Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant): Alternative "ornamental" pear trees

Communities > Forums > Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)Replies: 2, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
malcolm2942
Mississauga
Canada

September 13, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8096353

In the last few years, ornamental pears have become very popular in this area (southern Ontario) and most of those in my neighbour's yards are doing very well in our heavy clay soil, looking shapely and especially attractive in the spring. However, does anyone have longer term experience with varieties OTHER than Bradford, such as Chanticleer and Capital? Do these have the same longer term drawbacks that Deb describes so well for her Bradfords? I have to replace a diseased columnar Norway maple that was a legacy from the former owner of my home, and an ornamental pear was one option I was considering, Now I am not so sure.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8106749

Malcolm, Your native Canadian trees are the best choices. You might check your local horticulture extension, and find someone who knows all about the native trees. Also look around and even photograph older trees that you like and identify them. Sure you have some beautiful flowering trees to choose from, and you'll be glad for taking the extra time to decide.
delbertyoung56m
Medina, NY

November 11, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8886456

Try a Serviceberry Tree, which will grow to about 25-35 ft tall, and are native to our woods around here - Western New York. Serviceberries have nice white flowers in the Spring. Also the fruit is quite delicious.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
reminds me of the Norway Maple! carrielamont 4 Feb 27, 2008 8:03 PM
Great Article! JanetS 2 Oct 15, 2007 2:41 AM
New Start LouC 15 Sep 18, 2010 7:37 PM
Super informative - thanks! Dea 7 Oct 17, 2007 1:40 PM
trinity pear cathy4 1 Oct 14, 2007 6:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America