Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: larkspur seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 4, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #8080198

I'm starting to get seeds from my larkspur's, am wondering when and how do you germinate them. I tried to gather some seed yesterday, but couldn't get ahold of any, they would fall apart whenever I would try to pick them. Does anyone have any infor. on how I can get these seeds?
Thanks

roseycats
Dayton ,Ohio
zone 5

This message was edited Sep 6, 2010 9:48 AM
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

September 13, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8096348

Hi Roseycats,
It is likely that September is too late for harvest of the larkspur seeds and that is why the pods fell apart when you tried to harvest. My plants generally bloom in May/June (same as your growing zone), and then seeds are ready to harvest by mid-July. Larkspur re-seeds, so whereever yours were planted, it is more than likely they will come up again in that spot next spring. In fact, as the weather cools, you may see some evidence of new seedlings emerge in autumn. These usually produce the nicest fullest plants in spring if they make it through the winter.

Generally for harvesting the seeds, I begin looking at them in July. As the pods begin to brown, I cut the whole pod with a couple inches of stem and just put them in paper bags. Usually within 3 or 4 weeks, they have dried and the seeds just begin falling out of the pods (if they haven't already started falling out when I harvest them).
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 15, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #8101013

Thanks TsFlowers
I'll remember this next year that is if my larkspurs make it through the winter.
Ossian, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8406901

I sowed larkspur last year and this EARLY spring I have tons, tons, tons, did I say tons of seedlings. No problem though because I love this plant and don't really have anything else to plant there. It's best to, after bloom, check consistently for drying seed pods in case you miss some later. Hope this helps!
Love,
Ella

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America