting for me today. I'll get through the rest of them tomorrow after work.

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 9, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8202648

I managed to get through the rest of the envelopes this morning before work. Yesterday (Nov 8), I received envelopes from:

* bossmareny6a
* czimmerman00

Thanks...Heather
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #8202988

Thank God it got there.

When I see who's partcipating I'm getting even more excited.

Thanks for doing this Heather!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 9, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8203625

Today I received seeds from "Nolandsland".

Thanks...Heather
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #8205312

I hope that you get my envelope by the end of the week...
nolansland
Santa Clara, CA

November 10, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #8205453

Good, I'm glad you got my envelope. =D
Patty
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 16, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8214337

Yesterday (Nov 15), I received seeds from "Patti1957".

I'm still waiting on a number of envelopes to arrive, so will have to hold off finalizing the swap until those show up. All are from individuals that confirmed their envelopes were mailed.

Thanks...Heather
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #8215391

Oh, boy! The excitement is mounting!!!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 16, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8215779

Today I received seeds from "Evelyn_inthegarden". Still waiting on more envelopes to arrive, so thanks for your patience everyone. It's going to take a bit of time yet.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2010 6:57 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8215788

Can't sow the seeds anyway. The anticipation is killing me tho.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #8216027

Hi,
Evelyn!

Corey
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #8216733

As long as they get here by planting time, it's all good with me.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 21, 2010

Post #8224179

I am still waiting for a few envelopes to arrive, but can't wait any longer so I've pushed ahead with the sorting. It will still take sometime, but I did manage to mail a batch of envelopes today.

From this forum, I mailed an envelope back to:

* nf2932

I sure this will go out in the Nov 22 morning mail. I will continue to post updates as I mail more batches.

Thanks...Heather
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 22, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #8225626

I had some more packed up and ready to mail this morning, but then I opened the front door and said no way...I'm not going out there today. It's minus 32 degrees celcius. Lucky for me I can sometimes work from home if the weather is bad.

We'll try again tomorrow

Could I ask everyone to let me know when your envelope arrives so I can update my records? Thanks so much...Heather

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #8225632

Yikes! I was shivering at +28 Fahrenheit (-2 C?)

I've lost my adaptation to new england winters by living 8in maritime WA.

C-C-C-Corey
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #8225694

It has been snowing here off and on since Saturday night. I cannot transfer any pictures to you right now, as I having 'puter problems. Another colder storm coming in tonight, then a hard freeze!

I had not finished what I was doing in the gardens...but it can wait. I'm not going to go out there and slosh around in the snow. Right now it is melting, but these first two storms were the warmer ones. I wonder what next year will bring, as we had a very late and brief spring, since our last snowstorm was in May. Is autumn gone already and winter here?? Wait towards the end of December, huh??
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8226074

It was 85* here today, but supposed to freeze this weekend. I'm going to get my winter stuff planted BEFORE this weekend
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8227024

I am behind in getting my onions and garlic planted.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2010

Post #8227256

You plant them now???
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #8227577

Yes. I mulch them and let them grow through the winter. Some don't come up til Spring.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 23, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #8227903

Tonight, I mailed another batch of envelopes:

* blueskyfd11
* bossmareny61
* cajuninky
* nolandsland
* sequee

Please let me know when your envelopes arrive so I can update my records.

Thanks...Heather
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #8228037

I will let you know as soon as they arrive. I am so excited!!!!!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 25, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #8230594

Today I mailed seeds back to "sanpedro".

Thanks...Heather
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #8232122

I'll be driving the mail carrier crazy - you'll probably hear us all the way up there when they arrive!

Dang - My onions never get very big for me. I wonder if I shouldn't try some out now, too? In fact, I have one small bed that I never pulled fromthis year. Do you think they stand a chance of making through for next year??? They are probably about walnut size as we speak.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 27, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #8232489

Today, I mailed envelopes to:

* busygardener
* gardadore

Thanks...Heather
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #8232651

Thanks, Heather! Can't wait!! I really appreciate all the time you put into this project!

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 27, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8233135

Hi Heather... I received my seeds today... thanks so much for allowing me to be part off the seed exchange!! I look forward to spring so I can get started!! No doubt I will have some tasty tomatoes and peppers for my family... thanks to everyone who participated and sent in such a wonderful variety of seeds!! Nancy
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 27, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #8233285

So glad your seeds arrived safe and sound Nancy. That was much faster than I expected.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #8234297

Wow! Very impressive timing. Obviously the bird flies faster south than north!

I am pathetically checking the mailbox evertime I go out. Completely defying time and logic...H-e-l-l-o...it's SUNDAY!!!

Very exiting, Heather. And to think, I almost passed this up!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 28, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8234345

Today, I mailed seeds to:

* RickCorey_WA

Thanks...Heather
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #8234505

Congrats, Corey!
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #8234805

Thanks Heather. Oh, I'm so excited! I can't wait until they arrive. I'm not dreaming of sugar plums dancing in my head. I'm dreaming of tomatoes and peppers dancing in my head!

Sequee, don't plant your onions at this time of the year. Next spring, they really won't grow much and will immediately go to seed. But, you should plant your garlic in the fall. I think New York climate is like Wisconsin. Garlic does much better here if planted in the fall. Can you still get it in the ground? Our ground is frozen solid. Good luck.
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #8235002

What is the lastest you can still plant garlic in the fall? Anytime before the ground freezes? Does it have to grow a little before becoming dormant for the winter?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #8235295

Thank you, Heather! It is exciting. The anticipation has been long a-building.

Corey

BossMareNY6a
Brewster, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #8235451

Now I'm confused--I live in the next town over from Sequee (Hi neighbor!) and I've always been told to put my garlic AND ornamental onions in the ground now, in fall...or am I a dope and we're talkin' 'bout them eatin' onions instead?

Kerry
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #8235471

Garlic should be planted before the ground freezes. Around here, we can start buying them to plant in early September. I don't think the top has to grow, but it is good for the roots to start growing .

I was talking about edible onions. Ornamental onions should be planted in fall.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8236698

I just found out about eating the bloom stalks of garlic. I think they call them skates or something like that. They say it will make the bulb grow bigger which stands to reason and which explains why mine were so small. I have tons of seeds but little bitty garlic bulbs. I'd rather have bigger bulbs and just let a couple plants go to seed. Ahh, live and learn. It's what makes the world go round.

My garlic and onions in the spring.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 29, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8236707

Today, I mailed seeds back to:

* carminator1

Thanks...Heather
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8236713

I'd like to know what everybody received. Would anybody else be interested? If so maybe we can srart another thread or just post it here?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #8236731

I will be glad to let you know what I get as soon as I get it. I just went through my seeds starting with the tomato and peppers. I had no idea I had so many. Many I will not be able to use now because of downsizing and I will put them in a thread to trade for other things.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #8236738

Cajun-Great! I would love to know what everybody received but my life may never be the same if you post more seeds for trade. lol
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #8236745

I am going to think long and hard about what I can realistically use in my new SFG life and try to make some trades. I may start a thread just for the tomatoes to begin with. I have quite a few. Most I got in trades.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #8236758

I have a question for the person doing the swap - is there a list I can get on for the next one? lol.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #8236785

CajunKy, I've planted hard necked garlic for the second season and learned last year to make sure and snip off the scapes when they start to curl. You can then cut them up and use them is salads fresh or sautee them and sprinkle on veggies or salad. Removing them causes the bulbs to grow bigger. I planted them in October (was told Columbus Day was a good way to remember in my climate zone) and plan to harvest in July.

I like the idea of maybe starting another thread for those who wish to list what they got and do a further swap. I could see it getting a little complicated here as Heather tries to communicate with us when she sends out new packages each day and wants our response about receiving them!

Like Cajun I have a huge stack of tomato seeds as well and while I tried to reduce a lot by sending them along for this swap there will be plenty left!! And then there will be the new additions! Wow!
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8237202

Thank you so much Heather, can't wait to see what I got. I definitely will be interested in posting what I have, probably more seeds than I can ever plant in a lifetime that is for sure, LOL.

Thank you guys for the info on garlic I am thinking on planting some as well, last year I did onions but I love garlic and use it in everything. Have any of you grown the elephant garlic, is it milder in taste? and does it produce the scapes?
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #8237423

Here are two links on how to grow garlic since there are so many questions above. Their growing instructions indicate you have to cool them for three weeks to six before planting in warmer climes. It really helps if you get your garlic "seed" locally (not the grocery store since that is Chinese!) That way you get the best type for your climate. For mine the hardneck is best whereas those of you in warmer climes might do better with the Softneck about which I know nothing! That may apply to you Carminator1! Hope this helps a little!

http://www.garlicfarm.ca/growing-garlic.htm
http://www.naturalhub.com/grow_vegetable_type_garlic.htm
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 30, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #8238278

Tonight, I mailed seeds to:

* czimmerman00
* 1lisac

Thanks...Heather
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8238882

Thank you, I can hardly wait!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 1, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8238889

* allwild
* donshirer
* mittsy

Thanks...Heather
Allwild
North, TX

December 1, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8239064

wow... it's December already!

thank you Heather. Thank you for all of your hard work putting this swap together again!

I'll let you know when my package of goodies arrives!! :-)
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #8239628

Thank you gardadore, I am off to check those articles you posted.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #8239823

Here is a link to a Beginning Gardening Forum thread dealing with planting store bought garlic. Horseshoe has some interesting info on planting garlic in warmer climates. I posted the other two links there as well. Probably a good idea to move this discussion to a more appropriate site so that Heather has the necessary space here! LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140643/
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #8240644

Today, I mailed seeds for:

* kygreg2000

Thanks...Heather
kygreg2000
Hopkinsville, KY

December 2, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #8241344

Thanks Heather; will make a great Christmas surprise for me;

Gary
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 4, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8243671

Today, I mailed seeds back to:

* mooiemoestuin

Thanks...Heather
blueskyfd11
Harrison Valley, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2010

Post #8243760

Thanks Heather, I received my seeds today. Exciting!
Where did people want to post the seeds they received?
blue

Also wanted to say that you did a good job Heather at putting this all together!

This message was edited Dec 4, 2010 1:56 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #8243798

Can hardley wait to read what you got. Should we start a new thread?
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 5, 2010

Post #8245136

* evelyn_inthegarden

Thanks...Heather
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #8245159

Thanks, Heather!

Whopee!!

Evelyn
sanpedro
Espanola, NM
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #8246246

hi Heather -

Your package arrived yesterday, and I'm glad mine finally made it there. Thank you so much for your generosity. I can't wait to get started!

Lee (sanpedro)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #8246540

Still haven't gotten my seeds. I'm thinking a carrier pigeon could have made a better job of it than the postal service is doing. LOL
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #8246700

Its probably customs and not the postal service. IMO
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #8246764

Got to work this morning and was delighted to find a special package in my In Box! YIPPPPPEEEEE!

Thanks a bunch, Heather! Truly stellar job of organizing!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #8247032

I need/want to know what everybody got. Pout
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 7, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8248499

I still have about 20 or so envelopes to work through. My apologies for the delay in getting them all out. Had to start later than anticipated because some of the envelopes were about a week or more late on arrival.

I'm putting in long hours at work this week because I'm running workshops, so will do the best I can. Will likely take the rest of this week to get the remainder of the envelopes packed and mailed.

Just wanted to give you a quick update.

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Dec 7, 2010 10:17 AM
BossMareNY6a
Brewster, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8248513

Its definitely worth the wait! I rec'd my packet yesterday---WOW! is all I can say!! So many neat varieties Im excited to try. I was up late last night in bed with seed packs scattered everywhere and all my catalogs out looking up the new varieties I got. My husband walked in and said, "Oh great, now we have to sleep with these *&E$%&* seeds too?"

Thanks SO SO SO much to everyone for pulling this swap off--it was my first time participating in any group-related swap and it was a great experience! And special thanks to Heather for the patience and fortitude to make all of this happen--Ill definitely sign up for the next one, and the next, and next, and... :)

Kerry
BossMareNy6a

PS...pic is of heirloom "Pineapple" from summer 2010

Thumbnail by BossMareNY6a

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8249155

Boss ~ hubby or seeds??
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #8249217

I received my package today! When I was getting my mail out of the mailbox after work today, I was so excited when I saw my seed package, that I left the six boxes that UPS left by the front door, and ran inside. I stood at the kitchen table in my coat and scarf (I did take my gloves off) for 20 minutes just looking at the different seeds. I think that I will have to look up some of them online.

Thanks again Heather for all your hard work.
BossMareNY6a
Brewster, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #8249639

@Evelyn---hahaha! On 364 other days I've have to go with seeds (seeds dont ask where dinner is; seeds dont leave the seat up; nor do seeds leave muddy workboots in the house) HOWEVER...my husband just happened to be closing on a new house for us yesterday, one that has 3 beautiful acres for my horses and gardens, so I will have to go with husband on this one. But I do love me seeds!

Kerry

Thumbnail by BossMareNY6a

hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 8, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8249851

* kurantkat
* nisinj
* patti1957

That's it for envelopes from this forum. Thanks to everyone for your participation and sending in a great selection of seeds.

Please continue to let me know when you receive your seeds so I can update my records.

Have a very Merry Christmas everyone !!!!

...Heather
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8249959

What a beautiful horse! Oh boy I am so jealous, my DH and I have been talking about getting a bigger plot 10 acres at least but we still have to wait until we stop moving so much.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #8249998

Heather-Thank you so much for doing this, I'm glad to hear that you are done with this forum at least. Will those of you that have received yours post what you got?
I'm so interested to see the different varieties.
Thanks,
Lisa

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #8250131

THANK YOU HEATHER!

I got my seeds, and I'm overwhelmed. What a great assortment, more of everything than I dreamed. I especially appreciate the cherry tomatoes, like Tommy Toe and Black Cherry. I never heard of "Snow White"!

Plant Files will get a workout.

(Busy_gardener: thanks for the Fish Peppers. Interesting! )

Corey
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

December 8, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #8250142

YAY! I am so very excited :D Thank you so much, Heather--I bet this will be as terrific as, if not better, than last year!

I am surprised there aren't that many participants from this forum...it sounded like dozens upon dozens of people rushed to join the swap!

Wooohoo--looking forward to what I am sure will be one of my favorite Xmas bounties!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #8250327

P.S. I'll start a thread with a list of what I received after I make labels and re-package some into smaller Zip-locks.

Corey
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8250514

Great Thank you!
BossMareNY6a
Brewster, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #8250644

@ Carminator--what a coincidence, I jsut saw you're in Mobile, AL--I was born and lived in Fairhope for first 18 yrs of my life. NY has been home since 1994. The horse pictured is a 3yo rescued literally hours from going thru the "meat auction" in PA. The picture is of him at a quarantine barn. I named him "Tofurky" b/c when I got him him had "no meat"! :)

Kerry
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #8250650

Oh yes we've been here for a year now and our orders are for 3 more years so after that we might have to move somewhere else. Fairhope is not too far at all. Glad to hear that you rescued that poor horse, he is truly a beauty. Still dreaming of living in the country, :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8250797

Is that a saddlebred? I have a percheron / TWH cross that I bought off a meat truck. She is a swwetheart. Just wish she was easy gaited.
BossMareNY6a
Brewster, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #8250920

Yes! He's a Saddlebred! his forelock and mane were shaved off like a driving horse's would be so we r guessing he mustve been an Amish reject. I grabbed him bc this horse moves like a grand drix dressage horse--I cannot wait to climb on him! My other horse is a rescued Premarin broodmare who's shaped like a bulldog (QH/draft) all downhill while this ASB is the polar opposite--he's so uphill he looks like a giraffe most of the time!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #8251074

Good for you ~ Kerry! Congrats on the new digs. I am sure you will be posting pictures of that soon, huh? (I am with you, especially leaving the seat up! Yikes!! It happens to others, too??)

Corey ~ Good for you. I am glad that you got a nice assortment of seeds. Yes, it would be good to see what you got...LOL!!

Heather ~ I will be posting as soon as I get my package that you sent, and share with y'all what I got. Thanks so much for all of your hard work to put all this together and getting the seeds out so quickly...We all do appreciate it.

I must have come upon this info late - what are fish peppers?

Lisa ~ What seeds did you get? Maybe you can "start the ball rolling..."

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #8251089

I'll be glad to tell what I get... when I ever get them. LOL

I used to work as an EMT at horse shows and I did a curcuit of saddlebred shows. There was one show day that had 2 shows going on at the same place. One was a "saddlebred" show and the other was a hunter jumper. The H/J horses were shying like crazy because they were afraid of the "shaky tails". In the natural horse world, if a horse travels and presents itself like a saddlebred does that's trained to show, it's usually a stallion. Kids were getting dumped left and right. How old is your horse. Looks like a youngster.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #8251208

evelyn_itg:
Fish peppers are the fruit of attractive ornamental plants with spotted white leaves. They are fairly small but also fairly "hot", but tasty. Look them up in PlantFiles under common name: Pepper, cultivar: Fish. I planted some this year and they did not do as well as the ones I have had in the past in another location (where I'll grow them next year!).

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8251854

Here is the blurb I got with my new Fish Peppers,
followed by Plant File comments from http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54799/ :

"Fish" Pepper Capsicum annuum
Hot: "4 on a scale of 5", or Plant Files says 5,000-30,000 Scoville Units)
pre-1870s African-American heirloom
beautiful green & white variegated foliage.
18-24" plants
Pendant fruits 2-3" long ripen from cream with green stripes to orange with brown stripes to all red.
Traditionally used in oyster and crab houses in the Chesapeake bay.
"Commercial - Seed savers Exchange busy_gardener 2010"

--------------------
Plant Files says:
12-18" tall
tapered 4" to 6" fruit

Fruit Color:
Green changing to red
Green changing to gold
Green changing to orange

Usage:
Fresh (salsa, salads)
Roasting
Drying
Pickling

Critterologist said:
"The flavor has a clean, bright heat like a cayenne, but with the bonus of a sweetness that reminded us of a red bell pepper."

Ripley7700 said:
"My experience has been that the immature peppers are quite spicy, but if you allow the peppers to mature all the way to red (bright red!), the spice mellows out. ... the plant can reach upwards of two to three feet "

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010

Post #8251864

Evelyn-I haven't gotten my seeds : ( yet but when I do I will post them.

Speaking of horses-

Thumbnail by 1lisac

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #8252581

Wow! He yours? He's a beauty. I have 2 paints. A red and white spotted and a blue roan spotted. Have 9 all together. Would sure love to sell 4 of them. All but 2 are rescues. We leased a farm with a friend before we moved. Now we don't have proper places for them all. We have them farmed out like kids during the depression.

This is Tug's Honor. He is a racking pony. He is 2 1/2 now and it's time to break him to ride. He is going to be my saddle horse. I am down sizing from my big 64" TWH gelding. I have MD and my legs are getting too weak to get on him anymore. He is "lot of horse" and doesn't like to stand still while I get on. He is also a big, fast mover and I don't trust myself on him anymore. It's a shame too. He is as fine a racking horse as anyone could ever hope to ride. He was rescued from a life of terrible abuse. It took me 2 years to make him safe to ride.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #8252617

FINALLY!!!! My seeds came today and I am so excited. Heather, you rock!! Can't wait to try all these. This is what I got:

I had only sent tomato seeds and that is all I had on my wish list. I needed some bush and determinate varieties as I am having to downsize to SFG and containers in the Spring. I am so happy with what I got.

Novosadski Jabucar I have not heard of this one.
Calypso I have not heard of this one.
Hybrid Patio I have not heard of this one.
Green Grape I am very excited about this one.
Principe Borghese I have not heard of this one.
Puck I have not heard of this one.
Czech Bush I have not heard of this one
Balcony Charm I have not heard of this one. Sounds like one for a
hanging basket.
Bush Beefsteak Wasn't sure this was possible.
Silvery Fir Tree This one sounds interesting. New to me.
Ultra Girl Wondering if this is related to Early Girl
Early Wonder The sooner the better. LOL
Golden Bison Love the yellows.
Manitoba Have not heard of this one.
Marz Round Green Going to have fun with this one.
Chinese Have not heard of this one.
Micro Tom Sounds like an itty bitty one.
Banana Legs Looking forward to finding out about this one.
New Big Dwarf A pink one.
Sophie's Choice Have not heard of this one.
Jaunne Flammee Been wanting to try this one. So happy to get it.
Udmalbet Eggplant
Thai Eggplant
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8252618

I love paints here is his mom. I don't ride anymore because I'm a single mom and if/when I get thrown there is nobody to take care of my kids. Besides I don't bounce like I use to.

Thumbnail by 1lisac

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #8252622

Very nice. Are they saddlebreds? Where is her tail?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #8252626

Wow, you folks have some beautiful horses.

Thanks Corey and Don on the info about the fish pepper. I had a feelin' that it would be a hot one!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #8252636

CajuninKy,

Thanks for your list!

I made another thread just for such lists, if anyone wants to use that:
- - - Seed Trading: Thanks for the Peppers & Tomatoes, Heather!
- - - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1144458/

Corey
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #8252637

Here is my other spotted horse. Her name is Gypsy and she is a percheron / TWH cross. A big sweetheart. This was last winter. We had 3 of them on a tie line all winter. A big hassle. We have since moved her and the strawberry roan TWH / RMH cross on the end to a friend's barn.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #8252644

Corey, I didn't realize there was another thread started. I'll copy and paste my post over there. Thanks.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8252684

(I was wondeirng why no one was using it ... then realized I hadn't said anything about it!)

Corey
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #8252801

I hope my seeds come today, mail is a bit slow.
Beautiful horses.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #8253248

Cajun- ROTFL Stop about her tail or lack there of. She has a tail but the goats keep it short, she just stands there while they chew. EVERYBODY says something about that tail, I thought I was safe online. LOL

Both of these horses are Reg. American Paints. That means both parents were American Paints or Thoroughbreds, or Quarter Horses. If one of the parents is a TB or QH the off spring must show color to be reg. as an APH. It is my understanding that they allow this so the genetic pool is larger (hybrid vigor). Both these horses have TB and QH in their linage. When I did ride I rode English, H/J and Dressage, so I have always had horses with some/all TB in them.

I know, off topic.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2010

Post #8254023

I used to work hunter Jumper shows as an EMT. Loved watching the jumpers. It wasn't often anybody got hurt so I was always looking for something to do. I ended up hand timing grand prix jumper classes. One show it a $25,000 class and I timed it with a stop watch! Is that wild?! I used to have a blast at those shows. Met a lot of nice folks and a lot of less than nice ones if you catch my drift. I guess folks are folks all over the world.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2010

Post #8265057

Has anyone heard of "Sanza Cherry" tomatoes before? I can't find them online. Someone must have sent a pkt labelled that way to Heather, and I'm wondeirng whether it was a typo for "Santa", i.e. "Santa Sweets".

There's a sanza district in Italy with a distinctive method of making tomatoe sauce, but I don't think it involves CHERRY tomatoes.

Corey

This message was edited Dec 17, 2010 2:11 PM
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 18, 2010
12:36 AM

Post #8265982

Hi Corey,

It's another handwriting thing :) They are Santa Cherry.

Thanks...Heather
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #8266026

I've about given up, think my seeds were lost in the mail!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 18, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #8266372

Mittsy,

I'm sure yours will arive. They were mailed Dec 1st. Please remember it takes a couple of weeks normally for mail beetween Canada and the US. I had some envelopes take 3 weeks to get here from the US. The Christmas mail volume will make a difference as well.

Thanks
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #8266408

Mittsy-I know how you feel. I did forget about the Christmas Mail tho. We are going out of town and I want mine NOW!
Lisa
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #8266663

I have not gotten mine either, I am sure it is just the fact that it is the holidays, or at least I hope that is what the problem is. Either way I know how you feel, patience is definitely not one of my virtues unfortunately.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8266710

Heather ~ Thanks so much for clearing up the mystery of the "Sanza Cherry" tomato!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #8266997

>> It's another handwriting thing :) They are Santa Cherry.

Awww! I was starting to hope something very obscure had surfaced. On the other hand, they sound very tasty! Used as bar snacks in Thailland? I forget where I read that.

Thanks Heather! By the way, I found a fan of the "Show White" cherry and plan to split with her.

Corey
carminator1
mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #8271409

Heather thank you so much! I just received my seeds today, it was definitely worth the wait. I am definitely going to have some fun growing these wonderful seeds. :)
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #8272007

No seeds yet and my drivers license expired December 6th. I mailed the renewal November 18th with my check that was cashed, but no license either. Mail is really slow.
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #8272103

Thank you Heather, I received my seeds yesterday! Another great swap, looking forward to next year.
nolansland
Santa Clara, CA

December 22, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #8272444

Heather, I forgot to mention I received my seeds a few weeks ago. Yay! Thanks for the generous number of packets... Lots of variety. Thanks for organizing the exchange...we appreciate your hard work. =D Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Patty

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #8272454

Thnak you for the extra cherry tomatoes! Now I have a whole LIBRARY of early and cool varieties!

I've talked to more of my neighbors since this swap started. Almost everyone says "yes, i tried tomatoes a few times - no, they never ripened". The first lady i asked said she started by buying plants THIS tall, and had success.

I hope to do it with wise choice of varieties, starting them EARLY, and giving them some extra warmth all year. When I get some effective cold frames built, I'll post pictures, but this may take a few years to master.

Thanks again for a great RR!

Corey.
Allwild
North, TX

December 28, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #8280182

still waiting for my seeds... maybe if I post that they haven't arrived yet, they will show up in todays mail!!!

Posted as mailed on Dec 1st.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8280441

According to your posting you mailed my seeds on December 1. I still haven't received them.
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 28, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #8280552

Sorry folks. Seems there are a number of people that haven't received their envelopes yet. I know there are people in parts of the US and Canada that have not had mail delivery in over a week because of weather conditions. I'm sure your envelopes will get there. I wish I could wave a magic wand and get it there faster for you.

kygreg2000
Hopkinsville, KY

December 30, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8284129

My seeds arrived today (12/30/2010); they were mailed on 12/02/2010. So it takes a few days. Thanks Heather for the great selection of tomato and pepper seeds and all the work you do. Will now have to do a little research on the varieties I am not familar with, which is part of the fun.

Gary
Allwild
North, TX

December 31, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8284914

my seeds arrived today! yippy I am so thrilled! I haven't even looked at all of them yet but wanted you to know they arrived! I noticed that I didn't bother putting 'USA' on my return label; I will make a note to do that in the future...not sure if it will make a difference in delivery time, as I'm sure the season and weather were factors in the deliveries too.

Heather, thank you so much for all of your hard work with hours of your time putting this together and for putting up with us all!! :-) I really appreciate it!!

Look forward to checking out all of the varieties of tomatoes and peppers I have here!! I think the surprise factor is really the best fun of all!!

Thanks again everyone!
Christine

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8284935

We have been buying tomatoes at our local farmer's market. When we sliced one open this morning it was full of sprouted seeds. I planted those sprouts in a pot and covered them with a little bit of soil mixed with coffee grounds, and watered them well. I wonder how they'll do.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8284939

My sweet orange peppers have been producing since we arrived in Cocoa Beach in October. These will be ripe in a couple of weeks. They are very good but only produce 4 or 5 seeds per pepper. I takes quite a while for me to gather enough seeds to offer them in a seed swap.

Thumbnail by mittsy

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8288300

Got my seeds over the holiday while we wewere out of town. Wow, got almost everything on my wishlist. Thanks so much, Heather! I will post on the other thread when I get a chance.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2011

Post #8296216

Sorry I'm late on this, but I discovered the all-important seed package near the bottom of a large tray of mail held at the post office while we were on vacation. Evidently it arrived a day or two before Christmas-three weeks since it was mailed.

Thanks Heather, I am renaming my Ericaceae garden of heaths and heathers the "MacDona Memorial Heather Patch" in your honor!

I'll post the list of received items on Ricks thread.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2011
2:51 AM

Post #8296654

My seeds finally arrived. The envelope looks like it has been well traveled. A very nice selection of tomatoes and pepper seeds. I hope to plant the melon seeds within a few days. Thanks for organizing this swap, Heather.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8300319

"I hope to plant the melon seeds within a few days." ??? REALLY!?!
hmacdona
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8300374

Glad the seeds finally made it there safe and sound. That's it for everyone from this forum. Everyone has received their seed packages. A couple from other forums are still waiting on their packages. The mail delivery time has been riduculous this year.

Good luck with your gardens everyone.

...Heather
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2011
2:47 AM

Post #8301818

Yes, Really! I'm in Cocoa Beach, Florida so we're planting at this time.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8302696

Oh, that's better - I was reading the "Syracuse" and was wondering if you'd discovered a miracle or if I should call the medics!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America