Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ingridg
Saint Augustine, FL

September 12, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8094563

Help, my veggie garden seems to have been invaded by small, tiny white gnats. Pesticides did nothing and I'm trying some soapy water and that is helping... but they keep coming back. I'm afraid they are killing some of my smaller starter plants. I've never had this problem before. Any suggestions? I'm in Florida and just started my fall garden a few weeks ago.
ingridg
Saint Augustine, FL

September 12, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #8094626

Here is a photo of the gnat - closest I could get.

Thumbnail by ingridg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #8096733

Those look like the ones that attacked my brocolli last year. Are they called spider mites?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #8097778

Those aren't spider mites. Mites don't fly. Could they be white flies?
ingridg
Saint Augustine, FL

September 14, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8099621

Yes, 1lisac, I emailed the guy from the local horticultural center (he answers questions in the paper) and he said that they were white flies. Went and found an oil based spray - sprayed yesterday and it helped a lot. But he says you have to be consistent to get them all. They suck on the tender new growth of a plant. There were tons of them, less today, but I will spray again tomorrow. He said soapy water works, but that you have to hit the fly to kill them, so it's hard to get them all. The oil is supposed to keep them leaving more eggs and suffocate the live flies. They are killing my baby bok choi and brussel sprouts - I hope this works.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8099625

Good luck. Don't spray anything oil based in the heat of the day, or you will have stir-fry before it ever leaves the garden.
greenstubbs
Vacaville, CA

September 28, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #8125913

White flies are nasty and a PITA to get rid of! The only real way to get rid of them is a deep freeze for a few days. My neighbors bushes were really infested with them and started to move into my garden. I had to get the county pest control man involved, they finally just leveled the bushes and hauled them to the dump. Check other bushes and plants for them and find where they are comming from. If anything has this white silky looking stuff comming off them and the flies sitting on the bottom of the leaf, you've got a problem. If you spray, they will just fly off and hang somewhere else till the dust clears and then come back. Just pray for some hard cold weather!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America