Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rohoke
Tavernier, FL

September 21, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #8111380

I have been invaded again by white flies. I've tried soapy water and a few commercial insecticides to no avail..they always come back. The undersides of the leaves are covered with a white, powder like stuff...Can anybody give me some other remedies to try..Thanks
Roger Hoke Key Largo Fl...
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #8111990

I think Happy said she used 'hairspray'. Maybe she will hop by here and advise us.
;)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #8175061

I just found these organic remedies for whiteflies at this website: http://www.essortment.com/all/whiteflies_rvll.htm

Quoting:Home-made wash recipe: : blend three large onions, one hot pepper pod or three tablespoons cayenne pepper, one teaspoon vegetable oil, and one garlic bulb. Cover mixture with a little bit of water and let stand overnight. Sieve and put into one-gallon jug and top it off with water. Spray weekly or more often for heavy infestations.

Home-made remedy: Remove leaves with egg patterns. (They'll be sucked dry anyway.) Cut out a piece of yellow or orange cardboard and coat with petroleum jelly or Vicks VapoRub. Stick the coated cardboard into the soil next to the plant. Shake the plant and the flying insects, attracted to the yellow color, will unwittingly "stick" themselves to the cardboard. do this everyday until you no longer see the tiny white fliers flitting around anymore.

The method to cure whiteflies that seems to be working for a lot of people is using earthworm castings (a/k/a worm poop) about an inch deep around the base of the plants. Here's one testimonial, but you can find others online: http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-11-17/home-and-garden/17454588_1_castings-whiteflies-hibiscus There are several sites online to buy worm castings, or you can start your own worm bin so that you have a more steady supply.

I am again growing Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis). Confederate Rose is typically a whitefly magnet and the last Confederate Rose I grew certainly proved that. It was so infested with whiteflies that they would swarm out in a cloud whenever I shook the bush. I'm trying worm castings to see if they work to keep the whiteflies away from the Confederate Rose. Since I won't be eating the Confederate Rose (as you will with your peppers), I am also using the Bayer dual action systemic fertilizer and insecticide from time to time.

Jeremy
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #8175604

I ONLY get whiteflies on my cachucha pepper plant. It's never ending!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America