Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hypertufa and Concrete: want info on concrete "rocks" made with cement and sphagnum moss

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 11, Views: 558
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2001
2:20 AM

Post #1701

I saw these things being cast on one of those home improvement shows. They were concrete mixed with moss and looked like stone and were used for various building projects. I don't even know what they're called but would love some information on them...Betty
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2001
2:26 AM

Post #54115

Betty, how neat that must have been! I am so envious of folks that have rocks in their state! LOL! We don't have any rocks here :-(... And if you buy them at Lowes or other places they cost a fortune! Lisa
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2001
2:37 AM

Post #54122

Woodspirit,

They're called hypertuffa. Betty Earl, who lurks here at DG is writing an article about them. Maybe she'll post some simple instructions here.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2001
2:53 AM

Post #54127

Howdy folks...woodspirit, if Betty Earl doesn't post I have the instructions. (will have to scan them and then post) I was thinking of making planters out of something like that.
Lisa, we have more rocks here than Jimma Carter has peanuts. No matter how many you throw out of the garden it seems each time it rains more germinate. I'll roll some down your way!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2001
3:14 AM

Post #54129

Lets see Horseshoe..that is rocks and critters I'll be waiting for...oh boy! Hope they arrive on the same day! Lisa
Mary

February 25, 2001
11:05 AM

Post #54151

The hypertufa mix is equal parts of cement, sand, and sieved peat. Mix like cement. I once read this method to make large but lightweight rocks for rockeries and walls:

Dig a hole about the size you want the rock.
Put in some of the hypertufa mix.
Put a polystyrene box or plastic container in.
Cover with more hypertufa.
Dig out your 'rock' when it's set.

I think it takes about 30 days to cure.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2001
6:03 PM

Post #54231

Mary, will these hypertuffa rocks hold up when used in a waterfall setting? I mean with water running over them?
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2001
11:31 PM

Post #54288

Last summer Canadian Tire was selling plastic rocks!! Made me smile when I saw them (I forget how much they were).

Ask at your local garden centre, perhaps they can import some plastic rocks for you 'rockless' people! Otherwise if you are ever on Vancouver Island, I can give you some of my million rocks, they are sprouting everywhere.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2001
2:41 AM

Post #54321

gardendragon, they're NOT plastic, they're cement and moss, lol (What an improvement!). We have a lot of rocks here too, but if you want large ones, you have to hire someone with a truck and crane to place them. We don't have the money and my husband has had 2 heart attacks, so we are doing something more manageable financially and physically. But I do agree, the idea of plastic or fake rocks IS a bit unappealing. However, he is also a potter and will be able to stain them so that (I'll bet) you won't be able to tell them from the real thing.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2001
3:43 AM

Post #54334

On http://www.buildfountains.com, they have some information on creating such a fountain, they use natural tufta rock, but the info should still work. I have info on making this also and if I get a scanner for my B"day, I will be able (hopefully to scan the info" for use.
Mary

February 26, 2001
6:59 PM

Post #54431

Seems to be OK for a waterfall, provided you add some waterproofer to the mix.

http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ukgard/msg021446324882.html?3

Betty
Naperville, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2001
1:15 AM

Post #58115

Hi Folks --

Sorry I didn't come across this thread sooner; but I haven't had much time for "lurking".

Basically, the ingredients for a strong hypertufa container are peat, vermiculite, dry portland cement, water and fibreglass mesh.

Sometimes some recipes call for sand. However, the only thing that adds is weight. And since the primarily reason for creating hypertufa is to get a lightweight planter that looks "rock-like", adding sand just defeats the purpose.

If you'll all bear with me for a couple of days, I'll post a simple set of instructions for a basic, rectangular hypertufa container.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America