Photo by Melody

Vines and Climbers: ugly ol' car shed needs help - trumpet vine?

Communities > Forums > Vines and Climbers
bookmark
Forum: Vines and ClimbersReplies: 10, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #8094316

I posted this over on the Carolina thread... but would appreciate your input here also. I want to cover this car shed with a vine, preferably flowering and evergreen. There is nothing nearby to protect from an invasive vine... I am considering trumpet... or smilax (sp?) Need to know more about both.

I'm going to look in our woods to see if anything native might work. But need input please. This thing is just screaming for a vine!

I'm in Zone 7.

Looking in www.namethatplant.net for vines that might be helpful. Great site.

Thanks, Linny

This message was edited Sep 12, 2010 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by Linny1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #8097911

Are you planning on tossing a net or something over the top so the vines can grabbed ahold of something so they can start climbing every which way?

Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #8097939

I personally wouldn't do trumpet vine. The pods would need to be gathered so you don't start a neighborhood invasion and I would think it would be awkard to try to get the pods off the top of the carport.

These vines should be good for your area. It doesn't list whether they are evergreen.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-633.html
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8131303

The one that has covered the base of my deck this summer with huge green leaves and a gazillion blue and purple flowers (nicely scented) is common passion flower. I got it as seed from Beckygardener in 2007, and it WILL come back for sure because there are a gazillion seed pods as well (pods look like and are the size of large limes and are easy enough to pick up but don't forget em). The plants have needed to be cut back with scissors twice so they didn't continue to creep across the top of the deck, but the bees and hummers love it and it gave much privacy. I'm not sure it would be ever green in your zone or not. It was very hardy in zone 9 unless there was a frost or a succession of cold nights, then it hung like a wash on the line, but was easy enough to pull back and start over. Others I've used were various morning glories and moonflowers. They also have their reseeding blessing or curse, as you see it.
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8131909

Thanks, Pam. Passion Flower is exactly what I've got going. It was already there, just needed to be staked up in the right direction. It is maybe 10 feet from the shed, but I think if I will just be patient, it will do the job. Several separate plants are going great guns.

Linny

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8160450

Stay away from smilax, trumpet vines have their own problems, like honeysuckles, wisterias, or nite bloomin jasmine, and you might not want to have to battle the bees to use your vehicle, chuckl, I love climbing roses, but plant far enuff away from the shed you wont get snagged by the little bloodthirsty thorns, :)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 17, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #8161441

confederate jasmine or carolina jessamine

does well in all kinds of conditions - including drought once established.

Not too bad with the bees either

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #8162695

missingrosie - that is a gorgeous photo.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 18, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8163038

Thanks Dawn. That is the Carolina Jessamine. It stays in bloom for quite a long while. I have seen it really full and heavy but that one on the arbor doesn't really get heavy with blooms.
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #8163893

Thanks, mising rosie, that Carolina Jessamine is gorgeous, as is the photo.

Linny
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 19, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #8164495

Maybe it will work for you can also be grown in a pot to climb up your poles.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vines and Climbers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
air potato - Discorea bulbifera euphorbrom 7 Jun 13, 2012 7:59 PM
Mexican Flame Vine Aimee 11 Jun 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Dutchman's Pipe! golddog 15 Jan 10, 2008 6:14 AM
Speaking of Wisteria... hpluver 27 Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM
confederate jasmine dixiechick 9 Jun 1, 2008 5:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America