Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Crocosmia, a short review: Love this plant!

Communities > Forums > Article: Crocosmia, a short review
bookmark
Forum: Article: Crocosmia, a short reviewReplies: 0, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kforce1
Englewood, FL

September 27, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #8123919

We live on the Oregon coast (U.S.) where the small orange and the large red mostly grows in gardens and along roadsides. I grow the large red. I began with 6 corms 4 years ago and now I have about 80 plants! This year I am thinning drastically as it's taken over my beds. Our climate here is cool and moist so I don't have to water much. During the flowering season I water lightly every 2 weeks. It grows in any soil from sand to heavy mulch. However, in the Willamette Valley where temperatures soar into the 90s in the summer it has to be grown in semi shade to mottled light and watered frequently. It's a wonderful plant for naturalizing along streams and creek beds. I have found it does not do well in containers but perhaps others have better luck? Hummingbirds love the red flowers and feed from it continuously while in bloom. Along the coast it blooms from July through late August, perfect timing for the hummingbird migration. I affectionately refer to it as the Bird of Oregon because of it's distinctive shape (much like a smaller Bird of Paradise). This is one of my favorite plants and every year I look forward with anticipation for it to open up and spread its wings.

Thumbnail by kforce1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Crocosmia, a short review Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love your article and crocosmia! tabasco 30 Sep 27, 2010 7:16 AM
Question AlohaHoya 3 Nov 27, 2007 5:52 AM
How to get Crososmia to bloom in containers? clareb 0 Aug 6, 2008 4:53 PM
How does Crocosmia propogate? ShadowJack 0 Sep 7, 2008 4:04 PM
Crocosmia won't bloom idleness 0 Jun 13, 2010 4:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America