Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Obituary relationship listing

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I read an obituary recently list some children as "special grandchildren". I don't recall ever seeing this relationship listed, what does it signify?
Lane

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's not a standard relationship descriptor, so you'd have to know more about that particular family in order to guess at what they might have meant by it. Perhaps the grandchildren were just very special to the deceased. Or maybe they were adopted and as a way to make them feel that they were just as loved as the biological granchildren, grandma & grandpa had always referred to them as their "special grandchildren". Maybe they were disabled and so the grandparents called them "special" because of that. Or maybe they weren't related at all, but for whatever reason had a very close relationship with the deceased and so they thought of them as being their grandchildren even though they weren't and they called them "special grandchildren" to distinguish them from the real grandchildren. Probably many other possible explanations as well. Unless you have other information to the contrary (or are able to contact someone more closely related who might know more), I would assume that they are just grandchildren.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.