-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #8069101

I wintersowed Malva Zebrina this winter and like the plant and it has really bloomed a lot this summer. I remember reading that it reseeds easily and today I notice all these tiny seedling started. What do I do with all of those seedlings? Do I let them get a certain height before I try to transplant them? Do I cut the entire plant back to the ground before the first frost of the year?
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #8077747

Pippi, I cut back my zebrinas whenever they start to look ratty. They don't always return in the same spot. I tend to treat them more like reseeding annuals than true perennials. Since they are so prolific, I suppose I don't treat them with much respect, lol! Maybe someone else will pop in here with more info:)

As for transplanting my seedlings...They seem pretty hardy for me and I transplant them when they get big enough to handle easily. Of course I've lost a few to neglect, but there are always plenty to go around.
Bev
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8079899

"I cut back my zebrinas whenever they start to look ratty. They don't always return in the same spot. I tend to treat them more like reseeding annuals than true perennials."

I do that same exact thing. And sometimes, if I just don't get around to cutting them back I just do it whenever I have time, whether that's mid-winter or begining of the next spring. I don't bother to transplant the seedlings because they're good where they are so I wouldn't know anything about that. I have more than enough each year and have had since the first time someone gave me seeds years ago.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8080666

Isn't it nice to have such a pretty thing be so easy to get along with? I have a few in the back that I know seeded from the compost pile. I certainly don't mind as they're easy to 'relocate' and tend to play well with others:)
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #8088177

Mine also tend to come up here and there--It's easy enough to recognize the seedlings, and they are easy to pull up if they are in a place where you don't want them. I've found you can also relocate them to a new area pretty easily. These have been a favorite of mine for quite some time.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #8096176

Have any of you had to stake your Malva?
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #8096654

I was just out looking at mine a few moments ago and they are about as upright as can be. I've never staked mine - tggfisk had it right when she said it was nice to have something so pretty be so easy to get along with! I do nothing with mine besides cut them back each year. That, and sit back and wish all my other plants were so easy. LOL

Di
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #8096666

Thanks, I only have one and she is 2 - 3' tall and spindly. I didn't want to lose her so I wouldn't wack her but maybe thats what she needs.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #8096672

At this point in time, I'd just wait until we get a good frost and then do it..unless she's looking really bad for you.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #8096686

Yes, she's propped up on the fence on her last leg. She produced a few pretty flower but otherwise wasn't very strong or healthy looking. At this point I would rather have strong roots and increase the chances of her coming back next year. LoL
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #8098157

I'd suggest letting some of the flowers set seed and drop if you can wait. That way you'll have it next year even if the main plant doesn't survive.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #8098222

Actually, I went out to take Ms Malva out of her misery and I harvested a gazzion seeds. The seeds were among the easiest to seperate from the chaf.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #8099667

May she rest in peace, lol!
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8099677

One of the things I love about malva is that you just don't have to do much with them...they just reseed (without being intrusive/invasive), bloom despite any horrible weather, and are just beautiful, easy plants. How much better does it get?

My condolences on the loss of Ms. Malva, Diamond...
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #8100272

LoL too funny!
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8103711

I allow mine to reseed, too. I've never had to stake them. I noticed this year that I had one that was darker than the Zebrina. Years ago I had several Windsor Castle plants that were darker.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8106498

My gardening friend came over for tea yesterday morning and to see my flowers as it's been since early spring since she was last here. She fell in love with Malva Zebrina and I gave her one plant to take home and some little seedlings. Now this is a woman who has a green thumb and many flowers in her yard. It was nice for me to give her something that she didn't already have and she already knows where she is going to plant it. She flipped over my columbine reblooming after I cut it back so I want to save her seeds from that one.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8106599

I haven't cut back my Columbine yet. I didn't know plants would bloom outside of their blooming period? Does Malva bloom all summer? I have been in love with Malva for a long time. I'm so excited to finally have it in my garden. LoL

This message was edited Sep 22, 2010 10:08 AM
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #8148845

diamond, so sorry that we didn't answer your question. Malva will bloom all summer here provided it gets regularly deadheaded. I'm a little lazy for that myself and usually end up letting it go to seed and then cutting it back. It does flower a bunch so keeping it cleaned up takes more dedication than I have getting into August when I go back to work.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #8148907

Thanks Tggsfisk! I planted Malva for the first time this year. It did bloom in its first year bit the blooming period wasn't very long.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8149207

Glad to have helped in any small way:)
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #8149841

There are so many plants that I fallen in love with. I research these plants and then try to grow them under lights inside my house, which is not always successful. LoL Last year I WSed for the first time. I had so much success with it that I have got to do it again this year. I even started some herbs well into the summer with the same process. The herbs germinated quickly and I enjoyed them most of the summer. I Sprinkled the seeds in flower pots and covered with a clear plastic bag. I poked holes in the top of the plastic bag for ventilation.

I'm thinking of using some of my flower pots for the same thing this winter. I'm hoping my plastic pots can with stand my winters.

tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #8151306

I agree that wsing can be addictive. I have done well with herbs...so well that friends will ask for some that they know I've sown. I usually don't mind sharing when germination is great. I don't attempt much in the way of sowing in the summer though. It was waaaay too hot here this summer and not much rain to speak of. Matter of fact, it was 88 today. Where, oh where is fall, lol!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8410052

Malva Zebrina IS invasive. I made the mistake of starting them from seeds 7 years ago. I allowed 2 years of bloom before I noticed all the seedlings. I got rid of the main plants and had to spray those that went into my neighbor's yard. I had them planted along my fence. Even now years later, I see one pop of here and there. Their roots grow deep.

All Malva varieties are weedy.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8424113

Hmmmm..I must have done something wrong. I surface-sowed some Malva Zebrina seeds in a styrofoam cup after punching holes in the bottom and putting about 3" of MG seed starting mix (pre-moistened). I covered the top with plastic wrap and waited. It's been two weeks, and nothing has happened. The temps have been in the high 60's (city apartment,on the windowsill, trying to get a jump start on sowing before we start going back to the house where the garden is).

Should I assume these seeds are duds? Should I try again outside, WS in plastic jugs? I've been saving containers, and have a whole bunch of things I want to try that way starting early April. I've learned a lot from all the postings and want to see how I do.

Everyone says how easy and quick this malva is, but so far, not for me.

Thanks for any advice, Pam
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8424504

I don't have anymore Zebrina seeds unless they come up on their own. I had a pack that I got in the wintersowing swap and since my friend dug up my babies, I gave the pack I got from the swap to her. She can look at something and make it grow! I think some will come back on their own. Something has popped up in the grass in another flowerbed outside of the scalloped bricks and it's either dwarf fairy candytuft or alyssum but it's in the grass so it could be anything. It's no where where Malva Zebrina was..don't know if I'll be able to find some commercial seed packs or not. I'll look because that might be something good to put over by Comtesse de Bouchard clematis area.

I think I'll take a stroll outside and see if there are anymore germination successes. I'm running out of room to put my milk jugs so am quitting while the quitting is good. Will direct sow anything else.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8424638

pfg -- i found this on gardenguides.com

Growing Tips

Seeds of Malva Zebrina can be started indoors 6 to 8 weeks before the last predicted date of frost or started outdoors after the last frost. Barely cover the seeds, which will germinate in 15 to 21 days. Flowers will appear by early summer. Cut back Malva Zebrina after flowering stops to encourage a second bloom and to reduce reseeding

Read more: Information on Malva Zebrina Flowers | Garden Guides
http://www.gardenguides.com/85871-information-malva-zebrina-flowers.html
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8424790

Thanks...15-21 days...I guess I'm just being impatient. What I really want is spring, and to get back into the garden. Until then, I guess I have a bad case of cabin fever!

Pam
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8427867

I'm curious to see if I'm going to have any Malva Zebrina come back at all. I let the plant in the ground over the winter and a few weeks ago when we had many days of high winds, I found the plant pulled out of the ground completely. I'm assumming it was the wind..but I also saw Bambi and baby munching around last week during the wee hours. We'll just have to wait and see if any seedlings pop up of the Zebrina. They are so easy to grow and so pretty.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8427871

I grew it once. i know tons of seeds hit the ground ... never came back for me.
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8811006

I'm going to try winter sowing Malva sylvestris this year. I live in central Arkansas, zone 7b.

I mainly grow plants for the butterflies and hummingbirds and would like to try Malva in front of the Verbena bonariensis to try and help hide the bottom of the verbena (very weedy looking but one of the very best nectar plants). I'm also hoping the malva will help support the verbena flower stalks. For those of you who might be familiar with both of these plants, would you comment on whether these two plants might work well together?

My thanks,

Mary
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8811519

I love Malva Zebrina. I don't think I've ever deadheaded mine; maybe that is why I have a lot of extra plants because I'm guessing the seeds dropped. How do you find the seeds on this plant? Their root is very long, and I just transplanted a good size plant to another location where I took out BES plants. Looks like it has transplant shock but I'll bounce back and if it doesn't, no big deal. I think I'll cut it back, as I didn't when I transplanted it. They wilt quickly, in a matter of minutes after pulling or digging them up from their "home"
The stalk on this plant is pretty thick.

TsgFisk..is there a better place to cut it back? Should I feed it some solution for transplant shock?
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8811753

I don't think that there's any trick to cutting back. I cut off whatever doesn't look so fresh. I've never fed anything other than a long term granular at the start of the season, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

I have transplanted malva but usually do it before it gets quite so big and long rooted. Sometimes I'll just remove a plant that is in the wrong place or is pretty much done for the year. As I stated previously, I don't count on the original plant coming back. Rather, I let it reseed and transplant the seedlings into the places I'd like them while they're still small.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8812104

I'm going to either print out your reply message or writing it down on a index card so I'll remember it next Spring when it starts growing to get the baby seedlings. The plant that I potted up about 3 weeks ago, I had to cut back the large leaves but it has bounced back and I can see new growth of leaves. I transplanted that one beside of the one I dug up yesterday. That one from 3 weeks ago looks okay but the newly dug up one looks wilted, I'm going to cut that back and see what happens, like down to basal growth and mulch and water today. I was too tired to mulch yesterday. I did water though but that soil is not that great but I did mix in some new soil and soil conditioner hoping that helps that area. It is kind of under the house eaves so doesn't always get the rain so I have to water with the hose or sprinkler can. Gardening is all about Trial and Error. This is the way one learns, right?
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8812903

Yep! That and the advice of good friends and relatives. Best of luck with them. Such pretty things:)

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8850812

LOL I have been outside for the past few days pulling seedlings out by the ton!! I have plenty if anyone would like one..or two :). I have wanted this plant for a few years and finally got one at an RU last fall. I planted it as soon as I got home. It grew and overwintered for me very well. I had no idea what to really expect from this plant but was very pleased!! It was a nice full, bushy plant and then...it flowered. It was just beautiful and full of blooms. I did not dead head any of them. Well now I have TONS of seedlings!!! I'm not complaining though :) I planted a 'Mystic Merlin' that I WSed last winter and it is now flowering. I love them both!! I will however dead head them some from now on. If any of you want a seedling send me a dmail and I'll be happy to send you one or two.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 16, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8850849

catzgalore, and you will have TONS of seedlings for the rest of your life even if later you decide to get rid of this invasive plant.

I started one in 2002 allowed it to flower for 2 years. I began to notice TONS of seedlings before I realized its bad habit. Out came ROUNDUP. Even this years, I had to pull several seedlings around my Hibiscus, which replaced it. Oh yes, the roots are deep even on seedlings. Make sure that you deadhead before it drops the seeds.

It is a pretty plant and I would love to have it but I don't have room for such selfish plant that takes over a garden.

Below is the one I grew.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8850857

:) I was thinking the same thing to myself as I was pulling them out. LOL I thought... "Why didn't I know this was going to be one of those plants that once you have it you will always have it?" I don't really mind the seedlings so much 'yet' as mine is in a location that will be fine for it to be as it is :)
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8871015

See, the droughty situation that we've had did what all that hand pulling never did. I don't have these this year as in years past. I know y'all will think that I've lost it, but I'd love some seeds if anyone saved some.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8871032

Bev -- I just went thru my seed stash... no zebrina seeds at all.
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8871788

tggfisk,
I'm not too far off from you on the coast in Onslow county. I was wondering where you got your seed when you planted them before? I'm looking to put something in that will fill a large space and this certainly seems like it will fit the bill.

Thanks for your time,
Mike

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 1, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8872294

Mike, when I was dumb enough to grow this invasive plant, I bought the seeds from parks.com. I'm sure they still sell it.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8876415

Mike, put it on your Wish list and maybe somebody will have some to trade you. If I can get to mine next week and figure out how to collect the seed, I'll be willing to share with you. Will be back in touch. I'm trying to recall where I bought my original seeds.
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8876452

Pippi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I've nothing to really trade at the moment as I wasn't home to collect seed this year. My wife let everything blow to the winds... should be an interesting spring ;)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8877024

Mike, I just saw some on T's flowers and things website. you get a pkt. of 50 seeds from her for $1.00. Maybe that's where I got my seeds as I ordered from her a few times last year. Teresa is very knowledgable and fast of sending the seeds to you. Check it out. Also somebody just sent me an email and showed me where the seeds are and how to collect them. I will go out tomorrow in daylight and see if any of the pods are turning brown, that is when you collect them. "Mr. Buck" must have needed a salad the other night and ate all the leaves off so the plants remind you of a stalk of brussel sprouts, just different shape! You'd think he would have eaten the flowers and leaves..
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8877603

Pippi,

Thanks for the heads up on T's flowers and things. That is the first time I've seen her website. I will definitely be placing an order from her.

Mike
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8879128

I was walking the dog through an alley today and saw several growing in the alley about a foot high. I tried to pull them up but they wouldn't budge. They were really pretty. Looks like they reseeded during the summer and are in bloom but not really full. I might go back with my little shovel and move them to my garden.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8880852

Mike, I saw seeds for these at the Sample Seed Shop site. You can get just a few seeds, 25 I think for a buck. Remy is good about getting things to you quickly so that might just be the answer for both of us;) Here's the link.
http://sampleseeds.com/?page_id=417

You're not so far away. Garner is right outside of Raleigh.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America