Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Autumn door swag help

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #8104862

Hello all! I've never posted here on this forum, but I do read through for ideas - you guys are very creative! Now I need a bit of help please.

I sell cut flowers at the farmer's market. I have an abundance of chinese lanterns, and was thinking of using them in some kind of autumn-themed door swag. I've never made a wreath in my life, lol, so I thought the swag might be easier. I also don't want to spend much, since I don't know how they will sell.

So I'm looking for ideas of what to put in them. I had a bad season to start with, and don't grow a lot of "dried flower" type flowers. I really have nothing that I can think of to put in the swags, and also, am having trouble visualizing any flowers hanging upside down in the swag, lol!

I think I can get some garlic stalks, and perhaps some cornstalks, and I found some orange berries from lily of the valley in my garden, although they are short. I guess I could figure out some way to use acorns, and leaves (although I only have oak - blah! - no maples, sadly). I also have some wild grape vine (if I can reach it in the trees, lol) but I'm not sure how I would use it - can I use the leaves too? And lastly, I have a burning bush, but would the foliage hold up for a few weeks without water...?

So, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm really jumping in blind here! And if anyone has any other ideas on how to use the chinese lanterns, please feel free to offer suggestions. Thank you!

Dee
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8116172

There's a spray you can buy that helps preserve leaves in dried arrangements. The product isn't sold for that purpose, but it works. I've had dried arrangements last for a couple years. I bought it at JoAnn's Fabrics. It's for using on silk arrangements. I'm sorry I don't have a can of it now, so I can't tell you the name, but they must still carry it at the store. I don't know what's in that stuff, it doesn't smell too good either, but it works.

My arrangement was made in the fall, so I had to pick whatever fall color looked good at the time. Some of the material I used were iris seed pods, dried astilbe flowers, spirea and dogwood branches that had turned red, dried hygrangeas, and various grass plumes. I saw the arrangement several years after I made it and my boss still had it in her dining room.

If I go to town today for groceries I will stop at JoAnn's Fabrics to find it, and will let you know the name. I may pick up a can myself. Will get back to you.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #8144425

You might consider lavender as well, it has a wonderful scent when dried and looks great hanging upside down. You can get white or blue and either would look good with the lanterns.
PT I will have to look for that spray as well I could sure use some.
Also if you have anything like eucalyptus or sage they both dry well and last forever and look good upside down.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #8145443

Thank you both again for your help. We don't have enough lavender (which is a great idea and one I will keep in mind for next year) but my friend has some of those money plants or silver dollar plants that we are going to use. We also did get some purple corn stalks, and some (I think) bittersweet berries, so I think we are all set for now. This is such a last minute project! I am going to keep some of the ideas above for next year, though, when we will have more time and hopefully more things planned out!

Thanks!
Dee

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America