Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: A Hardy Garden Perennial that Flowers Like an Orchid: Melittis

Communities > Forums > Article: A Hardy Garden Perennial that Flowers Like an Orchid
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Hardy Garden Perennial that Flowers Like an OrchidReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Clland
Houston, TX

August 30, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #8070691

I immediately went to the source listed but they do not currently have any in stock. If anyone finds a source for this I would love to try some. It's really lovely, however, am unsure how it will take our hot & humid Houston summers. Nevertheless, I would enjoy it for at least one winter/spring. (We start spring gardening here really early.)
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #8070930

Thanks for writing, clland. Melittis is generally available from mail order companies in the spring, as is the case with the two I mentioned in the article. It's rated as hardy through zone 10, so it should be hardy in Texas. If you order some for spring planting, ask the supplier to ship your order as soon as their schedule allows. Depending on the size plant you get, it will bloom shortly after you plant it. Smaller plants may need to make a year's growth before they bloom.

To be on the safe side, choose a spot that is shady all day or perhaps has just a little sun in the morning. The soil should be kept evenly moist, so be sure to water your plant whenever the soil surface becomes dry. Mulching would also help conserve moisture, if dry conditions are a problem.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Hardy Garden Perennial that Flowers Like an Orchid Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for inroduction Fitsy 1 Aug 30, 2010 11:01 AM
Melittis-B.B. chibearpltluver 1 Aug 30, 2010 10:50 AM
I like it! cybercrone 3 Sep 7, 2010 8:53 AM
Melittis OUTSTANDING 1 Aug 30, 2010 6:27 PM
Mellitis mertonpark 1 Sep 1, 2010 12:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America