Anyone save clematis seed?

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I have two that I planted this spring without knowing anything about them. Just noticed this week that the seeds are drying on the plants. I know they won't be true to type but does anyone know if they are even fertile? Anyone have experience with these in regards to drying, stratifying, etc?

Calgary, Canada

I have not collected seeds from plants, but have purchased clematis seeds.
Depending on the type of clematis, they require different periods of warmth,
then chilling, and then back to warmth.

Go to one of the Clematis forums and ask again.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I asked at the Clematis forum with no response. I read a bit about how they are pretty complicated to germiate so I think I may just stick to simpler seeds. Thanks for responding though!

Calgary, Canada

What kind of Clematis are you growing?
I have the directions for germinating four kinds.

The easiest is clematis heracleifolia---the non climbing herbaceous one.
It just needs warmth and high humidity to germinate.
Last year I did it as a wintersow,but that was not necessary as it germinates readily in warmth.
On August 19, I spread seeds on a moist paper towel and there are lots of sprouts now at one month later.
I only obtained one plant from winter sowing, but then I do not know how fresh the seeds were.

Caroline
(story to be continued)

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

All mine are climbers. I have Mrs. N Thompson, Fireworks, and Rouge Cardinal. I believe that Mrs. N Thompson is the only one setting seed.

Calgary, Canada

I think those are all clematis macropetala.
In which case the seeds need warmth and moisture for about 4 weeks at warm ( 70F).
Then 8 weeks, still moist, at 'frig cool temperatures.
Then move back to room temperature for germination which can take 2 to 6 weeks. Keep seeds moist through to germination. I use moist paper towels,but you could use moist, sterile starter soil.
Then when they germinate,they are transplanted to pots of potting soil.

Good Luck!
Caroline

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Maybe I will give it a try. It will be fun to see what comes up. Thanks for the instructions Caroline!

Calgary, Canada

Go for it!
Growing things from seeds is fun!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have C. armandii seed from this past Spring. Any advice?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.