Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Do I have a different hummer out there?

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #8080176

I've seen the ruby throats but this one has one red spot almost looks like a red diamond on his throat and it shines like a diamond, is it just a baby ruby throat? I got a good look at him yesterday and it's really strange from the ones I've been seeing here.

Nope as to answer to your first question I have no camera :( I've tried to look him up but can't find one like him anywhere.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 5, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #8081706

Hi LeBug, He is probably just starting to get his red feathers in and more will appear later.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #8081720

Thanks :) It looks so cool like a red diamond on his throat never notice that before on the babies wasn't even sure if it was a baby.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #8106813

Le, I have some that look like that too
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8107234

They look so cool don't they Crit :)

It's very sad now the hummers are starting to leave I only really had a couple of weeks of a good show of them darting in and out and trying to dive bomb me when I take the feeders away to fill them or even go to pull weeds in my flower beds around their favorite flowers. I still have a few left but they aren't showing up until the afternoon the mornings are starting to be a little cool.

Last night I turned the sprinkler on and they were flying thru the water and one was just sitting on the feeder right under where the water was coming down on him and at first when they come they fight each other for the same feeder and now they sit there three at a time so cute!

I have two feeders in my side yard where all the flowers are and two feeders by my mini shade garden and they hardly touch the feeders by the mini shade garden they drink from the ones by my flowers and are still all over my flowers.

They sure gave me a lot of entertainment this year, I hate to see them go...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #8108283

We put our feeders up in April here. They usually return to where they found food the year before.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8108465

I put one feeder up in late March then when they start showing up I put another one out and when it gets really warm I just put the four out I used to put like 9 feeders up but it just got to be too much to take care of :) I always hear them before I see them in late March or I'm hearing things one anyway they start going out late March depends on the weather really it's been warming up so fast the last few years.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America