Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 15, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #8101094

I put some daylily seeds in the fridge for two weeks, then I put them in a zip lock bag for about 4 weeks, in my widow, faces nw. Well anyway I have my seedlings in some 3" pots. I'm having trouble keeping them alive, because I don't know if I'm overwatering them or underwatering, and don't know when to plant them outside.

merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #8101400

You should post your problem on the daylily forum.

Sorry I cannot offer any other advise.

Mary
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 16, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8102061

A north-west window in the fall probably does not give enough light.
I would move them to a south window or else use fluorescent lighting if you can.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8102764

How large are your seedlings? If possible, you are going to want to get them planted fairly soon so they can get established before winter. Or were you planning on over-wintering them indoors? Don't know enough about day lilies to know if that's possible.

Are your seedlings large enough to put outdoors for some sunlight? You'll want to introduce them gradually...
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 16, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #8102888

seedlings are about 4-5 inches tall. They get enough light, I just don't know if how to water them. I know that sounds stupid, but I'm afraid I might be overwatering them.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8102990

My limited experienced with daylilies is that they are pretty hardy. I never water the ones I have in my yard, even in period of drought. However, mine are all pretty well established, so don't know too much about seedlings. Have you checked on the daylily forum?

At that size, I'd think they'd be ready to go outside soon. Are you planning on getting them in the ground before next spring? If so, I'd get them acclimated to the outdoors fairly soon--they will need time to get settled in the ground before our first frost/freeze.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #8103716

I Have seedlings that I Planted over the winter put them out side on my sunny deck & Left them . they get mother nature care all summer ,
they are in pots , & Doing very well .
as for this winter they will be right out side in the ground here is zone 5 .

roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 17, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #8104470

Thanks everyone. I'll get them outside soon.

roseycats
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #8120874

Rosey, all this advice is good. Daylilies are indeed pretty hardy. I WS some daylily seeds two years ago and they've spent the succeeding time since in pots 'cause I was lazy and couldn't decide where to put them in the ground. Last winter I just sunk the pots in the ground to over-winter them and out of 10, I lost only two over the MA winter. I'll probably plant some in the ground this fall, and leave some in their pots (sunk in the ground again.)
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 27, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #8124201

Say Cape Gardener, Thanks for the information. Sounds good to me.

rosey

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8143554

I'm very experienced at watching seedlings die inside, especially from overwatering. Once thing that might help is using a sedling mix that does NOT hold a lot of water. In other words, one that drains freely.

Maybe you wnat to start seeds in something a little more "chunky" and less fibrous. The Container Gardening forum has some threaqds that explain at length why a container may dorwn your roots if it encourages water to "perch" in the lower few inches of the pot.

Too much water means no air, which means dead or inhibited roots. I think I have seen that a lot in my seedling trays.

They speak well of "pine bark fines", sized around 1/8th" ... like 1/10" up to maybe 3/8", but not many bigger than 1/4". Coco-Puff size. Mixed with just a little Perlite and peat moss.

I'm not sure if small containers also were supposed to include finely-shredded pine bark.

What baffled me was they suggested no more than 1 part in 6-7 peat moss. It sounded like really chunky mix.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #8143576

Now I think the "around 1/8th" rule for pine bark chunks may have applied to coarser outdoor soils.
I shouldn't re-interpret what they were saying in the "Container Grdening" forum, I have no experience that way (excpet for killing lots of seedlings in shallow cells and fibrous, wet, peaty mixes.

Try this post: Post #1608726

Tapla wrote:
=============================
My Soil

I'll give two recipes. I usually make big batches.

3 parts pine bark fines
1 part sphagnum peat (not reed or sedge peat)
1-2 parts perlite
garden lime
controlled release fertilizer
micro-nutrient powder (substitute: small amount of good, composted manure

Big batch:

3 cu ft pine bark fines (1 big bag)
5 gallons peat
5 gallons perlite
1 cup lime (you can add more to small portion if needed)
2 cups CRF
1/2 cup micro-nutrient powder or 1 gal composted manure

Small batch:

3 gallons pine bark
1/2 gallon peat
1/2 gallon perlite
handful lime (careful)
1/4 cup CRF
1 tsp micro-nutrient powder or a dash of manure ;o)

============================================
roseycats
Dayton, OH

October 8, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8144919

Thanks, everyone for your information on my daylilies, but they did not make it. I have enough seeds to try the way you all have suggested so I'll try again.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America