Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: Bee sting from underground bee's

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 5, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
velocity
Syracuse, NY

September 24, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #8117864

Ok, well i was mowing my uncles yard yesterday and got attacked by a massive swarm of bees coming out of a baseball size hole in the ground. i was wondering what kind of bees these could be, also how long it takes for the pain and swelling to go down in leg, as i was stung twice and it really hurts. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Black Hole Dead center of picture is where they came out

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 7:26 AM

Thumbnail by velocity
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cfbloom
Marengo, IL

September 27, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #8125180

you're kidding, right?
at least you didn't say you got "bit by a bee!!!"
you were stung by hornets or wasps that live in the ground. Honeybees NEVER live in the ground. Honeybees leave a stinger in your skin. Hornets & wasps can sting repeatedly, without losing their stinger.
Wasps & hornets are the arch enemies of honeybees. They build up their brood in the fall to insure their survival and collect anything containing sugar including pop, fruit on the ground, hummingbird food, etc.
When you locate the hole, you can put a fishbowl or glass on top at night when they are dormant. They will starve & die in about a week. Or you can can use "wasp & hornet killer" and saturate the hole anytime during the day or night.
Benedril or antihistamine will reduce the swelling from stings.
Good luck-beekeeper
semi_lucid
Hereford, TX

April 10, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8486403

Bumble bees nest in holes in the ground, and I think there are other types of bees that nest in the ground also.

We would need a better description to know for sure.
cfbloom
Marengo, IL

April 18, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8505471

I have seen bumblebees nest in the ground.
Hornets typically nest in the ground.
Wasps build paper nests above ground.
Bees of most species seem to prefer to nest in wood. Mason bees drill solitary holes in wood, honey bees find hollow trees.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8675877

We've had bumble bee nests in the ground..HUGE bumble bees. The ground is in constant motion from the bees moving under their grass nest. We have just learned to mow around them and leave them alone.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8686947

I'm going to say it is a yellow jacket nest in the OP. They have their nests in the ground among other places. They are nasty little buggers and hurt like heck when they sting you. Usually it takes about 3 days for the hurt to totally go away. The first day it usually throbs for a good while then it slowly quits hurting over the next few days. You want to get rid of any nest of those...it will only get larger with time and more likely someone will get stung more than a couple of times when the nest is disturbed.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef634.asp

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America