"Passengers to America" Book - ship lists of immigrants

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I bought this interesting book from a friend. It's "a consolidation of ship passenger lists from The New England Historical and Geneological Register". It contains ship passenger lists dating back to 1620 as they migrated to America. I'm a bit disappointed to find that NONE of my family names are in the book. And I know for a fact that my great-great grandfather/mother Meurer (Muir) came over here from Germany. I'm sure they would have had to arrive by ship, but I guess not by one of these ships.

If anyone would like for me to check your family names, I'd be happy to do so. There's an alphabetized list of names so it would be pretty easy to check. If you know any alternative spellings of your family names, I can look those up too. Our family name of Meurer is spelled several different ways.

Some of the sections in this book are:

Passengers of the May Flower
Leaders in the Winthrop Fleet
The Founders of New England
Passengers for New England
Passengers of the Mary and John
Passengers for Virginia
Emigrants in the Hervules of Sandwich
Scotch Prisoners sent to Massachusetts
Deportations from Scotland
Emigrants to America from Liverpool
Servants to Foreign Plantations from Bristol, England to New England

NancyAnn

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If it makes you feel any better, I have a similar book (maybe even the same one) and even though I know from other sources that I have ancestors originating in England who came to various parts of New England in a timeframe that was covered by the book, they're not listed either--in the older days some ship records have been preserved and others haven't been. With your ancestors being German and a little more recent I'm not at all surprised that they wouldn't be in that book. Do you have a membership on Ancestry.com? They've got a lot of passenger lists and I bet you'd be able to find your Muir/Meurer ancestors listed there. If you don't have a membership, I can try to look them up for you if you give me their first names, approximate date of arrival, anything you know about where they settled when they first arrived, etc.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Perhaps ecrane3 can help you narrow it down. There are Meurers that came through New Orleans and New York and probably some other ports. You should try a trial 14 -day free membership or one-month subscription to see if you like it. I think an annual subscription is too expensive unless it is your business. I usually buy a one-month subscription when I know I can spend a lot of time on the effort.

Here is a link to some of the publications that Meurer's show up.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=IMG_PASSLISTS&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsln=meurer&uidh=000&=0&so=2

Hope you find something .......

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the offer, ecrane. I wasn't posting to get help for myself. I just thought I might make the book useful by helping someone else. Meurer was only one family name I looked up. NONE of my family names are in the book. I have ancestors from England, France, Italy, etc. as well. The book only covers certain passenger lists though. I thought maybe someone here might have family listed in the book. I would be happy to look those up for anyone who is interested (no subscription required. LOL)

casselberry, FL

i would love you to look up the last name Inman ....inman thanks

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

There's an Edward Inman listed an Appendix entitled "First Settlers of New Hampshire, from Vol. II (1848) . I don't know if that's the name of a ship or the title of a book. There's just the title and then a long list of names under it and that's all. Some of the other sections have little blurbs about the ships or the history or something. But not this appendix.

Harpursville, NY(Zone 5a)

Check out ShipsTtranscription guild they provide free information about early ships from Europe to the New World. They have a lot more entries than are in your book. Some of my family arrived in New Amsterdam with the Dutch in 1585 and they certainly will not be in your book. Your family name sounds German.. My Quaker family came to Philadelphia in 1720. They were listed in the ships transcription guild web site. Sorry but you will have to search for the link. It used to be part of Rootsweb but since Ancestry took them over the Ship people moved their information so it will remain free to the public.
Linda

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

My husband has been seaching out his family history for the last few months and has already filled a book about 4 inches thick plus. It is totally amazing the things that he has been able to find out. Also there are quite a few family stories that he has been able to fill out or discover the truth about. He is having such fun! I will tell him about your book.

Harpursville, NY(Zone 5a)

It is important to document every "fact" you find on the internet. Some stuff is not true at all. I am afraid early in my research I passed on information I found on line that turned out to be false and now it is everywhere on Ancestry and Genealogy.com. I have tried to correct the error but it keeps showing up again and again. Use the information you find on line and then look for sources to back it up. ie census, church records, wills, land records etc. Yesterday, I found more information on my terrible Tuttles that makes them related to EdwardIV Plantanganet. Not sure I buy that one yet:)
Linda

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

My husband still has two siblings living and a cousin so they are helpful for some of the information. He is trying to do it very thoroughly and checks as many documents as possible. It really is amazing that he can access so many documents from so long ago. I do not know how far he wants to go, but it is keeping him busy and he is enjoying it so that is good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.