Photo by Melody

Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions: Resolutions for Spring Bulbs

Communities > Forums > Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutionsReplies: 3, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8096924

Another winning reminder, Carrie. Those catalogues arrive and tempt the dickens out of you! As I think I mentioned to you before, I've moved to North Carolina and am starting a brand new garden here. The problem is it's not scads of space (two raised beds in an enclosed backyard) and I have to keep reminding myself to prioritize my wish list. You are right on - color first. Since I am using mostly pinks, with some violet and purple accents, I have to reject a lot of what the catalogues hold, color-wise. I'm also not nuts about the straggly look of the foliage you need to abide to have prospering tulips, hyacinths, etc., so I've limited myself to alliums and lilies. I'm hoping my other perennials will cover their "ripening" foliage. In any case, there'll always be next year if I have a different hankering.

Now back to the garden to plant the camellia and callicarpa I just bought, and to do a rain dance. We've had unbelievably HOT weather and zippo rain. I am holding my breath for the things I've already planted. Wish they sold SPF 70 wraps for plants like they do for people!

Suzanne

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8097293

Good luck with your rain dance, Suzanne! I've heard lots of plans for covering bulb foliage with perennials - I'mm not sure I've ever seen it carried off totally successfully... but have a lovely time designing your new garden. You might want to check my other articles if you haven't already: I wrote one about color schemes (I think you read that one) but I also wrote one about hiding bulbs in your yard that you might find interesting. Happy Gardening!
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8100646

Carrie, I'll look for the article on hiding bulbs. Thanks for the heads-up on it. PS, I planted Geranium Rozanne and it is quite "purply" but lovely. I believe you have this as well.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #8106935

Yes, it was not as blue as I had been led to believe but still lovely, all the color shadings in the petals!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2451/

This message was edited Sep 19, 2010 12:02 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yep! the1pony 3 Aug 12, 2009 2:52 PM
Every bit my Mother! NEILMUIR1 5 Aug 13, 2009 1:24 PM
Good advice Hemophobic 10 Aug 13, 2009 12:54 AM
now if we'll only listen... DiggerDee 7 Oct 26, 2011 8:12 AM
Party Pooper dahlianut 17 Oct 26, 2011 9:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America