Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Identification: Oh wow oh wow oh wow

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
snakeadelic
Hamilton, MT

September 25, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #8120515

'Redtail', I thought to myself, snapping a few more frames of the big brown raptor that I'd finally noticed was the cause of the magpie agitation that'd gotten my attention in the first place. 'Hope I get a good frame of it...'

Fast forward over a week and there I am, going through the month for pics to print soon, and I find the magpie and its nemesis...but wait...that's no redtail! Redtails don't have a black eye, a short and rounded two-tone beak, a barred belly, tear-marks on the face, or a tail that disappears under the tips of folded wings! As this bad boy was well over twice the mass of the magpie, that pretty much narrows it down to peregrine (most likely) or prairie falcon; my Birds of Montana lists no falcons for the state bigger than the kestrel, but my old Golden Birds of North America has us as summer range for both prairie and peregrine. My money's on juvenile or young adult peregrine...any experts to confirm my theory or blow it outta the water?

Thumbnail by snakeadelic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #8120626

Yep, Peregrine Falcon

Resin

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8122696

Oh wow!!
snakeadelic
Hamilton, MT

September 27, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #8123672

It says a lot about learning to live with an overdose of the surreal that I find it funny that we (neighbor and I) drove 750 miles to a known nesting ground (Cape Meares, OR) last summer and saw not a feather of a peregrine, and now I photograph one literally in my own back yard...

Magpies will mess with ya any chance they get (I now have a witness), but it pays to listen to the little overdressed punks! ;)

Thumbnail by snakeadelic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America