Cow shares

Waddy, KY

I've been toying with this idea for a while now for when I retire. The place we bought a few years ago still has the bulk tank and all the pipeline equipment and milkers in a 24 stanchion barn. I don't think I'd want to get over 10-15 head which the physical plant would handle. We'd have to buy feed and some better hay as I don't have enough ground for corn or enough alfalfa to keep them happy and get the production that I'd expect from them.

We're pretty much right in the middle of a triangle between Louisville, Lexington and Cincinnati. I'm already involved in the Farmer's Markets in Lexington and Frankfort. I've heard that people are interested in unpasturized milk and this is a way to get people involved in their food. Anybody here doing this?

Janet

This thread has 25 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!