Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: INTEREST THREAD FOR A 'Christmas/Holiday 3-item Swap'

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 57, Views: 357
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8124366

OK, I am going to take the plunge and have tried to consolidate several holiday swap suggestions into one swap and still keep it manageable. This swap would be for 3 Christmas/Holiday items for your swap partner. You can state what your preferred Holiday decorating theme is (such as trees, snowmen, nutcrackers, snowglobes, sleighs, gingerbread items, santas, candy canes, angels ... however you decorate for the holidays ... or just ask to be surprised). The 3 items would be:

1) 1 Ornament (homemade, hand-decorated, or store bought),

2) 1 handwritten recipe for a favorite holiday dish,

3) 1 small garden-related item with a Holiday/Christmas/New Year's tie-in, if possible. This can be bought or homemade (perhaps something like a green trowel or garden implement with a holiday bow tied around it, red and green gardening gloves, seeds of something red and green, magnets, small painted rock (since we're into that now), note cards, recipe cards -- whatever strikes your fancy. It doesn't have to be red and green necessarily ... swappers can state their holiday decorating color preference along with the theme, if they want to.

Price is up to you but I would say we could do this easily for no more than $20. Thirty lashes with a wet noodle if you go way too far over that, but kudos if you pull it off under that amount. The idea is to be creative and have fun. :-)

If there is enough interest, I will start a sign-up thread around the middle of October, partners to be assigned by November 10th and mailing no later than December 1.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #8124550

Works for me Carole.

We don't do Christmas here really. But I love snowmen, penguins and things like that. Please no angels or other religious items. Pinecones, trees, snowflakes, whatever. Just basic winter stuff.

Neener

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8124576

I Can deal with # 3
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8124730

Looking good, Carole :)

No religious ornaments for me either please. I'm not into cutesy very much but do enjoy the more primitive and woodsy type ornaments. Themes I use are trees, candles, nutcrackers, wreaths, snowflakes, candies, birds and bird nests along with a few snowmen and santas. Over the years, we have collected a few State ornaments in our travels and would enjoy having one from the State my buddy lives in. We'll have a live tree again and traditionaly I ring the bottom perimeter of it with silk Poinsettias. A small flag with a New Year's theme would be good in the gardening category too since I don't have one yet.

Edited to add colors which are green, burgundy, purple, gold, and white.

Round two Edit: Back to the recipe thing, I'm a lousy baker and don't have the gadgets to even justify trying, so dear buddy would you instead send a recipe of your favorite casserole dish, soup, stew, one pot meal, or fudge (that's not really baking, is it?)

Keep my goodies sweet & simple and I'll be happy!

This message was edited Sep 29, 2010 4:57 PM
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8124757

Hey Carole,

This sounds like fun so count me in. Heavens... I wonder if there is a swapaholics 12 step program somewhere for people like us.
#1 Get out of the Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins forum..do not go there, don't even add it to your watched forums, don't think about it.
#2 Stop looking at everything you see as a possible swap item
#3 Stop thinking about ideas for swaps in the dead of winter when you can't trade plants from your yard
#4 Stop thinking about all your plants as possible swap items in the spring and summer
#5...#6...
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8124774

Sounds like fun. :) Definitely interested.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8124782

Hey Di, I Googled swapaholics a while back and couldn't believe the results. Let's just say we're not alone...lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #8124875

I am in.
Traditional Christmas red, green, white. I decorate everything, every room. Love Christmas. Love Santas in airplanes, I have a pretty big collection of them. Would love things for the garden for Christmas.

janaestone, in the 12 step program could we have a swap?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
2:22 AM

Post #8125277

LOL, Happ, I was a social worker in CA and facilitated many a support group ... so I could start one for us all ... now wouldn't that be a bit like the blind leading the blind?? ;-) I see Di has some basic guidelines going for already. :-D))) Maybe call it "The Guilty Pleasure Support Group"?

We don't do a lot for Christmas anymore either but I enjoy some simple holiday decorating.
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #8125288

I'm in. Our tree is red, white, and silver, but any color is fine. I decorate everything. May add another tree this year. Nothing religious please.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #8125318

Welcome Pony, I don't think we've met. But I lived up your way in Renton for two years. Loved it there. :-)

I was going to ask what you are doing up at this hour, Maggie ... but, oh yeah, new baby. ;-)

Looks like we'll probably have enough interest to post this as a swap come the middle of Oct.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #8125340

Nice to meet you, Carole. I am new to this particular forum- there sure are a lot of fun swaps, I hope to participate in at least a few. :)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #8125352

It's a great place, Pony. Everyone here is friendly and a lot of fun. There are all kinds of swaps. But I am warning you now, these swaps are like Lays Potato Chips ... "bet you can't eat just one"! LOL. Seriously, they are addictive but loads of fun. And it's a fairly harmless addiction.

Wow, you are really up early out there. :-)
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #8125390

Auntie C, I suppose I'll get plenty of sleep when I'm dead. As for now...I'm awake and trying to be patient. Husband out the door at 5:30, 13 yr old out the door at 6:30, daughter out the door at 7:30...and today was her picture day. Had to fix her hair cute. 4 year old sleeping (thankfully!), and a gassy, crying all night baby. I wouldn't trade my family for the world, I just wish I could get rid of the bags under my eyes! :)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 28, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #8125409

Count me in...not 2 square inches not decorated at Christmas time, have about 50 boxes waiting to come out so no special request, if it's to do with Christmas just send it my way..Santa's Village, where Santa lives year round is a few towns north of me so I drop in from time to time, I'll have to tell HIM about your swap, maybe he'd join in..on the other hand, think maybe Mrs. Santa should be the one I approach!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #8125411

Maggie you are a saint for sure. All Mothers have to be. That's why I never was. :0)

A 12 step program wouldn't work. I don't have a life except my Dave's buddies.

Fruity it finally dawned on me the other day (this will tell you how slow I am) that you don't do cutesy. Kind of got that impression at the ceramic store, but it just sunk in. I have to get that in my head, because I live and breath cutesy. :0)) As if that is a surprise to anyone.
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #8125435

Oh I'm not a saint by any means of the word!!!! I just adore these little people and I brought them into this world...they're mine to love and care for. When I was young, I never wanted kids...or a husband. I just wanted ME! Somewhere alone lifes road, that changed. And I'm glad it did.

I won't even think about a 12 step...let alone attend! I LOVE DG! :)
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #8125444

I didn't even know cutesy was a word. Can someone define for me so I dont send that in a swap. :)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #8125469

LOL -- Betty I'll bet your lovely home decorated for the holiday season is something to behold!! I mean that in the best way.

Neener -- you would relapse anyway. ;-) Hubby's cousin is named Juanita so maybe I'll call you that, like gee, it's your name ... but will anyone know who I'm talking about??? I think it's fast becoming my life too. But with DH chronically ill, it makes a wonderful place for me to "get out" and visit new friends.

Yeah, but there's cute and then there's cutesy. Beeg difference, IMHO. ;-)

Baggie Maggie ... now there's a name. ;-) Patience is a virtue, thus saith Auntie C.

Looks like we'll have enough to post this swap for sign-ups in a couple of weeks.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #8125480

You made me laugh out loud, Betty!

Some cutesy is ok, Neener, just not into having bunches of it around me. Maggie, Picture a cartoon bunny. That to me is cutesy when compared to a real rabbit. If that makes sense. Do you get to take a nap sometime during the day?

Gotta run to an appt. Later Ladies.
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #8125484

Oh my goodness!!! I'm so excited! My VERY DEAR friend, Terri, joined DG last night! My smile is so big, my cheeks hurt! I guess I talked about it enough that she just HAD to see what all the excitement was about! If you have a free minute, please welcome her and invite her to any swaps. I'll do the same. :)

Thughes82 (Terri)

~Maggie
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8125503

Then I guess I like some cutesy...some. I love antiques with some country/cutesy.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8125889

You all aare too funny. I just came back from errands which took me around town and of course to a few fun stores. Everything I picked up had swap written all over it. But you know, when it is the dead of winter and there is nothing else going on making things for swaps is fun, fulfilling way to spend some time. At least for me it is.
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #8125952

"Baggie Maggie". That's me FOR SURE right now! These bags are awful! If I leave the house, I need 5# makeup and a putty knife to apply it! O-well!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #8125968

I'm in. I decorate with blue/white/silver and snowflakes. BUT please no snowmen/women.(lots of people think that it is the same as snowflakes but it doesn't work) Or anything garden/woodsy like. I'm into nature. Would love healthy recipes if possible. And please also nothing religious as I'm christian but my sister that lives with me is Pagan and I try to keep things on an even keel. I love christmas and LOVE looking for things for other people... this will be fun.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8125996

Welcome, Renatelynne, glad to have ya. I will be posting the official sign-up thread in about two weeks so check back often and chat with us.

I agree, Neener. :-) I get cabin fever in the winter.

I think Renate makes around 10 so far on the interest thread which was the number I had in my head to make the swap an "official" one. BUT WE'D LOVE TO HAVE MORE AND THERE IS PLENTY OF TIME.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #8126236

Back to the recipe thing, I'm a lousy baker and don't have the gadgets to even justify trying, so dear buddy would you instead send a recipe of your favorite casserole dish, soup, stew, one pot meal, or fudge (that's not really baking, is it?)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #8126268

I don't bake much either. Good idea to state your recipe preference.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8126281

Just pasted the recipe deal on my original post, Carole. Might be easier on my buddy that way instead of having to scan multiple notes.
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #8126365

I'm no Betty Crocker, but I'll try anything. Homemade breads are my favorite (no bread machine).
mcrochet
Marilyn Glen st. Mar, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #8126446

Oh please add me to this one. Next to RWB, Christmas is my favorite time of year! (isn't it everyone's?) :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #8126576

Hey Girlfriend! Been missing you like crazy.
mcrochet
Marilyn Glen st. Mar, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8126600

Hello Fruity!!!!! I have missed you all too! have been 'laying low', and didn't want to bring anyone down, so just been lurking. :)
How is Elfie????? I do hear from Chris through FB, but haven't seen her on the forums much here, but then I don't check all of them. Lurk on the Birthday thread, and then that Rock Painting swap REALLY caught my eye, so I've been lurking there.:)
I am doing better and now that my son is better, I am much better. Was so worried about him. But things turned out great. no chemo had to be done, and that was really good news. He's back healthy again, and a yearly check is all that is needed.
It's great to 'talk' to you. hopefully will be able to again soon.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #8126842

That's fantastic news and can feel the relief in your voice miles away. Still thinking about another one of your sons who's going for regular treatments. And don't you have another son in Service overseas? And I think there's one more for a grand total of four? Forgive me if I've missed any. I can hardly keep up with what I did last week so that's the first clue why we never had kids.

mcrochet
Marilyn Glen st. Mar, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2010
2:24 AM

Post #8127134

Grand total of 5 Fruity. :) Yes one son still overseas, around 5 months to go now. and the youngest is still at home but now has a girlfriend...so the paper has been being left turned with the rental section open,,,lol,,,he thinks he's too old to live with mom. :)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8127191

Welcome, Marilyn, is it? Glad to have you. You can wait to state your preferences on the sign-up thread, if you want or put them here. It's up to you. I will put the link for this thread on the sign-up thread also.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #8127235

Oops, didn't mean to leave out your baby.
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #8127892

hey guys include me I like anything that has to do wiith Christmas
and I really like angels I hope I do good for my buddy
sissy70--Judy

This message was edited Sep 29, 2010 1:39 PM

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #8127943

Welcome, sissy70. Nice to have you. I'm sure you'll do just fine for you bud. :-)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #8128252

You will, Sissy. I can say to the group firsthand that your crocheting is beautiful.

I still can't do anything except chain and single crochet. Did you get a kick out of that, Marilyn...lol With any luck I'll finish a few knitting projects begun last Spring, poor things are stuffed in a basket, and there's a bunch more I want to do. Mickey can always use another sweater. One of my favorite knitting projects in Winter is making afghans, the longer they becomes the warmer my knees get :)
mcrochet
Marilyn Glen st. Mar, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #8128263

Oh I wanted to bring my hooks and thread Fruity to the big get-together, but we know how that turned out. Someday I will get to teach you crochet. :)
If it's okay, I will wait to put my preferences on the sign up thread. I'm not picky when it comes to Christmas, the more homemade the better for me. :)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #8128288

Marilyn, that is fine to wait, I think. I'm fairly new at this but so far, so good. :-)

Crochet ... oooooo, neat. So the name is apropos. I never spell that right. ;-)

Where was the RU or get-together or whatever you call it. I keep asking but no answer. Inquiring minds want to know!! ;-)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #8128339

You got it, Marilyn.

Sorry about that, Carole, here ya go. The link's over on the rock swap page too. We'll get together again next year in either late May or early June. Hope anyone interested can come...it always a pleasure for me putting faces with names and getting to know DG'ers personally. If you know where Roanoke VA is, the park is about an hour Southeast.
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/fai.shtml

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #8128387

No problem. We're a chatty bunch and it's easy to have several "conversations" going at once. Sometimes I can't keep track of them.

Yes, I know where Roanoke, VA is. What a beautiful spot! Glad for the get together ... sounds like a lot of fun!
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8128633

I just attended the fall round up/reunion last weekend for the Ohio River Valley group. It was my first one and I had so much fun. It was great to finally put some faces to the names and I was able to tour a few gardens as well. Lots of good food and great people - I can't wait to go to the spring one!

Di
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #8128920

Di ~ Where was that swap held? I grew up in Ohio. About 20 minutes from Steubenville.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #8129102

Hi All -- I am sorry that I will not be available to host this swap. There seems to be plenty of interest so I'm sure someone else can pick up the ball and host a holiday/Christmas swap of some sort. Again, sorry.

Carole

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." ~John Lennon
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #8129117

No worries, Carole. It's only a swap. I hope everything is ok. Are you still able to participate?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #8129126

So right about that, Maggie ... I will have to wait and see about participating.

(I wasn't yelling "closed" three times ... 'hiccups' like that sometimes occur when you're still on dial-up. LOL)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #8129160

Carole I can't speak for Fruity until I talk to her, but I'm sure one of us can take this over if need be. A lot of interest and everyone always looks forward to it. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Neener
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #8129161

I'd offer to take over, but I've only been in 2 swaps (one of which never did pan out) so I don't know much, and I won't have a new computer for at least another week or so. Phone Internet can be more frustrating than dial-up.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8129237

It's ok, Carole. I know you have your hands full. We'll figure something out, Neener. In the meantime, Carole, can you change Closed to OPEN so we don't lose anyone else who'd like to play?
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8129336

Hi Maggie, The RU was in Franklin, halfway between Cincinnati and Dayton.
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #8129348

Thats a couple hours from my area. I'll have to watch for the next one, maybe I'll make a trip to visit family and be able to come to a RU as well! I want my sister to join DG. She lives in Ohio & I think she'd enjoy this as much as the rest of us.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8129491

Glad we are back in business. Fruit Loop and I will co host this one. That way you get the benefit of my Blonde moments and her cool sense of humor. :0)
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #8129637

*giggle sounds like a plan
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #8130505

You two are funny :)

Follow the snowflakes to our new thread, Folks: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1132209/

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8135232

Betty and Di, I think everybody that showed interest has made it over to the new thread. Y'all come on over, would love to see you and anyone else interested joining us Elves.

Edited to add the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1132209/

This message was edited Oct 3, 2010 5:10 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America