Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Ultimate in Garden Art: The Chihuly Exhibit at Phipps Conservatory: Breathtaking!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Ultimate in Garden Art: The Chihuly Exhibit at Phipps Conservatory
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Ultimate in Garden Art: The Chihuly Exhibit at Phipps ConservatoryReplies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #8069970

I was there at night and the lighting made it even more spectacular! Every piece seemed to have an inner glow.
Roxanne

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #8070298

Did you go recently? Is this a permanent exhibit? If so, I MUST go! I have always loved glass art, glass kitchenware, things with beautiful colors, and plants and flowers. The only thing that would make it perfect would be to add neon lights in exhibit! How fabulous that you got to see it!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #8070336

Rox, how cool that you got to see it at night! I was hoping to get back for an evening tour before the exhibit closed, but we didn't manage it. The conservatory itself takes on an entirely different atmosphere after dark, so I can only imagine what it would have been like with the glass sculptures.

The main exhibit has long since been taken down, but several pieces did join the permanent collection at Phipps, thanks to private donations I think.

If you go to Chihuly's site (pretty sure there's a link in the article), you'll be able to find any current exhibitions (and see more photos of his work, too).
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #8070932

We were very lucky to have this in Pittsburgh! I was a couple years ago but her donate a couple pieces and the conservatory bought a few pieces so there still are some to see.
Roxanne
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #8070971

Thanks, Rox... I thought some pieces were staying but couldn't remember which ones. I'll have to get back there this winter!
JLWP
Denton, TX

December 31, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9371704

I went to the Dallas Arboretum's "Chihuly Nights" exhibit on Dec. 10, 2012, and it was wonderful! My sisters in Denver and Atlanta saw the Chihuly daytime exhibits and told me they just knew it would be fabulous at night, and they were so right. A sunburst truly was a powerful-looking and cleverly formed sun seemingly bursting with energy and heat, veritably burning (lit up) at night. And the blue herons looked mystical, twinkling and glowing like breathing statues. But I expect they were asleep since their eyes were closed! The glass sculptures in "Persian Pond" were my favorite as they glittered with their white reflections shining in the surrounding pond. That would have made a good place for Chihuly fairies to have suddenly (mechanically) appeared! It's wonderful how each garden in which these glass sculptures are exhibited will have it's own singularly beautiful surroundings and visionary artistic placement that won't be duplicated in any other setting. Makes for some stunning photos, for sure!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Ultimate in Garden Art: The Chihuly Exhibit at Phipps Conservatory Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
chihuly Dutchlady1 45 Jan 1, 2013 12:24 PM
Glass art surfcat 3 Feb 12, 2008 9:50 PM
Beautifull Glass art in the garden . Blucile 3 Sep 3, 2010 9:47 AM
How beautiful! NanuBunny 1 Aug 30, 2010 1:51 PM
Mardi Gras colors... Gymgirl 5 Aug 31, 2010 7:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America