-
AuthorContent
kamelonious
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #8084762

A few years back, my mother brought back two lily of the valley plants back to Kentucky from her grandmother's house in Wisconsin. It has spread quite a bit in the past years, but today I noticed something on them when I was there that I hadn't ever seen on them before - instead of little white bells, there were red seed-looking things hanging from one of them!

I'm a little confused as to whether the red is a seed pod or if i need to wait longer for them to turn another color. I'd love to start some again if possible.

(the flash on my camera may have made them look a bit more orange than they are)

Thumbnail by kamelonious
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kamelonious
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #8087509

no one? :(
22miracles
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8087622

These are seeds rather than buds--especially this time of year. Where I live (Washington) wonderful, fragrant Lily Of The Valley bloom in late spring. I'm not sure how many of the seeds sprout because there is enough activity by underground spreading. In the 20 years we've had our patch, it has never spread to a different area like other things do when the birds eat them.
kamelonious
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #8087856

Oh I'm familiar with the blooms in spring :) they're gorgeous - but not all of them seem to bloom every year, which is another question entirely.

I just didn't know how mature those seeds were because I hadn't ever seen them on there before :) But I'm guessing from your response that they may be mature enough to pluck and try starting elsewhere?
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #8091224

The seed pods will turn brown and become dry when the seeds are ready to be collected.

But there is little point starting these from seed when they spread so prolifically from the stolons (roots)... why not just dig up a few bits and plant them where you want them? It'll save a great deal of time and effort.
kamelonious
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8091487

I was thinking I'd rather do a cutting bc they grow so thick and my mom's could probably use a bit of cleaning up anyway...

Is there any reason that they don't all bloom though? There are easily 15-20 of them now and only 2 or 3 seem to ever do anything at all, which is kinda disappointing.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #8092895

Again, there is really no reason to do cuttings, when they spread so prolifically from the stolons (roots)! Why not just dig up a few bits and plant them where you want them? It'll save a great deal of time and effort.

If they are in a very shady area, they will be less inclined to bloom.
kamelonious
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #8092950

ahh thats what I meant! sorry lol. had cuttings on my mind from my passion vine :)

Okay, maybe I'll see if I can convince her to move them to a less shady area!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America