Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Question about water lilies

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 15, Views: 203
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 15, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #8101604

I have 2 minerature water lilies both for about 3 months now. The yellow lilly has sent up 3 flowers. The first 2 appeared at the surface but never opened and eventually grew down into the pond. The third flower opened 3 days then headed downward. I also have a changable orange and it is just now making a bud and I do not know what it will do. Why do the flowers keep retreating into the depths?
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #8105456

Is your water level changing in the pond? Do you have any pictures? I am not sure I understand what you mean about it growing down.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 18, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #8105800

The water level is pretty constant. Several of the flowers appeared at the waters surface and I was sure they would open. Instead, they began to grow down into the pond away from the surface and died there. I am wondering what is keeping them from opening up.
C
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #8106085

Waterlilies are heavy feeders - do you fertilize? Also, do you know what the temps of your water is?

Typically a flower on a waterlily will last about 3 days before it dies and goes back into the pond. They are not long lasting flowers.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 18, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8106095

Ok so that makes sense but I still can't figure why some never open even a day.
C
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #8106322

How much sun is your waterlily getting?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 18, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #8106685

Pretty much full TX sun, which is a good amount. I was thinking it might be too hot for them to be happy.
C
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #8107457

I know in the past when I've had very heavy tadpole groups (and occassionally fish) they nibbled the bud stem through at the base of the plant, so the bud died before it was developed enough to bloom. My blooms, when they do actually open, only last 2 days.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 19, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8107489

No tadpoles yet so must just be new to the pond and adjusting.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #8112619

When are you going out to see if they bloomed? Mine will open in the morning, and by 3 or 4 they are closed back up. They don't stay open. Then the next morning they are open again. So if you are going out like after work or something, they could be blooming, just you are not seeing them.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 7, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #8143408

isnt that big orange goldfish or something i see in the 1st photo?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 7, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #8143580

Yes 5 feeder fish that have tripled in size in a matter of months. They don't seem to eat the lilies but I think they are eating the parrots feather. The flowers (what few I had) did bloom except the first ones they developed. I only have one of the changable flowers about to bloom right now. The pond is dirty and green and the leaves are yellowing and I need to prune off the old ones.
C
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #8155145

Do you have a filtering system? Some of my lillies took a couple years to reach the stage where they bloomed nicely, my pond is 12 years old and the lilies bloom quite nicely, seems that it just takes time for the plant to become established. Give them some time. they are worth it.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 14, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #8155686

No, none of the small ponds I have ever made had a filter. They tend to balance out and I do not mind green water. I am worried about the goldfish. In my zone 5 ponds I just let the feeder fish die off each winter and started fresh in the spring. This pond won't get that cold so they will grow and maybe one day reproduce, which I can see would be a problem.
C

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 14, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #8155917

Maybe the goldfish are eating your lilies?
helenchild
Decatur, GA

December 6, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #8247502

newtonsthirdlaw - you can count on your goldfish doing the wild thing and having tons of fry as a result!
Also after the blossoms die they go back under the water. I suppose that would be to let any seeds go down to the bottom to grow. Lily blossoms are short lived and possibly you missed them when the opened up and only notice the spent blossom retreating.
Also looking at your picture I don't see much growth. Are they really newly potted? I am thinking they might need more fertilizer.
Good luck. I love my lilies when the bloom.
Helen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America