Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Aunt Bett and the Delicate Art of Swooning: Borage: ...does borage grow wild?

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett and the Delicate Art of Swooning: Borage
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett and the Delicate Art of Swooning: BorageReplies: 7, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bookwormer401
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #8097489

Another great read - as usual, highly entertaining - and I learned some things, also!
My sister-in-law told me a week ago that a naturopath told her to rub borage oil on her varicose veins, and here you Aunt Bett knew all along!
Is there any chance that this plant grows wild? We have something in our woods here in Oregon that looks VERY similar, but I figured it was a perennial. But the plant we have isn't my favorite, because the beautiful blue blooms turn to burs in the end - what did the seeds look like??
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #8097991

Hi Bookwormer,

The seeds are tiny and sort of black/gray, and if you open those seed pods I think that's what you'll find. They self seed really easily, and if yours is a milder climate they'll spread easily too. So yes, it can grow wild. The plant is not native, but has been around long enough to naturalize, and in some places it might be considered invasive, not sure about that.

But it's a good companion plant, should keep the hornworms off your tomato, and it's supposed to be good to plant with beans and probably other things as well. Seems to me we had it growing near the strawberries, too.

I'll bet if you google 'Borage Seeds image' you might find a photo of them.

Thanks for writing, it's good to hear from you.
bookwormer401
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #8099265

Thank you for your response - I did find lots of photos - I guess what I have is something else, although pretty similar in some ways! I'll try to attach a photo...
Thanks for adding 'companion' plant info. I will say that it does seem to be deer-resistant! : )

This message was edited Sep 14, 2010 2:57 PM

Thumbnail by bookwormer401
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8099479

Oh...looks like forget me nots...
Don't you think so??

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forget-me-not

I saw tons of these little blue flowers when I was in Alaska.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8099482

That photo was taken by my friend Ava, whom I visited while there. There are fields of them, they grow everywhere. I think they are so pretty, but then I don't have to live with them.
bookwormer401
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #8099495

Sure looks like a match - thank you!
bookwormer401
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8099525

It seems like mine have more foilage, and more of a drooping habit with the blossoms, but I can see now that this must be what they are, because the blossoms look exactly right.

We have something else that I thought were forget-me-nots, much shorter, and the foilage has more rounded leaves...they bloom a little later, and are much smaller. I'll attach a photo of them, so you can see what I mean.

Thumbnail by bookwormer401

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8099551

Blue eyed grass maybe?? I'm not sure, but here's a link with a photo.

http://www.prairiefriends.org/photos/plants1.html

You could probably google it to find out more, but i also think someone here on DG wrote an article about it some time ago. You might do an article search on 'Blue eyed Grass' here and see what you find. It is smaller than forget me nots, and much smaller than borage.

I hope this helps.

Oh, you could also go into Plant Files here, and probably find more photos and information.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett and the Delicate Art of Swooning: Borage Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blue irisMA 17 Sep 22, 2010 4:21 PM
great story plantfreak78 3 Sep 7, 2010 4:15 PM
borage daphnep 7 Sep 10, 2010 9:16 AM
My favorite 3pmp 1 Sep 13, 2010 3:25 PM
Sharon, Sharon...I can't get enough!! thethorinator 4 Sep 14, 2010 5:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America