-
AuthorContent
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8075004

Hippeastrum reticulata while not on a succulent list, its pretty close, a species amaryllis.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8075005

Pelargonium transvaalense nice caudex!

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8075009

Pelargonium triste and another nice caudex.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #8075013

Now one unknown, is it Ledbouria, or Orinthogalum? Or something else?

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #8075498

Following my intuition, the last photo posted is in the Ledebouris family. I believe it is one of the Drimiopsis although the leaf markings are a bit murky. Perhaps the lighting or maybe a cultivar I am unfamiliar with.

Sounds like a nice show/sale. Congrats!

BTW, you had mentioned selling some of your plants at the sale... did you have success?

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 9:23 PM
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #8075791

Oh, yeah, I sold a few, but the final tally is not in, looking around it seems that the best of the plants got sold on Saturday, and I gave the rest to the club to do as they wished, as I did not want so many. One amazed me as a Sedum rupestrus in bud with like 12-15 branches had no buyers. But you should have seen some of the plants on the first day, a Fockea edulis that would blow your mind it must have been 10" tall, 18" long, and 6" inches thick! A real mind bender of a plant.

But I got to take a tour of a greenhouse/house that was amazing. Every caucidform you could imagine, and one I had never heard of, a NW native that likes to live under blackberry bushes, where it can vine away undisturbed. He had one grown from seed that must have been bigger than a 5 gallon bucket. Wish I knew the name.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2010
9:52 PM

Post #8075817

Your Ledebouria (not Ornithogalum) could be L. revoluta. It's one of the bigger Ledebourias.

As to the huge caudex native to the NW, it's probably Marah oreganus: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57540/
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #8075823

I would love to have seen the Fokea Edulis.
I have a beautiful specimen myself
I saw a huge one at the Philadelphia cactus and succulent society meeting.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #8075828

Yep, that is the name I now recall being used, apparently he got so mad trying to get the seeds to germinate, he threw them over his lawn. His wife would now like all of them dug up. I am waiting for the day. Anything that can live outside with a caudex is close to my heart.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #8075834

Boy the L revoluta looks great! but neither shot appears to have the bulb that this plant has along with multiple pups.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #8075861

When I was a kid we lived about 6-7 miles east of Tillamook, OR, up in the mountains. We had that wild cucumber all over the place. Little did I know there were huge caudexes on the mountainsides! Heaven only knows how big they are now, almost 55 years later. I do know the area hasn't been developed at all.

The L. revoluta was a guess, but it's definitely a Ledebouria of some kind. I'll have to look at a couple of my bulb books and see what I can figure out.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #8075885

I am going to repot that plant tomorrow while on break from building Legos for my son, excuse me, I mean my Boss. So I will take some shots to show the bulb better. and the pups. But I will see if it colors up this fall.

faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #8075920

I looked at a couple of my books and they didn't help. Very few descriptions of the bulbs and their respective sizes.

Ledebourias for the most part are difficult to tell apart anyway.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2010
12:52 AM

Post #8075924

Thanks for checking it out. I will post more pics Faeden. But I forgot to say on the greenhouse tour I got to see Pseudobombax ellipticum looking like a misshapen soccer ball with several branches of leaves. He tells me it got that way only after having its growing shoot trimmed off for years after the leaves died. I actually had to ask what it was.

I am waiting for leaf drop on mine. Hee Hee Hee.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #8075925

LOL!!!! Some friends had a house in San Jose, and they had a P. ellipticum in the ground by the garage. It grew huge every year and bloomed like crazy. I'd never seen one that big and also didn't recognize it!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #8076011

AnalogDog wrote: I am going to repot that plant tomorrow...
I am curious if it would be better to wait till spring to repot? It appears to be content in its' container. The reason I ask, I have a Drimia kirkii in a 4" bulb pan that is quite comfortable.

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #8077645

it is in one of the super thin nursery pots, I have repotted healthy plants even during dormancy without effect. Heck, if you don't water it for a week, will a month hurt?

But Ledbourias and such plants that seem less succulent, I treat less like succulents, and may water after a couple of days.

I am wondering if you guys would be comfortable with my mystery being L. luteola? I found it on Arid Gardens and it seems to look similar.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #8077653

The only problem I've found with repotting Ledebourias is that they don't seem to like to be disturbed and take a while to settle in to their new pots.

Arid Lands' pictures of Ledebouria lutea do look somewhat like yours. Here are a couple of other pics for comparison:

http://www.occss.org/pdfnewsletters/occss200606.pdf
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottzona/4152973005/
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #8078292

I think I will keep to L. cf lutea for awhile, I would like to see how it develops under my care.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #8078643

Sounds good to me!
Sally0
Yardley, PA

October 6, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8141842

Great looking plants. I am going to a show on Sunday and I am scared. I should leave my money home.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America