Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Invaders: Virginia Creeper: I Hate Virginia Creeper!!!!!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Virginia Creeper
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: Virginia CreeperReplies: 9, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #8100644

Here in Central FL it's as bad as kudzu! It's an invasive, obnoxious plant that will choke other things out of existence.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

September 15, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #8101206

It is annoying, covering spaces where I want other plants. It's as bad as weeds.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #8101397

Worse than weeds. You can get rid of most of them with Preen. Nothing gets rid of VC. You try to find the roots and pull them up, an impossibility in many spots. We've fought a 25 year battle with them; they're always winning.
bsharf
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #8109088

Virginia Creeper is winning the battle with my Canary Island Date Palm. It is rooted up in the base of the old fronds, along with the climbing ferns. I have to pull it out twice a year, or the palm would become a Virginia Creeper tree.
mango61
New London, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8109346

Virginia Creeper thrives here in NH, too, unfortunately. I spent the better part of a month this summer pulling it out of the ground and off trees it was choking out. I can't imagine wanting it or planting it unless you wanted to disguise a fence as a woody plant. And then only if the fence were alone in an otherwise empty field.
dianejnichols
Longmont, CO

September 20, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #8109391

Well, I guess I am on the opposite side of the fence. I LOVE Virginia Creeper. It used to cover the screened in porch of my great grandmother's house in NEVADA...yes, it grew beautifully in the desert where few other things would grow. I have also used it on fences in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. Now we live in Colorado in USDA Zone 5 and I have found VC grows and winters over here too. I have used it to shade a west facing front porch and on a fence in another house and now have it growing alongside of a small fiberglass waterfall in my front shade garden on the north side of our home and I have 2 started that I hope will eventually shade the south face of our home and make our family room a little cooler in the summer. So far, it sure hasn't become too invasive for me! We also recently put in a storage shed and I will probably put some on the hot south facing side of it.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8109525

Be careful, Diane. It also creeps under shingles and siding.
mgpaquin
Savannah, GA

September 20, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #8110287

Oh, gawd, don't get me started on Virginia Creeper! When we first moved from NYC to Savannah we rented a lovely house with a garden that had been neglected. Virginia Creeper everywhere... I fought that stuff for days on end, pulling it out of camellias and azaleas, out of a huge pecan tree, and off the house and porch. I wound up pulling up underground runners as thick as my wrist. Then I found where it had headed under the house... I pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and probably yanked out 150 feet of vine, all pale and creepy looking from where it had been prowling around under there looking for a place to go. It may be fine in a climate where it freezes solid during the winter, but down here it's worse than ivy.
dianejnichols
Longmont, CO

September 24, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #8119391

It does freeze here in the winter and goes completely dormant and leafless, so it's not hard to see if it's gone astray and is easy to cut then as the new growth comes out on the old wood. But thanks for the warning anyway!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8119397

In the winter it turns red, so here that's a good time to spot it and remove it if it's fairly hidden somewhere.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Virginia Creeper Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Liked the Virginia Creeper article sallyg 20 Mar 27, 2008 4:11 PM
Planted it CompostR 0 Apr 15, 2008 12:40 PM
Virginia Creeper and the Ivy League KGVA 1 May 22, 2008 10:49 PM
I itch just looking at it! susansmith 1 Jun 7, 2009 4:04 AM
Creeper by John Updike JiminRingoes 0 Sep 20, 2010 4:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America