Photo by Melody

Soap and Candle-making: making soy candles, any wicking advice?

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 4, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cndlrookie
Hudson, FL

September 28, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #8126852

Hey out there. I am new to candle making and need some help. I am having problems with finding the right type of wick. I am using ecosoya advanced and bought the reccommended LX wick which would barely burn. I have also purchased the golden brand 464 and going to try the eco 14 wick for my 3 in container. I see this is going to be trial and error but if anyone could offer some suggestions or advice it would be great!
teamzuber
Colonia, NJ

January 17, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8316177

Hey Cndlrookie...

Unfortunately, I do not have any advice for you, but WAS wondering if you got any answers from anywhere else. I, too, am having the same issues. I'm using the EcoSoya CB-Advanced wax, a size LX-22 wick in a 8 oz. mason jar with a 3.25 diameter. I found that my candles are burning with a very small (almost none-existent) flame and tunnel through the wax. Any suggestions?
winterrobin
South Dennis, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8599619

Hi guys...are you still there?

I haven't been active on the forums for a while, and I just found this thread.

Don't you just hate those drowning wicks? I've been there. After a year and a half of experimenting with various wicks and waxes, it's down to this: I use 464 wax exclusively, use CD-14 wicks for most jars, and for large containers (3" and over), I double wick with CD-14. Even wicking up to CD-18 and CD-20 did not create a melt pool all the way to the container walls in apothecary size jars. Actually, double wicking is easier to get right than trying to center a single wick perfectly.

cndlrookie, your Eco-14 is the same strength as CD-14. Just try using two in a 3" jar. I'm sure it will work for you.

I tried 444 wax, the one that will supposedly accept a greater amount of fragrance oil, and I couldn't discern any better throw. Using more FO in this wax now just seems like a waste. Then there's the so-called "advanced" wax, which has NO THROW at all! I was so impressed with the perfect, creamy tops this wax made, that I ordered 50 lbs. Big mistake. There is a certain heaviness to this wax, and that may be why the wicks struggle. Fragrance certainly struggles in this wax. It can't get out!

I am also in the process of eliminating all FOs that are not nice and strong. I don't want to have to stand directly over a candle to catch its fragrance. I use 1.5 oz FO per pound of 464, and this always works nicely with oils that are assertive to begin with. Two of my strong-arm favorites are Rose Bouquet (Peak) and Fresh Lemon Sugar (Aroma Haven).

All this trial and error and testing and experimenting gets very expensive. I hope I've been able to help somewhat.

unionmaid
Johnstown, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8720660

winterrobin -- thanks for the helpful post.
winterrobin
South Dennis, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8721849

Oh, you're certainly welcome! I always hope I can be helpful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 11 Aug 10, 2014 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America