Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Please Help!

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 9, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 19, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #8108576

I bought two Rhododendrons this past spring, the leaves and flower heads are dying, They are planted on the northwest side of the house. Maybe getting to much sun.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #8123124

Rhodies can withstand more sun in the northern half of the country. How much sun are we talking about and from what time to what time?

Check soil moisture as well. This tends to be an issue in the second half of the summer. Periods of wet + dry can cause the root ball to dry out.

Pests that munch on the roots can also be a cause of this problem.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

September 27, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #8124189

Hi luis, My Rhodies are new this year, and the sun they get is in the afternoon-evening We had a long hot Summer here this year, and not much rain, I did water my Rhodies every two or three days. I live in zone 5, which should not be a problem.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 16, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8375815

Looked at my Rhodies today, and they still look sick. Don't know what to do for them.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8376485

Rhodies should be planted to receive morning sun only in the summer, except in areas close to the border with Canada where they sometimes can withstand full sun. Leaves can get a scorched look when they get too much sun or when they get periods of dry soil & moist soil. Evergreen rhodies should now be sleeping so their leaves will look as they did before; therefore you will not see an improvement in the way they look until they leaf out in Spring.

The sun this time of the year will not harm the leaves much so just keep them well mulched and keep the soil evenly moist at all times when the ground is not frozen. Watering once a week or once every two weeks -depends on your soil moisture- is ok. Since they are not active now, consider this time a good time to transplant to a location where the leaves do not get afternoon sun in the hot summer months. But leave them there if you think the scorched leaves were due to moisture problems.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2011 5:08 AM
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 17, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8377115

Thanks, They are not lacking any water right now . With the allthe snow, and then with the rain we are getting right now.
I think this spring I'll just dig them up and put something else there.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8391372

They are dormant now so feel free to do this task during the winter months if possible.
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8394611

Rhododendrons can sustain root damage from heat and limp along for a few months before they show signs of dessication such as wilting.
Here are some of the more common causes of Rhododendron suffering or even death.
1 The root ball of a potted rhododendron is often growing in a circle if it is in the pot for a long time. The roots cannot reach out for the water and nutrition, and the plant is severley stressed. Before you plant, you should take the plant roots out of the pot and free them by raking them out from the tight ball.
2 There are some Rhododendrons may exist in full sun but even these do better in high shade,
3 poor drainage will easily kill a rhododendron
4 don't fertilize a newly planted rhododendron. IT has been heavilly fertilized in the Nursery you bought it from. More fertilization will burn the roots.
I hope this helps
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 27, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8395568

Thanks Arfitz, yes that does help, but I did do things wrong. My Rhododendrons sat in pots for over a month at my home before I planted them. I did not do much with the root ball either, and another bad thing I did, was I fertilized the shrubs very heavy. Clumps of the leaves would droop, so I would cut some off, and then the same thing would happen again.
It's a wonder their not completely dead yet. Hope they can be saved.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2011
12:12 AM

Post #8448690

I'm going to ditto arfitz and emphasize what he said. I massacre the rootballs when I plant mine. I go all around the rootball with a hand-held 3-pronged soil scratcher whatchamacallit.
Drainage. Don't plant them in a hole. Plant them on top of the ground (weed and grass free of course) and put a good soil for rhodies around them up to where the roots meet trunk. Mulch with pine needles. I have excellent results with this method.
If I do feel like fertilizing any of them I do it during winter or early spring and just lightly dust their root zone with cottonseed meal only. Not sure if it makes a difference but it won't burn their roots.
Also make sure you don't let the rootball dry out before it makes new roots in the surrounding soil. If you see a newly planted rhodie wilting that is more than likely the reason. The surrounding soil can be moist and the root ball dry as a bone at the same time.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America