Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

African Violets and Gesneriads: OMG! Those invisible seeds!

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 7, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #8103419

I bought 10 Sinningia leucotricha seeds on ebay before I learned that they were very small, but still I didn't realize how small they would be. LOL! The seeds came, and they are so impossibly tiny that I wonder how the seller counted out 10 seeds. Maybe I should call him to complain about missing 1 :-)

Anyway, can anybody please tell me how to get them started? Growing them seems to be an impossible task... Or does any one have a plant to share/sell so that I can save myself the trouble of growing one? LOL.

Thanks.

Thumbnail by donnerville
Click the image for an enlarged view.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #8103470

Hey Sally!

Nice find :) Jiffy seed mix works well if you have some or can find some. If not, you can use some of your soil-less mix. Sprinkle those seeds on top of your moist (not wet) mix by folding a small piece of paper in half, place seeds in the crease and tap the seeds out. Looks like dust doesn't it? LOL!! Don't cover up the seeds but do dome them. Make sure your mix stays moist and not wet. If I need to add moisture, I will lightly mist it. That is how I do it. Everyone is different and I know that Bonnie, Lynn,Jan and Kim have put down more seeds than I have and they may do it differently. PLEASE keep me updated and good luck :)

SO funny!!!! I guess you will know you have 10 seeds if you have 10 plants 'cause I sure couldn't count them out LOL!!!!

Connie
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #8103717

The only thing I can add is it's doable but may take weeks and even months, depends on the right combination of light and temps I guess. I started those 10 seeds in June outside and got 2 sprouts, now I took the container in and got 2 more. Still not sure are they sinningias or not, no true leaves so far. But if you patient enough it will be so much fun to raise an awesome plant from something you can barely see.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #8103873

It is lots of fun.I rarely do seeds anymore,because my eyes aren't what they used to be.Some seeds may take months to sprout,where others come up right away.
donnerville,
what is the name of the lovely plant in your picture?

Lynn

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #8104000

Thanks, ladies. I will plant them this weekend. Make sure I do not breathe when I handle them LOL. Had I known the seeds were so tiny, I would have bought a lot more than just 10 :-(

Lynn, the plant in the picture is a Sinningia leucotricha. That's the one I am trying to grow from seed. I have never seen this plant, but have been looking for one for a while.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8104008

Lol...I didn't recognize it with the tall stems.It is a very pretty plant.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8106637

It also takes a couple years to bloom doesn't it? But the foliage is very nice.

I was wondering that also,...how they count out 10, ha. I have a really difficult time starting gessie seeds. but...I have a mini think it is sinningia pink pearl. Had a couple seed pods on it so I thought, what the hey...I got one of my glass w/lid containers, put in some soil, tamped it down and rubbed the seed pods (2) between my fingers over the opening of the jar. Popped on the lid and set it in a shady like window...was watering other plants one day and I noticed green in the jar...this usually means algae, ha...but they were baby plants, lots and lots of them, ha...I think everyone is making a plant...never happened before where they all sprout, wow.

Good luck with the seeds. I think if there were as many seeds in the sinn sp. l, as in mine, that they should have given you more than just 10 seeds. Ultimately you only need one plant, but hopefully they will all come up for you! Happy growing!

tish
naien
Capistrano Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #8169967

I just bought some of these on ebay as well, first time with ANYTHING Gesneriad and planted them yesterday. Definitely the smallest seeds i've seen, how does the seller know they are viable and not just chaff?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America