Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Autumn 2010 Blooms!

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 206, Views: 952
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8084475

My friends, it's time! The weather is nice (thank God!), the sun is lower in the sky (all the better to capture the golden colors!), and the autumn blooms are glowing. Get your cameras out, enjoy the fresh new air, and snap your favs! Here are mine, taken today . . .

Viburnum at the top, starry solomon seals to the right, hosta below . . . and one of our stray kittens in the middle! (He's growing, too!)

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8084479

Sedum "Rosy Glow"

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #8084486

Hydrangea paniculata "Quick Fire"

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8084490

Hydrangea paniculata "Pinky Winky" in front of viburnum and hosta "Guacamole". Black eyed susan, gold barberry, and ninebark "Midnight Wine" in foreground

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #8084492

Sedum "Autumn Fire"

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8084497

My backyard. That's Briana, my Golden Retriever back by the maple tree!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8084503

Sedum "Autumn Fire" again

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8084513

Pulmonaria "Mrs. Moon" (OK, not a fall bloom, but this guy has TRIPLED in size since May!)

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8084520

Another "Mrs. Moon" next to heuchera "Marmalade" (a winner - most heucheras are losers in my garden, but this one is two years old and just gets bigger) and wild columbine foliage. The foliage lasted all season this year!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 8, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8087810

Sounds like 'Marmalade' can take our summers unlike some of the other "wimps". Do you have it planted up against a wall? What side of the house is it on?
A lot of my fall bloomers are pouting since it's been so dry here. We missed out on most of the rain falling on the IL side and that wind yesterday sure didn't help with the lack of moisture either. I've got the sprinkler on as I write.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8088029

Yeah, I know what you mean - that wind just dries everything out right after I water. Today was better. The Marmalade is on the north side of the house. I just happened to think of another reason it may be doing well - it's right under the faucet! The faucet doesn't leak when the water's off, but when it's on, it does a little. It really does nicely, though!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 9, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8088873

Advantageous spot for 'Marmalade'!
Watering already this morning. Our only chance of rain will be Saturday but I doubt that we'll get much with the current weather pattern.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #8089231

I know - my neighbors used to think I was nuts because I'd stand outside with the hose when there were dark clouds and thunderheads above. They'd say "Why are you watering? It's going to rain!". My answer was always "Nah . . . it's not gonna rain. It'll pass right by us." Usually, I was right!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 9, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8089800

Or, if it does rain, watering just insures that it does, right?
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8089883

Right!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8096772

Lovely to see the fall blooms! I definitely love this time of year the best. Spring and Fall are the greatest seasons, and sadly the shortest lived here in the UMW.

Sherri, your pulmonaria 'Mrs. Moon' looks a lot like mine--huge! I planted 3 from Bluestone Perennials last year and they put on some decent size but didn't bloom (planted too late.) This year they bloomed like crazy (I could barely see the foliage for all the blooms!) and grew enormous. I realize now that I planted them too close together. I should probably divide them this spring and spread them out a bit.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #8096892

That's exactly what I'm going to do - this one's a winner!
enya_34
Madison, WI

September 13, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #8096910

Sherri, you beds look very nice and planned. Love that hydrangea!
How do you keep the weeds out with no mulch?
I neglected weeding this season a bit too much and now am looking for some of the less
aggressive plants. Ms Moon is not on this list :) have started transplanting some of it on
the north facing slope that does not get any supplemental watering as am sure it will do
just fine there and will solve my erosion problem too. This already worked with overplanting along
the edge and, like Kayly said, it blooms like crazy in spring. People were asking me what those
lovely blue flowers I had. I actually divided mine in the fall and doubled the number of plants by spring.

I'd love to plant some Rosy glow, it's so much more colorful than Autumn fire.
What do you think of it comparing the two?

This message was edited Sep 13, 2010 1:24 PM
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #8097316

I really love both, so it would depend on how much sun you get in the place you're thinking of - Mrs. Moon likes shade or part shade; sedum loves sun. What I should tell you about Rosy Glow is that as the season progresses, the stems lay down all in a circle - at least for me it's not an upright plant! I kind of like the effect, and next year I'll plant some short, spiky somethings close to the middle of Rosy, so her stems can lay down around it.

Enya, I do get weeds, believe me! I don't get an overwhelming number, though, because weeding out with a hoe is so extremely fast. Also, I disturb the soil as little as possible. I try not to even step on it. Have you ever noticed how a couple weeks after you've planted something, there are little weeds around the new plant all of a sudden? That's because every time you disturb soil, as in planting, you bring thousands of seeds to the surface!

Thanks for the kind words!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #8097344

I went out and took a few shots late this afternoon. Here's my dianthus, which decided to throw out a few autumn blooms.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #8097345

It was breezy, so the malva wouldn't stop moving. I started this from seed in late winter and planted it as a tiny little plug. It's enormous now and flowered like crazy. I believe this cultivar is called 'Mystical Merlin.'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #8097347

Again with the breeze blur, but here's rudbeckia 'Autumn Colors.' I got a great mix of shapes and sizes from this mix, from some that resembled 'Capuccino' to others that looked almost like football mums. I'm not sure whether it reseeds, but I'll start some from seed this spring again. It's a winner!

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #8097355

Sedum

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #8098473

Kayly, those are beautiful! I used to start plants from seed in late winter, but it got to be kind of a hassle with the lights and misting. After seeing yours, I may try again! I was also thinking of throwing some perennial seeds down this fall outside so they get the needed "pre-chill" and let them come up naturally in the spring. Don't know if I'd get a great germination rate, but it's easy and cheap!! : )
enya_34
Madison, WI

September 14, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8098585

Kayly, I love, love, love that Rudbeckia! Such a full bloom and color variation. So you are saying that from a single packet you got a mix of looks? Where did you get the seeds? I brought home two from the RU and they look very different too. What is strange is they both changed color as the flowers matured from yellow to sort of chocolate-dipped. I love it.
Now just need to find the battery charger to snap a picture. In my household a camera seems never to be in a working condition :(

Sherri, I'll remember to keep the surface disturbance to a minimum. Now I remember reading about his in Gaia's Garden.
What kind of hoe do you use? I never worked with one, I use gardening knife or a narrow spade.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 14, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #8098624

My garden knife is my favorite tool! Carry it with me along with my pruners. Both stuck in the back pockets of my jeans. (And I wonder where all of the holes in my pockets come from!)
Beautiful pics, Kayly. I think my garden's just about done (except for a few mums) due to the lack of rain here. Only got about 1/2" or so on Saturday. One of the driest Augusts for me. Still have some Astilbe that I want to divide but other house projects taking priority at the moment.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #8098907

Thanks for the compliments!

Enya, yes...I bought one packet of seeds from Stein's Garden Center in late winter and ended up planting about 6 plants and giving some others away. Each plant from the same packet produced a different looking bloom. One produced these giant blooms that were a good 5" across with very dark chocolate brown centers fading to brilliant red-orange tips. I got the fewest blooms on that plant, and they didn't last long, but boy were they impressive! I'm only sorry I didn't think to get a picture.

Other blooms were very mum-like and golden with chocolate brown centers. And then there's the one I posted, which reminds me of some sort of strange autumn-colored zinnia. Others were more like your standard yellow and brown rudbeckia. But they were all great. I'm going to start some from seed this winter, too.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8099517

Enya, the one I use is called a "stirrup hoe". I found this little article about hoes with pics of different kinds for you: http://www.examiner.com/home-living-in-detroit/tools-for-problem-weeds-your-garden

I was hand pulling for the first 5 years of my gardening life (started about 12 years ago). One day, my elderly next door neighbor, who is Polish and speaks very little English came up to me with this tool I had never seen the likes of before. I was in the dirt, sweating, pulling up plants with my dandelion weeder. She said "No! Too slow! Hard" and started on an area with the hoe. I tried it and it was revolutionary to me! My laborious weeding days were over! It's one of my favorite tools. My favorite though is my butcher knive which divides, weeds, prunes and does everything but the dishes!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 15, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #8100495

I have a "winged weeder" which is kinda nice. I have to keep it sharpened though since my clay soil tends to dull the edges of gardening tools. I do have to be careful with it though since (if I'm not paying attention) I can easily chop off a plant at ground level. It does break through the harder clay pretty easily though.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #8100727

I think I'm going to add a stirrup hoe to my list of must-have gardening tools for next year. :)
enya_34
Madison, WI

September 16, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #8101835

It looks like it would cut the weeds just below the ground or do you scrape the surface no to disturb the soil?
It's definitely could cut down on bending for each weed :) I certainly need a tool.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8102073

Yes, it cuts just below the soil, which is OK as far as soil disturbance because any seeds that close to the surface would have already germinated. I should clarify my statement that I "try not to even step on the soil" - that actually has to do with soil compaction, not weeds. Every time you step on the soil, you compact it to some degree. Of course you HAVE to step on it sometimes and you HAVE to disturb it, as when you plant. The point, I suppose, is to do both as little as possible!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 16, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #8102406

I always start the growing season with good intentions not to step on the soil but by the end of summer, I end up with compacted areas from putting one foot in. My biggest weed problem was this past spring. I had emptied my compost pile last year to amend soil and everywhere I amended there popped a huge collection of weeds. I think I need to limit what I put in my "usable" compost pile.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8103933

I don't how I didn't get here...

Sherriseden I have this and was told by the person who sold it to me it was a hydrangea then was told by a couple other people it is a viburnum. It looks similar to the one you posted above. Right?

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #8103935

My asters are in bloom

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8103936

as is Autumn Joy sedum

Thumbnail by cececoogan

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #8104078

Cece, that's a hydrangea. They can look like viburnums in the blooms and leaves (both have opposite leaf arrangement), but the test is when they bloom: viburnums, spring; hydrangeas summer to fall. Beautiful! But, the blooms don't look panicled (?) Are they flat or panicled (like a phlox)?

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #8104197

No they're not like a phlox. I'll go out and see if I can get a better picture of the bloom itself.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #8104204

a closer look and I never noticed it before but it does kinda sorta resemble a phlox.

Thumbnail by cececoogan

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 17, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #8104256

That is a beautiful bloom! I thought at first it might be a viburnum looking at the leaves but now that I think how small the leaves are on Hydrangea 'Limelight', I'm confused.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #8104285

Me too. Would love to know if its a viburnum of hydrangea. Don't think the plant is even sure now I've changed it back and forth so many times.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #8104379

I'm sure it's a hydrangea - I see in your new pic that the bloom head is panicled, i.e. the head is triangular instead of disc-like as you would see in a yarrow. (I hope I'm explaining that clearly!) Plus, it's blooming now - definitely hydrangea! And a beautiful one at that!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #8104443

Thank you and I have several others on the other site that agree with you. Its a Hydrangea. Whew glad that is finally decided. I've been calling it a Viburnum for the past 4 years ever since a horticulturist looked at the picture of one and said it is a Viburnum.

Thank you for the compliment on it., I love how it changes colors from white to that shade of pink.
enya_34
Madison, WI

September 17, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8104542

This is my darkest Rudbeckia from this year's RU.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

September 17, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #8104547

Chinese Aster. I brought a whole bunch of them to the RU, but nobody was interested so now I have lots of
them blooming in one spot.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

September 17, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #8104550

Japanese Anemone. Pink ones are done, but this double just starting.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

September 17, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #8104554

A seriously confused crab apple :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #8104689

I have one confused as well, but the other one isn't.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #8105172

Enya, the rudbeckia are gorgeous! Some of mine looked a lot like that. I love that red-orange fading to brown.

I'm envious of those of you who have asters. They've always hated me.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 18, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #8106079

What a beautiful surprise to have crab apple blooms in early autumn! I just heard an interesting podcast with Mike McGrath yesterday about crabs. I have one cultivar and some wild ones that lose most of their leaves over the summer and I guess that's a natural thing for them and not necessarily a disease.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #8113588

Enya, the ruds I got from the roundup are doing great too ,Iam suprized mine bloomed they were eenie lil guys,same color as yours.Getting ready to move them ,so I can see them everyday,next year. cece that hydranga is really pretty,Iam moving 2 glowing ember soon,they get too much sun ,we cut a tree down and they are burning up.Been busy moved a few things yesterday...Anyone need a black Hollyhock???
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8113821

cececoogan, your plant is definitely a hydrangea. At first I thought it might be 'Twist and Shout'. Mine is about 3 feet tall, but it has rounder flowers. Yours are a little more elongated. My flowers also go from a very light pink to a very dark pink. This picture isn't very good, all the flowers are past prime right now, or getting ready to flower.

Thumbnail by busy_gardener

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #8113971

Those are actually 3 shrubs. They have been there since July of 2004. i cut them back the first spring and haven't touched them since but to cut the old blooms off in spring. I am just glad that I finally know for certain they are hydrangeas. I love the look of them.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #8114466

Busy-Gardener - Your Twist n Shout is beautiful! Just to make sure there's no confusion, though - Twist n Shout is a patented hydrangea macrophylla (AKA bigleaf hydrangea). The hydrangea Cece has is a hydrangea paniculata. The macrophyllas are only hardy to zone 5, and paniculatas to zone 3. Also, macrophyllas bloom on old wood and paniculatas on new. This difference in species makes a huge difference in when to prune!
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #8114539

I knew that cececoogan didn't have Twist and Shout when I looked at her picture closely (wrong flower and leaves). I have all three of the Endless Summer Series hydrangeas (Endless Summer, Twist and Shout, and Blushing Bride). I really think that Madison is zone 4, I don't know why Dave's Garden thinks we are zone 5. Anyway, my hydrangeas die all the way back to the ground in the winter, and send up new growth in the spring. I get flowering on the new growth. Blushing Bride is slower to flower than the other two. Since this thread is called Autumn blooms, I thought I would include a picture of my Chrysanthemum 'Mammoth Dark Pink Daisy' flowering. I started them from cuttings this spring.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #8114973

bought an Endless Summer last fall and put it in... Didn't do squat this year got a few new leaves and nothing else...So will prolly just get rid of it...
hjs72
Iowa City, IA

September 22, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #8115170

Hello fellow midwesterners! Just noticed your thread and couldn't resist adding a few of my "old reliables"...

Mountain bluet: It gets straggly in late summer but I can't do without those bizarre flowers (my neighbor's little girls call it the Dr. Seuss flower) and scent in the spring.

Cat mint (Nepeta): My west-facing front yard beds get full sun; occasionally I fantasize about ripping everything else out and just planting it all with catmint.

Clematis Jackmanii: got the poor little stub of a plant for two bucks at a nursery's end-of-summer sale three years ago and it climbs up my porch and blooms its little heart out, bigger each year.

OK, now I have a question... I have an ugly corner of the house (picture the inside angle of an "L" where one wall points due west and the other points due south), so the site is protected from winter winds but gets full sun in the summer. I was planning to plant Annabelle hydrangeas there next spring, but after reading your notes above, I'm not so sure now. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #8115304

Busy_Gardener - you are right: there is a group of macrophyllas that bloom on both old and new wood and Endless Summer is part of this group. See this link for more info: http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/pruning.html

hjs72 - welcome!! Annabelle is a hydrangea arborescens and very hardy. I would definitely try it in that corner. I learned the hard way that arborescens does not like the shade that many references indicate. I think those references are for southern clilmes. I put mine in a spot where they get morning sun for a couple hours and no other direct sun for the day and they're declining. I am moving them!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #8115946

cececoogan wrote:bought an Endless Summer last fall and put it in... Didn't do squat this year got a few new leaves and nothing else...So will prolly just get rid of it...

Endless Bummer never did a thing for me, either--one or two blooms in the spring and that was it. I left mine at my old house and decided not to try planting one here, despite my love of all things hydrangea. I really just don't think Wisconsin is quite warm enough for the macrophyllas, even the ones that bloom on new wood like Endless Summer, to do well. Then again, I've seen some gardens with gorgeous specimens. Maybe it's just...me. *cry*

This message was edited Sep 23, 2010 6:34 AM
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #8116397

My Endless Summer did little or nothing the first year or two, while my next door neighbor's was flowering away all summer. Hers was 25 feet from mine. This year (third year) it really started to flower. My Twist and Shout flowers the best. Blushing Bride flowers the least, but really has beautiful flowers. The flowers start a creamy white tinged on the edges with pink, but gradually turn darker pink through the summer. I'll include a picture of what a flower looks like now. It does tend to start new plants fairly easily by layering. If anyone wants to try a Blushing Bride next spring, let me know.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 23, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #8116735

'Endless Bummer' - giggle. Last year, a fellow DGer recommended giving it super phosphate. I had just dug up 'All Summer Beauty' and gave it to DD in TN due to lack of flowers and moved my 'ES' to a little bit brighter, better soil location. The super phosphate seemed to do the trick and I had about 8 beautiful flower clusters this year. My 'Annabelle' gets some direct sun and seems pretty reliable in terms of bloom. The one I haven't been able to coax into blooming is 'Tardiva'. It's in it's 3 location (better soil) and still isn't happy enough to flower. I think it needs more sun than it's getting and I must think of a new home for it. DD in TN has Hydrangea blooms to envy (which I do) even without any extra fussing over.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #8116830

My neighbor bought two endless summers the same time I did mine. She got 2 blooms of each of the two plants she put in. They're at the corner of her garage,m mine is at the corner of my house and there must be 20 feet between them. I think I just got a lousy specimen. Course hers did get much bigger than mine. I guess I'll leave it there for another year maybe two unless I find I want to plant something else there then it is history.
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #8117010

I have some super phosphate. I'll have to try that next year. Maybe my neighbor will envy my ES.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 23, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #8117073

If it hadn't been for the super phos suggestion, mine would have been history (or growing in TN).
No pic here but Kirengeshoma palmata is blooming here with those soft yellow bells. A couple are trying their hardest to hold onto their flowers even though they've dropped their leaves due to the hot, dry weather. Perennial Ageratum is also in flower here as well as Rabdosia (I think or something similar) along with my tropical Blue Sky vine. Wonderful to have such spring-like colors blooming right now.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #8117908

I just moved my glowing embers thursday,omg what a job, then to dig 2 really big holes and haul dirt out haul dirt in ,up and down the hill.AAHH got it done ,now I just hope going from burning up in the sun to shade with some sun will make them happy in a year or two or not.Darn things anyway I just love them,and this year I had more blooms,starting to do well.Then clorosis,then we cut down the tree that provided some shade,they bloomed anyway the leaves are so ugly,they were almost white from clorosis almost have all color back now,but they got sunburned adding insult to injury,then I go and move them into most likely too much shade.. We will see,dontcha just hate when you cant win,with a plant you love soo much.Besides I spent way to much on them,to give up...yet lol at least they will be nice and green and full next year,maybe even bloom .Iam going use that super phosphate for sure.I have a lace cap that needs moved too uhggg
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 24, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #8118096

Moving those big shrubs can be exhausting! May be why the thought of moving them rarely crosses my mind. :) You may want to add a couple of pinches of the super phosphate around the shrub now while the earth is still loose to get the results you crave next year.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #8119937

Thats what Iam going to do...then hope...They are right off the porch now where I can really pay attention to them.Boy I really had no Idea how big the root ball was. They had been there 4 yrs,duhh..Iam hopefull though..

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8119947

One of my variegated brugmansia this morning

Thumbnail by cececoogan

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8119955

very nice cece,what do they like sun/shade ?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 25, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8120570

Nice plant! It seems like "brugs" are a popular topic on DG but I know nothing about them. Are they a tender tropical thing?

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2010

Post #8120641

Cindy Yes they are a tender tropical. I have 13, 12 in containers and another variegated in the ground that I must get up. They ALL have to come in every winter to my sun room and hope for the best. One year I had 4 of them blooming for me in February! The sun room smelled heavenly from evening to early morning.

@Tamarra I had always had them in full sun and by the middle of August they started losing leaves left and right. just recently I found out that the best for them, where it gets hot and humid (which it does get in WI), morning sun and dappled sun in the afternoon. Next year I will have to correct where I have been putting them. The past couple days with the high winds we've had I've had to bring most of them and my Elephant Ears up on the patio along side the sun room to protect them from the winds. They kept getting blown over and after 4 trips out to set them right again I figured it out and moved them. I am so slow sometimes. There is still 3 out in the open I haven't moved for they are close to 8 feet tall and very hard to handle them and the hand truck at the same time. I did move one that tall that way and have paid for it today with my back. The one in the grown is okay at present but needs to come up soon and get put in a pot. I still have a couple of EE's that need to get to the patio as well plus all 5 alstromerias, a few canna, an Ornamental pepper and 4 or 5 scented geraniums. Oh and a Banana tree and a palm tree. small as it is.

I'm tiring myself out just talking about getting that all in my sun room before first frost and the sun room, is no where NEAR ready for its winter companions. I need to get my head out of my butt and get things done.

How are you guys?

Blooming yesterday morning...
Also forgot, two Mandevilla, a Star of Jasmine, a Night Blooming Cerus, a fuchsia, a spider plant and a Strawberry begonia I can't forget. I better make a list to make sure I know where they all are.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2010 4:20 PM

This message was edited Sep 25, 2010 4:23 PM

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2010

Post #8120643

A close up of its bloom

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #8120644

Catyopteris 'Sunshine Blue'

Thumbnail by cececoogan

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 25, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #8120860

cece - I have 'Sunshine Blue' in flower now as well. It is a very cheery plant this time of year.
I fear I don't have quite the space for many tender plants in my little gh. I have my Mandevilla, blue sky vine, fuchsia, and a few others as well as the herbs in pots. Then I have to save some space for growing seedlings in the early spring. I do need to clean my gh before bringing in too many other things but right now I have 3 tomato plants in 5-gallon buckets in there. Experimenting this year with them. Had to string supports for them since they started out all and now they're draped all over the ceiling in the gh. But did pick a few ripe ones yesterday. Don't know how they'll like the natural gas heater though when I have to turn it on.
Quite chilly here today -had to break out a sweatshirt. Hoping to get a bit of the rain travelling through here this evening. Didn't get much the other day and my Hydrangeas are drooping.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #8121446

cece ,we are doin fine,hope you are as well,I sure wish I had a sunroom .I just brought in my Mandeville,spider plant I have 2 more to come in. i love those brugs,might have to try my hand at 1 next year.Been playing catch up around here got so dang hot and dry I just stopped going outside !!!! this week I did move 2 hydrangas and 2 huge stands of adagio grass,3 out of 4 look fine darn wind just would not stop blowwing,really dried out the 1 stand of grass,it will be fine next year..Taking off with the girls today for 3 days going down to Nashville Indiana,maybe to French lick .yes cooling off a lot geeze ,friday it was 90+ ,its 53 this am,I hope the sunshines a bit for us while we are gone.Get that rear in gear girl,get those plants tucked in for winter...See ya Tamara
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8121896

That wind was something the other day. It blew almost all the leaves off my brugmansia, and only left two flower buds. I have mine in a pot and bring it in to the basement for the winter. I let it go into a dormant state, and only water occasionally. Here's a picture of my morning glory that I took today. It's a very pretty blue.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 26, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8122057

Totally missed out on the rain yesterday. As it hit the IL/IN state line, it totally disappeared. Sigh. So I'm watering again today. I'm so glad I didn't do any major transplanting this summer (due to the heat). Did have to dig up some perennials along my foundation though - have to dig down and find a leak this week. Hopefully that will be a quick project. DB is doing the digging and it's only about 3 ft down. Clearing the garage out today for spray foam installation on the ceiling tomorrow. So much junk to haul out!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2010
2:59 AM

Post #8123217

I've most of the brugs and EE's up to the patio. I still have one brug in the ground but did bring my fuchsia, spider plant and strawberry begonia and tuber begonia in. One brug is STILL in the ground. I really should deal with that this morning...38 right now brrrrr no way too early...

Will drop a couple more degrees before the sun rises. That is what I have been seeing since I started watching the temps in the morning every fall. Hope everything is okay out there.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 27, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8123642

Yikes! 38??? At 7 this morning, the outdoor temp was 50 (I think all of the leaves on the trees help insulate our yard) and the indoor temp was 66. Still resisting the urge to turn on the furnace. Hoping to wait until Oct 1 - then I won't feel too guilty. All of my tender stuff is still outside but will have to start bringing stuff in but need to clean the gh first. Too difficult to do once I bring in the plants.
enya_34
Madison, WI

September 27, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #8123662

cece, your blooms are making me envious this time of year, but when you mentioned all the work that goes into preserving the plants I feel better :) They are beautiful! If I had a sun room I'd do something like it but on a much smaller scale. I just took most of my indoor plants in.
Have to do it in the summer, otherwise forget to water them, and they die.

busy_gardener, this blue is bluer than the sky this morning. What a pretty sight, and how many of them still open!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8123679

It is now 54 and sunny. I am not moving too very fast. I have so much to do and absolutely no ambition right now., What can i say?
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #8123936

I went out to count the morning glory flowers, and there were 25+ open. I'm pretty sure it is 'Heavenly Blue'. It has been beautiful all summer. While I was counting, a hummingbird was a foot away from me on my meadow sage. S(he) is trying to get the last drops of nectar of the summer. I thought I'd scrub out pots and let them dry in the sun on the deck.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8129270

love those morning glories busy,I dont have patients for them !! And the bugs seem to enjoy them too much !!Back to reality work tomorrow took September off.I Dont Want Too...Ugg So I will be outside all day today !!! Need to get motavated .Its been so hot and dry I dont have a lot of blooms ,mums coming on.Going to buy 2 huge ones to plant where the Hydrangas were .

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #8129299

Tamarra we have frost advisories and warnings over the weekend Do you?

Thumbnail by cececoogan

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #8131044

cece,low of 35 on saturday nite,so darn close to it.Maybe a bit of rain tonite,high of 50s sat.bit warmer sunday,come on Indian summer !!!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #8131099

38 tonight 35 on Saturday and 36 on Sunday. So don't want it. I still have 4 brugs outside and my EE's. The canna is okay with the frost, then I can cut it back and store them, Mandevilla have to come in and the hibiscus...What did I do last night? Entertain last minute guests that I really didn't want to deal with anyway but DH said BE SOCIABLE Hate it when he makes me do what I don't wanna.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 1, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8131250

cece - LOL - "being sociable" - DH does the same thing here. I do give him credit though for keeping me "human".
Tamarra - Nice to have a whole month off but then back to reality can be a bummer. Sorry 'bout that.
I still have a ton of stuff to bring indoors. Need to finish putting stuff away in the garage so that I can have room to clean the GH first before bringing stuff in. I think it's going to be a busy weekend for me. I'm hoping the trees will insulate enough to keep the temps up a bit at night. Just seems like this cold weather came awfully fast. And we're still dry here.
frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8131296

Lespedza 'Gibraltar'. You can't beat this perennial for fall effect. Spectacular cascading form and color. Love it!

Thumbnail by frahnzone5

frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8131322

A nice grouping of sedums for long bloom time. From left to right, Lynda Windsor, Carl, Autumn Charm, Stephen Ward.

Thumbnail by frahnzone5

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 2, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8133440

frahn - that Lespedza is a beaut! Is that a sun-lover? I haven't seen it locally.
We are finally getting some "lake effect" rain today - off and on showers since last night. Although I had planned on working outside today and even watered the lawn yesterday thinking that we wouldn't get any rain, I'll have to be happy getting what rain I can. At least I have my double rain barrel project to work on in the garage today. Hoping to have it all set up outside next week (just in time for snow?).
frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8133916

Yes, it's a full sun perennial. It could probably take a little shade but for best flowering and form it needs at least 6 hours of sun a day.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #8134275

Well, I finally got all the plants situated in the sun room. Was THAT a chore in itself... Some of them I had to really cut back just to get them through the patio doors. Didn't realize they got so big. I know I know, reality check here. what can I say? They grow so much but I see them as small dainty plants still till they won't fit in the door.
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #8134310

I cleaned up the leaves and pots of all my houseplant and brought them in on Friday. What a chore! I was exhausted. I always wonder "why do I have so many plants"? It doesn't seem to stop me, or make me throw any out. I cut small branches of sage and put them around the soil of my larger pots to keep my cats out.
cece, do you cut back your brugmansia? Do you do it now or in the spring if you do? I brought mine in, and am letting it go in to dormancy. It got really tall this summer, about 5 ft. I don't want it to be scraggly. I was thinking of cutting it back now.
Yesterday I picked 11.5 lbs. of peppers. I was afraid I'd lose them if we got a frost last night. After I picked them, there were so many, I just had to weight them. I know what I'll be doing today. I'll be making stuffed peppers, and freezing them in an assembly line fashion.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #8134347

We did get a bit of rain ,not enough tho..this is only my 2nd year with my Mandeville,Iam worring about light, enough of it,should I get my 2ft fixture out.Id better and a new bulb. Oh cece my spider plant is ginormous it doubled in size,Id love to have more plants that go in and out but I have no light in the house !!! I have a spider plant a philodendron chrtistmas cactus ,mandevillle.and should I cut the mande back ???? My peppers petered out got all wilty and whimpy my soil is lacking something any ideas Busy ????

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #8135188

My 8ft brug had to be cut back to get the blasted thing through the door frame LOL I don't usually cut anything back unless it is a necessity. The more growth they have the easier to winter through is my motto...

That is just want I do... One has to do what one has to do to ,make it work.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 3, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8135560

This is my third year with a mandevilla. The first winter, I brought it into my little hobby gh with a tripod trellis and left the plant intact. It would drop leaves throughout the winter but did leaf out in the spring. Last year when I brought it in, I left the vines intact for a while since it was looking good and still throwing out a flower or two. Then I cut it back pretty far and kept pinching it until about a month before it was due to go back outside. And it grew back to it's original size pretty well. I think I'll do the same this year. I tend to get some spider mites on the vining things that I bring in so I also cut back my blue sky plant as well. I think the only thing I'd do differently this year is to let them start growing 2 months before I take them out in May. Hoping to get the gh cleaned out this week and spray for spider mites and then spray the plants with Neem before bringing them in. I don't have a lot of light in my house so they do have to stay in the cool gh over winter.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #8136164

Iam watching for scale ,I used bayer on it before I brought it in,last year had scale it killed the red mande,strange little bugs,dont want them again...I really cringe over cutting it back,but probly will...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 4, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8137281

I also used Bayer for the first time over this past winter. I only put it on 3 plants wintering over in the gh - the mande, the blue sky vine and a potted Hydrangea. The latter didn't like the stuff and and I had some browning leaves but the mande and blue sky vines did fine with it.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #8138688

I hope i got those lil buggers ,I love my mande...but Iam a rookie,at bringing tropicals in for winter
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #8139525

I survived stuffing peppers, and hope we love them this winter. Hugger, I had a good year for peppers, and can say for sure it's not the soil. I have heavy clay that doesn't seem to change no matter what I add to it. I don't grow a lot of bell peppers, more cubanelle (like Carmen and Gypsy) and sheepnose. They seem to do better for me. I fertilize the peppers when I plant them and when they start flowering . Otherwise I mulch them heavily once the weather gets warm. I really don't do anything else. Bugs and diseases don't seem to bother them.
I bring my mandevilla in for the winter every year. I cut it back to about two feet tall and put in a west window. It does grow smaller leaves and gets spindly. I just keep cutting back the long spindly growth, and water less. I don't have problems with scale, mine gets mealy bugs. I sprayed mine before I brought it in, but I'm sure I'll be spraying again. I've thought about using Bayer next year. Are you using the kind with imidacloprid in it? Some of the Bayer products have it, some don't.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8139561

I have been using Bayer Insect and mite control on all my mites and yucky inside winter pest. It seems to work okay.

No complaints from here really but then I learned to expect some insect damage no matter what the season and deal with it, when I can.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 5, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #8139640

Congrats on surviving, busy... I made some (probably not as many as you) a couple of months back and the last bag of them is waiting for me when I'm too beat to cook.
I did go out and buy a bottle of Neem this morning. Tomorrow is gh cleaning and plant spraying day. I'm hoping the Neem will work at keeping the critters under control since I can't treat all of my snow birds with the Bayer. Lots of herbs in pots and I still have 3 tomato plants growing in there. I'm torn between yanking them out so I have more room or waiting until I see if they like artificial heat.
Raking the front yard for the sixth time today - a bumper acorn and hickory crop this year. Can skate across the front yard on them. I'll be really hating my rake by the time the leaves start falling.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2010
3:59 AM

Post #8140546

busy ,mine does not contain imidacloprid,should it ??? I have not seen any signs of scale yet,hoping its working (the bayer).I have not grown decent peppers in years,thought it was too much shade ,we cut down the tree,we get sun now ,but this year the heat and no rain ,I do water ,but they wilted and stopped producing??? arggg I only want a few...!!!! I composted them,watered ...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #8140550

AHH Cindy ,we too have a bumper crop of acorns ,except ours are on a hill talk about a ride !!! But we have almost no walnuts AMEN.a no nut year YEA,we have like 11 black walnut trees in the yard ,Oak trees on the woods edge.We bought a Nut wizard last year a miracle!!!! no more bending over to gather nuts ,they make a couple of different sizes for smaller nuts and even larger .Its an oval wire basket on a long handle that you roll over the nuts and it picks them up then you empty it over aa 5 gallon bucket,well worth the 40 bucks it cost..Well worth it,dh is most impressed with it.I do hear you about hating your rake,I feel your pain...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 6, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #8141638

hugger - I remember from some of your earlier photos that you do have a hill. Maybe a new Olympic sport? I've seen that rolling wire basket - looks like it would be cool to use.
I wonder if it was getting too hot this year for peppers and tomatoes to flower but I'm not a "real" vegetable gardener. I do have one pepper plant in a pot. It took a couple of months for one to grow big enough to pick and then nothing. Now it's flowering again and I have a second pepper. Watch the frost get it.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8144867

BusyGardener,
What type of camera do you have? I have never seen a photo of a Heavenly Blue morning glory with as true a blue color as in your photo above. Beautiful photo!
Mike
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #8145071

Treelover, I'm embarrassed to say that it's a Kodak EasyShare camera. I really like the way the colors come true, and it's so easy to download the pictures from the camera to computer. I had been thinking of getting a better camera, but this one is so easy. The morning glory continues to flower even after a couple of frosts.
Hugger, the reason I was asking about imidacloprid in the Bayer product you were using is that there was some controversy over it at one point. I think in France they thought that imidacloprid was responsible for killing large numbers of bee colonies. Later I think that was disproved. I just read in the paper the other day that they discovered that the bee colonies in America were dying due to a virus and fungus that were acting together. Anyway, imidacloprid is very effective on some really annoying bugs. I was out shopping on Wednesday, and saw the Bayer 3 in 1 concentrate (that has imidacloprid) on clearance for $15.00 a bottle. It is usually $24.95 for a bottle, so I stocked up.
We are having beautiful weather. I'm trying to get outside as much as I can, laundry and cleaning can wait.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #8145077

I love my Kodak Easyshare DH bought me. I use that most of the time. My DD gave me her little Nikon point and shoot and I like that one as well. Anything more complicated is lost on me. Can never figure out the darn instructions.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 8, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #8145651

cece - We bought a "simpler" camera for me to use (when I think about it) but techie DH still had to have some features on it. As long as it's in one mode, I'm ok with it. Trying to remember the sequence of events to upload the photos though always confuses me. I'm not a techno geek.
Have been working on a leaking foundation (well, actually my brother did the digging) and we're now putting everything back together. Would love to get it back filled by Sunday to beat the (hopeful) rain on Monday. I still have plants to stick back in the ground.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #8146130

busy,i loved my kodak easy share, nothing to be ashamed of ,easy to use and it took wonderful photos,what else do you need.Wish I still had mine ... Live and learn ,Mine died Iam on my 3rd digital now,I buy the extended warranty ,umm and ive used it twice now, I now have a point and shoot panisonic lumix dmc tz5 ,its nice,but I miss the kodak. Funny you mentioned the bees,I was just talking to someone about that, and Iam now worrying about any bug killer like sevin ??? I only use it during jap beetle season, makes me worry...Hoping to get in the gardens today ,Iam up early got to get the dh up and around gotta get the camperette to the 4h grounds for winter storage, then off to the grocery,and home I plan on being outside all day
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #8146164

hugger, I do really like my EasyShare. It just seemed that the answer to treelovers question should have been some expensive camera.
My mom uses Sevin on her Hibiscus to kill the Japanese Beetles. They chew the flowers and leaves to pieces. If you don't see the bees around the flowers/plants at the time you are spraying, you probably aren't going to kill a lot of them. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't putting something on my plants that was going to destroy the population of bees in my area!
It is supposed to be another nice day to do some outside work!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2010

Post #8146183

busy ,I bought one of those expensive point and shoots and it was a kodak and I hated it it was a duel lens with no optical zoom,it was all digital zoom and it was awful ,almost 400.oo it was lemon it was a V 570 not the easy share line..live and learn Thats when the warranty has paid off for me,I bought the better warranty on this one even if you drop it in water or on the ground it is covered.And Ive almost had to use it !!!! again.consumer reports say that is one of the only extended warranties you should buy,cameras that are used alot seem to wear out by the time the oringinal warranty ends. Iam hoping not to have to use it though !!!! I really worry about killing the good bugs,I did pick jap beetles too so I didnt use a lot of sevin,had to dust tomatoe horn worms Once,I picked 4 monsters before I powdered...
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #8146265

My daughter has terrible luck (my dh says she's not careful) with electronic gadgets. A few years ago, at a high school senior party, she lost her digital camera. It was found the next day after it rained that night. Of course it was wrecked. When she asked for a new camera for her birthday, we got her one that was guaranteed waterproof, and drop-proof. It's been doing OK for 4 years! I'm sure that she's dropped it, and it's gotten wet since then.
I don't have a problem with Tomato horn worms, only saw one once, a couple of years ago. Can you use BT on them? I have all I can do to try to keep ahead of Blight on my tomatoes.
I hate Japanese Beetles. I can't stand to touch them, much less crush them with my fingers. I don't like having a soapy bucket filled with JBs, what do you with the bucket water when you are done?

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #8146347

Busy, I, too, despise JB's and they love love love my flowers. I start out trying to get rid of them with soapy water and then leave it sit in the sun and bake bake bake. "Ater about 4 weeks of that I give up and just take a strong stream of water and knock off what will fall. Doesn't kill them I know but it makes me feel better.

As for tomato blight. I had 6 plants and managed to get one good tomato for every 6 I picked so will not be doing them any more. Not worth the headache and what I did get didn't taste any different than what I can buy in the store.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 9, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #8147283

Where do tomato hornworms come from?! I'm growing a couple in pots and one in the ground in my perennial bed so I don't have a dedicated veggie garden. I had two this year - yuck. As for the JBs, I didn't have them so bad this year. They do tend to go for my porcelain vine though and will eat leaves. I do have to spray them as they get to places I can't reach.
Yippee! Progress on the foundation project. All of the coatings and membranes are up and the drain hose thing is in and covered with gravel. I can start filling in with dirt tomorrow but have to do it in stages and soak it in between. Hope to be planting by Weds latest. And of course they've taken the much-needed rain out of the forecast so it's really dry here. There goes my water bill again.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #8148106

I too didnt really have a lot of JBs ,I picked some and stomped on them !!!! they seemed to only appear in groups of 10 or soo.Horn worms I only had the 4 ,and I only powdered 1 time .I have no Idea what the moth or butterfly looks like.I should,but dont !!! And We Do Need Rain Cindy !!! I need to fertialize the grass,kill crab grass... Ive been watering non stop it seems, just trying to keep my perennials from turning to dust!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 10, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #8148996

DH was complaining about the clouds of dust from mowing the lawn today and wants to take out some native oaks that are "sucking all of the moisture out of the ground". He's definitely a green grass kinda guy. I cannot water enough here unless I want the water running 24/7. Areas that I watered two days ago are bone dry again. I think my more tender plants and herbs were happy to be moved into the little gh today - they'll get more water indoors. And DH installed my double rain barrels today - not like they're going to get much use. I thought briefly about turning the a/c back on today but not sure I can bring myself to do it. As long as it cools off by 10 pm or so, I'm happy. I think this has been the driest summer in years for us. Even the blooming Tricyrtis look sad.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8149801

My Dh mowed saturday ,I could not stand the dust-dry grass,chopped leaf storm either!!! I had to stay in the house till he was done...it was awful,boy if we dont get any rain I wont be fertilizing ,I dont water the grass. I use weed and feed twice a yr,just to keep weeds and crab grass under controll, well and to keep the grass healty,Iam not a green fanatic,but I didnt get the yard fertilized this spring and man o man I got the crab grass baddd...We have a woods lawn,I just try to keep it growing !!!! w/o weeds !!!! On a road we travel everyday someone dug a really nice pond oh Id say 10 -12 weeks ago,Ill bet they thought they would have water init by now ,there is not ,sadly for them.Man o man 87 degrees sunday and I decided to dig lily bulbs a 4ft x 6ft bed ,dirt was soo very compacted,and DRY,the bulbs were not very deep anymore good thing...Got out the little hoe tiller ( funny its called that) tilled the bed worked a load of compost in,replanted the bulbs.oh my Iam still worn out this morning !! someone say advil !!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 11, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8150911

I can sympathize with your pain. I did the first fill on the foundation wall yesterday and was hurting by evening. Took a couple of regular aspirin and I'm fine today. Brother did the second fill today so I was saved. Finishing the last fill of about 6 inches to grade tomorrow. Just very happy to have that done.
Did have to put some plants back in the ground in front of my rain barrels. Got a headache just chopping into the hardened soil with my shovel. Hoping for at least a little shower tonight and maybe rain on Weds??? We have so much shade that our lawn looks pretty sparse by late summer if we don't get enough moisture. Will have to agree with DH that all of these oaks to suck up all of the good stuff (but not enough of a reason to chop them down). Heard that while it's 82 and sunny here, Chicago is 65 with a thick fog this afternoon. Hmmm - fog means moisture. I'm only 20 miles from Chicago as the crow flies - dare I hope?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #8151658

cindy ,are you shoveling pea gravel ?? was it a long wall that was water proofed ? I remember when we built the house and all that fun WORK...Hope you are done ,so you can play in the garden..
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #8151681

We are dry here too, but not that dry. It sounds like you're ready for the dust bowl. My dh and I stopped by Mennards on Sunday. I had to take a peek at the garden center. They had gallon daylilies for $1.75. I left without buying one. Yesterday, I decided to pick a couple up. When I got there, a guy was throwing them on a cart. Most were gone. He had put them in the trash compactor. I did grab one. It's called 'Cranberry Baby'. It's only 12" tall. It's nice to have some small daylilies too.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #8151687

oH ouch in the trash..how sadd,glad you got 1 !!!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #8151694

Dry here also, Rob is saying possible showers and rumbles tonight. Got the leaf vacuum out this afternoon and started on the backyard. The leaves are so dry they just crumbled into little bitty bits. Okay by me...Great mulch for next year. Then hubby came home and took my toy away. He doesn't share very well...
enya_34
Madison, WI

October 12, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #8152388

Can you believe this? Maxine's Immortality is blooming!

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

October 12, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #8152395

Crocus sativus

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

October 12, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8152400

Not much color way more flowers than last year on this toad lily.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

October 12, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8152401

Ants love these toad lilies.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

October 12, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #8152402

This is another toad lily but for some reason ants are not fond of this one.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

October 12, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #8152405

This is Jap. Anemone Honore Hubert

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

October 12, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8152409

It's been blooming for over a month now, first time in 3 years I got to see how nice the plant could look.
But of cause it's leggy and falling down as it does not get enough sun :(

Thumbnail by enya_34

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8153113

My Immortality is blooming also... didn't want to say nothing.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #8153498

enya nice fall blooms ,I do love that anemone,last year I had an Iris throw a late bloom,love them,need to split mine got lots...big ones..cece did you get your toy back ?? Come on over I will share all my toys ,my dh wont play with them,he says they are my toys and he is ok with NOT playing with them...Go Figure !!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 13, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8153923

Is 'Immortality' a rebloomer or just a late bloomer? That pure white is quite striking this time of year. And I really like the white Anemone. Have been meaning to get one - well, actually I did a couple of years ago but planted it in a very hostile spot and it disappeared.
It's actually raining here this morning! I even heard thunder. I was planning on going out to replant the foundation bed today but I'd much rather have the rain. Plus it will help the dirt settle a little more before I finish the grading. I am faced with a dilemma though. I'm so used to planting in amended clay and now I have some of the foundation sand and pulverized powdery native clay mixed in with my little bit of top soil creating a much fluffier mix. I'm not used to that. I may run down to Menard's to see what I can find to build a little more nutritional structure - maybe some bagged composted manure. I'm so looking forward to actually digging holes in this stuff. Still have a little bit of work to do on one end of the bed where the little gas line to the gas lamp in the front yard was accidentally cut when I was trying to dig up a Hosta before the real digging started. The line was buried kinda shallow so now we have the opportunity to bury it deeper.
hugger - the L-shaped foundation area was only about 13 feet long so that wasn't quite so bad. We used crushed stone rather than pea gravel. We also used a new system of dimple board on top of the roll-on coating so that we never have to dig up that area again for drainage issues.
Sorry for rambling on.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 13, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #8154430

Its so nice to see a lovely yellow SDF iris blooming now.

"Fad"

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2010
4:21 AM

Post #8155169

aHH yes got some of that much needed rain,could use a bit more ,I will take what we got though !! Cindy all my beds started out yellow clay some blue i added and added peat ,composted anything,straw ,leaves ,hardwood mulch,sand, sometimes black dirt or just nice sandy dirt,we would get a load hauled in ,I would chop up clay add and add, I just brought home a bail of peat saturday used over 1/2 allready . Glad you are about finished with your foundation project,sounds like you did it right.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010

Post #8155239

Yes Immortality is a a re-bloomer. Mine blooms June and then again mid-Sept. There is still a hint of bloom on them yet. Rather the last time I looked any way.
enya_34
Madison, WI

October 14, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8155567

Maxine, beautiful deep yellow and lots of blooms! I love yellow in the fall. It gives things such a sunny punch.
I have a yellow mum bush, but the trash collector dropped the garbage container on it. Had no idea mums are so fragile: half of the bush is gone, just snapped, and the other half lost the budding tips :( I am wiser now and am putting the trash container oh the other side of the driveway.

It is the first year Jap. Amemone is blooming so much for me. I like it for it's so sad to see things go... I have an earlier blooming one, pink. Got it at one of the UMW RUs. It's a better grower and a profuse bloomer. It's a single not double and drops petals before they turn yacky. So romantic to walk the steps to the house sprinkled with pink petals. Divided it earlier and moved a piece to where it gets more sun hoping to get more flowers.

I feel the garden needs rain at this point, even thought I am not happy to see the sky cry for the summer's gone yet.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 14, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8155598

Brought out the sprinkler and am watering as the ground is too dry to pull weeds. I am trimming back my peonies though.
Nice weather, not too hot to weed or do other things out side.

Maxine

enya, I also have a white Jap. anemone and will be looking for a pink and possibly a db. when we go to Madison for RU out at ? Shoot, brain left , what little I had.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8156054

My sun room this morning.

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #8156057

and this

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #8156059

this one...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #8156061

this one

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #8156065

And a closeup of Wretched Mess' bloom. She's a double white brugmansia and still needs the second skirt to open fully. Can't wait till it is completely open

Thumbnail by cececoogan

wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #8156094

thanks for all those beautiful photos you lucky northerners who outnumber the bugs.

enya, Oct12, 1:52,
what is that succulent looking plant next to the crocus?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 14, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #8156225

cece - You just may be enabling me to try a Brug! Beautiful pics.
And those yellow Iris are gorgeous.
hugger - I've done the hardwood mulch thing myself. I only put down mulch every couple of years and I dig in the old stuff before topping off with the new. Next year is mulch year (if I can ever stop rearranging plants!). I did get half the bed planted today after digging in some composted cow manure. I know, not a lot of nutrition but every little bit helps. I'm also emptying the potting soil from this year's potted annuals. Not that I want to put Miracle Grow in the beds but I figure that the fertilizer is just about caput so it's the peat moss I'm after. Everything got a good dose of sea kelp solution as well. As for the rain - quite a disappointment. Hydrangeas are still wilted. Not another chance of rain until next week so it looks like I'll be watering again tomorrow. Sigh.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2010
2:59 AM

Post #8156846

Cece,wow you must love those brugs,you have a lot of them.Now I ll want my screen room winterized so i can fill it up with brugs and mandevilles !!!! OH Enya ,I remember finding out how fragile mums can be ,and heartbreaking sorry for your loss.Ive got some new mums to plant Iam dreading it,hoping not to break any stems !!! did you make a bouquet out of them ,mums make great fresh cut flowers
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 15, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8157232

I do like mums in the fall. I even like their fragrance and different types do smell different. I received a small division of 'Hillside Sheffield Pink' years ago and it has to be the most-divided plant in my garden. While it grows somewhat restrained here (only partial sun), it blooms riotously down in DD's garden in TN. And the cut flowers last for at least a week. Of course, it's now been botanically reclassified but I still think of it as a mum. The only other one I grow is a plain ole white one I found in the ground here when we moved in 20+ years ago. It was a spindly two-stemmed thing that now is growing in several places. These two have made up a last-minute bridal bouquet years ago as well.
frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #8157256

Aconitum just starting to bloom

Thumbnail by frahnzone5

frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #8157259

shrub rose and Asclepsias curassivica (Scarlet Milkweed). Nice color combo for fall

Thumbnail by frahnzone5

enya_34
Madison, WI

October 15, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8157371

Maxine,
I can be sure that the pink one will have off springs because I have seen a couple of offshoots when was raking the leaves. The double one is not a grower it seems, at least for me. It has not increased in size in 3 years. At least it bloomed this year. Let's talk come spring.

wormfood,
It's a sedum. It looks like camchutkum, but it's not as aggressive and it blooms pink not yellow.

CindyMzone5,
What kind of mums do you grow? I never noticed much smell on mine.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2010 11:08 AM
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8157633

thank you
enya_34
Madison, WI

October 15, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8157784

I love that Aconitum. Every time I see them I remember my gran's garden and the time when I caught my first bumblebee. They would dive into the flowers and almost disappear in them. So one time I bravely grabbed the flower with the insect inside, but got stung and since then would always first look inside the flowers before touching them :)
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 15, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #8158324

I only grow the two - a plain old white mum that probably started life as a potted mum and 'Hillside Sheffield Pink'. It's more the foliage that has the scent rather than the flowers. Isn't that the case with most mums? DD's 'HSP' in TN blooms a couple of weeks before mine.
frahn - nice Aconitum blooms. My two bloom earlier in summer rather than in the fall. Good thing too this year as they've melted in the dry hot summer.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2010
2:48 AM

Post #8158564

nice blooms Frahn,i have a few things trying hang in with the drought,I will have to take photos today.I have been watering a bit ,need to pull a few weeds after I water !!! been busy collecting seed .
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #8161820

I missed the camera chat. I have an EasyShare, too, and it's well loved. It generally takes very good closeups and outdoor shots. I'm less impressed with its indoor performance, but it's still very good. For a relatively inexpensive point-and-shoot it's been great, although I guess mine's getting a little "old" with its 6.0 megapixels.;)

The next camera on my radar is the Panasonic Lumix FZ40. I've read a ton of camera reviews and this one stands out. Then I think I'll take a digital photography class. :)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8161908

Kayly ,I have a panisonic lumix tz5 10 op zoom,I should have researched more... I do have that warranty !!!!! I could not destroy my camera on pourpose though,I do like it...But i loved My 1st Kodak easyshare,it just up and died,turn it on it turned right back off...They could not repair it = { i too could really benitfit from a class ,and a class on what or how to store or save photos soo Iam not loading my pc down .Like it is now...! 1000s of photos ackkkk

This message was edited Oct 18, 2010 8:12 AM
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 18, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #8162532

Lavender Monkshood blooming now. Very late this yr.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 18, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #8162719

Maxine - Nice! I love the blues and lavenders in the fall.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 19, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #8163750

Cindy, I love them any time. My favorite colors, I think?

Maxine
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 19, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8164090

I am such a sucker for blues and lavenders. All of the other flower colors in my garden are just complimentary for them.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
2:22 AM

Post #8165618

My favorite colors also Maxine. Anything blue, lavender purple I just go nuts over.
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #8166554

I had to get out my EasyShare after work today, and take pictures of all the beautiful flowers. I almost got blown away (by the 27 mph winds and the beautiful flowers). I can't believe everything is still flowering. Today is my daughter's 25th birthday (no one do the math), and there have only been two years that it hasn't snowed before her birthday. Now, this is the third year. It's 69 degrees right now. Unbelievable! Anyway, here goes the slide show.
Heliotrope 'scentopia'

busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8166555

Rose 'Yellow Brick Road'

busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #8166558

Rose 'Sweet Fragrance'

busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #8166560

Rose NOID

busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #8166565

Last one. Are anyone's marigolds big? Mine are huge. They have never been this big before. This is a plain old 'Durango Orange' in my hand.

enya_34
Madison, WI

October 20, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #8166659

Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures with us. What a wonderful explosion of color!
frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8166788

Great pictures. I especially love the yellow rose. So sad it will all go away very soon! BooHoo.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #8167457

Busy,Glad you are having an Indian summer enjoy !!! Here are a few shots from here.This is my $2 rose bush 2nd season,seems to be very happy

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #8167476

Just some mums ,been busy moving plants,dug lilybed ,replanted after I ammended the soil ,did this area also.Busy I have just started growing marigolds ,yours is beautiful .Iam loving them now...Ive collected seed .

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #8167488

This was my favorite pot this year,all leftover plants made a great accidental combo

Thumbnail by huggergirl

busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #8167617

Hugger, I love your container. Such good colors that carry over to the fall. It looks like you have a Callie, Bacopia, Marigold, Angelonia?, and is there a pansy peeking out in the middle? My containers have all bit the dust.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8167641

I took this yesterday... Oct 20th -- I've been gone all 'growing season' and i'm sure i missed A LOT of beauty...

It's Bonfire Salvia
S. xHybrid "Mesa Purple"
Silky Gold Milkweed
-- in the background is
NE Asters and some Rudbeckias

Terese

Thumbnail by tcs1366

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8167644

WOW - Tamara, that accidental combo is just fabulous!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8167654

frahnzone5 wrote:shrub rose and Asclepsias curassivica (Scarlet Milkweed). Nice color combo for fall

Felisa -- very pretty... and dont mean to nitpick, but that is Silky Gold, not Scarlet... just in case you are harvesting seeds and dont label them incorrectly.

Glad to see you got the Silky to bloom... I find they are more difficult thanthe Scarlets.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #8167662

enya_34 wrote:Chinese Aster. I brought a whole bunch of them to the RU, but nobody was interested so now I have lots of
them blooming in one spot.

Oh Heck Enya ... you need to pimp your plants more.. .I would have taken one.
Though i was very choosy this year, as i did not want to go home with a car full of plants.
Took me until Sept to get the ones Marie gave me... **hangs head in shame**

I got Cherry Berry from someone, and it bloomed nicely... I grabbed the 3 spent blooms and hope to get some seeds off them.
I just got home yesterday after being up North since May.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 21, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8167689

Hey tcs, that is "Cherry Brandy" and I brought it to the RU.

Maxine

If you don't get seeds, let me know?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 21, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #8167749

Oh my - such beautiful flowers this late in the year! The lack of rain here has not encouraged too many flowers this fall. Thanks for posting all of those beauties - gives me a goal for next year!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #8167867

Thanks Max -- I knew it was Cherry something... Is it normally a short plant? mine only got about 6" tall ... but nice big blooms.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 21, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #8167918

Not really, but that is probably because it was the first yr.
Mine this yr. were from 16 to 18" tall and really spread out with many branches. Much more than the previous yr.

Maxine

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #8168011

Ah -- good , so it's a perennial.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 21, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8168298

Yes!

Maxine
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #8169077

I got some of those too,thanks Maxine doing well ,I just moved them.I was spose to save some seed for you from my blue delphinium,well I missed the boat ..when I cked for seed pods there werent any to speak of or they were puny ,it has been soo dry maybe the seed pods didnt mature and dried out.Sorry I didnt get seed .so what do chinese asters look like ??? and color?? I have wild asters white and light lav. growing in the woods ,and I planted pink henry and Days ,I know nothing about them !!!! I figure treat them like a mum ...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #8187703

I'm surprised at some of the plants i still have blooming...

in this image there is...

Silky Gold A.curassavica
Spider Red Zinnia
Dakoda Mock Vervain
Sedum Autumn Joy
Bonfire Salvia coccinea

Thumbnail by tcs1366

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #8189626

My impatiens, which I stopped watering ages ago and presumed had died (though I was too lazy to pull them out of their containers) threw a single bloom today. Sometimes plants really amaze me. :)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #8189668

My pansies with their cute little faces are still blooming away as are my Knock out Roses. Amazed, that is what I am. Amazed.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #8189888

wish I would have summer sowed some pansies and violas ,I wont pay the High price for them,,ARGG ,they charge so much for them no one will buy them then they just sit there and die,I hate that...Pet peeve... This is a $2 rose bush the last surge of blooms 31 of them ,it produced almost 100 blooms this summer in 3 bursts

This message was edited Nov 2, 2010 7:08 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #8189937

ooooohh pretty
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #8189970

Thank you it was a great investment !!!! LOL Actually I was trying to prove a point to myself,you dont need to buy JP roses to have tons of roses.
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #8190303

The roses, mums, and grasses are spectacular this year -- this photo was taken Oct. 23 -- since we had a hard frost last week, the blooms are fading quickly -- Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #8190510

Beautiful photo Dax!!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #8190578

That is a gorgeous scene, Dax!
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #8190605

Thanks -- here's one of mums, marigolds, and japanese forest grass - they were gorgeous just last week -- Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8190856

After four nights in the 20s, everything is dead and brown here. Nothing is flowering. Then I remembered my heucheras are still pretty. Georgia Peach, Autumn Leaves, and Sweet Tea Heucherella are beautiful reds and oranges. This is the first year that I have grown 'Miracle', and I wasn't to impressed. It was green all summer, but with the cold weather the leaves are starting to show color. I'm starting to like it better. Here's a picture.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #8191723

dax ,beautiful show.busy I think those are pretty i like the lime green

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #8199388

Maxine wrote:Hey tcs, that is "Cherry Brandy" and I brought it to the RU.

Maxine

If you don't get seeds, let me know?

Hi'ya Maxine...

I just googled it in Plantfiles so i could write down the info... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/180421/
and it shows it's an annual

Oh -- but Park Seeds says z5-8

guess i will see what happens.

I have it planted up in z4.. I did get seeds, so i'll try again -- WS some and plant them at home too.

Time will tell.

Thanks again for that little cutie.

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8199990

The kids and I went out and raked all the red maple leaves today. (One annoying thing about red maples is that they're the last to drop their leaves, it seems. I still have quite a few on the tree!) As I gently pulled leaves out of one of my small beds I found echinacea 'Fatal Attraction' with one small bloom and two buds--it was hiding beneath all the leaves, so the frost never nipped it. Maybe I'll get a photo. We're supposed to have warm weather and sunshine all week, so who knows? Perhaps those other two buds will bloom yet. :)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #8200565

i had some purple cones do that had cut them back a while ago ,2 pretty lil buds appeared then bloomed

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #8200611

I too have found a coupla little ones out back... but i have no idea which coneflower they are.

a few yrs back, i just tossed [direct sown] a wild flower mix... LOTS of sweet wm and lots of weeds, as that area has been neglected. hope to change that for next year, as i found Echinaceas back there...
and i gotta get rid of the ditch lilies. Uggggg.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #8200646

oH i hear That,ditch lillys,had them a long time ago,just started mowing them over,that worked,grass took over ,Thats what I wanted,they were at the end of the drive on both sides,I had put them there...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #8200659

they would be so bad if they did not multiply like crazy.

I just know i have a lot of work ahead of me come March... hope Mom Nature cooperates.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #8202349

I caught myself thinking about march too ,we cant slow down can we!!! lol

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2010
3:18 AM

Post #8202359

Uh I've been keeping track of the time till then, 5 months and 11 days.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2010
3:31 AM

Post #8202371

OMG cece lol...you are going to have spring fever all winter...

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8202543

Can't be helped. Turned the darn clocks back and I got all depressed. Dark in the morning and dark by 4, 4:30. Not fair, I tell you, just not fair.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #8202553

i know ,I just wish they would leave it be like we used to,we just started doing the fall back and spring ahead what 3 years ago /? This is what time it used to be all the time for us..i hate in the summer is not dark till 10:00pm,and dark in the morning ???
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 9, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #8202629

The older I get (or is the more I'm outdoors?), the harder it is to adjust to the time change. Now I'm awake before the alarm goes off. Normally I'm hitting that snooze button (at least during the warmer months).
My potted dragon wing begonia is still blooming and didn't turn to complete mush when it got hit with snow a couple of nights ago even though the Coleus and impatiens have now officially surrendered for the year. I must say that the begonia is becoming my favorite potted annual. It seems to hold up to my neglect and the heat.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America