-
AuthorContent
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8093272

Who of you has grown potatoes from true seeds, like tomatoes? I am looking for quality heirloom true potato seeds. They do exist and the breeding is quite different than most vegetables.
turtleheart
Wexford, PA

July 3, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8669212

i have some. ill be vastly expanding my bank soon. would you like to be trade buddies?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8680069

Thanks! Have you started any yet? I got a few and they seem rather slow to start.

Where did you get yours and how are they doing?
turtleheart
Wexford, PA

July 9, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8681604

they are from potatoes i have grown. i wanted to hybridize the ozette from makah with purple peruvian from quechua, for more hardy perennial potatoes, and for more late blight resistance. i got some fruit but not enough to reliably cross so i just have some mystery seed. i actually recently get a good contact for true seed, and may diversify my bank so ill let you know about that. since its too late for this year anyway, let me see if i cant get more seed for fall to send you.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8682336

When do you start your seeds? If you go to the Tomatoville website, they have a section that is for growing potatoes. Have you gone there yet?
turtleheart
Wexford, PA

August 7, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8742385

early spring, i start them like tomatoes but they need more UV to not be as leggy. think about the thin air and harsh sun of the mountains they are native to. plant them in concave beds to you can continually top dress and bury the lower parts of the plant untill its convex and mounded. then you will have a larger crown of tubers from the first year seed instead of trying to just get a few green surface tubers from a seed. http://tatermaterseeds.com/category/videos/ has some videos of tom wagner explaining it.
turtleheart
Wexford, PA

August 7, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8742419

i went to tomatoville and they cut off my message function for asking for seed trade with someone which is within my culture a compliment and encouraged. in my culture you can have movement of seeds and we recognize it strengthens us, but americans want to control their biological material, and the rest of the worlds. say who gets to live and die, what deserves to exist, and who doesnt get granted access to american science or the future of an unstable project. tomatoville showed me they are part of a long standing tradition of keeping the sciences inbred and controlled by a small group. they have refused to tell me why they are discriminating against me on that board after months of my trying to contact them, with no response, which is disrespectful and racist. its a continuation of a very ugly trend. they just take the seeds and deny access to their futures. they should honor the people who bred the seeds, all the genes they have ever worked with, for 10 thousand years before their nation even existed. all i asked for was a seed trade. oopty wopty, cant winnem all!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 3:43 PM

This message was edited Aug 17, 2011 8:51 AM
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8744084

turtleheart ~ That part of Tomatoville is run by Tom Wagner, so what was the problem? Maybe you were not a member long enough to have the messaging, as you have to be a member for 3 months or so, I do believe, but I am not sure. I think you may have jumped to the wrong conclusion though I may be mistaken. Have you asked Tom about it? He seems to be a fair guy who has worked hard all his life for the potato breeding.

I agree with you on the large corporations buying up all the seed houses so few can get heirloom seeds in general. It is not just Americans, but those in power attempting to control all the seeds so people would be forced to buy theirs. It is the same in many industries and that is why I support organic gardening, open-pollinated seeds and free trade on the internet.

If you go to cubits.org, there is a fellow named Joseph who also grows potatoes from seed. It is rare to find these seeds, so please do not give up. Are you young or old? I am almost 70 so I cannot grow a whole field of potatoes, but do grow a few in my limited garden space. Even Park Seed had some potato seeds, but none germinated for me, only Joseph's.
turtleheart
Wexford, PA

August 22, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8770424

i may be mistaken. after all who can say what is really going on behind all this computer mess anyhow. i wish in the months of trying to contact many members of that organization that one of them may have responded one time to let me know what was going on. unfortunately i have no idea what is going on and i still cant message people.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8770982

Do you have the same screenname - turtleheart? I will go there and look if you like. LMK.

Evelyn
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9188240

My potatoes, some varieties more than others, make seeds every year. I just toss them back on the beds, I never thought about saving and planting them.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9330270

I'd looked at ordering some potato seeds, if anyone has some to share, I just got a great selection of veggie seeds from Baker Creek, and would be happy to trade.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 21 Jul 29, 2007 8:56 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America