Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Saint Helens, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
1:01 AM

Post #8074000

I'm in my 40's and have always lived in the general vicinity of Portland, Oregon. After several years of container gardening from the decks of suburban apartments, I now have a house in Columbia County. I'm looking forward to planting a more conventional garden as soon as I get some repairs done around the house and yard. This soil has more clay in it than I like, but it can be fixed. I'm going to build raised beds and cold frames.

I like to grow strange fruits and vegetables just to see what they are like. If I can't get it in a supermarket or a farmers' market, I'll get seeds and grow it myself. I've at least attempted to grow walking onions, strawberry spinach, ground cherries, lingonberries, alpine strawberries and a few strange heirloom varieties of common garden vegetables.

I have a picture here of what my gardening has traditionally looked like...

Thumbnail by 97051
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8075015

welcome 97051 from a current container gardener in upstate new york.
we went in opposite directions. LOL for many years i had a regular in ground garden but the deer and my age got the best of me so now i container garden. i grow only vegetables and mainly tomatoes and ultra hot peppers. i have been using 5 gallon containers but for next season i will switch to 10 gallon size.

again, welcome and you will find this garden site the best anywhere. people are friendly and can answer just about any question you might have.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Welcome Mat Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Introduction pearl 12 Jun 14, 2007 3:08 PM
Louisiana crawdad360 26 May 21, 2009 4:35 PM
Hi Everyone.... From the Chesapeake Bay Area Chesapeake 11 Jun 15, 2008 4:12 PM
Greetings from NE Kansas! azurebloom 11 Sep 29, 2008 1:04 AM
Hello from the Caribbean knotimpaired 14 Sep 3, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America