Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Please ID Venus Flytrap. What kind is it?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 16, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 21, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #8111375

I got it from a neighbor, who supplies grocery stores produce and products. He has no Idea what type it is. I would think it's the commonly sold one, but don't know its' name.

Thumbnail by strange2u
Click the image for an enlarged view.

strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 21, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #8111378

pic 2

Thumbnail by strange2u

strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 21, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #8111381

pic 3

Thumbnail by strange2u

strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 21, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #8111382

pic 4

Thumbnail by strange2u

Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

September 21, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8111510

You might want to also post this in the Carnivorous plants forum.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/redmeatoffthebone/all/
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 21, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #8112582

You're right I should, but I'm not a subscriber yet. Only subscribers can post in that forum. Is it against the DG rules, to let someone who is a subscriber post these pictures in the Carnivorous Plants Forum? If it's ok to do so, I definitely don't mind, if a subscriber wants to post these pics in there. Maybe I can get another one, from my friend, or propagate more from it once I learn how, and send it to the person.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2010 6:06 PM

Thumbnail by strange2u

Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8112876

done. posted it for you. nice looking VFT.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #8112948

There is only one plant with the common name "Venus flytrap": Dionaea muscipula. The most common form is just plain green, but there are selections/cultivars with varying degrees of dark red/bronze coloration on the inside of the "trap" and some have coloration of the exterior of the "trap".

Please do not purchase VFTs that are not clearly labelled as having been responsibly propagated and cultivated. This plant is native only to a small area of the coastal plain in NC and SC and is being pushed to extinction from habitat loss and poachers.

Anyway, I'm not sure what (if any) named cultivar you may have there, but I do know that VFTs need full sun to survive. In their native habitat they grow in an open, sandy, sunny marsh environment. They are actually quite cold-hardy but I doubt they would survive an IL winter. I hope you have a cool, bright indoor location where you can keep your VFT in winter. If not, maybe experiment with putting it in the refrigerator, which would hopefully keep it dormant without any adverse effects? (VFTs have a tuberous-type root for winter food storage.)

I grow my native carnivorous plants in a mixture of 2/3 peat moss : 1/3 coarse sand, in containers with the saucers attached so they stay constantly wet (but not waterlogged). You can give them a bit of diluted water-soluble fertilizer such as "Miracle-Grow" in the spring to give them a jump-start, but after that they will feed themselves. Of course if you have to grow them indoors you might need to substitute dilute plant food for the nutrients they'd normally get from trapped insects... but always err on the side of caution. If underfed you'll just get slow/pale growth, but if overfed they can quickly drop dead.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 22, 2010
12:49 AM

Post #8113426

Mine turn red with more sun in the summer.
C
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 22, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #8113536

Hi Sunshines2day,
Thank You so much Sunshines2day. I owe you. My neighbor told me he had about 20 pots of this guy. If he didn't give'em all away by now, he'll probably give me another plant. In the case that he doesn't, I'll propagate the one I have, but this would mean it 'll be a while 'til I can send one to you, maybe a year or so. First,I need to do some research on propagating VFT. Then possibly wait, until it's a good time to do so.
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 22, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #8113540

To everyone who responded,
Thanks for your input and advice. You're a great help.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8113656

I was thinking the same thing. This looks like a normal Venus Flytrap that has received lots of light. There's only one species of Venus Flytrap but many varieties like "Red Dragon" (all red including the traps and leaves) and "Clamshell".

I do think the one above looks very spindly, and I would imagine it was grown in a greenhouse under lights. Since VFT should only be grown exclusively outside in full sun, I think this may account for why it doesn't look as robust as it should. I just received 20 Venus Flytraps from cobraplants.com (in Oregon -- all VFT are grown outside year round). I give them away during carnivorous plant classes I teach. Every one of the plants has bright red traps, but the leaves are much more robust.

I see that you live in Illinois, and the native habitat for VFT is NC and SC. They are used to ice and snow, but Illinois may be too cold -- put it in an unheated garage when your temps drop below 20 and put it back outside when temps reach 35. Here is a care sheet for VFT, including winter growing instructions. Check out the pictures of ice and snow.
http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=8&zenid=d202368e97f7556102cba0aa1278f27c

If you aren't growing it outside, make sure you send it outside immediately. It needs the opportunity to go dormant, before the cold weather hits, or it will have major problems during the winter. It needs full light, dormancy in winter, and a saucer of water. This plant should never dry out or be soggy. Use only rain or distilled water. Minerals and salts in tap water, well water, spring water will kill the VFT. No fertilizers for Venus Flytraps -- sunlight provides all the energy it needs and the insects are like a multivitamin when they are ready to go. For VFT I use a 50/50 of peat and sand or peat and perlite. Make sure there are no fertilizers preadded to the soil and that the sand isn't beach sand (too many minerals and salt). When you join up, come join us in the Carnivorous Plant section. :)
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 22, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8113767

Hi Starslpitter7,
I have sand from Menards. It was in the same section with the gravel and bricks. My guess is that the bag will not say where the sand came from, but I'll check. In general, do you think sand ment for construction is ok?
Thank you for the info and tips
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 22, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #8114003

I use play sand and am not really sure about construction sand.
C
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #8115039

strange2u,

Just keep yours going...I don't want anything but for you to be interesting in learning.

rakovsky
Philadelphia, PA

May 31, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9540466

I think a mix of peat moss and silica sand is good. It's ok I think if it doesn't go dormant, because in North Carolina it is not really a wintry area.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 31, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9540689

They still go dormant and it does get cold there in winter just not as cold as some other places. They stay outside year round in my yard and in winter they are small leaved and close to the surface of the pot. In spring they make larger, taller trap leaves. Mine have stayed greed even when we had freezing temps and snow.
C

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America