Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!: The Final Solution

Communities > Forums > Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!Replies: 2, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

September 13, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #8097084

I had a friend Walter in San Francisco with a severe gopher problem. His entire front yard, which was on a slight upslope behind a low retaining wall, was riddled with gopher holes. He tried poison bait, flooding, gas, traps to no avail. The gophers merely laughed at him from a convenient nearby hillock.

Walter was a chemist so he decided to try "better living through----" He brought a bar of sodium home from the lab one sunny weekend. He sliced the bar into gopher-tunnel sized pieces, shoved them down random holes, and then flooded the burrows with his garden hose.

A few moments later, with a giant rumbling "phoom," his lawn blew up.

It was Saturday morning in an Italian district so all his neighbors were out working in their yards. Silence fell as pieces of Walter's real estate fell back to earth. You could hear a pin drop for at least five minutes.

It took Walter over a year to refurbish the front sod. The gophers, disgusted, moved to his back yard.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8098264

Oh that is too funny!!!!
betty23
Irvine, CA

September 14, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8099690

oh! please I have a new home with the side and the back facing the mountain. I don't have the landscaping yet, and is all dirt around. A few weeks ago I started to see holes all around and I tried everything. Not the traps because is very expensive. I have almost hundreds of holes. Also I tried the dish soap with the castor oil. I am afraid to start the landscaping. Tell me exactly what to do. I don't know where to find the bar of sodium. How to handle? It has another name? Please tell me how much, how frequently. Explain me step by step, I am desperate. Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
dear little creatures Fitsy 0 May 5, 2008 11:51 AM
take black-eyed susans off your list blackthumb1101 2 Jun 22, 2008 3:03 AM
rabbits eat more on this list! artinthegarden 13 Sep 17, 2010 9:24 AM
Deer Resistant plants always of interest tabasco 1 Sep 13, 2010 6:08 AM
Bushy tails, rats on stilts & voles al448789 1 May 6, 2008 1:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America