Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Woodworking: DH built beautiful arbor

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 4, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
swalt
Dallas, OR

September 6, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8083125

My DH just finished this beautiful arbor at the top of the RV pad to add privacy to our backyard. We will be painting it white.

Thumbnail by swalt
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #8092429

Nice job. It will look even better painted and a nice vine climbing over the fence. The painting will be a challenge on the lattice work.
Question, How thick is the wood used for the door ?
Is that a fig tree on the left ?

Dwight
swalt
Dallas, OR

September 11, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8093567

Thanks, Dwight. We just bought a bronze leafed clematis 'Freda' to grow over it. Can't wait. Must do the painting first-not looking forward to it... but the reward is in reach...

The door is built with cedar 1X6 boards-framed on back with 2x4s. I will attach a photo of the back of it.

Yes, that is a fig tree-'Brown Turkey' I think is the cultivar. Supposed to develop ripened fruit best in Pacific NW climate. I have it potted in a large pot and sitting on the RV pad which is concrete. It has fruit but no where near ripened. First year with it so don't know if the fruit will ripen or when.

Thumbnail by swalt

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8094254

I have a Brown Turkey, given to me last fall, about 2' tall.
I planted it out this spring, it's about 3' now and we have eaten a few figs from it.
The skin tasted like leather but the flesh inside is nice, maybe next year I'll be able to make some jam.

Dwight

Thumbnail by rentman

swalt
Dallas, OR

September 12, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #8095883

Good to know you got some ripe figs. I am in zone 6-7. I should find a place to plant it in the ground. I am putting to gether a veggie garden space in our yard right now. Maybe will put it there.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America