Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: September Weather

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 231, Views: 1,268
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #8079794

"But now in September the garden has cooled, and with it my possessiveness. The sun warms my back instead of beating on my head ... The harvest has dwindled, and I have grown apart from the intense midsummer relationship that brought it on."
- Robert Finch

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1123624/
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8079820

YES!! Right now it's 59 with a heat index of 65, today's high is projected to be 85 with a heat index of 87! Wooo Hoooooooo!!

I'm going to go do some weeding

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #8081153

53F Feels Like: 53
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 50
Pressure: 29.98 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 5 min
Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the low 70s. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
Today: Mostly Sunny, High 78
Chance of Precip: 20%
Wind: S at 17 mph
Dyson Dark and Kiska Cool. It's going to be a great day!!

I'm not so far behind... here! I know where all of you are :o)

Tropic, cool pigeon!! I like the way you deal with mosquitos by making them fish food!

Pepper, the butterfly lady made me smile too :o)

Marsue, cool Turks Cap! I think the Eupatorium in your Picassa photos is Boneset instead of Joe Pye Weed.

Thanks for the new thread Chrissy! I love the way Robert Finch puts it :o)

I've been weeding and cutting back the Phlox and the Daylilies. Boy, does it feel good to make a difference and I can see just how much room I have to move things around. It would be nice to cut more, but the Goldfinches ahd other birds are eating the seeds. Those I did cut, I stood up in the weed patch across the road.

We had a good time at my other neighbor's 50th anniversary party yesterday afternoon.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #8081206

That is indeed the perfect quote to start this thread!
Blissfully cool at 44 degrees after going only to 75 yesterday. Yes, it was football weather when the UK Wildcats beat the U. of Louisville Cardinals yesterday afternoon.
It will be warming over the coming days into the 80s, but should remain less humid. We could use some rain.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 5, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #8081277

54 & sunny. A bit breezy.

Market yesterday was crazy once again. The 3 of us had a hard time keeping up. We sold nearly everything we took along.

Today I plan on getting Daylilies & Iris planted. Both came from DG members at nearly no cost. Sure hard to complain about membership price on here when you can get plants so reasonable. Lot nicer plants than you can buy anywhere.

Sunfarm, any thoughts of popping over to the KY Round Up on the 18th ?
We are going to be there Wednesday & stay until Sunday.

I am sure happy for all the sports announcers. They once again have collage football to mull over. They must goes crazy in the off season! LOL!

Better see about breakfast.
Bernie
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 5, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8081302

We've been getting the weirdest weather. Still the dry season and the past few days have been real wet season instead, hot humid and rainy. I was driving out today and ran into a storm. Suddenly couldn't see anything so edged off the road while I still knew it was flat ground. Was worried someone might plough into me from behind. Trouble is there was lightning crashing all around. So close that the thunder was virtually coming with the flashes and streaks. Felt like a sitting duck, not that you're any better off in a moving vehicle. Just feels better.

Humidity last night varied between 96% and 99% and the minimum temperature was 23.9C (75.0F). Today the maximum got to 33.6C (92.5F). Heat index got up to 42.2C (108.0F). No rain at my place but there was lots all around.

This weather is one or two months early. I don't mind the rain, especially as everything's so dry now. But it makes me wonder what's next. They're saying our first cyclone will arrive before Christmas. Not impossible, but unusual.

We have a couple of pigeons with a 'top knot' like in that last photo. This is an Australian Kestrel having a bite of lunch. Looks like a reasonable sized dragon lizard (Agamidae), most probably Bearded Dragon, Pogona minor or P. mitchelli. Took the photo last week on the way home from holidays.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #8081502

Nice quote, Crissy! Thanks for the new thread!
BP: thanks for the information on the Eupatorium--I'm going to check that out because I was told that it was Joe Pye Weed. All I know is that the bees and butterflies love it! LOL
Sunfarm: you all really did get cool--wow!
Bernie: have a great time at the KY RU!
Tropic: that is a neat photo of the Kestrel with the lizard but I rather imagine the lizard didn't think it was so neat!

This morning felt "plumb fall-like" (translation from Southern into English= "a lot like Autumn" LOL) It was 54F on my back porch at 7 a.m. --low humidity--felt even cool enough for a sweater--almost!
We're headed back up into the low 90's for tomorrow so Autumn didn't last long.
# Today: Sunny. High 88F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low 58F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

My moon vine is blooming! Hooray!
Here's a link to more photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/Moonvine?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPujuDdlY6x1gE#

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 5, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #8081564

marsue, you're not that far away either.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 5, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8081918

I just "killed" a computer virus which came from my DD on Yahoo Messenger. It was like a online message from her with a link to a website and a question in English "Is it you in pic?". I was so stupid to click on it, although I got no answer from DD ...then she called to say it was a virus and not to click on that link...grrrrr! My DS sent me a message too with the same request, not to click that link, but it was too late. I didn't have an antivirus, but I figured my laptop should do something about it...and it did, it has a protection, but not an antivirus, so it said I should download one from Microsoft. I did and it killed the virus...uh, what a relief...thank you, Bill Gates!! Now my DS says he has to find one for DD's laptop too. I guess it's once a year I get such a scare...like last summer when I deleted all my pics...that was disastrous!
Mau, what a gorgeous bloom ! I had a few seeds and sowed them in spring, but I guess I took the plants outside too early and they died...ugh! Thanks for posting the pics so I can see what I lost! Your other album is beautiful too!
Sally, how did you cut back the daylilies? Did you cut their leaves? Dyson dark and Kiska cold sounds awful weather!
Crissy, thanks for starting a new thread...wise words!
Tropic, what an unusual pidgeon!
Bernie, more irises? Wow! Have a great time at the RU!
Sun, funny about the football weather!LOL

It was sunny and warmer today 25C=77F, but the nights are cold 10C=50F. I took lots of pics today in the garden. Posting one from the balcony.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #8081958

I know, Bernie, but I am going to Mississippi for the Mid-South RU in October so that is probably all the RU I can handle at this point in time, especially with the cost of gasoline, etc. I would love to come to one of the KY ru's one of these days. You folks usually camp out somewhere, don't you?

Adina: I am glad there was no major damage to your computer from that virus!
I'm also glad that you enjoyed my photo albums. Maybe you will have more luck with the moon vine next year. You have a lovely view of your flowers from the balcony--very nice! :o))

It's been a lovely day here. Friday and I were just outside on the back porch, enjoying the nice weather while sitting in the porch swing. There is not a cloud in the sky and the breeze was blowing softly--very pleasant! :o))

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 5, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #8082088

It is a KOA camp ground, but also has cabins to rent. We get a cabin. Some bring their campers or RV's, or even pup tents.
It's on Lake Barkley, place called Prizer Point.
http://www.prizerpoint.com/

I got my Iris planted. Ground worked up for daylilies. Kind of wet, so will let it dry until tomorrow.
I have a couple rows of Asiatic lilies that I planted for cut flowers, but that didn't work out. Now I need to dig them up & spread them out. I may have some extra bulbs!

This message was edited Sep 5, 2010 6:53 PM
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8082141

Bernie, The KY RU sounds like fun, but I am in eastern Kentucky and the distance is just too far for me to travel. It may actually be closer for some of our Arkansas friends than it would be for me. Another nice day for us here, not even hitting 80 degrees.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #8082849

67F Feels Like: 67 High 83
Past 24-hr: Precip: 0.08 in (est.)
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 53
Pressure: 29.80 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 53 min
Variable clouds and windy with scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

We had flashes of lightning from the South at 8:30 pm and rain at 3:45 am. There's 2/10's in my guage, the wind is softly blowing and it's on the edge of chilly. Ahhh beautiful!

Bernie, good to hear you still have garden to sell. I agree, we send and receive nice plants!

Tropic, wow! Now that is a storm! I hear you on wondering what is next. Love the hawk picture. He's a beauty! Quite a tail on the lizard too :o)

Your welcome Marsue. I have it and Joe Pye Weed in my "wild" area. Yes, the bees do love it! LOL over climbing the ladder! What a wonderful flower! I've never had one, but think about planting it.

Adina, we've all been there. It just teaches us that curiosity does kill the cat. We went ahead and bought McAfee with our package and have been happy with it. I deleted all my pictures too. SIL was able to recover quite a few, but not all. I sure learned a lesson that day. I grabbed a handful of daylily and cut all the leaves off within 6'' or so from the crown with scissors. Laughing, it does sound like terrible weather, but right now after all the heat, it feels mighty nice :o) What a neat balcony picture. I'd love to stand there gazing at the flowers!

I'm glad I mowed yesterday. The oldest Grandson is having his Birthday today, so, cake and ice cream after dinner :o)

We were cleaning the last of the grapes when a formation of 4 planes flew over. I ran for the camera, but they were gone. I went back to cleaning grapes and here they came back. I ran crazy circles in the yard and road trying to catch them circling around. I didn't get the neat pictures I could have, but I did get a few.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #8082850

Another

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #8082851

My favorite, and my desktop picture now

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #8082852

And last

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #8082876

Another cool morning here at 45 degrees. Should go into the 80s today, but still tolerable.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #8083657

Awesome pics BP!

Nice moonflower Mau!

Adina glad you got rid of that virus! I've had them wipe out my whole hard drive before, not a pleasant experience!

Nice Kestrel Tropic! Looks to be about the size of our hawks.

We're having just the best weather this weekend!! I went to Lowes the other day and got a Fireball Luna Hibiscus and a Morning Star Althea, I'll show pics tomorrow when I can download them at work. Me and DH Dave walked up the road to check on our friends who we see all the time and haven't seen them in a couple of months, noticed their 5th wheel is gone so they're on a long trip. Walking back down the hill we stopped to talk to some other neighbors who we say hi to now and then, she has offered if we give her our peaches, plums, and muscadines she will make us jellies! What an awesome trade!! We must have talked to them for an hour, then they came down the road to our house and talked for another hour. I love knowing the neighbors.

I guess it's supposed to get hot again this week, but not as hot as it has been. We all need it to rain down here!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #8084680

BP: those are some good pictures of the planes in formation. I have probably asked you this before but can't remember your answer: Where do those planes come from?
Cheer up, Crissy! We are supposed to have a 50%--60% chance of rain on Wednesday! Oh, happy day! (if the weather folks are correct, that is). It is always nice to meet your neighbors and get to know them better, isn't it. I talk to the neighbors on either side of me and occasionally to the one behind me when she is in her yard when I am outside. (We talk to one another through the fence like Tim Taylor did to his neighbor Wilson on the TV show, Home Improvement. LOL) but it is not like it used to be "back in the olden days" when everybody in your neighborhood knew one another.

Our short burst of autumn has given way to summer again. :o(( I'll be glad when it cools off somewhat and stays that way. Autumn and spring are my favorite times of the year--you can have summer and winter! LOL I'll be glad to get some of that rain that "they" are forecasting--it is so dry that my lawn crackles when I walk across it. :o((
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #8084957

Another relatively cool morning at 53 degrees after a high of 86 yesterday. May have a few showers overnight, but we really need the substantial rain predicted for the end of the week.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8084972

Eeek. Where does the time go!

60* and chilly. The wind blew and gusted last night, and I saw lightning and heard deep rumbly thunder, but we got no more rain.

Thanks Chrissy! Wow! An awesome trade is right!

Marsue, I'm not sure. They were over here last year too, split off and did a bit of an air show for us. They didn't stay as long this time. They just split off, circled, left and returned a short time later to head back the way they came. My former neighbor and I did the fence talk too. I miss that. At least we know the new neighbor that bought the house and kind of know the new neighbor farther up the alley.

I'm watering for my neighbor today. They just had the anniversary party and now are going to re-visit their dating places. I thought that was so neat!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #8085052

Hooray. it's raining! We are getting the northeastern edge of Tropical Storm Hermine although we don't have the heavy downpours and high winds like the folks in southeast Texas are experiencing. This will make pulling weeds so much easier. I also have some torch lilies that I want to move and separate so my task will be easier with the ground being softer.

Current conditions as of 8:03 AM CDT
Light Rain Feels Like:
77 F
Barometer:
30.1 in and steady
Humidity:
94 %
Visibility:
3 mi
Dewpoint:
72 F
Wind:
S
Sunrise:
6:45 AM
Sunset:
7:27 PM

Forecast:
# Today: Variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms. Humid. High around 85F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms. Humid. Low near 70F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 7, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8085209

Big wind today. About the same as Texas hurricane, except we don't make a big deal about it.
Cool today, 50 some.
Same old thing, getting ready for market. Still lots of veggies around, because of nice rainy, hot summer.

Bought wood for trimming house windows. Also floor joists for our deck/porch. Want to get outside of house finished this fall.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 7, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #8085288

Sunny today, 75F, very nice and warm. Strong wind last night here too.
Mau , so glad you got rain!
SallyBP, Happy Belated Birthday for your grandson! What presents did he get? Great pics of the planes! I had to giggle about you running in and out for the camera!LOL
Crissy, we were there too, had to clean-up the hard disk once and lost all from a virus. Can't wait to see the new plants you bought!
Here's the sky while I was waiting for the sun to come out from the clouds so I can get a picture!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 7, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #8085290

This is what I wanted to photograph.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8085340

Marsue, I hope you are out dancing in the rain! I couldn't believe how hard our ground was too.

Bernie, laughing!!! Big wind here too and I won't bother to set up the chairs till it's done. I'll bet you get all your jobs done AND start a new one or two :o)

Adina, we got him a flying dinosaur like the one on the set of sheets he picked for himself :o). I think it's a new movie. I never thought I'd be one of those Grandma's so out of touch with the youth. Ha! I am! I love all sky pictures. Each is worthy in it's own right. And the yellow bloom is beautiful!! I'd say you have mastered your camera!

It's 70* sunny, windy and not bad. I think we're removing the bedroom air conditioner later. It will be nice to get my window back. We need the sun now, and if not, I have shades and curtains to close.

This was the moon yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #8085385

I forgot to add a link. I've been talking to Dinu and he linked me to his water saving article. It's the right time to review choices with a lot of drought going on.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1802/
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #8085744

Hi all! I have to regret that I forgot my camera this morning! Better luck tomorrow, right?

Yes, it rained!! Supposed to rain a bunch more too, oh how do we need it. When did Hermie crop up, I missed the whole thing.

Nice Adina!

That's interesting BP.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #8086135

I'm back!! I've been without internet for almost a week. Finally got it all fixed and now have it back. Playing catch-up on here!!

Weather has been pretty nice with a day here and there in the upper 80s. Otherwise high 70s to low 80s. Tomorrow Hermonie starts getting closer and we get chances of rain for a few days.

While I've been without internet I've also been without my truck for a few days. Ignition went out Friday when I was on the way to work. Luckily my dad was home so he drove me to work then went to shop to find out what was wrong. He finally got it fixed today and tomorrow I pick it up. So things have been very eventful around here!!

Have a few new pics to download to comp and will start posting them when I have time again.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8086172

RAIN HERE TOO!!!!!!
At least a 1/2 inch!
First significant rain in 25 days!

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #8086625

50F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 46
Pressure: 30.15 in
Visibility:1 0.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 22 min
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 50s.
Today: Sunny. High 74F. Winds light and variable.

Crissy, I hope you get all the rain you need! Maybe someday you will need a set-up to catch the rainwater like Dinu.

Pepper, if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all :o) Sorry about your truck and computer. Hope it's all fixed now!

Ric, 1/2 inch is a good rain!

It looks to be a good day for us. I'm slowly cutting back plant stems that I don't want to re-seed or that the birds won't eat. It's looking pretty bare in spots :o)
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #8086685

Only 0.02" in the gauge from last night about 9PM, but we should get some of Hermine's leftovers Friday and possibly Saturday.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8086793

Bernie: I think BP is correct--you will not only finish the exterior of your house but you will find other projects to complete! :o)) I think you are the kind of man who doesn't like to be idle.
Adina: nice shot of the clouds and pretty yellow flower, too! Is that a zinnia?
BP: interesting link--he has certainly done his homework!
Pepper: welcome back--glad the truck is fixed--hope the internet problems are solved, too. Did you ever notice how the cable and/or internet companies never pro-rate your bill when you are out of service? GRRRRRR
ric: Hooray--you got some rain! I don't think we got as much as 1/2 inch yesterday but it is raining again this morning--not much but we will take it. We have a 60% chance of more rain today but "they" are saying it will be mainly in the western and northern parts of the stae--which leaves me out. :o(( Still, there is hope. . .

# Today: Rain showers early then thundershowers for the afternoon. Humid. High 86F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
# Tonight: Variably cloudy with scattered thunderstorms. Humid. Low around 70F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 40%.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #8087125

Rain Rain Rain Rain it started raining at my house at 7:30 this morning and all the while I was at the dentist and dr it was raining!!! Oh how we need it!!!.

Pep I am so sorry too for your troubles, I hate not having a vehicle, glad your dad was home and able to rescue you last Friday. Yikes!

The dentist took a whopping 30 minutes and no cavities! That's a first!!!

The dr did a COPD/Asthma test on me and I am officially borderline Asthmatic, which I told him that a coupe of years ago, diagnosed probably 10 years ago, but there were no tests to prove it, so now it's on record. He gave me a sample of Symbicort and sent me on my merry way. I was going to get a bite to eat but decided to come into work because every time I go see him I have to calm myself down! LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #8087417

going to work calms you down, Crissy? LOL Well, if you are going to have asthma, I suppose it is good to make it "official". Is that what was bothering you when we were at Charlotte's?

Hooray! We did get more rain--in fact it rained for at least 2 hours, maybe longer and boy did we need it. It has stopped now but looks like it could start up again any minute. This will surely perk up all the plants--not to mention the grass--and the weeds!! Hey, I'm not complaining--I'll even take the weeds! LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2010

Post #8087640

LOL Getting away from my hot dr calms me down. We're the same age and seem to have a lot in common so we get to talking about something we'll sit there and chat for 10 minutes, plus he's hot, so sitting here at work yes calms me down. I walked in about 10:30 and went to my office, one of the gals walked in my office and I was fanning myself LOL!!! I told her now that I'm away from him until the next ailment I can calm down!

Yes, it is what was bothering me and Yes, I still have it. I'm just glad I know for sure what's going on and that it's official now. Hopefully the Symbicort will get rid of it.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #8087850

Pretty decent here but the humidity is up. Clouds started rolling in this afternoon but the sun broke thru a few times. Not too bad out.

Hermine will hit us but barely it appears. The worst of it should be south of here. Plenty of rain coming but not as much as first predicted.

Back of wooden spider at Powell Gardens. The Big Bugs exhibit is there til Oct 3rd.

Thumbnail by pepper23

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #8087978

Wow Pep, that's neat!

There's a storm that's been producing a tornado for 3 hours now headed right for us, it popped up at 4:30 just south of Washington, AR. I keep thinking that it's going to weaken but it doesn't. I've been chanting fizzle fizzle fizzle for a long time now.

Ok, it fizzled! Yes!!

This message was edited Sep 8, 2010 7:11 PM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #8088276

And another tornado tracking the same path as the previous one, and at 10:00pm they put us in a tornado watch until 5am. I'm not happy.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 9, 2010
3:16 AM

Post #8088523

I've finally finished the article...yiipeee!
Crissy, so sorry you have asthma, but it's good you have it officially so you can treat it. ..especially when you have a HOT doctor!LOL Stay safe from the tornado and keep us posted!
Mau, yes, it's a zinnia. I was in a "taking pictures" mood that day and everything seemed to be a good subject!LOL
SallyBP, I wonder how am I going to be as a grandma, if I'm ever going to be next to Nicholas and any other of my other grandkids...which I hope I'll get from my children!LOL
In the meantime I had some really busy days here, at work and at home. My boss wants me to work for all the days I'll be away, but I don't mind. He's nice to let me go as it is, without cutting off of my salary.
At home we had to search for a hotel where the Godparents will stay...we found a perfect one in Lugano. Andreea wanted us to help her with the search because she got discouraged by the 2 hotels in Campione, which had too expensive rooms.
Also, Cici wanted to start applying for a job for him in Switzerland or Italy, so we can leave the country and be with the kids. I had to write 3 CVs for him , one in Italian, one in English and one in Romanian. It seems there is a program in the European Union about getting nurses and medical doctors from Romania. So many of them have already gone and they are still more for leaving. The salary here is a disgrace and I can't blame them when we want the same thing. Life is too short to live it only for paying debts or just for buying food to survive from one day to another!
Anyway, we got an answer from the website we applied at, but I guess it was just an automatic one. Cici wants to call them and ask what if he is blind...massage is blinds usual job, but many employers don't want them around. I can't wait to hear what they will have to say.
Here's a link to my newest album with pics from my garden :

http://picasaweb.google.ro/adinamiti/GradinaSeptembrie?authkey=Gv1sRgCO7ep6n14O6FJQ#

And with pics of Nicholas :

http://picasaweb.google.ro/adinamiti/Nicholas3?authkey=Gv1sRgCN3Ur9-b68vM5wE#

Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #8088586

58F High 75
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 52
Pressure: 30.08 in
Through 11am: Partly to mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 50s. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
Today: Partly cloudy. High around 75F. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph:

I'm runing late this morning.

Chrissy, it seems like we still have to Doctor ourselves. I'm glad you got thru to them about your asthma. Yay on no cavities!!

Pepper, love the spider!

Adina I really enjoyed all your pictures! Nicholas is changing so much already. I love the sleeping picture with Mom! You will be a great Grandma. Half of it is trying to listen to everything they say. My eyes glaze over, but they're too young to notice that right now, LOL! I really hope the job hunting works out for you. When you sell your house, do it in full bloom. Your Zinnia bed is my envy!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 9, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #8088680

Been getting some cloud here, rain though is in short supply. It'll come, but sooner would be better. The minimum this morning was 22.2C (72.0F) and the maximum this afternoon was 36.4C (97.5F).

Early morning light at my place a few days ago - clouds of unfulfilled promises.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8088710

Crissy: sounds like you to need to change doctors--find an old grampa-like doctor. You will stay out of trouble that way! LOL
Pepper: that wooden spider would cause nightmares for an arachnaphobe!
I'm not exactly an arachnaphobe but I do not like spiders!!
Adina: Nicholas is precious and such a sweet face! Loved all the photos of him and those of your gardens, too,. It seems a shame to go off and leave your lovely new home but I understand perfectly your desire to live close to your DD and Nicholas. Good luck in finding jobs for you and Cece. Do you speak Italian, too? It seems that Europeans are all multi-lingual while here in the U.S. we just think everybody should speak English so we won't have to put forth the effort of learning a foreign language. We Americans are spoiled!
Tropic: it still amazes me how hot it is over there in your "winter"!

One of the local TV weather guys this morning said that Little Rock-the capital city which is 30 miles south of me--had 3/4 inch of rain yesterday at the official weather station at the airport. I rather imagine we got that much, as well, although I don't have a rain guage. The ground has already pretty much soaked it up--like a sponge! Even so, there are flash flood watches out across the state.
Current conditions as of 7:55 a.m.
Partly Cloudy
Feels Like:
77 F
Barometer:
29.95 in and steady
Humidity:
94 %
Visibility:
10 mi
Dewpoint:
72 F
Wind:
ESE
Sunrise:
6:46 AM
Sunset:
7:24 PM
The Northwestern part of our state is getting lots of rain this morning from the effects of former Tropical Storm Hermine. We are overcast but no rain--it may not make it down to the central portion of the state where I live. Still, the clouds do keep things cooler. It is very humid, though.
# Today: Rain showers in the morning with thunderstorms developing for the afternoon. Humid. High 86F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
# Tonight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Humid. Low 72F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8088743

Adina those pics are awesome and yes, I like the zinnia bed the most too! Nicholas is changing already, he is adorable! I agree, try to put your house up for sale in full bloom. I know, your thinking, "In a perfect world!" LOL

I was running late this morning too, did not want to get out of bed!

The tornadoes fizzled again, thank God, and I had the strangest thing happen when I went to bed last night. I laid down flat on my back because I wanted to watch some TV, but it was killing me to do so with this rib muscle pleurisy whatever it is, but it moved from the far right side kind of under my bra strap to the bottom of my rib cage in front. I was in so much pain I rolled over onto my left side and things started moving in there. After it all settled down I rolled back over onto my back and the pain was gone! I can still feel it but not near as bad. The inhaler is already working, I'm not all itchy in my bronchial tubes and I can actually laugh a little without coughing myself to oblivion. It's just borderline Asthma so that's good.

That's a nice pic Tropic, makes me want to take a vacation lol
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8088749

LOL Mau, no I'm not changing drs, we both go to him so it's all good, thank goodness Dave's not the jealous type!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #8088780

Okay, then, Crissy--if your Dave is agreeable with it, then I am too! (not that you need my permission--LOL)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 9, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8088823

" of rain in the gauge at 8AM & still raining now.
50 some degrees. Feels cold!

Might put a damper on market today.

I guess it's time to work more on cabinets.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8089179

Yes, I do need your permission! LOL Dave's always telling me he was born on a day, but not yesterday! LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8089287

LOL! That's a good one!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #8089689

LOL Yea he has a whole bunch of them. I should write them down so I can remember them as he says them. I should get out of my pj's and go check the rain gauge.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #8089724

Out of all the rain we got yesterday and today, we got 1/2 inch here at the house.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8089814

Drizzly for the most part all day. Occasional showers but mostly just a cold drizzle. Temps hit mid 70s I think but now we are low 70s maybe high 60s. Been a bit chilly all day.

Heart of the Jungle ee and switchgrass.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #8090510

56F High 73
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 52
Pressure: 29.96 in
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 3 min
Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 50s. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph.
Today: A mix of clouds and sun. High 73F. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph
Showers this evening then thundershowers developing overnight. Low near 60F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%

Tropic, what a beautiful picture! They do look like rain clouds, so I hope sooner than later for you too. I noticed the last rain we got did not save my Astilbes and if I don't get out there and water, I'm going to lose a couple. I think I need to mark and move them so I can keep them watered better.

Marsue, I always imagine every root underground soaking up the rain as fast as it comes too.

Wow, Chrissy, that is strange. It sounds like you had a fluid mass that moved. A half inch rain sounds good to me!

Bernie, you were getting the rain!

Pepper, either that's mighty big grass or baby EE's :o)

The sun is out and it's cold and breezy this morning. I think I want yesterday back!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #8090571

Pepper: good photo of the switch grass and ee's.

Yeah, BP; we are never satisfied are we? Remember how we could hardly wait for summer to arrive this year because of the bad winter and when it arrived we were complaining(down here in the south) about the heat and now we are wanting autumn to hurry up? LOL
We are back to hot and humid again. :o~
# Today: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Hot and humid. High 93F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms this evening, then skies turning partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low near 75F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

spathes on the Big Dippers

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 10, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #8090972

Thundering at the moment. We don't need more rain!

Getting ready for market. Found a bunch more small pickles. Some ladies will be happy.
Nice bunch of butternut & acorn squash also.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #8091034

I am a week behind on this thread, so I won't comment much, but it sounds like everyone is getting rain, except me, of course, but that is to be expected.

Our weather is usually pretty constant at this time of year but lately it has been all over the map. It was around 100F over the weekend and then very cloudy and no more than 70F on Tues and Weds. We went hiking on Weds and closer to the coast it was misty. Someone in San Diego County said that it rained, but I don't know if it was real rain or not. Weather is supposed to be more "normal" this weekend - sunny and high 80s.

Hiking pictures are here if you care to look. http://cubits.org/dayhikes/thread/view/34478/ We still have a few flowers going.
(Tropicbreeze, this is my dry season, too, though obviously we have ours in the summer.)

In the middle of this picture you'll find a windmill and water tank. This is a park now, and not a ranch, so it isn't pumping water, but it still spins and groans. We were probably a half mile away from it and could hear it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #8091081

No you guys up there in MN don't need more rain! You've had a wet one this summer. Kinda weird because at the end of the year last December AR was 200% above normal on rainfall, now we're like 8" short on rainfall, whatever percentage that comes out to.

Kelli nice to see you!! That's a neat picture, makes you wonder what went on there and when, kinda takes me back in time.

Neat picture Pep!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 10, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8091439

Got any good boats for sale ? Raining off & on all afternoon. Yard looks like a lake. Puddles are overflowing into other puddles. Ground can't hold any more.

We've been picking between showers. Watermelons, basil & Glads left, I think.
Supposed to be nicer tomorrow. Sure hope so.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8091748

I need to get out there in the morning and pick some tomatoes before they all ripen on the plant!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #8092522

We are getting a bit of the rain today. Just light showers so far, but we have hope (and forecast) for more. Mild temps, with a high of 72 yesterday and only about 10 degrees cooler than that this morning.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 11, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8092761

No rain in my corner of the planet. From the look of the sky these days it probably doesn't even know what that word means.

Marsue, winter officially ends here 31 August, so we're almost 2 weeks into spring now.

Crissyr, I like my morning views, even more when there's a lot of colour in the sky.

Billyporter, unfortunately those rain clouds in the photo are now only pixels and memories. Have to wait for the next lot to turn up.

Kelli, I've been looking at some of your hike photos. It's inspired me to get together some of my photos to put up on cubits. I'll post a link when I've uploaded.

CountryGardens, check the floating markets in Bangkok, you might get some good ideas from there ;O)

Overnight minimum temperature at home of 21.0C (69.8F) and maximum today of 37.9C (100.2F). Our cloud of a few days ago has disappeared leaving us with bright blue skies, and a sun with quite a bit of kick. Can't see any rain forming up in the near future unfortunately. But to our south, in the desert country, they're continuing to get way above normal rainfall. And down in the south east of the continent, following a severe drought for the past 15 years and horrific bushfires last year, this year they're under flood waters. The farmers aren't game to complain though just in case it all suddenly disappears.

Galahs (Eolophus roseicapilla) from my visit to the central desert a couple of weeks ago. Although, Galahs are common all over the country.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #8093575

Tree Flamingos! LOL!
Lovely birds!

Foggy here now.
We had another brief but nice shower.

Temps will be in the 80's now.
I doubt we see 90 again this year.
Good riddance!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #8093688

Rain all day yesterday then last night around 8pm an electrical storm rolled thru and not even 30 min later knocked out our electricity for about an hour or so. Since it was pitch black outside we decided to go drive around and see who had power and who didn't and get some ice cream while we were out. When we got back the power was back on.

Today it was foggy early this morning then sunny and high in the high 70s with a nice breeze. We spent the day in Des Moines for my neice's birthday party and just got home about 15 min ago.

This morning I had to move my truck and for some reason my brakes are locking up. We don't know if the back brakes are finally needing replacing after 4 years o if something else is wrong. It sounded like an old lady with nothing better to do other than complain this morning. LOL. We will be working on it tomorrow along with my dad's truck since apparently it's doing the same thing. I just can't win right now. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #8094233

55F
High 82
Humidity: 84%
Pressure: 30.06 in
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 32 min
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures rising towards the low 70s. Winds light and variable.
Today: Mostly sunny. High 82F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.

Marsue, I just can't believe we're heading into winter. Summer, and I use the term losely, went too fast! Gorgeous picture!

Bernie, I think you have had the best garden out of all of us!

Kelli, smiling over the groaning windmill. Love the picture!

Tropic, that's what I need! A spring home to ''snowbird'' to :o) Smiling over the floating markets. Now that is extreme weather. I couldn't be without rain. Ooooh, pretty birds!

Pepper, I like your way of ''riding the storm out'' :o) Hey, sounds like a good song title! Awww Pepper. I hope both trucks are quick fixes and then I'd run and trade them off. Wow on the zinnias!

The boys go home sometime this afternoon. Till then, I won't get much done.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8094247

A disappointing 0.06" in the gauge this morning after the frontal passage. We needed more than that. Forecast temps look pleasant but wish we could get more rain before late in the week.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8094303

Rain's spotty here too Sunny.
We got maybe .2" yesterday morning.
And judging from the forecast we won't be seeing much more till Thursday or so.
Highs in the low 80's so that will help the watering.

Pep it used to be trucks/cars rarely had back brake problems.
Change shoes every once in a while, turn the drums at 100,000 or so but that was about it.
It was usually brake lines back there.
Now w/ 4 wheel discs and ABS they seem to go out all the time.

I'm finally getting around to organizing, editing and posting all the Butterfly shots from this year on Flickr.
So far I'm up to 25 different ones in the Collection.
Hopefully the two field guides I bought will be in soon...lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8094321

Sunfarm, we're needing the fall rain too. I have cracks in the front yard again.

Ric, I hope you link us to Flickr. 25 is an impressive amount. I don't have that many in my pictures yet, but I am getting new ones just in my own yard.

What on earth is that plant? It makes a neat picture. Nice detail on the Monarch!

I set one in the birdbath so I wouldn't have any more drowned bees. It worked, so I added more.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #8094322

Sorry.
Here's the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157624771528203/

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8094347

Kelli, as always, I enjoyed the hiking photos. I keep expecting you to tell us that you have had a book published of your hiking pics.
Crissy: are we still 8 inches behind on rainfall after this week?
Bernie: wouldn't it be nice if the rain could be spread out evenly over the whole country? :o))
KY Sally: sure hope you get your share of the rainfall! By the way, I'm still holding your hand and squeezing it tight! (((((((((((((((Sally)))))))))))))))))))
Tropic: what pretty birds--love the topknot on the one to the lower left! I imagine with spring and summer heading your way, that your temps will be even higher!
Pepper: so sorry about the vehicle problems--sure hope you get them "fixed" soon! Those zinnias sure add a bright spot to late summer, don't they?
BP: It sure didn't feel like we are heading into winter around here--yesterday it was in the low 90's! "Cooler" today with temps "only" in the high 80's! LOL You will be breathing another sigh of relief when the boys leave only to be wishing them back again in a few days--that's the way it is with grandparents--and that is our privilege! LOL
Ric: I sure hope we can say goodbye to the 90's around here pretty soon! Pretty shot of the Monarch. You are going to be able to write your own field guide! :o))

It was hot and steamy yesterday after our rain in the morning. Still the rain was needed-at least in my area. We have had some rain every day since Wed.
This morning there are no clouds in sight. The plants have all perked up and are saying, "Thank you for the rain!" :o))
# Today: Lots of sunshine. High 87F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: A few clouds. Low 57F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8094373

Wow, ric--I am gi-normously impressed (to use a phrase that my DGD uses)!!! I'm expecting a "coffee table" book from you, too! With each photo I found myself being amazed at the detail and clarity! GREAT job!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8094388

Thanks Mau!
I actually am working on it.
Or at least a Website or Cubit for Ohio Butterfly hunters...

This just came to my attention.
Frank and Jim have gone out on a big limb here for an extremely noble cause.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1124902/

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 12, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8094458

65 sunny. Beautiful day.

Rain is good, mud is about gone.
Our soil takes the water pretty fast. Most fields are well tiled here, so not much standing water. Looks like harvest of corn & soybeans will start in about a week.

BP, I thought you were getting rain every day.

Working on some garden gates for a guy in town. He fenced his whole yard with the white plastic pickets, so making gates to match. Will go put them on this afternoon.

Later I am going to plant some daylilies I bought from Badseed.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #8094684

Tropic, I love the birds. Out here in a few canyons, there are some green parrots living in the wild. I don't think there are enough to cause an invasiveness problem and I like to see them.

BP, Lifeguard to the Bees, re: the groaning windmill - That is the best word I could come up with for the sound. It isn't a screech and it isn't a creak. Groan is probably a good word on several levels. That windmill has seen a lot, including brush fires, of course.

Mau, there may be a book coming some day. I've got enough pictures accumulated.

Bernie, I wish you lived out here. We would get you to build some cabinets in the kitchen. We have "breakfast area" but never sit there. We just pile the table with junk and have soda cartons and stuff for recycle laying on the floor. I'd like to have built in cabinets over there to stash the stuff. Maybe some day. It isn't real high on the priority list. I'd also like a new dining room table/chairs and a new range top but I hate to spend the money unless it is an emergency. (Every time I clean the range top, I hope it breaks soon so I can get one of those smooth top ones.) The refrigerator makes strange sounds sometimes, too.

Should be fairly seasonal today - high 80s and sunny.

Only two or three more months of dry season left to go!

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #8094884

Bernie: how about a pic of the new gates?
Kelli: Looks kinda like "crop circles" in the center of the photo! Heh, heh, heh.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 12, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #8094892

We are on our second flat top electric stove. Old one was wrong color for our new kitchen.
It had been hit by a power surge one winter, so timer & clock didn't work. My stepson has it & still uses it. Everybody claims you can't use a flat top for canning, nonsense, my wife cans a lot on it. Sure easy to keep clean.

If I had a capable truck, I would do cabinets around the country. A lady in Nashville also would like me to do hers. I passed up on one in northern KY.
Might have to do that one of these days.
We did one last winter that was 200 miles from the shop & it worked OK.

Lots of work for this winter already!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 12, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #8094910

Meant to add a picture. This is our kitchen.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 12, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8094916

That is the old stove.
This is the sink corner.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #8095286

Very nice, Bernie! I have white cabinets in my kitchen, too. I think they look crisp and clean!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #8095594

Nice and sunny.

Got truck fixed. Back brakes basically fell apart so we had to put new ones on.

Some yellow flowers blooming in the pasture.

Thumbnail by pepper23

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #8096130

A cool morning at 48; temps in the 80s this week, with rain to reappear Thursday.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8096169

Very pleasant early this morning; Local weather guy tells us the ragweed pollen and mold count are high. :o((
# Today: Mostly sunny. High 88F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 58F. Winds light and variable.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8096226

61* and feeling pretty nice! We'll have a high of 81*, 10% chance of rain and NNW breezes. MMM MMM MMM!

I am ALONE with my thoughts today. The boys went home late in the evening yesterday. We were all ready :o)

Ric, I had to bookmark Flickr since there were so many to look at. Gorgeous pictures on those I did peek at!! I think the Question Mark is fast becoming my favorite, along with the Buckeye, since I have them here. I'd love to have the Pipevine. Thanks for the link to Frank and Jim's cause.

Marsue, so true. Usually all you have to do is think about them and you're planning on when to get them next :o) I love that tree basket!! Bright red was the color to add.

Bernie, whole corn fields are starting to disappear this week. The harvest is on!! We were getting rain, but now we aren't and the ground is cracking open. I haven't seen that happen in years. We just don't have the clay for that. MY Dad will get bottomless cracks in his gumbo every year. We will all enjoy your pictures of Daylilies next year!

Kelli, we have a few groaners around here, so it was the perfect word for them! I think your hiking pictures are fantastic documents and are valuable in case things change in the years to come. We are over do for a polarity flip. Not that we will know unless Scientists tell us it happened. But, the world is getting weird anyway.

LOL! Bernie would be busy no matter where he lived! (I had the same thoughts myself.) Your wife is a lucky woman with a beautiful kitchen! Almond really didn't fit in did it? I like counters I can reach in a step or two. I am so jealous of the windows over the sink!!

Really, there is so much to look at in one of your far ranging pictures. It's not plain and drab.

Pepper, I'm glad you're going to be heading out with new brakes, especially with winter coming. The pasture behind the Catholic Cemetery looks like that and has Boneset. It's where I got mine and be danged if I didn't get a volunteer Goldenrod too. Nice serene picture. I can see the grasshoppers jumping, hear the insects droning, feel the sun...

Marsue, I feel for those with allergies :o(

Have a great day all! I get to mow!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8096533

BP, giving a hug!!! I know how you feel with that empty house. (((((hug)))))
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #8097287

[quote]Looks kinda like "crop circles" in the center of the photo![/quote]

I think that what you are looking at is where people have cleared brush away from their houses and/or stables. The fire department recommends, I think 200 feet cleared around buildings, though a lot of people don't do that. You know by now that fire dictates a lot of why things are the way they are here.

Nice kitchen, Bernie. We have oak cabinets, which is how the house was built. Some things about the house are kind of cheap, but the kitchen cabinets are nice. (House was built in 1964, so even the "cheap" things probably aren't that bad compared to newer houses. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet the little niceities are few and far between in the non-luxury houses.)

Pepper, I like your field pictures, but for some reason, they make me kind of itchy. ;-)

Was hotter than expected.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on September 13, 2010
90 F
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 35 F
Wind: 8 mph from the ESE

If this article needs a picture, I've got the perfect one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malibu_Ozarks

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #8097492

Warmed up today to a toasty 85 degrees. Storms northwest of us that might give us some rain tomorrow if any of it holds together.

This is a plant in the pasture. I should have climbed the fence to get a closer look at it but I took the pic at the time of day when skeeters are out in full force so was trying to hurry up. lol. I don't know what it is but it sure is pretty.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 13, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8097591

We've done remodels on kitchens from the 60's & 70's. Most have really nice cabinets but lousy doors & drawers. So we just put new drawers & doors on the old cabinets. About the price & look great when done.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8097648

LOL, Kelli, at the photo for the "Malibu Ozarks". Enjoyed the article, too--who knew?
Pretty wildflower, pepper.

A nice day today. My next door neighbors have a new little Schnauzer. Her name is Bonnie and they have had her about a month. They also have another dog named Boo. Friday and I were visiting with them this afternoon and I took this picture of my neighbor, John and his daughter, Michelle, with the 3 dogs.

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #8098493

LOL Kelli! Look at all the roads on those mountains. I think your right, I think it is 200ft, funny how people don't realize how safer it would be for them if they would keep their property cleared, fires happen all the time in the hills, it's so dry it's unreal.

Nice pic Mau! Me And You And A Dog Named Boo!

Who remembers that song?

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8098501

Here you go, Crissy! :o))
http://www.metrolyrics.com/me-and-you-and-a-dog-named-boo-lyrics-lobo.html
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 14, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #8098728

[/quote]the photo for the "Malibu Ozarks". Enjoyed the article, too--who knew?[/quote]

Even I didn't know. I have never heard that phrase before, but it's not like I hang around with the Malibu crowd. I just hang around in their turf. ;-)

[quote] funny how people don't realize how safer it would be for them if they would keep their property cleared[/quote]

Some time I'll have to get a windshield video of Red Rock Canyon Road. It is a narrow, almost one lane, barely paved, deadend road through a thick oak woodland with various houses - from hillbilly to millionaire - along it. It is quaint, but a firetruck nightmare and a brush fire disaster waiting to happen.

[quote]Who remembers that song?[/quote]

Yep, it's like Ric in his younger days - but maybe that was on a different thread.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 14, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #8098928

Mau, what a lovely picture! Friday is so cute!
Sally, I know how you must feel! It's hard being a grandma! Your plant seems to be a rudbeckia.
Bernie, wow, your kitchen looks great! Love those cabinets! I also have white!
Tropic, love those birds, great pic!
Ric, I can't wait to see those pics on Flickr. Your Bfly pics are awesome!
Nice weather today, warm and sunny. 70F seems great for September!
I have 10 more days before I'm leaving to my DD's...yiippeeee! I just received the papers with Nicholas' birth ceritifcate and will have to go and make a Romanian one for him...such a mess with these papers!
Picture of the moon a few nights ago.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #8099447

Adina!!!! Waving!!!

That was one of my favorite songs when I was about 3 or 4, I also liked another one, can't think of it right now... something about a dealer and a dog named Jig and a cat named Kalamazoo. Also gotta love that Rainbow Stew!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #8099456

Della and the Dealer by Hoyt Axton!!

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/axton-hoyt/della-and-the-dealer-239.html
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8099459

Mid 80s and sunny today. Rain came thru the overnight hours and we have a slim chance of rain tonight and a very good chance of rain tomorrow.

Sweet Autumn clematis blooming in the tree.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8099543

Didn't have a Dog named Boo... but I had a cat named Bo...lol!

Kelli I have to agree.
Many of the roads we traveled in the Malibu area and Tijunga were amazing packed w/ foliage.
Course now many of them are burned out...

I'm taking Butterfly and Moth shots faster than I can ID or Edit them.
But it's a 'make hay' situation.
In a few weeks they will be gone for the Winter.
My ID Book... Butterflies of Ohio came yesterday and it's helping...
Here's what I have so far...

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #8100147

Crissy: I had three cats (mother, daughter, granddaughter) named Rootbeer but never one named Kalamazoo! LOL
hooray, Adina! You get to go see DD and Nicholas! Get us lots of that sweet baby sugar! :o))
Pepper: that clematis likes the tree! LOL
Ric: great job with the butterfly pics--you are getting quite a collection!

No hint of autumn around here:
# Today: Abundant sunshine. Hot. High near 95F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: A few passing clouds, otherwise generally clear. Low 69F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Augusta Duelberg salvia--I had Henry Duelberg, too, but he didn't make it through our hot summer. Got both of them at the RU in May.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #8100152

Our friend, Sunfarm (KY Sally) needs our prayers, folks. She is facing a difficult time ahead of her and needs our prayers for strength, encouragement, wisdom and grace. Please remember her in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #8100194

57* and chilly. I hope we get rain today!

Celia, thanks for the hug!

Kelli, reading about the phone prefixes reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, LOL! They can keep their expensive property!

Pepper, it might be Canada Tick Trefoil. One is Canada and one is Illinois. It's showing up all over here now. I dug a plant years ago down the railroad tracks but when I transplanted it a few years after, I lost it. I just got another plant last fall, but it's not the deep gorgeous purple I once had.

Bernie, I hear you on good cabinet framing. I always wonder why my heavy dishes haven't pulled my 1963 cabinets off the wall yet.

Marsue, the dogs are adorable and so are your neighbors :o)

Chrissy, I remember the song :o)

Kelli, I'd love to see a video of the Red Rock Canyon Road! Smiling over Ric :o)

Adina, it is, and it's called Prairie Sun. I grew them from seed and they are perennial for me. I love them!! I don't envy you the paper work. Is the one for Romania so he can visit? Smiling over the moon! Wasn't it a neat one!

Pepper, we were in another town and they let their clematis grow ion the ground along a sidewalk. It looked really good. I like it in a tree too!

Ric, I agree, get pictures while you can! I'll get back to your pictures. Maybe I'll confirm what I have that are unnamed!

Marsue, Root Beer is an interesting name. All my runts were and are named Petey.
I love salvias!

Sunfarm, you ARE in my thoughts!

Missing Dyson.

I looked up while mowing and saw pelicans on the move.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #8100255

Thanks, all. I am having surgery tomorrow and will be away from my computer probably until the end of the month. I ask not for prayers of healing but for the grace to accept the reality that my breast cancer from last year has metastasized and to have the wisdom to make the right decisions about those things that are within my control or influence.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8100262

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Sally-sun)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #8100457

Oh Sally lots and lots of prayers are going up to you!!! Big big big (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))) too
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8101243

Currently storming. Has been raining off and on all day. High was probably in the 80s though it felt more like high 70s.

Sunfarm, big hugs to you!! Good luck with your fight. I sincerely hope it all works out for the best for you.

Lime Sorbet petunias. They have been blooming non-stop all summer long.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8101297

Sally you are in our Hearts here!
((((Sally))))

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #8101746

66F
High 69
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 61
Pressure: 29.76 in
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 46 min
Through 11am: Mostly cloudy with increasing winds. Temperatures steady in the low 60s. Winds WNW at 15 to 20 mph.
Today: Overcast. High 69F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph.

I didn't get any farther with the apples than to move them to where I can get at them. I DID get things watered because I knew we weren't going to get any rain, and we didn't. I've also got all but the iris cut back. But only a few more of them to go. DH cleaned a half bucket of walnuts. They might be good this year. They sure weren't last year.

Sunfarm, I've already been praying. Leave that to us and concentrate on the things you need to do. My heart is with you!!

Pepper, I'm glad you weren't in the tornado area! Beautiful petunias!

I've been meaning to get a picture of the neighbor cat's mouth. The side view was what I got so far :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8101824

Praying for KySally today and in the days to come.

Pepper: beautiful petunias--I'm going to have to find some of those next year!
BP: we came up with the name "Rootbeer" for the cat because of the color of their fur--it was actually multi-colored but the the main color was the color of Rootbeer. We called the cat "Rooty" and then the daughter was Rooty, Jr., etc. LOL Speaking of cats, all I can say of your neighbor's cat is "Yike!".

Somebody needs to tell our weather that summer is gone!
# Today: Isolated thunderstorms this morning. Skies will become partly cloudy this afternoon. Hot. High 94F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Some clouds. Low 66F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Friday went to the groomers yesterday. Those bows lasted about 30 seconds after I took this photo! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 16, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8101831

Sunfarm, best wishes from Down Under, hope all goes well.

Kelli, I understand the US used to have one native parrot, but habitat destruction brought about its demise. I finally got some of my bushwalking (trekking) photos up. It's the first time I've put anything up on that site, just hope I didn't muck things up. The link:
http://cubits.org/bushwalking/articles/view/643/

Now I've started, there's lots of other walks for which I'll have to post photos.

Henryr10, liked all those butterflies, some great photography there.

Minimum overnight temperature went down to 23.7C (74.7F), and today the maximum was up to 36.8C (98.2F). That was at my place. The official weather station about 5 kilometres down the road from here recorded a maximum of 37.6C (99.7F). It continues to rain south of us, but nothing here. Although the weather bureau expects a little rain by the weekend. Fingers and toes crossed!

An unusual situation. With all the rain in the desert, I took this photo of a wasp with a spider. They were both in water and although the wasp had got the better of the spider, try as it may, it just couldn't get the spider out of the water. But it refused to give up.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8101843

Neat photo, Tropic! That wasp really wanted that spider! LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #8102236

What a great picture! Nice find, TB.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #8102283

Sally, many hugs and good thoughts headed your way.

Mau, Rootbeer is a great name. I'll have to keep that in mind as a future goldfish name. Friday looks sweet, but yeah, the bows are a little too much "Lord Fauntleroy". http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/clothing/boys/fauntleroy/index.html

[quote]reading about the phone prefixes reminds me of a Seinfeld episode[/quote]

Back when Seinfeld was on, I didn't watch t.v., so I never saw that one, but I've heard that where there are a lot of area codes in a smallish area, there is area code snobbery. For example, out here, 818 is uncool, and supposedly it is even used as an adjective, e.g., "You are so 818." I've never heard anyone use that in real life, but maybe they do in the 213 or 310 area code. BTW, I live in the 818 area code and I am "so 818" and not ashamed of it. ;-) As far as a series of numbers goes, I think 818 looks better than 310. 310 looks fat. (As for the not watching t.v., where I lived at the time, I couldn't get any t.v. reception without having cable and I didn't want to spend the money. That's all.)

Weather today should be seasonal - sunny and around 90F.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #8102358

That's interesting about Little Lord Fauntleroy, Kelli. I have heard the name all my life but never knew the history of it. Definitely no bows for Friday! LOL

Also, funny about the area codes. Arkansas for many years had just one area code but acquired two more area codes as the population has grown in certain areas (mainly NW AR). No snobbery here, LOL!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #8103051

Thanks for the comments on the Butterflies.
Mau got me back into them again.

I just got my first bifocals (nearsighted and don't wear glasses to read) and they are giving me fits on the 'puter.
I'm not a touch typist and that parts OK anyway.
The are Progressive (no line) and it's the transition area that's really going to take so getting used to. Plus my screen's wider than the focus area... errr... lol!
I think I'm going to get another pair for online and driving.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8103078

Ric, my mom has those types of bifocals and has had them for many years. She still isn't used to them and has to move her head around all the time to be able to use them. lol

Cloudy and coolish today. Rain in the area but mainly scattered sprinkles.

Don Juan in it's new home. It has already put out some new growth. The clematis I cut back is in front of it and it has come back with new growth as well.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8103147

Yep the reviews are great EXCEPT for computer work and TV.
My vision insurance kicks in Oct 1st... I'll get some non-bifocal ones then.
Otherwise they are pretty cool!

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #8103344

Kelli that's funny about the area codes! I lived in 209 and the people in San Jose 408 or Pleasanton 510 used to dog the 209 area code because they were 'valley' LOL!!!

Ric I'm nearsighted and still don't wear bifocals. I think I've decided that since I get motion sick I'll either get the lined bifocals when the time comes or just have two pairs of glasses. A gal I work with just got bifocal contacts, I need to ask her how those are doing.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #8103428

Crissy and Ric, I did the 2 pair of glasses thing for awhile. One to read and the other for everything else. Didn't work out so well. I have new lined bifocals now and they don't work for the computer so I just leave my old reading glasses on the desk. They work just fine for that.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 17, 2010
2:46 AM

Post #8103617

(((((((((((((((((Sallysun))))))))))))))))), thinking of you and sending prayers. Please, keep us posted.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #8103646

Adina: Sallysun's DD will be sending out emails periodically to those who requested updates on Sally. I asked to be put on her list so whenever I hear anything, I will keep you all posted. Haven't heard anything yet about how the surgery went yesterday.

All you bifocal wearers, how about trifocals?! I've been wearing them for years--no lines, no problems. True, you have to get accustomed to them at first but then it is a piece of cake! I don't have a bit of trouble with them at the computer, either.

# Today: Partly cloudy. Hot. High 91F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 64F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #8103756

Still 50* and the sun is starting to shine behind the houses.

Sunfarm, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I sure hope you are feeling ok!

Marsue, I love the names people come up with for their pets. I'm still laughing over the placement of the bows. Is that a guy thing? LOL!

Tropic, how neat to have hikers on completely different turfs :o) How smart of them to preserve the island from overuse. Wow, really nice photos and you really know your plants! I can't believe all the ferns growing there, some I recognize as being sold for houseplants around here. I think a 3' croc could take a pretty good bite. We just watched Croc Attacks with the Grandsons last night. Naturally they talked thru the whole thing :o) The bay and beaches are so beautiful. I like that there are few people to distract from the peace and quiet.

Scary wasp and spider!! Good picture tho!

Kelli, ROTFL over the snobbery. Yep, that was the Seinfield idea :o) I'm with you on not caring and I respect those who do not TV all day.

We also have had our county divided into more area codes. Mine stayed the same. I was upset when they decided we had to dial more than 4 numbers :o)

Ric, you're doing a good thing by documenting the butterfliesflies. Welcome to the age of bifocals. I'm the opposite and it isn't any better. I have to tip my head back some to read.

Pepper, Don Juan is going to be a beautiful bush next year. I can't wait to see it bloom! Love the big blue butterfly!

Marsue, Thank you for offering to keep us all updated on Sally Sun. I'm feeling for her right now. I love sedums. MY neighbor decided to start getting all colors and has a beautiful red one. I just have Autumn Joy, Lynda Wyndsor, Purple Emperor and a pinkish no name.

I haven't identified this one yet.

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2010

Post #8103865

Thanks you Mau! I hope her surgery went well.

I'm not in bifocals yet and I hope it's going to be a long time before that happens! I do think I'm staring menopause about 10 years too early.

That's a great pic Tropic! That wasp does look nasty, I didn't know they floated on top of the water! Yikes!!

I have a lot of work to do again today, plus today is my clean my office day! Woo Hoo!!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 17, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8104170

DH had those progressive glasses and he didn't like them. I think he went back to the traditional bifocals with his last pair. I can see (or can't see, ha, ha) that I am going to need bifocals soon. The tiny print like is getting tough. In the morning, it is kind of hard to read the newspaper. (Later in the day is o.k.) I have never had good eyes. I have needed glasses all of my life but refused to wear them until I was in high school.

Tropic, neat spider picture and nice article. How much does a person really need to watch out for crocodiles? Out here, there sometimes are trailhead signs to warn you of mountain lions or rattlesnakes, but in 23 years I have never seen a mountain lion and I see maybe one rattlesnake a year. The things they show us on t.v. make it sound like Australia is dangerous, with crocodiles, stonefish, box jellyfish, and funnelweb spiders.

Crissy, for the past 5+ years I thought I was maybe starting menopause but after I gave up sugar and cut way back on the "good" carbs, the night sweats and junk like that went away. BTW, I'm "valley", too, just a different valley.

BP, how would you like having to dial 11 numbers every time you call? They have overlaid the 818 area code with 747. What that means is if you live in the old 818 region, you might have area code 818 or you might have 747. The way this works out is that if I call any number, I have to use the area code, even if I am calling another 818 number. (I hardly make any calls, so it is no big deal.) BTW, shouldn't 747 be a Seattle area code? Get it?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #8104276

Sunny, Clear, Warm, Bright - getting ready for the wife's family reunion here next weekend - tired @ 1:45 pm - somebody log that one please.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #8104635

This is the update that Sally's daughter, Linda, sent out today:
"She had surgery yesterday afternoon and all went well. Just prior to the surgery she was told that he was not going to do the complete hip replacement and did not. From what I understand a pin was inserted in the femur with a ball on top to replace the hip portion that fits in the socket which will stabilize the area weakened by the tumor. This was much less invasive and she has 2 or 3 small incisions and so hopefully the surgical healing time will be much shorter. In fact this morning when I spoke to her she said the hospital considers this an outpatient procedure, had her use the walker this morning and is discharging her as we speak. What we don't know is if she is coming home or going to a rehab center and we don't know what the next step in treatment will be, but she may well be back here to let you know herself!
Thanks for the good thoughts and well wishes."
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8104966

Back into mid 80s and sunny most of the day.

Passionvine taking off.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8105561

64F
High 66
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 59
Pressure: 30.05 in
Through 12pm: A period of showers and thunderstorms between 7am and 9am. Cloudy with temperatures steady near the mid 60s. W winds shifting to N at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 85%.
Today: Scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. High 66F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Chrissy, 48 - 49 for me and menopause. I wasn't too unhappy to have no more periods. Yes, a wasp can float. The Grandkids had one that would land and take off from the swimmong pool. I need a ''clean my desk drawers'' day.

Kelli, you got that right about TV showing Austrailia as a dangerous place :o) No! I would not like 11 numbers. OK, I'm dense. I don't think I get it.

Dyson, I was wondering if you were still on the hiking trail :o) The reunion sounds like a good time with good food! Enjoy! Have a nap. Tired doesn't know what time it is.

Marsue, great update on Sunfarm!! I am so happy for her!

Pepper, love the Passion Vine trellis!

It keeps thundering and has been since 5:30 am, but we've had nothing but sprinkles.

Shugs is being modest. His widest could eat my shoe.

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #8105665

LOL I know it Kelli! Gotta love us Valley Girls!! I've been dieting since May 1st and have cut back on everything, including how much I eat in a meal and what a difference that makes! I'm down 15lbs since May 1st Woo Hoo!!

Great to hear the news about Sally!!

We're back in the mid 90's again, sort of humid but not bad, sunny and all the summertime glory.

I have about 10 years before I start menopause, or should have about 10 years anyway. I won't be too upset about not having periods either, just hope I don't turn into a grump.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8105910

I'm sure all the gents around here are really enjoying this discussion of menopause! ROFLOL It was the best (well, almost) the best thing that ever happened to my body!
Crissy: congrats on the weight loss!
Dyson: enjoy the family reunion!
BP: Shug's yawn is either hilariously funny or frightening--depending on how you look at it! LOL

Still unseasonably hot here--they are saying we could very well set a new record today! :o(

DGD performing in the flag line at half time last night: (yes, her hair is naturally that blonde--all the time)

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #8106098

Chrissy, I think you will be a grump and it will come out at the worst time :o) I've managed to drop 10# the same way. Eat right, less and exercise!

Marsue, they signed on for all types of conversations :o) and we outnumber them! Shugs is hilarious! He'll do it a few times and then flops back and forth like a fish, all excited about being petted.

I ove that picture! She's a doll!

I was all set to go outside and now it's sprinkling. I wish it would just rain or get off the pot!

A panel from DH's crib. It's now a wall, covering access to the water heater that ended up behind a closet when we built on.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #8106253

I remember those days of the cribs with the cute figures on them. I probably had one myself.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #8106468

Was really humid today though the temps were only in the high 70s to mid 80s. Now we have storms rolling thru. Had power flash with the lightning at one point. Was kinda freaky seeing them keep time together. lol. Now at the tail end of a storm.

Ironweed blooms.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8106489

Marsue, DH wondered if there was a story behind the picture.

Pepper, that does sound freaky. I was disappointed in the bit of rain we had. I'm glad I went ahead and watered the astilbe, phlox and asters. Love the ironweed!

60* and since I didn't go out because of a little afternoon rain, I made a tomato pie.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #8106875

BP try Lunate Zale Moth for you picture.

Good news on the hip surgery Thanks for the update!

Sunny and a bit smoggy today.
Still editing the butterfly pics.
I'm WAY behind but that's what the winter is for... lol!

I'm up to 33 different ones posted.
Probably have 45 total...

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 19, 2010
2:35 AM

Post #8106999

Ric, those pics are amazing! Thanks for sharing! I hope you can accustom with your bifocals soon.
Mau, Friday is too cute with those bows! But he's a boy, now onder he didn't want them on!LOL Thanks for updating about Sally. I hope she gets here and posts soon. Your DGD is such a beautiful girl!
Sallysun keeping you in my prayers , hoping for a quick healing.
SallyBP, that cat is so funny, what teeth!LOL Cool pic of the pelicans! Yes, Andreea needs the Romanian BC for Nicholas if she will come in Romania with him.
Kelli, I wish I'd known before about the carbs and sugar! I went on through all the nights sweats, but now they're almost gone...uh!
Crissy, take Kelli's advice and hope you'll feel better.
Pepper, beautiful blooms!
I have a mole in my garden and it's making me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She digs and digs all night, in different places, mostly in the lawn...arrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I am trying to find the best method to get rid of her, but it seems none is so effiecient. We're thinking of buying an ultrasound thing , maybe it'll be of any good.
4 more days and I'm off to my DGS!!!! We went yesterday in the city and bought him the bracelet his mom wanted with his name on it. I can't understand this fashion for babies!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #8107074

51 with a high of 68
Past 24-hr: Precip: 0.60 in (est.)
Humidity: 95%
Pressure:3 0.16 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 18 min
Through 11am: Rain will come to an end by mid-morning. Cloudy with temperatures rising towards the upper 50s. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.
Today: Scattered showers and thunderstorms Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Thanks Ric, that sounds like a pretty neat name. My ''Eyewitness" Butterflies and Moth Book doesn't even have it, but they had Tropic's Big Greasy. ''Princeton Field Guide of Caterpillars of Eastern North America'' has Zales, but not my moth. I'll have to Google. I'll get back to your link later. Today is designated computer day! I love how we're all using winter already ;o)

Adina, it's funny how much paper-work a little one needs these days. It will be worth the money just to have them. It's too bad the neighbor's cat wouldn't come back. That's the best mole catcher! Some dogs will dig them out too. An easier fix than the tunnels. DH pushes down a tunnel and waits with a pitchfork. He's gotten two that way. Luckily it's not a problem for us, but the Churchyard across the road from our block has plenty.

My DD's Grandma bought her a ring she never wore, but it is adorable! Awww, that is so neat!! They'll love it! It's getting exciting to know you will get to see your family again!!

Here's the recipe for Tomato pie, but it can be tweaked anyway you want.

Tomato pie is usually made with green tomatoes with a hint of pink, like for fried green tomatoes, but I use half red or even ripe too. Instead of brushing the crust with cream and baking for 5 minutes, I put a layer of cheese on the bottom, then layer 4 cups of de-seeded sliced tomatoes, basil or oregano, and one, thin sliced onion. Top with Mayo or Miracle Whip mixed with chese on top. I also mixed in leftover cottage cheese. Bake 350 for a good 45 minutes. Good hot and cold. Mozzerella is a lesser evil for fat and is the usual cheese, but I also do a bit of parmesan and cheddar. Personal taste.

It's raining. Around 3:30 am we had a bright flash of lightning and a crack of thunder! Then I could hear the rain. Sometimes the web page has an accurate amount of rain we got and sometimes not. It might be close this time.

Dad grew this volunteer squash. I think it's a throwback to the ''new'' Acorn, Carnival or Sweet Potato varieties. There are also rounder one's, same coloring. I baked it at 325 for an hour and a half because I wasn't going to cut off a finger trying the halve it, and still had to bang the knife thru it. It tastes good tho, it's not a gourd.

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8107148

I haven't been excersizing, that's what's weird. I ate bad Friday though and I haven't weighed since! LOL I usually weigh every day.

What a rotten cat with that huge yawn!! Tiga let out a loud long meow the other day as she yawned while waiting for food, it was quite comical. She had a dr appt yesterday for a physical and shots so she's all lethargic for a couple of days. We saw a different vet and I hate it when that happens, she doesn't know the history like Dr. Shivley does and she didn't know the answers to half my questions because of it. I think from now on I'm going to ask if Dr. Shivley is working and only go in when I can see him.

Mau her hair is blond! Wow lucky girl!

We're going to be 95* today with a heat index of 98*, and sunny. Like Mau said, we're about 10 degrees too hot for this time of year. I was thinking that it's always cool by my birthday, but I figure this year it'll still be in the mid 90's.

Oh Mau, and to answer your question from a long time ago, as of last Thursday we are 8.75" below normal on rainfall, so it's just getting worse.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #8107152

I just lost my entire post GRRRRR! Here goes again:
Sunfarm's daughter sent out an email this morning stating that Sally is still in the hospital and they still don't know if she will be going home or going to a rehab. facility. Sally has been up using a walker and is doing well with it. That's all I know right now.
Pepper: pretty blooms!
Ric: I'll check out your link when I finish here to see what you have added to it.
BP: I don't have a clue if there is a story behind the figures on the baby bed. I think they used decals that you had to wet and then paste on the end of the bed. Once on there it was almost impossible to get them off unless you sanded them off. I think they were just figures that were popular back in the day. The tomato pie recipe sounds good. A couple of years ago Terry, an admin. here on DG, posted a recipe for "Cheesy Tomato Casserole". It was made with canned tomatoes (diced), onions, cracker crumbs, eggs, and grated cheese and was it delicious. My late DH, Buddy, loved it and I did, too, but I don't make it anymore just for myself. That squash looks like a cross between zucchini and yellow squash. LOL
Adina: I'm glad you were able to get the baby bracelet that your DD wanted. Back in the 1960's it was the fashion for grandmothers to wear bracelets that had charms on them representing their grandchildren. The charms were heads (in profile) of either a boy or a girl with the name and birthdate of the child engraved on them. My mother had one of those bracelets with charms representing her 7 grandchildren. Back in the 90's I had a necklace with little figures representing my grandchildren. At the time I had 6 grandchildren- 3 girls, 3 boys. The necklace was sterling silver except for the stones in each figure. The stones represented the birth month of each child. I took a picture of it for you.

Hot with an abundance of sunshine. I watered the flowerbeds well on Friday and Saturday. We need some more rain in my area.

Crissy: we crossed. Thanks for the update on the rainfall deficit.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2010 7:30 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #8107209

Chrissy, throw in a walk and see a difference in how you feel! I can just hear Tiga, that is so funny! I agree, stick with the usual Dr.

Marsue, thanks. We weren't sure if the characters were telling a story, but I thnk you're right about the decals. I love the bracelet!! The cassreole does sound good!

I'm glad Sunfarm is still doing well in spite of still being in the hospital. I really hope she gets to go home.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #8107595

BP, the crib panel is neat. I think that is supposed to be the Liberty Bell. It looks like the bears have tricorn hats. My crib was plain. I know that because my brother used the same one 12 years later. I don't know what ever happened to it. I think it is illegal to sell cribs like that (with bars) nowdays.

Crissy, congratulations on losing the weight. I'd like to lose about 80lbs. Apparently I don't get enough exercise and I probably don't eat enough vegetables. To tell you the truth, I find vegetables to be boring.

Adina, if I had a baby, I think I'd be afraid that he/she would work loose the bracelet and swallow it.

Nuthin' new in the weather department

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 19, 2010
86 F
Clear
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 4 mph from the East

This message was edited Sep 19, 2010 1:25 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #8108378

That was my first thought too Kelli.
Doesn't look baby safe...whatever that means...lol!

I'm still playing w/ the photos.
Thanks Again for ALL the positive response on here and Facebook.
It will be months I think before I'm done.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #8108532

Bad storms rolled thru last night. Tennis ball sized hail in the main KC metro. Just pea sized here. Lots of lightning and thunder. I'm glad I unplugged my computer when I heard it start up again.

Today it was hot and humid again. Felt like the beginning of summer almost. Tomorrow will be worse at 90 degrees.

Anyone know what this butterfly is? It was visiting on Friday. Never seen it before.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #8109095

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1366&chosen_state=29*Missouri

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #8109162

60 and a big difference in the temp compared to the last few days. We'll have a high of 83 and I'm ready for it to warm up!

Kelli, I vaguely remember something on my crib and all 4 of us used it. I think it's most likely stored in the quonset hut since Dad had the attic insulated and everything was brought down and not put back up. Plus, Dad keeps everything that might have some goody left in it :o) A child of the Depresssion.

Ric, thank you much for identifing my moth! I would have never found it. Only one Googled picture was almost like mine. I think I have a male. (I finally made it to Facebook yesterday to comment on pictures.)

Pepper, those are some storms, especially with the hail.

It's Monday and I have no idea what is in store for the day :o)

Someone ate my pepper and it wasn't a grasshopper from the size of the pellets under the plant :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2010

Post #8109319

LOL BP do you know what I would give for a high of 83*? You can have my 100* and I'll take your 83*, does that sound good?

High of 98, abundant sunshine again, same ole same ole.

My mom broke her foot, along with all of her other problems she's got. Iye yey yey.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 20, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8109547

Morning everyone! I have a great news : I just killed the mole! Sorry if this shocks you, but I'm glad I did! She was just digging in the lawn when I saw it moving ...I'll spare you of the morbid details.
I made 2 pin wheels yesterday, like one of our DG friends suggested, but the rain last night ruined them. I made them of paper.
I sure hope we don't have another mole. DH just called and ordered 2 of those ultrasound machines for chasing away the moles. I guess we'll still need them afterall. I'll post a picture of the dead mole, I hope it's not too shocking!

Crissy, sorry about your mom's leg! I hope she isn't in too much pain.
Pepper, what scary hail! I saw on TV they had so much hail in Spain somewhere that they had to get it with buldozers...grrr!
SallyBP, thanks for posting the recipe of the tomato pie and for your good words. A ring must be so cute for such a small baby! I'm excited about our trip ...3 more days to go, whoohoooo!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your experience with the moles.
Mau, thanks for posting your bracelet for me, it's beautiful! I guess it made you feel like you had all your grandkids with you, isn't it?
Kelli, me too! But I don't think Nicholas will wear that bracelet for too long, if ever! Anyway, if that will happen while I'll be there, I'll be watching!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #8109606

Chrissy, ROTFL!!! 100* DID sound pretty good after the last two cold mornings! Oh no! Poor Mom and you. How bad is it?

Adina, ROTFL over the morbid details. I'm really glad you were able to get her! Especially since you will be gone. She would have passed under a lot of roots to eat all your earthworms and grubs.

Nicholas will have to pose with the bracelet, then I imagine it would be put away as a keepsake. That's where DD's ring went. She never really wore it and it was adorable!

Dh brought his dead mole in on the fork so I could feel how soft the fur is. It's a luxurious as a mink coat, and yes I have one of those :o) It was an old Aunt's. I just got it out of the closet last week because it was falling apart. It's now lining a box and tucked into the lawn shed for any outdoor cat to snuggle into this winter.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #8109850

It's the bone that connects your little toe to your ankle. It's broken just below the joint that connects it to the little toe, just below the joint that connects it to the ankle, and it's split lengthwise down the middle.

YAY At least you got one mole! I hope there's no more, and if there is, get them before you leave!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8110084

No further word yet on Sally. They were supposed to tell them something today about whether she would be going home or to a rehab facility.

Adina: glad you got the mole! Have a good time with Nicholas!
Crissy, OUCH for your mom--are they able to set a break like that? I know that with broken toes they don't set them--just leave them to heal on their own.
Here's the link for that Cheesy Tomato Casserole for anyone who is interested. I used the diced tomatoes, not the whole ones.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1168048&package_id=407146

As Crissy said, same ole, same ole on the weather and the temps. Unseasonably hot!

Today is my DGD's 17th birthday--where did the time go? Seems like yesterday when she was just three!

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 21, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #8111320

Mau, what a gorgeous little girl! I see a resemblance to her grandma! Happy Birthday for her!
Sally, yes it's soft, but I didn't touch her, I felt so sorry for her...but this morning I was happy not finding any other digging!LOL
Crissy, sounds painful! I hope it heals quickly. Thanks for the advice, I won't like another mole in my garden while we're gone...I can almost imagine the disaster,grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Very lovely day here today, sunny, 55F, no wind, clear sky. Beautiful fall day!
2 more days to go before I leave !!!!!!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #8111438

70 and absolutely beautiful at 6:45 am. Soft breezes all night, all doors and windows open, it couldn't be more perfect. Too bad it's not like this all the time. We have 50% chance of rain with a high of 87

Oh Chrissy, that sounds really painful. How is she doing?

Marsue, I'm with Adina!

Adina, it is a sorry thing to do. Trouble is, they cost you money by uprooting plants in search of a meal. I'll bet you are packed except for the last minute things :o)

After procrastinationg for two weeks, DH helped me I peel two buckets of the neighbor's apples and I canned sauce. But... before we got started, I had to wash them. That done, I decided we should look at his friend's trees and see if they were ready. So, off we went. They were, and I got 1&1/2 buckets from his trees for pies and crisps. Then we came home and got to work. So, I still have apples in the garage :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #8111594

BP: I love applesauce for breakfast with toast! Yummmy! especially if it is homemade applesauce!!

Sally Sun is home again. She said that she is weak but it was good to sleep in her own bed last night. She is still waiting for details on what home health services have been arranged for her and on what her oncologist has planned for her. She thanks everyone for their thoughts and concerns for her.

Our weather is still unseasonably hot:
# Today: Sunny to partly cloudy. Hot. High near 95F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.
# Tonight: A few passing clouds, otherwise generally clear. Low near 70F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

BP and Adina, thanks for your remarks about my DGD. Here she is modeling the fedora I gave her while holding up the necklace which was a part of her gift, too.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2010 7:44 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8111859

Marsue, thanks for the update on Sally Sun! Maybe she'll feel like popping in one of these days. I love her picture and she looks great in the hat. You have a good sense and good taste in gifts!

84* It's warming up here. I have the house closed up and the fan going. We took all access to the air conditioners away :o)

DH has been picking up walnuts to crack. They are a bit green, so need to cure over winter. Both our Mom's were great for picking out nuts. My Mom enjoyed getting hickory nuts. Try and find any now :o(
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8111878

I'm so glad Sally is HOME!!

mmmmm walnuts!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 21, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #8112257

Thanks for the report on Sally.

It was cloudy this morning and didn't clear up until noon.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on September 21, 2010
65 F
Haze
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 55 F
Wind: 5 mph Variable

I had forgotten about this. This is my baby bracelet. The date on it suggests that I got it for my first birthday. It has kind of a hinge on it to open and close it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8112868

Abnormally hot. Rain and storms up north.

Thanks ric for the link identifying it!!

Wild stand of Rudibeckia.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8112919

Dark, 73

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #8113565

64F with a high of 84. We have another chance of rain today. 7/10'' rain in the guage :o)

Yesterday afternoon, I was finally working on transplanting when I noticed the sky in the west looking pretty blue-grey. I came in to find out rain and wind was close. I had just enough time to tip chairs and put tools away. We were getting the wind, but no hail. Then we got a good rain and it lingered off and on till about 8:00 pm or so.

Awwww Kelli, that is precious!!

Pepper, we have so many rudbeckias in every ditch, but I never get tired of seeing them. Thank goodness they don't cut the ditches anymore and are actually planting grasses and flowers in them!

Dyson, already dark. Where did summer go?
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 22, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #8113766

Boy, there's a lot to catch up on! Need to call in more often. On the issue of dangerous animals, it's true that we have a good share of them here. Of course, the most dangerous one that takes most lives is humans. But people seem more distressed about wild animals being the cause of death. In crocodile country, though, you have to do the right thing. It's like crossing roads. There's ways you go about it safely, there's things you should never do. I've so many croc stories, too many to relate here. The photo below is of "Moline", a 4.3 metre (14.1 feet) male that we put a satellite tracker on (the white thing on the back of its neck). He was darted (drugged) to get him out of the trap, tied up, and the cover over his eyes stops him from reacting to movement around him.

Good to hear Sunfarm's progress is positive. Looking forward to more news.

The weather here's still a bit odd for this time of year. Last weekend we had some rain, 5.8 millimetres (0.23 inches) at my place. The official weather station 5 kms from home got 17 mm (0.67 inches), and a friend about 15 kms away got 45.5 mm (1.79 inches). I'm envious! Then, the next few days a high pressure to the south directed strong dry winds at us which dried everything out again.

Overnight minimum temperature was 21.6C (70.9F) and the maximum today was 38.5C (101.3F).

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 22, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #8113841

Kelli, what beautiful bracelet! Thanks for posting it. It's nice you saved it since your first BD.
SallyBP, you're wrong, I didn't pack anything!LOL I need to do that, but had so much to do. Today I finally took Nicholas' Romanian birth certificate...uh, I was afraid it wouldn't be ready in time!
Pepper, love those rudbeckia. I have some budding, the ones with larger flowers.
Mau, thanks for the report on Sallysun . I'm happy to hear she is at home.

Nice sunny weather today, 60F, no clouds. Andreea called and said she ordered a large cake for the baptism lunch, with all kind of fruits.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8113949

Kelli that's a nice bracelet! How sweet, and look how small it is, it's amazing to me how we start out that small.

Adina that's a gorgeous picture. mmmmmmmmm cake mmmmmmmmmm lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8114088

I have finally caught up on everything here. I've been away from it for far too long.

75.0 F with 79 for the high and 40% chance of rain.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 50 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.60 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 78 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Pollen: 4.90 out of 12
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Tropic, I have never known anyone who does that. I couldn't make myself get that close. LOL He's a big one, alright.

This belongs to my niece, Jean.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8114179

Tropic, he's magnificent! Now what sort of trap did you get him into in the first place? What year was it and is he still tracked?

You are a bit warm for my taste. My Dad and I were just talking this morning how we used to get rain and then the wind would dry it up the next day. It hasn't done that for a few years now.

Adina, laughing! I understand the busy! You'll get there regardless :o) Andreea is geting things ready on her end. I'll bet Nicholas senses her happiness and will understand when you hug and kiss him hello! What a beautiful sunrise!

Celia, you have and I've missed you! That is the cutest toy!!

It's cool and wet, but the sun keeps trying to come out. We're at 74*.

Ric, I went thru two books and cannot find the name of this caterpillar yet. I rescued him from Dad's place. He was on the tractor wheel and Dad had the tractor in the barn painting it. I set him on the Joe Pye Weed and he seemed to prefer it over the Ironweed. I feel I should know what it is.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #8114253

Sure is nice to be back in your own bed (even if you can't roll over and will regret it if you try) and not having someone stick needles in you every couple of hours. I look and feel like a pincushion. I am very weak but have a week to heal and gain strength before doctor appts next Wednesday. I may be starting radiation that day. Probably won;t post much in coming days; want to let you know I appreciat the hugs, prayers and good wishes.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #8114257

More coming from Utah!!!!! (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #8114277

(((((SUNFARM))))) We're here for you and praying for the best!! I am so glad you are home and don't have to go anywhere till next Wednesday.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #8114298

And more coming from Arkansas!!

And how did I miss that pic of that 'gator! It's actually a croc but in Southern AR and Louisiana everything is a 'gator. lol Other than the width of the nose I don't know what the difference between the two are.

BP you should post that cat in the Insect ID forum.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #8114739

1728 hr the storm just ended. I went out on the front porch and it looked dim. Twenty minutes earlier when I entered the apartment it was sunny and bright, then I heard the thunder. I sat down at the table and opened a fresh beer as the wind picked up. The sound of Black Walnuts hitting the porch roof competed with the thunder, as the storm drew near, the sound of the plastic still protecting the north eight foot section of the porch got my attention and I noticed that the plastic over the shed beyond needed attention as it has ripped loose from the Duct tape holding it in place. As expected when the wind died back down, the thunder drew nearer, and a few flashes of lightning were visible as the rain started to fall.

I do enjoy a good storm if I can be close to it, and still be protected from it. The front porch provides the perfect protection. You are in it but still dry, thanks to leaving that plastic up in the spring.

It will be replaced this winter when I enclose the rest of the porch. And will remain.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #8114964

Dyson, you summed up the storm perfectly. I have a screened porch that faces ESE and the front open porch faces WNW. I can be in the storm on either one, and I do. Black walnuts in the front and back yard. They don't miss :o)

Ric, I found my caterpillar. It's a Smartweed Caterpillar Acronicta oblinita. Dad has a lot of smartweed in the pasture.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8115131

Low 80s for a high. Got some more rain overnight and it was misting for a bit this morning too. Then the sun came out and shot the humidity and heat up again. Not normal weather for this time of the year. lol

Goldenrod blooming across the street. The clumps of mud are from when they had to dig out a drain pipe and they didn't smooth it out. So now the road floods there because the water can't get into the ditch. All the roads are like that around here nowadays.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8115149

A good storm cannot be described, you live with it as you would with another person. If that makes any sense you probably need to get a real life as much as I.

I truly cherish each storm that I am able to witness, but someone who has lived through the worst will probably disagree with me. So Be It. Many "hurricane" parties have left me numb to that type of criticism.

You have to go out - You don't have to come back, but you have to go out,

When you actually find those that are lost and have given up, it actually makes all the crap worthwhile. When the seas are rough, and you feel like you will not get back, that is when you are need most, Suck it up, with your next breath, Do what has to be done.

Way too many "adult" beverages - care to all -

Best Regards - dyson

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #8115915

70F and cool, Moon-bright all night! I tossed and turned. We have another chance of rain and wind today with a high of 86

Adina, today you are on your way. SAFE TRIP!! Hug Nicholas for me. If you hug him for everyone, Cici won't get to hold him :o)

Sally Sun, (((HUGS))) and hope for a sunny sky for you to bask in.

Pepper, it makes you wonder where all the people went who built the roads in the first place. That's a poor job, and not likely to get fixed.

Ah Dyson, I still stand out in the wind preceeding the storms and revel in the chaos. We've sat on the open porch watching lightning till we noticed one afternoon that it was coming in at an angle it usually doesn't. A few minutes after we decided to come in and watch, it hit our elm tree by the sidewalk. I don't trust the lightning anymore. I still love the wind even tho we had straight line winds and a small tornado go thru town. It's nature and I cherish each day.

Hurricanes I've never experienced, but I think they would send a lot of energy thru me. It sounds like quite an experience.

Sometimes the sky looks like the sea, with rolling surfs.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8115991

Sunfarm: hugs from this part of Arkansas, too. So good to see you posting!
Celia: glad to have you back among us!
Dyson: I think that is the most you have "talked" the entire three years that I have been a part of DG! LOL Applauding here: "More, more!!!"

waving to the rest of you~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Same ole, same ole, weather wise--supposed to get a bit of a break by the end of the week--promises, promises.
# Today: Mostly sunny. Hot. High 94F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph.
# Tonight: A few clouds. Low 71F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8116091

Great storm story Dyson!!
That moon was bright! The planets were in a line the other night and of course I didn't hear it on the local news or anywhere else until after the fact. ggrrrrrr

They have us with 90* temps today and tomorrow, then the 15 day forecast has us in the high 70's to mid 80's for 15 days. Now we know how that can all change, but it sure does sound good!! The local news said last night that yesterday was the 110th day we have been over 90*. That's insane.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #8116196

Rain, rain, rain.
Unofficial reports, 7.95" to 9.5" & still raining.
Lots of flooded fields, roads under water, & flooded basements.
We are lucky to live on a hill. Garden is well under water. Not much left there anyhow.
Off to work in a nice dry house.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #8116867

Our road to the south.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2010

Post #8116873

Our garden. Close is plastic not water. Our garden is this side of the corn field. The creek is right in front of the corn. Now it's in our garden.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8116878

Too bad some of that rain couldn't have found it's way down to our area! We could use some of it!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #8116889

Here are the entertainers at KY RU last week.
Keith, Al, & Lisa.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8116891

Lisa's little 2 legged dog.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #8117885

60 and 4/10'' of gentle overnight rain. I'm glad I mowed! We have a high of 68 and windy. Fall is here folks!

Marsue, I hope you get your break. Hot is hot and it's been going on too long!

Chrissy, I didn't now about the planets either! I think we were cloudy anyway :o( Insanity is NOT good!

Bernie, I was thinking about you and wondering if the market was about over. You got a lot more rain than us. At least it's flooded at the end of the season! I'll bet it was nice to sit and listen to them. Awww, sweet dog!

Cyber pie, there's always enough for everyone and it was good!

Apple!

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #8117896

Live entertainment! We don't have that at our RU's. Wait, I take that back. When we go to Terrye's(tryliv) and Ray's in Mississippi, we do have a line dancing demonstration. Ray and Terrye have a large building that they rent out for parties, etc., and they also give line dancing lessons.
Bernie: the little "two-legged dog" is a cutie!

Today is supposed to be our last day for awhile where the temp will reach 90F. Starting tomorrow, the temps will be cooler--down in the 80's and then next week we will be in the 70's for a high all week. Hooray! 40% chance of rain tonight and early tomorrow.

I think this is a helianthus(some type of sunflower). It was given to me by Genna-one of our Mid-South DGers--but the tag has faded.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #8117903

We crossed, BP. Apple pie---yummy!!! :o))

close-up of the helianthus

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #8118079

I'll have a piece of that apple pie please! YUMMMMM!!! Thanks for sharing BP!!!

Nice pics everyone!!

YES no more 90* temps, hopefully!! It looked like on the news they're expecting it to start cooling off, finally, AND we have rain coming today!!! Woooo Hoooooooooooooooo!!

Mau we are 10% below normal on rainfall so far this year. LOL Last year at this time we were 120% above normal on rainfall.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 24, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #8118321

Bernie, was your garden spoiled by the water or have you harvested all of that area? (Whenever I see gladiolus, I think of you.) How 'bout them Twins, hey?

Last year we changed planes in Minneapolis and I got myself a MN tee-shirt. I liked the color (pink) and they had my size, and it was on sale for something like $9. You can't beat that, even if my only MN experience was the airport. Twice now when I was wearing it, people thought I was from MN. Why is that? You don't wear shirts from where you are from (unless it is a sports team). You wear shirts from places you visit. BTW, MN did look nice from the air.

It is going to be blistering hot here this weekend (over 100F), and when that happens, everyone outside of the southwest will be not-hot, so enjoy your pleasant weekend. It's the least I can do for you all. ;-)

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #8118492

Thanks, Kelli! All cool air is gratefully accepted! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #8118551

And cyber pie has no calories! :o)

Marsue, you can't go wrong with Helianthus. My neighbor gave me doubles, but the seedlings all reverted to singles. They are still nice anyway!

Chrissy, I hope it cools of for you!

Kelli, you are right about souvenir shirts and man, what a price! You are beyond generous, holding all the hot air!

I decided to hang clothes out with Kelli's nice, windy, cool day.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #8118562

We have a cold front coming through this afternoon, but the rain is once again fizzling as soon as it gets here!

Kelli I don't know, I was talking to someone about 6 months ago and they asked me where I was from, but before I could answer they said, "Wait! Let me guess... you don't have a southern accent, but you do sound like your frrooommm... the north, like Wisconsin or Minnesota, I think your from Wisconsin." LOL!! I about choked, I told him I'm from central California.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 24, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8119404

Well, we picked Broccoli by wading into the running water. Sure had lots of mud in it!
Water went down enough so we found some of the squash. Most are still under water. Lots of dirt moved around, especially from the potato patch where we had dug the potatoes out. That loose soil moved easily.
DD town was the winner, 13.8" of rain. Governor stopped there at noon, so now the town & the people will get some state help. Ever house in town had flooded basements. Sewage system is closed down for now, so they brought in portapotties. Can't use the city water either. DD & family are staying with us for time being.
Tomorrow they are going to clean out the basement. They can put things on the curb & it will be hauled away. First thing out is their carpet. Then she said only a painted floor from now on!
Almost all the towns in southern MN are in the same shape, some worse than others.

Sunny & windy today. 64
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8119418

I knew the planets were gonna be lined up but we had some storms come in and I was in KS for a few hours visiting my grandpa in the hospital. He has staph infection in one knee and they are trying to keep up with it and eventually get rid of it.

Coolish today. Highs in the low 70s with a nice breeze. Mostly sunny.

My garden is being invaded by tomato seedlings again. I will have to lay down newspaper so that I have a clean slate next year.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #8119845

51* and chillier! We have a 50% chance of rain with a high of 58* Tonight it will dip down to 44*

Chrissy, giggling over the accent. Don't you love it when people say "wait, let me guess?"

Oh Bernie, can you get them clean enough to eat them? I can't even imagine 13'' of rain. I feel for her. I feel for everyone trying to clean up their messes.

Pepper, I hope they can get Grandpa's infection cleared up. That's scary! I have those same tomato seedlings! I'll dump manure on them and turn them under.

Why is it, I'm the only one who can find the camera? Grandson #2 was 4 yesterday. Cake and ice cream today :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #8120522

High maybe in the low 70s today and clouds and rain moving in.

Going to a drag queen show tonight so will be having lots of fun!! Pics to come in the next few days hopefully. LOL

My younger cat fast asleep. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8120671

Just back from Truman. Wouldn't believe the big piles of wet stuff on the curbs. It's going to be many truckloads.
Fema is supposed to help somehow.

Rained a bit at market. Pretty good day considering our amount of produce is slowing fast.

Sun now 65.
Warmer tomorrow.

I am making trim for outside the windows so we can finish siding. Going to tryt & complete outside of the house now & the rest of the inside after that. It's only been about 7 years, but it is pay as we go around here. NO LOANS!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #8120722

That's the way to go - no loans.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on September 25, 2010
104 F
Clear
Humidity: 16%
Dew Point: 50 F
Wind: 9 mph from the South
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 6 out of 16
Pollen: 7.10 out of 12

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #8121473

48* and Dyson Dark. I want warm weather back! It rained on the way, during and on the way home from DGS's party. It rained on the way, during and on the way home from a 70th b'day party for an old friend. I can't wait to see how much we got.

Pepper, I love drag queens. The pictures should be interesting! Awww, adorable baby!

Bernie, I can and can't imagine the mess. The cooler weather brings an urgency to finish things. No loans here! We saved plywood and doors and whatever else, all summer and winter before we built on in 1981. DH was able to buy some of the things from work, when they remodeled. Bit by bit I helped carry plywood in, and back out, when we got started. In 1986, we had a small load of plywood delivered. They only sent one guy to unload. He wasn't very happy to find just me to help. I tried two pieces at a time and it was too much. It wasn't my fault. He could have done it himself :o)

A picture while Jackie isn't looking.

Don't sit there!

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #8121559

Bernie, so sorry about all the flooding and resulting messes up your way. Cleaning up after something like that can be frustrating but it will all get done, eventually. Your DD is smart to say only painted floors from here on out--much better than soggy carpet! Good luck with Fema helping out :o~
Pepper: sure hope they are able to get rid of your grampa's staph infection--that can be some nasty stuff!
Bernie: no loans here either, except for my car. No credit cards, either (well, one gasoline credit card for traveling). Just me, my debit card and I. If I can't pay for it on the spot, I don't buy it.

# Today: Cloudy with a few showers. High 71F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low around 50F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 26, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #8121584

Sunny & cool. Around 40.

My last car loan was payed off in 1967.
I won't pay those exorbitant prices for a new car. Our present car is a 99 Buick. Paid $3500 in July of 2008. Other than oil changes, only expense were 4 new tires this summer.
We have put 40,000 miles on it including 3 trips to KY RU.
My 2 trucks are a 98 Dodge T. Bought in 2008 for $3000 & a 97 Chevy T. bought this summer for $2900. No repairs to either so far. Paid cash for all & have less in 3 than person buying a new car. I won't even talk new truck. They start at $30,000.

Going to pick up our "new" greenhouse Wed. List price is around $8000. It is used & I am paying $1500. Steel hoops don't change much over the years!
This will replace the one the snow took down last winter.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8121591

I know what you mean about not buying new cars, Bernie. We bought my car, which is a 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis, in March 2008 for a lot less than they sold for new. Congrats on the new greenhouse!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8122657

Chilly and mostly cloudy today. High was only in the low 60s so I have a sweater on to beat the chill.

Well, I didn't get any pics at the show. There were alot of people in front of us and we couldn't see them at all. So we watched on the flat screen TV. Had a few interesting events happen there but for the most part we weren't real impressed so left after a couple hours.

An unknown wild bush loaded with berries.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8122666

Bernie I'm just getting caught up on the news on that amazing rain up there.
Sorry to hear of all the destruction but it appears the toll on human life was little or none so that's a GREAT thing.
Rebuild will be tough and I hope FEMA and the other groups gear up quickly.

We do the same thing w/ vehicles. Our first and last new car was in 93.
We're getting a 98 Tacoma in a few weeks to supplement our, to us, newer 95 bought 4 years ago.

The Fall ORVG picnic was yesterday.
Small turnout but a GREAT time.
I'll be putting up shots on Cubits.
Unloading one shot at a time here would kill me... as I have 50 or so shots.

Ric
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 27, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #8123247

Kelli/Crissyr, interesting observation with accents. Here the differences are almost negligible across the whole country. But we do get lots of New Zealanders with their own accent, not to mention the various English along with Irish and Scottish. Even South Africans stand out.

Country gardens, 13.8" (350mm) is a serious amount of rain. Especially if you're in a lowland area with slow drainage. We do get that sometimes during our wet season but drainage is fairly good and the inconvenience is limited.

Pepper23, I've heard before that these days hospitals are bad places for getting staph infections. A lot of the strains in the hospitals have developed resistance to drugs. Hopefully they'll get on top of this one quickly.

My only loan is the property mortgage and I'm getting rid of that as quickly as possible. My car's a 1997 model, and will have to keep going for a lot longer. So far I have over 400,000 kilometres on it.

The rain is still holding off around my place. Not far away it's been raining, so I can only hope. Meantime, minimum temperature overnight was 24.0C (75.2F), with a maximum this afternoon of 37.8C (100.0F).

Finally managed to get another one of my bushwalking stories uploaded.

http://cubits.org/bushwalking/articles/

Tried to format it and ended up making a big job out of it. I'm a bit out of practice with HTML coding.

Billyporter, a photo of me changing the bait in one of our croc traps. The trap is 4 metres (13.12 feet) long.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8123295

Tropic: you are either very brave or crazy! LOL As an American student of "feet and inches", I don't understand kilometers and meters although I think a meter(metre) is about 1 1/3 yards(a yard being 3 feet). Sooooo, how many miles is 400,000 kilometers(kilometres)? Nevermind--I looked it up and it is 248,548.48 miles which, any way you look at it, is really a lot of miles/metres!! I'm going to look at your article now and Ric's photos.

# Today: Sunny. High 74F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low near 50F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #8123315

41F and chilly. Mostly sunny today with a high of 68. Dyson Dark. I guess that's here to stay too.

We have the Grandkids for the day and need to pick one up from school late this morning. It's too wet to work out, so I'll play in :o)

Bernie, how nice to find another greenhouse!

Everyone seems to be doing ok with their older cars!

Tropic, thanks for the picture of the trap. I couldn't imagine what they looked like. The neighbor who traps turtles has round hoops and I think I was trying to picture something like that. Wow, that's a lot of pictures! I'll have to come back to your article.

I couldn't get all of them in the picture, but they have a LOT of donkeys!

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #8123316

I'm very impressed, TB. I love the article on bushwalking.

Hot again today. 90, sunny.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #8123866

Well glad we're talking about cars because I'm quite mad at mine right now. I have a 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD that I bought new, it has just cost me $400.00! Because my 2007 Toyota Tacoma was totaled when it was 7 months old I got a fat check so this car is paid off, just 8 more payments on Dave's truck and we are clear, then it will be time to buy me another, I think his truck will last awhile, I hope...

It has cooled off tremendously!

I feel for ya and the floods, that's tough. Sounds like they're taking care of the people as best they can.

248,548!!! That's a great car Tropic, what kind is it?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #8124534

Getting dark, been raining on and off, (mostly on) since yesterday morning. Cool enough to turn the space heater on,

Need to PM (preventive maintenance) the Kerosene heater soon. Then enclose the screen porch in plastic for the winter.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8124733

Coolish today. Good day for wearing sweaters.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #8124901

Speaking of cars... these were at Joyce's Saturday.
Her DH is doing engine work on them.

1950 Mercury 8.
Notice the suicide doors and the spotlight.
Probably a Cop Car

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #8124909

Front

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8124911

And a pretty nice 1965 'Stang'.
The owner also has a 1964 1/2 which he is getting totally restored from the frame up

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #8124917

Love the Mustang!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #8125337

BP: that's a lot of donkeys! wouldn't want to be around when they were all braying! LOL
Tropic: great article--I really enjoyed the "tour".
Ric: wonderful classic cars--my DGS, Christopher, would be drooling over that 'stang!

I had to wear a sweater when I took the dogs out last night. It was downright chilly! (and felt good, for a change!)

# Today: Plenty of sunshine. High 81F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 54F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

I'm dogsitting my DD's dog while they are away on vacation in Florida. Her dog's name is Gideon. He doesn't like Friday--merely tolerates the "young pup". (Gideon is a wise old 6 yrs. old--Friday is just two.)

Here is a photo of the two of them with my DGS, Zach.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #8125452

50 and chilly with a high of 67 and a 20% chance of rain. North wind won't make it too warm :o(

Oh my gosh, after spending the day with the boys, I haven't even given thought to what I might end up doing today. I can plan, but it doesn't always work out.

Tropic, just the leading paragraph of your hike makes me want to be there. (You had me at ''the gushing creeks'' :o) It was a magnificent place to hike! The paintings are priceless, and I am thrilled to see them! I loved it all!

Celia, the monster!

Chrissy, the monster!

Ric, neat car! MMM MMM MMM on the Mustang!

Marsue, agreed on the braying :o) What a neat picture. Gideon is a handsome fellow too, but I think Friday is the most handsome :o) Wonderful picture of Zac!

Sally Sun, I hope you are feeling better every day. I forgot to say so earlier this morning. Gentle Hug)))))

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #8125458

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEY!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8125479

from me, too, Joey! I posted it on FB and "that other place" but forgot to post it here! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #8125618

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEY!!!!!

Sweet rides Ric!

I think the high is going to be 80* today, and sunny, when I was driving to work it was 51*.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #8125760

Hello!!! Gotta run! Helping a friend with her yard today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOEY!!!

86 for the high today and sunny.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8126678

Warm with temps near 80.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEY!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #8127142

52 with a high of 75 Almost perfect, because ''there's never a perfect day.''

I have eggplant and apple pie to do today. It's going to be about perfect digging weather for transplanting. I got the Jack In The Pulpits dug and ready to mail out. Except for the no-se-ums. it's almost like spring!

Enjoy your weather!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #8128317

Darkening, Wet, Extremely cool, but that's ok also because although the morrow may not be perfect, I'll be glad to see another day.

Raining again.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8128621

High 70s, sunny, very little wind so it was a bit warm.

Will start posting pics again as soon as I get some more on here. Been moving stuff around today to make room for a new dresser so haven't had time to do anything. lol

This weekend will also be super busy because The Wall that Heals is in town and we are going to see it one day this weekend. They are expecting around 80,000 people last I heard. It will be worth it. If you don't know what it is, it is a smaller replica of the Vietnam Wall and it is traveling the United States. If it comes to your area make sure to go see it!!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #8128664

Thanks everybody for the birthday wishes! :D

The weather has been cool & rainy, but I don't mind. I think fall is definitely here. We're sittin at 59 right now. The weather guys are calling for frost this week end. The trees are already turning (2 weeks early)!

I'm gonna have to get on here more often!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #8129139

57 with a high of 74 Abundant sunshine and winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.

It won't be as warm as yesterday, but a good day to keep moving tulip bulbs and taking back my garden. I started filling in the new butterfly bed with odds and ends.

Dyson, every day has it's reason.

Pepper, oooh, a new dresser. Pictures when it's settled in. Wow, the wall is there!

Joey, I'm afraid the first frost is going to be two weeks early too :o(
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #8129172

Good morning! Here it is the last day of September! It's cooler here, too.--Finally! The break in the heat has been welcome--we've had a week of absolutely lovely weather--just perfect for working in the flower beds.

I got an email from KY Sally--it's one she sent out to all those on her list of folks who want to be kept updated on her "condition". The doctors have mapped out a "battle plan", as Sally calls it. I won't go into detail here--that will be for her to do should she feel up to it but needless to say they are going to treat her with some aggressive treatments--radiation and chemo--and will be trying a different chemo drug from the one they used on her last time. The new one is supposed to be less prone to making her sick. She thanks us all for the continued thoughts and prayers on her behalf. We are all here in the background, Sally! big hugs to you!

mums along the driveway are getting ready to bloom

Thumbnail by marsue

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 30, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #8129190

Belated Birthday wishes Joey. (Better late than never.)

Crissyr, my car's a 1997 Toyota Landcruiser Stationwagon. It's diesel, they go forever.

Marsue/Billyporter, I've got more hiking coming, stay tuned.

Mother Nature seems determined to put in her own modifications on one part of my garden. Earlier this year a lightning strike cooked 6 of my tall Coconut palms, along with 2 Paw Paws (papaya), a very large Philodendron growing up one of the palms, plus some Acalypha in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yesterday there was a big storm and it brought down a large tree right down on that same area. I hadn't taken out the dead trunks of the Coconuts but this tree felled 3 of them on its way down.

This tree has Philodrendons and orchids growing on it that now need new homes. The orchids were flowering and full of seed pods. But the big job is going to be cutting up the tree and removing it. Guess it could have been a lot worse, but some plants are going to be getting a lot more sun than what they were used to.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 30, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #8129199

Thanks for the update Marsue.

It's quite a mess in the garden.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 30, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #8129205

As if I don't already have enough to do.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 30, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #8129210

They were forecasting more storms today but so far they seem to have blown themselves out and we're only getting light rain.

Minimum temperature overnight was 22.4C (72.3F), the wet conditions kept today's maximum down to 35.4C (95.7F). Heat index was up to 42.2C (108.0F)

Innocents caught up in the turmoil.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #8129211

Wow, what a mess, Tropic! Hope you have some help in clearing all that out! Was it just a windstorm or did you get some rain with it?

Edited to add:

we crossed, Tropic--you answered my question. LOL Lovely "innocents" there. You are fortunate to live in an area where they grow outside--mine have to be treated as house plants.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2010 6:47 AM
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 30, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #8129219

A friend's coming over on the weekend with a chainsaw. There was 22 millimetres (0.87 inches) of rain with that storm. Today so far there's only been a light sprinkle, but the radar shows heavier rain moving in from the east, probably about an hour away. But it's dissipating a bit so might only end up being quite light here.

We "crossed" again. I've already picked out another tree for the "innocents", hopefully (fingers crossed) Mother Nature won't decide to rearrange the garden again.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2010 10:28 PM

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 30, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #8129495

Hi everyone! I'm baaaaaaack! We've arrived last night and I was so tired I didn't even want to eat, but had to fix something for Cici.
Joey, sorry I missed your Bday, Happy Belated from me too!
Sally BP, thank you so much for your lovely words and thoughts! It was great to be there with all the kids, grandbaby, Godparents and even the Daddy, who was on his best behavior. I had very busy days, but full of love and happiness! Too bad we had to come back home...
I feel like I've been missing longer than I really was...so much happened in only few days! I took lots of pics! All agreed that Nicholas is going to be a star because he was so concentrated when someone pointed the camera at him and he just looked right into the camera! He is so sweet and I was so happy to hold him so much while I was there...and so did everyone! Andreea said we spoiled him too much! She will be all by herself from now on during the day, because Ionut started to work too, (same job in constructions). Anyway, I had to learn how to hold the baby because he doesn't want to be held other than with his face forward, so everyone is like a chair for him!
Here's a photo of me and the baby.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #8129570

Welcome back, Adina!!! He's sooo adorable!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8130503

Still warmer than I like, mid 70s, but better than yesterday.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #8131054

Great photo of you and Nicholas, Adina! I know the time went by too quickly for you! Grandbabies are grand, aren't they?

It almost feels like autumn here although our high will be around 80F today and tomorrow, by Sunday the high will be just in the high 60's--a welcome relief!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #8131092

Time to move on...

NEW THREAD, NEW THREAD, NEW THREAD

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1132244/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America