Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Passifloras: My Passiflora incarnatas just love this hot summer

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 7, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8079114

I love my Passiflora incarnatas. I dug up some runners & shared them with local friends. I even have many fruits on them. I dug up a runner & planted it against our rose arbor about a month ago and the little sucker is about 9 feet up now & blooming. Man, do these plants love hot weather. More than we do. LOL

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rh3708
Westmoreland, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #8079147

Yes mine took off with the hot weather we had in Aug they do love the heat.
Got a field full next to the house and the trees are full of incarnatas i have to keep them cut back on the plum tree but i have let one runner stay in it for the fall.
I added 7 more this year but have them in pots till the roots get bigger.
next year i will put them in the ground and let them go where they want.

Robbie
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #8080893

GREAT!!!! I love the plants and don't even mind the suckering habit.
butterflyaddict
Houma, LA

May 18, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8571328

I am off to the woods to hunt these Friday. My brother gave me a tip and where to find them. any suggestions when digging them up and transplanting?
thanks
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8572634

They don't break the soil here in Pa until sometime in June. When you dig them up, you have to dig deeeeeeep because when they grow, they grow from a long tap root that starts sending out horiz. runners underground. If you don't get down to the bottom of the tap root with the roots on and part of the runner, it won;'t make it. I would use some rootone and root stimulator to water them with once you get them dug & repotted and keep them out of direct sunlight until they get over the shock. Judy Showers
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

May 18, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8572993

Also I would add...try to find a smaller shoot to dig up--the roots won't be as large and you have a better chance of getting most of the roots. If you find some, there will be individual vines coming up everywhere, and you should have your pick of different sizes. If they wilt a little, you can try to cover them with a plastic bag. If they wilt a lot, you have probably cut off too much of the roots when you dug them up. In that case, I would cut off all but about 4 or 5 leaves (leave the vine maybe 18 inches high), and reduce the leaf size of the remaining leaves. That way the roots that you do have can support the leaf area. Once the roots begin to grow again, new shoots will grow from the leaf nodes. The Pennsylvania vines may have deeper roots than ours in order to survive their winters. I have successfully dug up small incarnatas just going a shovel length deep. But I've killed some too. Good luck!

Mark
butterflyaddict
Houma, LA

May 19, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8573313

Thanks for the info Judy and Mark. I would have dug up a larger one, I'll look for the smaller runners.

Thanks again
Terry.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8574944

Good point, Mark. I, too, dig up the runners. Yes, I think you are right. In Pa, the roots are probably much deeper. I know if I dig up enough to get the horiz runner the shoot is attached to, I get enough roots for the transplant to be more successful.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America