Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cannas: Two rookie questions about cannas

Communities > Forums > Cannas
bookmark
Forum: CannasReplies: 6, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

September 15, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #8100298

I grew some from seed this year. The seeds were kindly donated in a newbie packet and I don’t know what kind of cannas they’re supposed to be. The foliage was fantastic, some even growing 6 feet tall, but the flowers on every one of them were limited to skinny, string-like “petals” about 2” long at the most. Is there something special I should be doing to get the blooms I see in the photos on this forum?

Also, I have some in beds and some in pots. When I bring them in for the winter (I’m in Z5 and it’s gonna have to be soon), can I leave the potted ones in their pots, or do I have to take them out and store like I plan to for the ones in the beds?
Landperson
Santa Rosa, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8100820

This is from yet another rookie, but you might consider the possibility that you got seeds from a Canna that has those particular sorts of blooms. A lot of my favorites do; species cannas tend to.

Susan
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #8101415

there are some cannas that have the string petals.. My guess is thats what you have.. There are a few different flower shapes in cannas, only way to get a big bloom is to get a canna that has that bloom..

also yes you can leave them in pots or dig them out choice is yours
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

September 16, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #8102428

Ah ha! That makes me feel less like I goofed up somehow, knowing that they’re probably supposed to be that way! But now I must buy more of the kind that has big flowers like I see on this forum. :-) Oh, my wallet.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #8102464

Oh no get ready to spend, once you see some of the cannas available, theres no going back lol..
oldhat
Lacey, WA

October 12, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #8152192

If I leave my Cannas in their pots do I bring them in the garage and leave to dry out for the winter? Or do I occcasionally water the pot? Any help would be appreciated. New to Cannas, have two "Tropicanna Gold" and"Tropicanna" a beautiful orange. I bought the orange one when it was in bloom and the Tropicanna Gold when it was all done blooming so have to wait to see the bloom. Thank you for your help.
Oldhat
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #8152210

I think you have to water them occasionally.. I would think if the dirt dries out it will pull the moisture from the canna rhizome and once they dry out there no good..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cannas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Canna You Help? scooterbug 5 Sep 2, 2008 5:48 PM
Tropicanna Canna is sick Kell 49 May 2, 2012 9:10 PM
Resources thread - your feedback, please Terry 9 Jun 1, 2013 10:58 AM
the way i do my canna seeds phicks 14 May 22, 2007 11:09 PM
The ugly cannas bwilliams 60 Nov 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America