-
AuthorContent
americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #8104439

I have two oleanders and they are doing great. The negative thing is I live in Michigan Zone 6. I will be bringing them into a room in my basement for the winter with my hibiscus. Can I prune these before I bring them in? And I understand I do it just above three leaves, is that correct? These are just beautiful, I do know they are toxic but want to have them year after year. They are a small tree about 5-6 ft. tall. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by americanwoman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

September 17, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8104605

That's a really gorgeous Oleander you have there,is it Calypso?. I am lucky that I don't have to bring mine in here but the same would apply regarding the pruning..I prune mine here late autumn or very early winter or whenever they've finished their blooming season.Yes just above the leaf nodes.If you can,don't waste those cuttings,it would be too lovely to waste. Cut just below the leaf nodes for your cuttings.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2010 9:43 AM

This message was edited Sep 18, 2010 9:59 AM
americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #8106290

brical thank you so much for the response. I have a fairly cool room without much light in my basement and I plan on putting them there and watering sparingly during the winter. I do that with a hibiscus and a brugmansia and they come through just fine so I am hoping that this will work. Yes I believe it is Calypso. I will do as you suggest with the cuttings. Too bad you are far away or I would share!
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

September 18, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8106305

And I would take you up on it.lol
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8586053

Now it is the end of May and I didn't prune mine last fall - I only have about 6 stalks and they are about 8 ft tall - not very pretty. If I do it now will more flowers come this year?? I am in No Georgia.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8586182

I am taking cuttings all times of the year and they just grow bigger. I am sure if you cut them now they should be fine. They seem to bloom on new growth.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8586185

Here is 1 of mine 'Hardy Double Yellow'

This message was edited May 25, 2011 8:50 AM

Thumbnail by ilovejesus99

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8586187

another 'Little Red'

This message was edited May 25, 2011 8:50 AM

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8586191

and another 'Mrs George Roeding'. I really love them.

This message was edited May 25, 2011 8:49 AM

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8586200

This one is up the road from me. I take cuttings from it. Don't know the name.

Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8586428

Thank you, I really want to do it, just don't want to be "Bloomless all summer".
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8588013

Well, I did it! I then cut the stalks in 6-8" lenths and stripped off most of the leaves and stuck them in a large pot - now do the root fast? or slow? About how long should it taake for roots???
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

May 28, 2011
12:01 AM

Post #8592126

I have taken cuttings longer. I put them in water with fish charcoal to keep the water clean. I put a plastic bag over the container and watch it so there is not too much moisture or it will mold.
I don't like to leave them out side. Here in Arizona it gets colder at night by 20-30 degrees. I did just notice I have roots in one jar that is outside.
I don't think the root that fast, several weeks. Some I have never been able to root so I have to go back and get some of them again.
I don't know how thick of a cutting you should try. I have some pretty fat ones that I am trying right now because I have so many of that type.
I think water roots are fragile so be careful. I have heard that some people root cutting in sand. I prefer to watch my roots grow. If you have a lot of moisture in the container I have even gotten air rots from the cuttings.
I was amazed how much one of my little oleanders grew in the winter. I was able to take more cuttings from it than I thought.
When bringing the plants inside remember you can stack them into the other pots too.
Mine are able to stay outside and I love that. Now as I get around to it they are getting major trimming and shaping.
Don't forget to mark what your cutting are, so it as you cut. You will never remember what they are if you are working with a few cuttings.
I have a ton of plants I have no idea what they are until they flower. I don't know the name of many of mine but the heat makes a big difference on their color for me.
I will try and post some new photos soon.
I have also notices the petal shapes. I have some that look like the same plant, they color looks exact;y the same. I just notices that one has a pointed petal and the other in pointed in the middle of the petal. I will try to get photos but I am tied up for a while.
Mickey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Oleanders Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Oleander Forum! melody 7 Aug 1, 2010 9:02 AM
Show us your Oleanders brical1 46 Aug 22, 2010 11:11 PM
My special treasured seedlings brical1 43 Jul 31, 2012 8:07 PM
new forum MickeyAz 0 Aug 4, 2010 10:13 AM
New Photos-Arizona MickeyAz 3 Aug 15, 2010 1:49 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America