Barn Faces and Country Scenes Part Two

(Zone 5a)

OK, edited to add: We came from here:o)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1125824/

I love the round windows. I always think they're for barn owls.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2010 11:41 AM

This message was edited Sep 29, 2010 11:56 AM

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1125824/#new

We should have come from here.

Dahlonega, GA

Looks like this thread could go on awhile .

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I was going to say that the barn with a portrait of itself painted on the end was in the same neighborhood with an older barn that had a buck and tree painted on one end. I didn't get a picture of that one, as we were in traffic and it was by before I had a chance at it. Stan said there is at least one other barn that he's seen at one time or another. there must have been someone going around and decorating the barns.

Dahlonega, GA

Love to see that one if you get back that way

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

a lonely old, adobe house on a dark, cloudy day

Thumbnail by Kelli
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Took a motorcycle ride today up to Mentone for the Colorfest, which wasn't really colorful yet this year due to the drought. Anyway, it was a great day for a ride and the weather is specatcular. Tried to take a few drive-by photos. These first couple of photos are in Madison County in Kennamer's Cove near Cathedral Caverns. We stopped for these shots.

This one is junky and looked better from a distance. I'd love to take a look at that old truck though.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

This one is near the entrance to the caverns and I suspect may be one of the old family barns. The family ran the caverns for years, up until around the late 80's when the state finally took it over as a State Park and improved it as a tourist attraction. It really is quite good. This one is in bad shape as were most of the ones I photographed today.

The rest were in northern Jackson county or DeKalb County near Mentone, AL. Most of these were drive-by's so I apologize for the blurry pics.

And I found a red one!

This barn wasn't that interesting, but the little old building in front of it was.

This looked like an old school that has been refurbished. Behind it was a small old church. Don't know if they were on the original site.

Richmond, TX

What is the old truck, could you tell?

Any idea of the age of the old barn near the caverns? It looks really interesting.

Dahlonega, GA

I love the old , worn out barnes . If walls could talk !

PP, I have no idea, but these communities are old themselves. Their is an old Daughters of the American Revolution school in Grant, AL near the caverns that has been around for years. And the family has obviously been there for years too. The old truck looked like a Chevy to me if you look close you can almost see the emblem. I'll look again but I think that's what it is. There was a nice looking newer house across the road. I figure they owned the land and the barn and probably used it for their junk.

Mentone has the oldest hotel in the state and it is still being used. The community where I took most of the other old barn pics (Henagar) is about 10 miles from Mentone on a 2-lane county road. There are lots of pole barns that have replaced the big old barns and there were several others I could see from the road but they were overgrown. One would have to stop and maneuver to get a good photo. It's hard enough to do that in a car but a little harder to negotiate on a motorcycle.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The truck is a Chevy, late 60's or early 70's.
Boy those barns need a lot of work! LOL!
Hardly any barns left around here. Barns were tore down & replaced with single story hog barns or grain bins.

Richmond, TX

That's better than here. The old barns have been bulldozed by developers. There are new subdivisions sprawling out all around us. Where do all the people come from?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Inner cities. Minneapolis is going to close some high schools. One that was built for 2700 students now only has 261 enrolled this year.

Richmond, TX

It's crazy. These people don't really want to live in the country. They want street lights, and leash laws and storm sewers, and ruin the rural life for the rest of us...

Dahlonega, GA

Yep , what you said Pork .Most of them don't know you have to fill up 5 gal buckets , or the bathtub with water to keep for when you don't have electricity to flush toilets . Or an alternate heater , a generator for coffee and fridge , a good two burner camp stove to cook with, a 20 gal bottle of propane.I hear them complaining every winter that they had to go to motels or move in with friends or kin when we have ice storms that keeps electricity off for sometimes two weeks .I fill one bathtub for flushing when the weather threatens . Keep 5 gal buckets lined with plastic bags for kitchen use It's kinda fun to just have one light that is run off generator. Most fire places are just for looks and not heat .It wouldn't be fun to have a whole house generator that cuts on when power fails unless you live in the north ,and then they are lifesavers .If you know how , you can take a pretty darn good bath with a two quart pan of water

Richmond, TX

We lose power with nearly every thunder storm and are low priority with the light company so we do have a generator good enough to run our well. With livestock to maintain, lack of water is the worst inconvenience. (There is a river right behind us but it is 60' down - not a ready source of water.)

Dahlonega, GA

I know what you're saying . We had livestock in my earlier years .

It kills me around here too but thankfully not yet where we live. Then those who live in those new subdivisions whine and complain about the smell from the remaining chicken houses/hog barns/horses/cows, lol. Now, let's see, who was there first??

DH grew up on a farm and so did my parents so we knew how to survive without electricity and water for a few days. First thing we did when we built our house in the country was install provisions for connecting a generator to run a few appliances for emergency power.

Dahlonega, GA

Hey , if I pass a feeder lot , it doesn't stink ! That smells like money !!!!

You've got it right! Mmmmmooooooney!

Hey countryGardens - hate to hear about the sad state of schools up that way. Down here in the Huntsville area most of the schools are busting at the seams and there are several new schools being built with other older ones being torn down and re-built bigger. Of course the budget is terrible for supplies and teacher salaries, but these construction projects were earmarked a few years back. No lottery here either and proration gives a lot of our local tax money to poorer areas or the state instead of keeping it local. That's politics for you. Shouldn't even get started. I just hope our grands get a good education

Dahlonega, GA

I'll have to come back to this school conversation , I have major gripe and if I had kids in school , I'd home school them because of the" hand out , palm up "attitude the school system has. And we have a lottery

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Only schools in the major inner cities are running out of students. One school opened a couple years ago in a new suburb. I think it was supposed to handle all the kids for at least ten years. It is overflowing already.
Minnesota has open enrollment also. So kids go to school where they want to. My Grand kids live 3 blocks from a school, but go 17 miles to a school in a different town. Nice new school with more opportunities. High school there put in a new heating & cooling system recently. Grade school is a new building about 4 years ago.
Property taxes mostly fund the schools & with farmland prices rising, schools are getting a good share of money.
Farmland is around $5000.00 an acre here & no chance of going down.

On surviving the cold north, we now have an all electric house. It's been 40 years since electric has been off more than a few hours. I built the house to be very energy efficient.
Lots of insulation & low-e windows. It's nice to never worry about fuel running out. With electric heat, electric company has us on a budget so we pay same amount monthly, year around. No surprises.

Bernie

Dahlonega, GA

I have that billing here too . On my old place , down the hill, it's on budget billing and on this place its on Annual average . Love it

(Zone 5a)

I'm so behind. Just popping in to say I haven't forgotten everyone.

BBL!

Dahlonega, GA

Whur ya been , missed youns .

(Zone 5a)

Kathleen, the barn with the buck and tree would be a neat picture to get! I hope you can.

Kelli, the old adobe looks so all alone. The tree stump really adds to the picture!

Outside, I too would like to sneak a peek at the old truck. I love the simple barns and lean-to's. They all suit a purpose.

It's a shame that most of the barns of any interest are those in sad shape and out in the field all alone :o)

Smiling, if I didn't do drive-by's I wouldn't have half the pictures I have now! That's a neat one in spite of being dark, and I love the red one!

The barn has an interesting roof and I love the little one.

I love the windows in the ''old school''

Sometimes I zoom just to be able to enlarge the picture at home. It's amazing the detail you can see.

Bernie, luckily we have a lot of barns left. Those that are gone were never replaced at all, or are now pole barns. I have to try not to post the same broken down style every time.

Porkpal, I totally agree on them ruining rural life. I'm glad our town really can't grow too much.

Digger, you do learn all that after the power is out for three days and you realize you were not prepared. Oh, what I learned in three days, and I've lived in this town my whole life. We just never had straight line winds before.

Porkpal, if you have water, you have everything!

Bernie, farmland is $3000.00 an acre here. When did those prices skyrocket? I guess if you don't buy land, these things go by unnoticed. DD has an all electric house and her power rarely goes off either.

I have been trying to cram a summers worth of ''flower bedding'' into three weeks. It's the only time the weather has been fit to work out.

I have moved over 70 plants around. I know because I wrote them down and made a spread sheet! For all those plants, I mixed my compost, dirt from the planting holes, peat and lime in a wheelbarrow. I also dug out an area of wild garlic and had to just get rid of the dirt. That ate the rest of my compost.

We did take a day and go for a jeep ride and I got a picture of my smiling corncrib.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

This one is for the shadows.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

This is for the water tank.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

And, this was one long building and has some red :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I was so dissapointed when I got home with this photo! . I tried anyway! Here is an old Barn here in South Georgia where My Mom lives close to Vidalia ( yes where the sweet onions come from). It is in the middle of he most beautiful field of cotton almost ready to harvest! It looked as if it had snowed here!

This message was edited Nov 8, 2010 5:28 PM

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Wow, BP, that red one is one huge structure! Eufaula, maybe you'll get a chance to get another one, but that is a really interesting barn and it is a beautiful field of cotton. I love shots like that.

I know what you mean about trying not to post the same old broken down barns, but it seems like that's all you see more and more these days. We had to take an emergency trip to Tampa last week and DH likes to travel the back roads down through SW GA (around Bainbridge) so we saw lots of old barns. Next trip I'll have my better camera so I can take some drive by pics I hope.

These are at a place that is now a park. It used to be a citrus and cattle ranch.

Thumbnail by Kelli

another barn or shed

Thumbnail by Kelli

the same building from the other side

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Eufaula, it's still a wonderful picture! I've never seen a cotton field from a straight on view. It is so neat and I love how it surrounds the barn!

Outside, it really was long! The longest I've ever seen!

Kelli, interesting. It looks like you could live in the second one, but I imagine it's for business. I love the first because it's painted ''barn red!'' I thought maybe that was an Iowa thing :o) I'll have to Google history of red paint :o)

This was a nice farm that recently tore down the house to plow it into a field. The barn is a nice one. I was sorry to see the house was gone. It belonged to my passed friend's sister. Since Marie gave me some of her daylilies, I have a memory of Adeline.

It looks hazy because it's gravel dust. I actually waited thru the worst of it, but it just kept blowing in :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images