Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Running Away from Home: Wild Columbine: In my humble opinion . . .

Communities > Forums > Article: Running Away from Home: Wild Columbine
bookmark
Forum: Article: Running Away from Home: Wild ColumbineReplies: 15, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

September 28, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #8125358

This article is one of your very finest. I enjoyed it so much. It was so sweet, exciting, and had a twist at the end.

By the way, you would have been just as adorable without your precious hair. Think of all the additional stories you would have if you had shaved your hair. Your mother's reaction. What would Aunt Bett have said? How would you have faced your friends at school?

Thanks for a great strory. JK
oldkate
Hillsboro, OH

September 28, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #8125617

Sharran, there was nothing much worse (maybe ringworm!) in the late 1940's in grade school than getting head lice. Those unfortunates might as well have had leprosy and, oh my goodness - if the County Health Nurse had to make a visit! ( I told you it was a long time ago). The wild columbine is a lovely flower - not forward or pushy - just one to make you smile. Hey, Adaylilyfan, that's a good pun on your name! Thanks, both of you. And Aunt Bett, of course.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 28, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8125630

I agree with Adaylilyfan -- one of your best! The wild columbine is such a beautiful plant. It must be such a thrill to run across them growing in the wild.

I was about that same age as you in this story when I did wind up with a shaved head. As you know I grew up in the deep woods of Northern Michigan -- and playing in the woods does result in pine needles, burrs, twiggs etc. that accumulate in your hair. Sometimes it comes out when you brush it and sometimes it doesnt. I had long long curly dark brown hair back then, and apparently had acquired quite a collection in it one day when my grandmother (the cook at school) complained on the bus in front of everybody about the way my hair looked.

That afternoon after school 3 of my 5 mean brothers and one of my cousins decided I needed a hair cut. I ran all the way across our farm and tried to hide in the woods, but they caught me and began to hack away at my hair. My waist length hair wound up to be about 2 inches long more or less. That was the end of my curly hair. After that I had wavy hair but the curls never did return.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2010 8:13 AM
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8125706

And bugs, Gloria. Don't forget the bugs that lived in long curly hair. My mother accused me of hiding small animals in it a time or two. And caterpillars.

I love your name, too, JK...

As I mentioned on another of these comment threads, I almost didn't write this article. It was too embarrassing. I often thought of ways to pay my mother back, but most of them would have been worse for me...like shaving my head. It would have been more like Gloria's anyway, hacked within an inch of its life, because I wasn't allowed near a razor. But I sure thought about it.

Kate, I haven't thought of ringworm in a long time, I don't remember ever being treated for it, and since Mom always overdid any treatment, I must not have had a ringworm problem. Usually the problems I did have stemmed from my hair or my sassy mouth. The latter most often.

I loved and hated your story, Gloria. It's just a good thing my brother was younger than I was.

Thank you, it's so good to hear from all of you. And yes, I love finding wild columbine, it's a lovely little plant. Sure stirs up memories, though.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 28, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #8126189

I think normally I would have escaped from one or two brothers, but 3 plus my cousin was just too much--especially when instigated by my grandma. (Well they used what she said to justify their attack. Normally they didn't need much justification.)

Its strange at 70 Im thinking may be Ill cut off all my hair again. I don't have lice or bugs--just for the heck of it!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #8126713

At this age we can do all kinds of things just for the heck of it!!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #8136370

This sure brings back memories...

We all had lice one time...my Mother had given my oldest sister some stuff to use on her kids...a few days later one of the girls were down at our house and Mother asked her if the stuff had gotten all the lice off Carol's head...Peggy said "killed them all but one, and it died"...still a family joke to this day.

Sharran...I love all your writings...especially when they include Aunt Bett. Jo
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8136374

Jo, funny story...thank you!!!!

I love that you love them, too.
Hugs.
hariwalt
Tipp City, OH

October 4, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8136561

Oh, yes, I remember lice well. My mother's treatment, about 70 years ago, was Lysol and a very fine tooth comb. So I had to endure several "treatments" and my sister's teasing. We blamed my playing in the neighbor's back yard shed. A leaning and very disreputable structure that was filled with a bunch of stuff that was fun to play with. Oh, and also, lice!
But, the real word was, "DON'T TELL DADDY!" Don't know what he'd have done -- probably laughed and teased me some more.
It's interesting that lice apparently are still an issue in today's schools. Some things never change.
Loved your story!!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 4, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8136683

Not only lice but bedbugs! Apparently New York City is infested with them!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #8136741

In my school every Friday was "inspection Day"...some student was selected as the "nurse" for the day and went around the room with the teacher to inspect every head...with a pencil shoved throught the hair of each of us...SAME PENCIL for ALL...if you didn't have lice already, this was a good way to pass them around...

Sheez...my scalp is itching now just thinking about them! LOL Jo
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8137590

I think we all have some lice stories, let's hope we don't get into the bed bugs.

Jo, makes me itch just thinking about it, too.

Hariwalt, thank you!!

Fun to remember, not so fun to have been through it, don't you agree?
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #8146587

Great story, Sharon! I've come to expect no less from you.

I don't think anyone has mentioned fleas, so here goes: One summer when I was nine or ten, I began collecting stray dogs and cats. My parents tolerated my sudden enthusiasm for pets on the condition that they all spent their nights in the basement and their days outside. Only rarely did did I have the opportunity to sneak them into other parts of the house which, as it turns out, was a good thing.

I still remember the day I decided to spend some time playing with my pets in the basement before letting them outside. Once we got outside into the bright light, I realized why I had begun to itch. I looked down at my cotton socks which were normally white but were now black with fleas! It turns out that our dirt-floor basement with its soft sandstone walls was ideal habitat for fleas. And blood meals were close at hand. Fortunately, no one thought to douse me with DDT, which in those days was the insecticide of choice. I did have to strip outdoors, leave my clothes behind and hustle to the bathtub where my mother made sure that I shampooed my hair at least three or four times! My pets were banished to an outbuilding on our property and my father fumigated the basement.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #8147042

Ack, Larry. Fleas!!!

Thanks about the story, but now that you mention fleas, I'm itching from head to toe. That didn't happen while writing the lice story, but now...just the mention of them and I'm looking at my feet.
Ack.

But thanks for sharing your misery. Yours was a great story, too. And I'd forgotten about DDT.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 10, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #8148152

My poor Roscoe is allergic to fleas. If he didn't have his once-a-month Comfortis, he would be one naked miserable dog all summer long.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #8148753

I'm so glad Roscoe is not running around naked in Alabama. Poor thing. Glad you found something that works well for him.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Running Away from Home: Wild Columbine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
:) onewish1 6 Oct 4, 2010 5:54 AM
wild columbine daphnep 3 Sep 30, 2010 6:05 PM
columbine & honeysuckle roycer 3 Oct 6, 2010 3:41 PM
Scalp treatment 3pmp 1 Oct 4, 2010 6:25 PM
Lucky you cybercrone 1 Oct 5, 2010 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America