Thumbnail by ge1836
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8129216

Thats nice!

Heres some of my fall "wainer" containers... pathetic arent they! LOL! Been moving stuff around bringing plants up from the redneck viranda to the house porch to bring indoors...

No frost yet, but the best of the garden sure is spent!

My imps perked up.. need top cut them back so they can come in!

Dont know if Im brining the wainers in yet. They may reseed themselves and give me a nice surprice in a couple months!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8129236

nice still

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8129337

any flower this time of year is a pretty one
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #8129485

Yeah, I gotta agree there on that one! Any flower anyutime is nice!

Here are some more I brought in.. they need some pruning... Im taking the seed from the coleus...the rangy ones have babies already germed i their pots so I wil be thick with coleus maybe. I do want to get more seed from other varieties though.. I saw some very lovely orange gold ones this year at a nursery and I am drooling!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8129650

this is the first year I let my coleus go to seed... going to be fun collecting all of them

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #8129731

I never thought to collect seeds from coleus.I collect from cosmose,poppies and larkspur.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #8129738

started a seed saving thread...
go here if you want to join on!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1132079/
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #8129859

BLOSSOMBUDDY, will the coleus seed come back true to the parent plant? I have taken alot of cuttings and have some new rooted one started. I am really into the orangeish gold colors, like Sedona, and this on Rustic orange. This is an amazing coleus in a pot.

Thumbnail by happgarden

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #8129898

RO is one of my favs
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #8130172

RO has with stood terrible strong thunderstorms (50+ mpr) winds, hard rain, 113 temps, wet, dry, and my dogs...rofl. I love that coleus. It is a beautiful color and strong as nails. Course I like most coleus actually. onewish do you like sedona?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8130205

love it.. but then again I don't think there is a coleus I don't like

:)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8130679

Colues when taking cuttings will be true to the parent. That is the case with all plants

As for seed...If you have a variety of coleus in your garden that has been open pollinated by bees or other methods, chances are the seed will be a hybrid of sorts. I am guessing though as I am not positive, but that is generally how it is with other plants.

If the flowers were pollinated selectively and protected where they could not cross with others then I would say yes, the seed would be like the parent plant.

Happ, I love that gold of yours, its stunning. Take cuttings for true plants if you are to preserve it.. Cuttings are easy.. I use the snip it, dip it, plant it and water it method. You dip in rooting hormone powder and it only takes a few weeks for the cutting to root. They make nice house plants and will winter pretty good under a regular florescent light.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8131195

BlossomBuddy, I plan on overwintering my coleus and would love to share with you if all works well...LOL I will be really busy Saturday moving things indoors because we are suppose to get as low as 34. I have lots of tropicals and that is way to close to frost if I don't end up with frost... :C I took some cuttings of some of the coleus in August but I don't remember what varieties I took then.

Do you just use a normal florescent shop type light? I was thinking of getting a heat mat also. Seems I have coleus losses more about Feb than anytime and thought maybe the soil was just getting too cool.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #8132515

I agree that coleus cuttings need heat underneath to do well in cooler weather.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #8132590

Indoors in the house, I dont use a heat mat on anything.

As for lights, I have just been using a regulare shop light as you call it, not the typical grow lights which are more expensive. Does not seem to makea difference for me.

You have to water more often indoors so that could be your issue.

I find in my house, the more plants the merrier because if all are watered teh humidity goes up in my dry house and that helps the plants.

This year I moved the plant stand from the one bedroom to my livingroom and hope that will be ok there. I have two huge three teir plant stands that my hub made me with the florescent lights on each shelf. I will have to take some pics again of them tomorrow!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2010
2:57 AM

Post #8132718

not too much watering on the coleus.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #8132826

Well, to be frank, watering is a matter of your own environment and pot size.. My house is very dry so my plants dry out very fast especially the smaller pots and flats if I have started cuttings... your best is to watch the plants and let them tell you, but pot size makes a big difference. Some people put damp papertowls over their cuttings.. I dont do that, I just keep them watered a lot when they are first cut.

I water everthing thorough here in pots that are half gallon size or largerat least once a week or at the least every two weeks. Meaning I take the plant to the sink and give it a good soaking from the top. Then pick the droppings and prune if needed.

When I have started cuttings I water daily since those are in flats and it is detrimental to keep them watered to start them.

I used to beleive that this house was too plant unfriendly until I started bringing in mass pots and that booted my humidity and humidity means a lot to a plant in this house! Well, unless its a plant that likes it more on the dry side, but I water my coleus pretty often as needed.

I just pruned a pile of impatiens, coleus and some others and tossed the cuttings... Days like that I wished I had a full running greenhouse. I hate tossing cuttings.

My next thing to prune is baby sun roses... speak now if anyone wants them... I will take postage via paypal so d-mail me.

I still have imps to do, but need to pull them from the garden, pot them and then cut so it may be a few days on those too. Same deal, so if anyone wants them, let me know. I will mail them on either Tues or Thurs the week I cut and send first class priority.

Jeez, I have to also bring in my spderplants and those have babies haning on them too that I can prune. SO they are available as I really do not need any more big pots of them. There are some varigated and a green variety and one other kind.
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #8139129

Wow, Happ, that coleus is beautiful! I like the orangeish ones, too. Sedona is one of my favorites. I had never seen the Rustic Orange. Great color! And if it withstood the thunderstorms...even better! Hope all goes well for you overwintering it.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #8141078

Hi ImaMes, I still have the big plant in the pot and grew it all year like that and it was fine. I thought about doing that again, but not sure that is a good idea or not. I have not had any problems with that coleus and it is a tough as nails, no broken limbs or anything. dmail me if you would like some cuttings of it. Have to dmail me or I won't remember...LOL I know me too well. The nursery I bought it from the wife is in our MG group and her husband hated that coleus. I am not sure why but he didn't like any part of it and told me he wasn't ever gonna order it again...LOL So I have been careful to try to keep this one.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #8141438

ROTFL!!! That has got to be the best "handle" on the internet... ImaMes

Happ, save seeds on it and see if it comes true! Even if it does not, it probably will be lovely!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8141582

blossom, I will try to save seeds. Need to go check how to save seeds. Abought the only seeds I have saved are tree peony, canna, and hardy hibs. Haven't ever tried to collect anything small. I agree with you on ImaMes, wish I would have realized what I was doing when I signed up, altho I'm not too creative.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #8141704

LOL! Its not hard, just let the bloomers croak on the vine. Coleus are a very tiny seed and you can take the seed bracts and break them off and put them in a box to let the seeds fall and collect them that way. Let them dry a bit on the plant though, but not to terribly dry otherwis they will fall out and you will lose the collection of them to the pot the plant is in .. unless you want the seed in the pot! Sometimes I just break the stalks and out the staulk on the pot and replant news from it that way.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #8141768

I figured those seeds had to be itty bitty. I like BIG seeds, hard to mistake those. I will try collecting the seeds both ways and see what happens. That is must of what happened with another plant I had, cause it started growing in the pot next to it.
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #8142185

Blossom - Thanks for the kudos on my handle! Most people don't get it. LOL

Happ - I would love a cutting, but I don't have a place to overwinter it. Maybe in the Spring? I'm guessing her husband doesn't like it because he thinks it looks dead. haha. Some of the plants I like my DH thinks look like they're dead or dying. LOL
I've never collected coleus seeds, but have heard they wouldn't come true. I'll be interested to know what they look like. You may get something really unique!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #8142618

Well, happ, thats why I take the bloom branch after it is near dry, but not too dry to lose all the seed and snip it and put it in a shoe box or box of some description. You can line the box with tissue paper or paper towels to see the seed as they fall later as teh near branch is dry.

Ima, no one gets my handle either! LOL!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8142731

ImaMes, just remind me in the spring, cause I really won't remember that far away and I will be happy to give you a start. I am guessing if any starts make it that colues will be the one that will.
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #8142978

Happ - I'll try to remember to remind you. I'll probably forget by then, too. LOL

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #8143531

Girls! Mark your calenders! LOL!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #8145985

Blossom - The problem is I forget to look at the calendar! LOL!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #8146093

lol
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #8146495

LOL! MAKE THE CALENDER SEND YOU A REMINDER! LOL!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #8146614

That's what I need! A calendar that has a brain...to make up for the lack in mine! LOL!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8146767

Well because it is unseasonable warm here today I am washing flower pots to put away for the winter...I dragged them all out, and about had a heart attack! I did not realize I had collected so many. I had then scattered between the garage, house, garden room, and the shed...
Looks like I am making an attempt to get organized..."attempt" is the key word there.

Blossombuddy, I will take your suggestion on capturing the seeds. I have a box, have tissue paper, I should be good to go!

Here is one of my big containers, white bird of paradise and caladiums.

Thumbnail by happgarden

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #8147344

lovely! lovely!!!

Go to my earlier GPS threads and you will see what I do to mark mine! I cant remember what numper its on, but we did have a large discussion on calenders!

Yuppers, hot here today too. More like summer weather than fall..
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #8148633

Happ - Beautiful container!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #8149271

Thank you Ima. I was happy with the way it came out. I have a lot of misses but this one came out ok. I love caladiums.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2010
2:27 AM

Post #8149744

How can anything be bad with a caladium in it.
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8150479

Ditto!
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #8153594

I love it too.
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #8153607

I went back and read your discussion of coleus seed saving. I've saved the seed before from my giant exhibition coleus ... I like to save the seed by breaking off the branch and putting it in a longer (9in) envelope and write the name on it. Let it dry for a week, shake it and the seeds will come lose. they are little black things. You can just save it that way or put them into something smaller if you want. Oh, and I use 'used' envelopes. Recycle. :o)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8153816

I have a great book on seed saving.. I will have to hunt it down and get ya'll the title.

I have a thread goign on on seed saving too.. click on my handle for the threads I have started.. there is a bunch.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America