Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Native Asters in South Western New York (and the rest of the northeast): Ours are here!

Communities > Forums > Article: Native Asters in South Western New York (and the rest of the northeast)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Native Asters in South Western New York (and the rest of the northeast)Replies: 7, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8112525

Our native purple ones are just now opening up. They're one of my favorite wildflowers. It's good to see this article again; perfect timing. Thanks for all the info and nice pics!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8114066

lol, I didn't even know it was up. I LOVE autumn asters, and it's a good thing as they seem to be taking over! I had a good time taking the pictures for this, I had Stan drag me all over the 'neighborhood' seeking out the shyer varieties that like to hide on back roads and down right of ways. My bright blue ones are putting on the best show this year.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8114080

Ours are the tall ones. Once they're in full bloom, I'll take pics and upload one here.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #8134394

Ours too are in full bloom now,Iam going to be adding 2 purples to my garden in a few days,so dry here blooms and leaves wont be around long,turning fast soo beautiful,I love fall
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #8134772

Some of mine are almost 6 feet tall this year - enthusiastic bunch. We've had a lot of Monarchs visiting both the asters and the goldenrod.

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #8136157

beautiful shot Kathleen,I might have to see to it that some purlpe asters are planted in the ditches around here !!! Ive got white and lavendar on the woods edge.I will have to take a few fall photos today,going fast,id better get er done !!!!!
Kamlhj
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9281623

I really do miss the white/purple/blue wild asters in the fields, backdropped by the intense yellow/orange/red maple trees each autumn.
I used to live in Lackawanna, NY & would ride my bike through the southtowns. Beautiful sight !!!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9281826

We are only about 90 miles southwest of Buffalo. Things are a little slow this year because of the drought, but recent rain seems to be signaling that fall is here and the trees are starting to change. The asters and golden rod were early to bloom, but have held on to it longer than usual.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Native Asters in South Western New York (and the rest of the northeast) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Preparing Asters for the winter leeson31 1 Oct 18, 2008 12:08 AM
Nice phicks 1 Oct 18, 2008 12:09 AM
Asters joodles 3 Oct 24, 2014 12:35 PM
Late reader candyinpok 1 Nov 2, 2008 7:29 PM
Asters in southeastern NY akhdubon 1 Sep 28, 2010 3:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America