Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

September 6, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #8083881

I tried to germinate a few of these banana seeds in april and got absolutely nothing. I know I did a few things wrong, like using soil and not sterilizing the container. This is my first time germinating something really difficult. There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many different techniques people use to germinate, and on top of that banana is supposed to be tough right? There scarification, stratification, hot water soaks, acid soaks, sterilization to prevent fungus, heat, and then all of the different mediums you can use to start the seed in. What the heck do I do? I really wanna get banana sprouts in like three weeks, not in two years like some others get. What is the best growing medium? (i wanna try and be as cheap as I can) Do bananas benefit from stratification? How cold and how long? Can I do scarification, AND gibberellic acid? If I do acid, how much and how? could I still do hot water soaks if I use acid? Should I sterilize the seed in a bleach, or peroxide, solution? I was just gonna set em on top of the hot water heater for heat since that's really all I have, but it's in a dark place. would I be better off keeping them on a windowsill somewhere and sacrificing the heat? (north texas is usually 90+ so outside is probly not a good idea) GOSH @_@! should I grow them in plastic baggies? or old lunch meat tupperware?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #8208403

hi ilovemytiger..
coo that u are trying bananas from seed..i am too..this will be my 1st attempt..so i dont know if i
have much helpful info for you.. there is a wealth of info on bananas.org ..even a germination site there too..
all the people there are very helpful..
what im doing on my ensete..and musa seeds is i score them with a file..just to where i see some of the
white..inside of seed.. then soak them in spring water(non chlorinated) kept warm 78 degrees for 2 days..
i was going to seed them in sterlile coco coir..but i read where many people that start their own bananas
from seed..just put them in a paper towel..put in a baggie..and keep in warm area..and let them go..
checking that it does get to wet..or dry out.. im keeping mine at 82 degrees..
im with u too..i dont want to put out alot of $$$.. but this is fun..and i had great sucess with
bananas here in utah..in my gardens.. they got huge.. so..im trying some banana seeds of plants
i cant find in the trade..
i hope you keep me posted on how things are going..
best of luck ~!~~~ dave

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America