Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Freezing Celery?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 5, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8081767

I have a bumper crop of celery this year. Last year I dehydrated some of it and seemed like it still remained tough and chewy in my soups. Maybe I did something wrong...

Has anyone ever frozen celery? Blanch it first? What is the texture like?

Any advice gladly received!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #8082911

Yes, I was lazy so it was quick and dirty. I washed it, sliced it raw and laid the slices on a wax covered cookie sheet. When frozen, I packaged the pieces in baggies. By freezing individually, I can use only the needed amount. It worked well as long as it was used in soups, stews or other cooked dishes. Never tried it thawed and raw.
ilovetigger
Belleville, MI

August 31, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8786672

I freeze a mixture of celery and onions for later use in cooking. I do the same with sweet peppers. Some I dice smaller for use in omelets, rice dishes, sauces. Others I chunk for stir-frys and soups.

If you choose to dehydrate it again...try soaking it for at least 1/2 hour before adding it to your foods. That seems to help.

I do dehydrate some, freeze others.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8789212

I tried both drying and freezing celery, using small slices. The dried celery lost so much moisture it seemed to disappear; have not tried to cook with it yet (too scared). I also dried slices of carrots. I really need to try to cook with them - I spent enough time preparing them.

I froze celery 2 ways (blanched and not blanched) and cannot tell the difference after cooking: I like to put about 1/2 cup in stews or soups. Frozen tastes fine. I used small baggies for the freezer.

I have also been separately freezing sliced sweet peppers and sliced sweet onions: works great for fajitas.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8851204

Lazy here too. The store had two for $1.00 on the long stalks, so I grabbed two. I washed, sliced what I thought was good for soups, and layered those amounts in between wax paper in a storage bowl. I have one left to deal with and better get to it before I forget it's in the crisper.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8869265

I sautee celery and onion, twice as much as for a recipe..and freeze half. Green peppers, I toss them in the freezer whole...they are fine for cooked dishes...like chili and spaghetti...although I have used thawed and diced green peppers in my crab salad. It tasted fine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America