Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: growing coneflower's from seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 11, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 3, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #8078853

I have a lot of White Swan cone flower seeds that I harvested this year, but don't know if the seed is brown or black, and when does a person sow the seed?

thanks
roseycats
zone5
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
1:19 AM

Post #8079528

The seeds are light brown, see http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=20703
Only the fat ones are viable. The seeds can be sown in autumn or winter outdoors. Or you can start them indoors 10 weeks before last frost.

Jonna
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 4, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #8080181

Thanks Jonna

By the way, can you grow the same kind of flowes there? As I can here in Dayton, Ohio Zone 5.

roseycats
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #8080235

Roseycats, I can grow them here, but I lost my plants last winter. It was a very cold and long winter. Usually the coneflowers selfseed here, but the White swan didn't.
If you have enough viable seeds, maybe we can trade. Please have a look at my website to see if you can find something in return. ALL my seeds are available for trading. www.seedsite.eu
And maybe you have more seeds to offer. If so, please let me know, I'm always interested new plants. I prefer non hybrids.

Jonna
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 4, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #8080257

Sorry you lost your White Swan flowers last year, but I do have some seeds, it looks like I have a lot of seed, but after I take out the black whatever it is. It might not be as many. You are more than welcome to have them.
Happy gardening
roseycats
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 4, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #8080265

Jonna, I forgot to tell you, I also have some Yellow Day Lilly seeds.

roseycats
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8080292

I'm not interested in the Day Lilly seeds. I already have a lot of Day Lillies, but they are not doing very well in my garden.
I also saw your question about the Larkspur, but which variety you have? Is it an annual or a perennial?

Jonna
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 4, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #8080416

My Larkspur are perennial, I don't mess around very much with annual's. I haven't started picking these seeds yet, but I think I'll check them out tomorrow, You are welcome to some of these seeds. I don't remember the kind of larkspur, but the back part of the flower's are blue with front lavender.

roseycats
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #8081676

Roseycats, I have a Larkspur that looks the same like yours, so I'm not interested in the seeds. Forgot to tell you how to sow the perennial Larkspur. It's the same as with the Cone flower, but if you want to sow indoors, it's better to stratisfy the seeds for 2 weeks.

Did you find anything on my website to send you in return for the White Swan seeds?

Jonna
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 6, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #8082963

Thanks Jonna, about the seed trade, but I bought an awful lot of flowers this past spring and summer, I am running out of room to put anything else in my yard.

roseycats

P.S. I have the conflower seeds cleared from the black whatever it is, I'm thinking maybe bird seed?

This message was edited Sep 6, 2010 9:23 AM
johnlana
Chatham, IL

September 13, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #8096093

Been having trouble germinating cone flower and other seed, what is best medium (soil) to use in seed starting (sterile). ? John

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #8100468

Can Milkshake Echinacea be grown from seed? If so, I can start collecting them and sending them to you, if you'd like

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America