Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Soap and Candle-making: making soy candles, any wicking advice?

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 4, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cndlrookie
Hudson, FL

September 28, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #8126852

Hey out there. I am new to candle making and need some help. I am having problems with finding the right type of wick. I am using ecosoya advanced and bought the reccommended LX wick which would barely burn. I have also purchased the golden brand 464 and going to try the eco 14 wick for my 3 in container. I see this is going to be trial and error but if anyone could offer some suggestions or advice it would be great!
teamzuber
Colonia, NJ

January 17, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8316177

Hey Cndlrookie...

Unfortunately, I do not have any advice for you, but WAS wondering if you got any answers from anywhere else. I, too, am having the same issues. I'm using the EcoSoya CB-Advanced wax, a size LX-22 wick in a 8 oz. mason jar with a 3.25 diameter. I found that my candles are burning with a very small (almost none-existent) flame and tunnel through the wax. Any suggestions?
winterrobin
South Dennis, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8599619

Hi guys...are you still there?

I haven't been active on the forums for a while, and I just found this thread.

Don't you just hate those drowning wicks? I've been there. After a year and a half of experimenting with various wicks and waxes, it's down to this: I use 464 wax exclusively, use CD-14 wicks for most jars, and for large containers (3" and over), I double wick with CD-14. Even wicking up to CD-18 and CD-20 did not create a melt pool all the way to the container walls in apothecary size jars. Actually, double wicking is easier to get right than trying to center a single wick perfectly.

cndlrookie, your Eco-14 is the same strength as CD-14. Just try using two in a 3" jar. I'm sure it will work for you.

I tried 444 wax, the one that will supposedly accept a greater amount of fragrance oil, and I couldn't discern any better throw. Using more FO in this wax now just seems like a waste. Then there's the so-called "advanced" wax, which has NO THROW at all! I was so impressed with the perfect, creamy tops this wax made, that I ordered 50 lbs. Big mistake. There is a certain heaviness to this wax, and that may be why the wicks struggle. Fragrance certainly struggles in this wax. It can't get out!

I am also in the process of eliminating all FOs that are not nice and strong. I don't want to have to stand directly over a candle to catch its fragrance. I use 1.5 oz FO per pound of 464, and this always works nicely with oils that are assertive to begin with. Two of my strong-arm favorites are Rose Bouquet (Peak) and Fresh Lemon Sugar (Aroma Haven).

All this trial and error and testing and experimenting gets very expensive. I hope I've been able to help somewhat.

unionmaid
Johnstown, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8720660

winterrobin -- thanks for the helpful post.
winterrobin
South Dennis, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8721849

Oh, you're certainly welcome! I always hope I can be helpful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 11 Aug 10, 2014 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America