AuthorContent

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #8131091

Time for a new thread. We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126960/

Hot here again but not too bad. 86.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2010 5:03 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 1, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #8131154

October came in bright & sunny, a bit cool, 50.
Fall is the best weather in MN. Lots of "Indian summer" days.

We are working on the siding on the house, expanding the chicken barn, & of course doing the day to day things. Market runs through October.

Ordered chicks for October 21 delivery. 300 this year. We kept running out of eggs all summer!

Flood waters are going down & things getting back to normal. Many farmers were out harvesting yesterday. Yields are very good, I hear. Maybe some will get their wife a new kitchen!

Have a Great Day!
Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #8131184

It sounds like all day, everyday is your "busy time of the year", Bernie. LOL I could not keep up with you. You always have something.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #8132367

Warm still, mid to high 70s for a high. Tomorrow will be a cool day. High in the low 60s and in some places a chance of frost tomorrow night.

Tomorrow I have to get a couple mums and asters planted before it gets too cold. Can't put them off any longer. lol. Also have alliums to get in the ground along with jack in the pulpits. I hope I find time for all them!! LOL

My cat Little Guy aka Curly sleeping. He's so cute when he's asleep. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 2, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #8132681

Celia, thanks for starting a new thread. Great picture!
Pepper, Curly is so cute!
Bernie, you sure are busy! Glad the flood waters are going down.

It's very cold here for this time of year, only 51F=10C this morning. Only 6C=44F last night, so I've turned on the furnace. I'm going to rest more this week-end, but still have to plant some bulbs and sow grass seeds. Things are going back to normal for me too!
I've uploaded the pics from the baptism, already posted it on the other site. Here's the link to the album :

http://picasaweb.google.ro/adinamiti/BotezNicholas?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaAjYjY_c3fCg#

Look what I got from my DD's town : magnolia grandiflora seeds!!!!! I've already sown them all.

Adina

This message was edited Oct 2, 2010 3:31 AM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8132812

49 with a high of 59. N winds at 17 mph and partly cloudy. I'm glad I mowed after all! Sounds like a good day to make freezer food!

I'm behind :o)

Marsue, the Mums are going to be gorgeous color! My neighbor bought annuals to pop into pots when other annuals died back. Since I watered for her this week, I also deadheaded them. A lot of new buds are going to pop open for her!

Sunfarm. you're on my mind everyday, but I keep forgetting to say so here. I've not forgotten you!! I am praying hard that the treatments work. (((((BIG GENTLE HUG)))))

Tropic, Wow... Wow... Wow... It's that or burst into hysterical laughter at the chain of events! I've never quite heard a weather story like that :o) Good luck to you and the poor plants that came tumbing down!

Adina, another perfect picture for your desk! It's so beautiful!! He is absolutely going to be a leading man! What a gorgeously handsome guy and I love how he has changed to wanting to face everyone. He's a special little guy!

Celia, thanks for the new thread! Pretty clematis seedhead! So soft and feathery :o)

Bernie, what a great amount of chicken poop! LOL! You could compost the extra, bag it and sell it at market. I would buy it! You are incredibly busy as usual. I'm glad the flood waters are down.

Pepper, you'll get it done :o) Curley is adorable!

Adina, get your rest first! Youve had a busy time mentally and physically! Ohh, what pretty seeds! I see a magnolia hedge in your future :o)

I will get to your pictures!!

Have a good day all!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #8133280

A Farewell to Friends!

Friends, my subscription to DG will expire soon, and I have decided
not to renew it. DG has given me many positive times, but at this point I
need to concentrate on finding my place in the sun. If any of you, ever
need my assistance in any way or just wish to talk of the current years crops
please e-mail me at:

dyson.deaton@gmail.com

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #8133402

Ooooohhh... sorry to see you go. You're always interesting.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8133853

I agree with Celia. Your posts are always interesting and infomative. Will miss you on here!!

Coolish here today. High of only 59.

Spent a couple hours at The Wall That Heals this morning. It was a very emotional thing for us. We didn't expect the impact that we felt when we stood in front of the wall and saw all the names on there. There were exhibits set up with letters, which I couldn't read cause I started crying, and memorials to honor fallen soldiers. I have pics which I hope to get on here tomorrow.

All of you Veterans and those of you still in the Armed Forces, God Bless you and Thank You for your service. It is truely appreciated by me and my family.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8133867

Oh, dear. You've made ME cloud up. What a wonderful place and experience that must have been.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 3, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #8134334

Not cooling here though. We're getting close to mid spring. Also getting close to when the sun will be directly overhead. At least there has been some rain, although the rainfall has been much higher than normal for this time of year. From a September average of zero, or close to that, there's been 84.2 millimetres (3.31 inches) at my place. The wet season officially starts 1st October.

The overnight minimum temperature was 23.8C (74.8F), the maximum today was 36.7C (98.1F). Heat index today reached 45.4C (113.7F). Didn't make it easy for me clearing up the fallen tree and coconut palms, and that wasn't helped by my chainsaw playing up. It still looks like I've hardly moved anything, unless you look where I'm piling the debris up.

Out in the garden today this little fella jumped up onto my leg.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8135494

Still coolish but warmer. In the mid 60s and sunny for a high. Slight breeze. Chance of isolated frost again tonight.

This is a memorial set up at the exhibit.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #8135502

Would help to remember to post the pic. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #8136083

Tropic, he has side flaps! LOL He's neat looking. We get to see Spring through your eyes now as we head into Fall.

We had a great weekend here. Cooler temps and a slight breeze. We had some clouds move in today and we should get some rain soon.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #8136200

37 with a high of 64 Plentiful sunshine. Winds light and variable. It was chilly all day yesterday. I was only out long enough to dump peelings on the compost pile. I baked two large mutant squash and stuffed peppers. Most of it's for the freezer. Boy, miss a day and it feels like a week.

Another chilly day here. I picked all the squash the other day and now need to wash and sort. I saw borer holes in a few. They all look good for being volunteers!

Dyson, you will be missed! I hope your ''place in the sun'' is close by. (((BIG HUGS)))

Pepper, a very moving wall. I can imagine the immenseness of all the names.

Celia, I ditto that feeling.

Tropic, and this is winter? I wish my spring was just around the corner! It will be interesting to see how your rainy season goes. Smiling over the debris pile. One ''bite'' at a time and it will be done :o) We don't see many mantis. Last one I saw was last year and it was eating a cicada. Kind of an eeeew moment.

Oh Pepper, the memorial is so sad and the wall is too long.

Celia, he has hair, LOL! My, but he's a bit ugly!

Our new laminate floor is done. Winter Oak as opposed to the gold and white squares we had since 1984. I will say THAT floor help up pretty good for a ''middle of the price'' linoleum.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8136244

Just popping in to say "hi". I'm here in Branson, MO for a few days--will go down to Harrison, AR to my DD's on Wed and be there till next Monday.

No time to comment on everything but just want to say to Adina:
I enjoyed all the photos of the baptism. Nicholas was very handsome in his new white suit! It was interesting to see how the baptism is done in Romania and Switzerland and to learn about the traditions you have in the Catholic church regarding baptism.

Dyson: farewell to you and best wishes. We will miss your dry sense of humor.

Pepper: it must have been quite an experience to see the wall. I'm sure it was very sobering to see all those names.

This is the weather where I am right now--perfect! :

# Today: Plentiful sunshine. High 66F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 37F. Winds light and variable.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8136439

Dyson I hate to see you go!!! I wrote down your email addy :)

Pepper thanks for sharing your experience.

LOL Side Flaps!!

Mau hope your having a great time in Branson, and at DD!

We have cooled off considerably. It got up to 70* yesterday with some pretty good winds, last night the wind died and it got down to 40*!!! Today's high is supposed to be 71*. Luvin It!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #8136440

BP, we've named him 'Spike'. I see them now and then but don't know what they are.

MUCH cooler today but headed for a warm day. 81 for the high and rain coming. I can smell it.

"Chewing the fat with a friend."

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #8137329

Sorry to see you go, Dyson. You know that "Dyson dark" will live on in the DG folklore.

Today is 45 degrees cooler than last week at this time. We even had some half-hearted precipitation.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 04, 2010
63 F
Overcast
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 57 F
Wind: Calm

I've got some series of pictures that might be of interest to someone.
hiking in the rain http://cubits.org/dayhikes/thread/view/37285/
historic Olivas Adobe http://cubits.org/kellifornia/thread/view/37153/

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 4, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #8137594

Finally figured out the strange noise in my pickup. It shuttered on the way home, so I limped along on back roads. It is something in the drive shaft. Lucky I got home with it. A least now we know what to fix.
I bought a huge load of stuff. Some sheeting for the chicken barn & insulation. Chicken feed. And some cedar boards for trim around the front door of the house. We got a gable & the remaining part of one side done yesterday. Sure looks nice when done. My son took the chimney off on Saturday, so that won't leak anymore.
Our chicken barn is a double corn crib. We had an area insulated last year for the baby chicks, but it only holds 100. We have 300 ordered, so we are sheeting up & insulating the remaining side.
Next spring we are going to put steel roofing on as the old wood shingles are pretty bad & leaking all over. It is a very well built building & still very sturdy so worth putting some money into it. It is 2 stories high, so what was overhead grain bins will be turned into storage.
It will be the only original building left on the place other than the house.

Got some of the potatoes out of the ground this morning. Still pretty wet. Helpers said they tossed quite a few that were beginning to rot. We got enough for this weeks market, so will try again on Thursday.

Nice things are starting to slow down a bit.
Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #8138126

Still coolish but slowly warming up again.

A woman's leather vest honoring vets.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8138690

38 Dyson Dark and Kiska Chilly. We'll have a high of 69 and plentiful sunshine. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

The neighbor had a tiny aloe plant next to a milkweed plant. I noticed it needed water and found 4 monarch chrysalis on it. I didn't take the camera when I covered her mums, but one came out late yesterday afternoon and was finishing his drying. The black one, I thought would be first, wasn't.

Celia, Spike fits! Fat or spinach leaf? LOL! Cute!

Kelli, just when I think we've seen all the flowers on the mountain, you find new ones. Love the video! What a peaceful place to just sit and listen.

Bernie, I'm glad you made it home and know what to fix. It's funny to hear you call it a ''chicken barn.'' I grew up with ''chicken house.'' :o)

There are so many houses without chimneys anymore. I know trying to patch leaks around them is a pain, but I kind of miss how they look.

It is well worth the money to be able to save and use existing buildings. DD gets small batches of chickens. I can't imagine how 300 would look. I look forward to chicken pictures! Pics of the corn crib too! I hope you can salvage your potatoes. What a shame.

Pepper, a very sad jacket, but full of pride. Look at the quiet reflective faces all around.

Monarchs. I've never found more than one in my whole life and now I've found four all at once.

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #8138876

Cocoons! Awesome!!

It's another rainless day with abundant bright sun. Right now it's 38* with a real feel of 48*, expected high is 76* with a real feel of... 76*!

That's a nice leather vest.

LOL Monty!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #8139880

Warming up today. Still chilly in the mornings which I don't mind but we are getting back into the 70s in the afternoon. Sunny and mostly cloudless.

I finally got all the jack in the pulpit bulbs and seeds planted today. My nifty new bulb digger came in handy and made short work of them.

This is a wild hibiscus growing in the ditch next door. It shines like a beacon when open. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8139882

Distance shot of the hibiscus.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #8140574

43 with a high of 78 Sunshine to start, then a few afternoon clouds. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 49 min

I forgot to mention that the spiders flew the other day. There weren't a lot of long strands this year. I did get a picture of some of the cottony webbing. As the sun sets, the ground is literally covered with long long strands.

Pepper, I hope the Pulpits pop up all over the place! Wow! Love the wild Hibiscus! It really does light up!

Another nice day here. It's full speed ahead on the flower beds. Do you know how many dandelions have sneaked in? Good news is, Preen really took care of the chickweed everywhere I put it down last year. I've found very little and have been pulling that!

Cottony webbing from the spiders

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #8140671

Pepper: pretty hibiscus--they grow wild in the ditches here, too.
BP: as usual, you've pretty well covered all the comments. I just say "ditto" to what you have said! LOL

Foggy here in Branson, MO right now--can't even see the lake but the sun will burn it off soon. It will be warmer today, too.
# Today: Sunny. High 77F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 48F. Winds light and variable.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2010 7:10 PM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8140743

Branson's always foggy in the mornings it seems LOL

I've always wanted to stop and dig one of those ditch hibiscus out of the ground and put it in my flowerbed. I would love to have 1 pink, 1 white, and 1 red in my front flowerbed.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #8140766

Dyson, you're leaving a week before your birthday.

A very Happy Happy Birthday early.

I hope it's the best one yet!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 6, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8140821

More storms and rain around, but still isolated. Where I work we got 32mm (1.29 inches) last night. Another place 10 kilometres away got 120mm (about 4.72 inches). Although it keeps humidity up, it also keeps the temperatures down. Overnight minimum was 24.1C (75.4F) and maximum today was 37.6C (99.7F). The weather bureau is warning that with the La Nina effect there's going to be a big increase in the number of cyclones this season and that the monsoon will come in very heavy.

"Side flaps"? Or maybe "love handles", LOL.

Kelli, hiking in the rain isn't all that bad. New perspective, new challenges. And the photos with the water droplets look great.

BP, I like the photo of the chrysalises, good find.

One of my pineapples fruiting. Still got a bit to grow.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #8140923

Tropic, I like 'love handles' much more. LOL Thanks! Oooo, pineapple is a favorite. Yum!

Cooler today and rainy. 67 and mostly cloudy.

BP, very nice hibiscus and all your other pics are nice, too.

Waving at everyone!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #8141126

Marsue, always glad to help :o)

Chrissy, smiling over the ditch rescue. I do a lot of those :o)

Tropic, will the heavier monsoon or cyclones have any effect on your home? Side flaps had me giggling, but love handles is a LOL!

Thanks, I was thrilled to have spotted them. The dark one hasn't come out yet, but I'll bet it does today. As I bent almost upside down to look at it, I spotted one more hanging on the underside of the milkweed leaf :o)

Wow on the pineapple!! Not only pretty, but edible!

Celia, ~ back!

Hey! Tell Aurora hi for me next time you get to babble to her on the phone!

I just got started and my coffee is gone already. It's warming up fast and as soon as I get my hair braided, out the door I go.

Have a fantastic day wherever you are!!

Yeah, it's a mosquito.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8141812

Dyson Buddy I hate to see you go!
'Dyson Dark' will always remain in our vocabulary!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8141820

Warm, probably low to mid 70s, sunny, not much of a breeze.

Worked on my tulip bed some more today. Got another quarter done and have another quarter to go to finish digging. I can't wait til I get them all dug up!! LOL!

My old man Whiskers sound asleep and dreaming good dreams judging by the smile on his face. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8141934

Dyson, Hate that you're not gonna renew your subscription... :( I wish you & Sue the best. Take Care.

At the moment it's Dyson Dark & 53. It got down to 40 this morning & the high yesterday was 47. Luckily there was no frost, yet. I don't know about you all...some of you don't have the 'woolly worm', but we have them & all I've seen are black ones. As the old wives tale goes...if the woolly worm is black on the front end (the back being brown) it will be a bad weather at the beginning of winter. If the woolly worm is black at the back end (the front being brown) the weather will be bad at the end of winter. If the woolly worm is black on the front & the back end (the middle being brown) winter weather will be at its worst the beginning & at the end of the winter. Well all I have seen is totally black woolly worms! *sigh* only time will tell...

Good Night All...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #8142330

Yes, as Ric said, "Dyson dark" will remain one of our constant terms around here. We will miss the real Dyson, though! Happy birthday in advance!

Tropic: pineapples are good but when I was in Hawaii years ago, I ate too many fresh pineapples and they started giving me heartburn. Too much acid in the juice, I suppose.
BP: laughing at the mosquito--that was a big'un! LOL
Crissy: good luck with digging the ditch hibiscus! Let us know if they make it into your yard.
Pepper: Whiskers looks comfortable. :o))
Joey: I sure hope the wooly worms are wrong in their forecast! Pretty photo!

Warmer here in Harrison, AR today but not unpleasant:
# Today: Abundant sunshine. Warm. High 83F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low 52F. Winds light and variable.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 7, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #8142371

Mau are you home ?
SallyBP, you made me laugh with that mosquito!LOL Great shot!
Pepper, wonderful how the hibiscus is blooming on the field!
Joey, your forecast is similar to ours!Double sigh!
Dyson, so sorry we are loosing you here! Be well and find your place in the sun!
Tropic, I love pineapples!

It's very cold here, 51F only at noon and only 39F at night...brrrrr! The strong wind doesn't help at all!
I'm still waiting for these rudbeckia to bloom! They've forecasted higher temps starting Sunday, so I have hopes!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8143614

Warm, almost hot, with very little breeze. Sunny.

2 of my mum plants blooming. I'm loving all my mums this year!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8143635

Sorry to be MIA so much lately!
We're starting a GH build this weekend and getting our ducks in a row.
It's about a 100 mile one way trip each way.
So we're tracking down all the tools and making sure the supplies are all there so we can hit the ground running Saturday morning. Sidney you know the drill...lol!
We figure it will take about 3 Saturdays.
Hopefully the second Saturday trip will be in our new, to us, pickup truck...
a 98 Toyota Tacoma Extended cab...

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 7, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #8143957

Over 80 this afternoon. Frost this morning, first time it damaged anything & it wasn't much!
Farmers are harvesting like crazy. It's a super crop this year & prices are high. Farmers are very happy!

Market was slow today. Did get rid of most of my eggs. Carrots & potatoes sold well.
Hot peppers not much movement as tomatoes are finished here.

Going to finish a couple of jobs tomorrow. Then look at a new one. Another guy called a few days ago. Putting the final touches on the plans for the big kitchen job. They have decided on quarter sawn oak with fancy raised panel doors. That will put it at the most $ job we have ever done.
Nice to have the shop busy as long as we need to heat it anyhow.

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2010
11:23 PM

Post #8144314

My mums are starting, too, Pepper! The white ones still look a little yellow. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Awesome truck, Ric. You know I like the Toyotas! LOL You also know we want pics of that GH!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #8144373

44 with a high of 80. Plentiful sunshine. Warm. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 40 min. Dyson Dark.

Joey, love the picture! So serene!

Marsue, actually, he was a small one :o) Someday I'll get a picture of what we call ''flood'' mosquitos.

Adina, I think your Rudbeckia will bloom and be beautiful and sunny bright!

Pepper, I love your Mums too!

Ric, I can't wait to see the greenhouse! Take pictures of the work in progress! Good news on the ''new'' truck!

Bernie, harvest is in full swing here too. Especially soybeans! I noticed my hot pepers, jalapenos, had tough skin this year. We had a lot of rain and not enough sun. Almost all catfaced too. Wow, oak!! That's going to be gorgeous!

I'm still digging the last few tulips out of the garden and planting as I go. The rains compacted the dirt and really settled a lot of it into clay . I turned it and will dig it out as needed and replace with amended dirt. Then I'll throw it in the compost pile or chop at it with the shovel and try mixing compost in.

I managed to pry three Rhubarb clumps out for my brother. That gives me back some garden space.

Either way, I'm happy to be working outside!!

My squash :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 8, 2010

Post #8144486

SallyBP, cute squash! Never saw those!
Ric, where is the new GH placed?
Pretty mums, Pepper!
Bernie, how many eggs did you have?
I hope my rudbeckia gets to bloom. They forecasted a warming up for next week, up to 60F!!!!!
Still Dyson dark and cold, but the wind has stopped. It has been raining since morning, slow fall rain...yuck!
A variagated ivy I photographed in Lugano.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8144646

Ric drive careful and GH?? I want a GH but I have to take down some trees first. We have a 2005 Toyota Tundra with the TSS package, love that truck!

Sweet squash! Good eatin' too!

The mums have been blooming here for about a month now. I don't have any though.

So the next 3 days is supposed to be over 90* again! If it does get above 90* it will break a record, more days 90* or above in recorded history, we're two days shy of breaking that record right now.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 8, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8144675

Another sunny day. Sure nice for harvesting.
I only take 17 dozen eggs to market each time.
Got to go, busy day here.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8145133

Adina: no, I am not home yet--will be going home on Monday. My DD's family will be having a birthday party for 5 family members on Sunday afternoon. Our birthdays seem to arrive in groups--LOL. Should be a fun time for all of us.
Pepper: pretty mums. I hope mine will be in full bloom by the time I get home--they were just beginning to open when I left last Friday.
Bernie: at least you were selling eggs, carrots and potatoes. sounds good to me!
BP: how do you cook your squash? Steamed, baked, boiled?
Crissy: guess I should be glad I am up here in NW AR with the 90F temps ya'll are having down there in the central part of the state!

# Today: Sunny. Warm. High 83F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 57F. Winds light and variable.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8145362

I want to come up there for my birthday, or go somewhere for my birthday, I'm to the point I really don't care where and since Dave isn't working we don't have to worry about him getting the time off, but Dave wants to stay home. pppttttthhhhhh

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 8, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #8145477

When's your birthday? Mines coming soon. Come up here & we can party!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #8145627

Hot with temps in the mid 80s today. Sunny and no wind. If I remember right today makes either 13 or 14 days straight with no rain. But we finally have a small chance Monday and Tuesday.

Some more mums blooming. I got some of these from Powell Gardens last year as freebies. I got them having no clue what the blooms would look like. I love the colors of them!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
4:32 AM

Post #8146153

54 with a high of 88. Plentiful sunshine. Very warm. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 52 min. Dyson Dark, but will be darker when we "Fall Back" with the clocks.

I worked in the yard all day yesterday and can actually see some progress. 'Bout did my back in at the end of the day, turning the manure under. I took an aspirin and walked carefully till that little glitch was gone.

Adina, the colored squash is called ''Carnival'' and the dark are an acorn squash that volunteered in the compost pile :o) The ivey resembles a hosta marking. Pretty!

Marsue, sometimes split and baked with butter if I have an oven meal going, or split and steamed in the microwave. yesterday I reheated some and added half and half and brown sugar. THAT was good!

Chrissy, I have one of those stay at home guys too :o(

Pepper, great freebies! I love the suspense of ''what color?'' They are beautiful colors!

Dyson Dark, but will be darker when we "Fall Back" with the clocks.

I worked in the yard all day yesterday and can actually see some progress. 'Bout did my back in at the end of the day, turning the manure under. I took an aspirin and walked carefully till that little glitch was gone.

Adina, the colored squash is called ''Carnival'' and the dark are an acorn squash that volunteered in the compost pile :o) The ivey resembles a hosta marking. Pretty!

Marsue, sometimes split and baked with butter if I have an oven meal going, or split and steamed in the microwave. yesterday I reheated some and added half and half and brown sugar. THAT was good!

Chrissy, I have one of those stay at home guys too :o(

Pepper, great freebies! I love the suspense of ''what color?'' They are beautiful colors!

I rescued these...yes I did...

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8146311

Pretty "rescues", BP! The squash sounds yummy--just the way I like them!
Crissy and Bernie: let's have a "cyber-space" celebration for your birthdays! LOL

We're back to summer! :o((
Unseasonably warm for October, even up here in the Ozarks!

# Today: Sunny. Near record high temperatures. High 86F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 56F. Winds light and variable.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2010

Post #8147368

Too hot for October. Highs in the high 80s, sunny with almost no breeze. I want Fall back!! LOL

One of my garden beds. This one is right between where my dad and I park. The tree stump on the left will eventually be completely covered in vines. I have 1 bittersweet, 1 purple passion vine and 1 yellow passion vine on it. I can't wait til it's covered and blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8147442

Too hot here too!
We'll be paying for it!
High tomorrow will be 90!
High Thursday... 66...

Like the Stump!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 10, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #8147847

Mau, Happy Birthday for all 5 in your DD's family! Have fun!
SallyBP, I had some vines of funny squash, but they didn't do anything, just leaves. Only have that one like a pear, but only one all summer...arrgghhhh! I need to plant less so all can grow well. Your asters are still pretty...mine are all wet of so much rain!
Pepper, wonderful area for walking with your dad! Love the stump and the mums!
Crissy, we can make a party for you and Bernie here! I can bring the cake!LOL

It's been raining since yesterday, but only a few showers today and it's warmer, about 60F=15C. Cloudy again... yuck!
Sedum blooming 2 weeks ago.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #8147928

54 with a high of 84. Dyson Dark and Kiska Chilly, but I still slept with a window open. Another good working outside day :o)

Yesterday we got the Grandsons and went to Wild Cat Den. Beautiful stone walls and a lot of up and down trails. The tree roots make wonderful natural steps. I went as a teenager with cousins and we took DD when she was little. It's just on the other side of Muscatine, which in itself is a 20 - 25 minute drive from here.

Marsue, I can still see the six acorn squash halves my Mom would pull out of the oven when I was a kid. I didn't like it then.

Pepper, that is a beautiful island to park beside! Love the stump!

Adina, no rain here for at least another week. I've been toting water to the astilbes. Beautiful Sedum!!

I'll have to find time to make a hiking thread like Kelli does.

Wild Cat Den

Thumbnail by billyporter

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 10, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #8147934

Kwanjin, nothing better than home grown pineapples, picked when they're ready for eating, not just when they're ready for transport.

Billyporter, I'm about 50 kilometres inland from the sea, both to the west and the north (my place is close to a 'corner' of land). As far as effects of cyclones goes, just depends on how close one comes. The monsoon is very widespread, there's no avoiding the effects. I'm on a bit of a slope so apart from scouring, it's all short term.

Joey, "black woolly worms", sounds like they're rugging up for the winter.

Marsue, I guess I'm lucky in not having had any reaction to fruits because I really eat a lot of them.

Adina, I never buy pineapples because none of them are as good as mine. Trouble is mine only ripen this time of year.

Pepper, I've got a few stumps with things growing over them. But you don't want to be standing too close when they reach their "use by date".

My only thoughts on the subject of birthdays is they're highly over rated. I gave up having them years ago - still only 21, LOL.

I finally got my next buskwalking/hiking article up. Started mucking around with formatting and took ages to sort it out, but it's there now:
http://cubits.org/bushwalking/articles/view/675/

The weather here's still a bit odd for this time of year. A huge cloud mass streamed in from Indonesia. The rain's still a bit patchy but heavier where it does fall. Today looked like the cloud was breaking up/disappearing. Later afternoon the heat with all the humid air caused big storm build ups. The official weather station near my place recorded 29 millimetres (1.14 inches) in an hour. Won't know what my place got until I get back home on Thursday.

Minimum temperature this morning was 23.1C (73.6F), maximum this afternoon was 36.0C (96.8F). The rain's keeping the temperatures down for this time of year.

Today I found this catepillar, the larva of the Common Crow Butterfly, Euploea core. It was on an Asclepid (Milkweed family) vine that I haven't been able to identify as yet.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8148017

Tropic, I can almost taste a warm sweet pineapple.

How neat to be in a ''corner.'' I'm glad the cyclones aren't a yearly problem. I've only seen monsoons on TV. I can't imagine what it's like to be in one. How long do they last?

Birthdays. My Dad's folks stopped their's when they were 10. My Mom always made sure we had a cake, present, and let us have someone stay the night. Now, I have mine for the Grandkids sake, but no cards or gifts, and I make my own cake. I'm not sure what age I am :o)

Beautiful cat!!

I'll have to get back to the Bushwalking, but I will :o)

Have a good day all!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 10, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #8149022

Birthdays were always a big deal in my family, second only to Christmas and Easter.

I don't remember if I reported it already, but we got 0.64" of rain on Monday. That's the first rain we've had in six months. Now it is back to being hot and dry again.

BP, you are welcome to add your hikes to my Day Hikes site. It's not just for me, it's for anyone who wants to contribute. I have an Upper Midwest section that I can't contribute to myself. Start a new thread for Wild Cat Den. http://cubits.org/dayhikes/forums/view/usauppermidwest/

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on October 10, 2010
96 F
Clear
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 36 F
Wind: 10 mph from the North

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #8149076

Weather hasn't changed yet. LOL. We do have rain coming in from southern Kansas and will hit up in a few hours.

Finally got all my tulips dug up and planted. A friend came over and helped me get it done. I think she was regretting it at the end of the day because we were digging in solid clay with no amendments in both spots. LOL. But it's done and I'm grateful she came and helped!! Now just need to get some plants ready to come in and get my crocus and alliums planted. I plan on leaving a few ee's out and will bury them in coneflower stems for extra protection.

My Red Shield hibiscus bush with my zinnas surrounding it. The tree you see behind it with one limb also has a clematis growing on it. It's been a slow grower but it finally took off a bit this year. I need to get ahold of more chicken wire or other fencing to wrap around the trunk so it can cover it. It's supposed to have yellow bell shaped blooms.

Thumbnail by pepper23

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8150072

My birthday is Nov. 3rd, when's your birthday Bernie?

Adina wouldn't that be awesome, let me check plane ticket prices... LOL

It was over 90* the past 3 days and dry as a bone, which allowed us to break a record of more days over 90* in recorded history, I think as of yesterday we were at 117 days. There's a town about 10 miles East of me, Traskwood, that had 500 acres burned, it's 100% contained now but they're still looking into the cause, they're thinking Arson. The air is VERY smoky here.

There's a storm coming but it's supposed to fizzle before it gets here, again. We're in a burn ban and the person on the other side of my next door neighbor was burning last night, I told her I was going to go over there and light his a** on fire.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 11, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #8150101

Mines October 27.
Sunny & warm, high today in mid 70's.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8150343

Crissy, does the smoke make you feel like you're back in CA? It would me.

Bernie, my sister's birthday is October 27, too. She'll be 39.

Maybe some day we'll have those beam-me-up-Scotty transporters and can go all over. You never know. Thirty years ago, could you have ever conceived of anything like the internet and smart phones?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 11, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #8150354

That's what I will be, 39. LOL!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #8150368

Yep, wish I was 39, too.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8150376

Tropic, is the ocean warm all around Australia, or just in the north? It comes as a big surprise to a lot of people, including myself, that the California ocean is not warm.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #8150658

Ha! That's funny Kelli, I'll be 39 also, seriously! Me and her are the same age! I dated a guy who was 1 year and 1 hour older than me, that didn't work out too well lol!

You know, it kinda did only when there's a fire on the Altamont though.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8151133

We finally got some rain last night and this morning. Cooled us down some too so it feels much nicer. Only problem is I didn't notice too much color on the leaves til they hit the ground. LOL. I need to get out and get some pics. Sumac is changing and is a gorgeous shade of red.

Butterfly Bush 'Peacock' bloom. Has a leaf stuck on it. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 12, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8151797

Billyporter, cyclone season is officially 1st November to 30 April. But as the sea here is always above 26C (78.8F), which is the temperature needed to maintain a cyclone, historically they have been recorded in all months of the year. Monsoon is actually the prevailing wind which determines the season. So we get the south east monsoon during the dry season, not normally thought of as "monsoon" since it is dry. Then there's the north west monsoon during the wet season, which is what most people think of when they hear the word monsoon.

I remember one year when it rained for 3 months non-stop, mostly light and only sometimes heavy. Mostly the monsoon comes and goes during the wet season so you might get a week or two (or more) of rain and then periods of hot humid weather without rain, except afternoon storms.

Just now it seems like the monsoon is here early. We're getting unusually high rainfall for this time of year and low temperatures. I don't mind, although I would have liked to have done a lot more work on surface water drainage on my place. In a normal year I still would have had time.

Kelli, ocean currents generally run clockwise in the northern hemisphere. Northwards along eastern Asia and southwards along northern America. The warm water moves up northwards displacing cold water southwards, along the California coast and out to Hawaii. We're close to the equator along the north of the continent so the water circulation is always warm. The southern part of the continent the water does get colder, expecially in winter.

Minimum temperature this morning was 24.9C (76.8F), maximum today was 32.9C (91.2F). Rain is continuing and becoming more widespread, but not heavy everywhere.

I've added a map (from Google) to give a clearer picture of the layout of the land here. Islands top left are part of Indonesia, the land top right is part of New Guinea. I put in a 500 kilometre (about 310 miles) line to give a perspective on distance.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #8152227

There is NO place on Earth I can get an education like this. I love turning on the computer and finding out how Australian monsoon season works. (sort of) ^_^ Thanks for that, Tropic.

Very pleasant today. 65 and sunny. My brother is coming over to take me to lunch and watch movies.

BTW, Tropic, My DH wants to know if we can see more croc pics. He's fascinated that people do what you do.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #8152962

Coolish today with a breeze. So nice and NORMAL for October!! LOL!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #8153247

Whooo, I am too far behind to catch up by commenting on everything. Like Celia, this place is a gold mine of information to me about places far away from me, from Alaska to Iceland to Romania and now to Australia! I'm loving it!

Great photo, Pepper.

We are in a burn ban throughout most of our state. Although a couple of areas got some rain today(not where I live), we are way behind on rainfall and things are dangerously dry.

I took some photos at my DGD's house while I was in Branson, MO last week. This is the place she has sold and will be moving out of this week. It is built on the side of a hill, like most places in Branson, and there are so many trees that you can only see a portion of the house from the driveway. Here is a link to the photos for anyone who is interested in looking at the scenery around Branson. There are a couple of photos of the mist rising from the lake early in the morning. One morning it was foggy and you could only see the trees that were close to the house. Also, I took some photos of the flowers growing wild near the driveway.

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/AtKateS?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvJkJDK07m3nQE#
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8153867

32 F and heavy frost here this morning.

Thought I'd check in after a long absence. We are well into autumn here and the foliage is brilliant! I just started 2 weeks of vacation and I'll spend most of it doing photography.

Photo: Old barn near Greenville OH we passed while on the Tour de Donut bike ride.

EarlyBloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8153936

Hey, EB!!! Good to see you and your pics back.

Sunny and 69 for our high today.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #8154509

Good to "see" you again, EB. I love how you make your photos look like paintings!
Looking forward to more! :o))
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8154697

Coolish, high in the high 60s, sunny and breezy.

Got all my bulbs planted finally! And got 4 bushes planted. 3 in the ground and a new one in a big pot. I just bought a Dappled Willow today on clearace. Hakuro Nishiki. Haven't researched it but I liked the pic. LOL. Plus I like willows. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #8155189

40 with a high of 71. No rain yet. Sunshine and clouds mixed. Winds WSW at 15 to 25 mph. It will be a little warmer than yesterday. I worked out all afternoon putting plants back that are wild garlic free. I've been digging them all out over the last two days, discarding the dirt and replacing it with composted dirt, peat and lime. Then, put most of the flowers back after I removed all the dirt from them.

Thanks Kelli! I didn't know there was a hiking thread. I will add to it since I did have more pictures.

Pepper, laughing over the friend who came to help plant tulips. I'll bet in the end she was glad she did help and will be back next spring to see what ''she'' did. I love the hibiscus surrounded by the zinnias. It really makes a statement! I also love the two trees separating the horses. The road is all lit up all around and it all balances the open space to the right. Nice composition :o)

Chrissy, that is so dry and hot. I hope the arsonists aren't having fun. A few years ago someone set a bunch of little ditch fires around here. At first it was kind of funny, but then you felt for the firefighters who spent all day out, when they could have been home. Most of them are also first responders.

Kelli, I think Google Earth is the closest we'll have to ''Scotty beam me up's" :o)

ROTFL over all the 39's!!! My SIL gave me a wooden heart that says 29 and holding :o) (I adore Jack Benny!!)

Pepper, Peacock is a lovely color. My bush is all done :o(

Tropic, I never knew a monsoon was the wind. 6 months of cyclone season. We could have up to 5 months of tornado season, but mostly worry in March and April. It's nice to see your ''corner'' of the world :o)

Celia, I ditto the education opportunities! What a cool brother :o)

Pepper, our weather is finally being October too. Love the butterfly!

Marsue, I'll have to get back to your pictures. But I will!

Howdy Early! Good to see you since I was just thinking about you the other day. (Honestly!) I love old barns!

Pepper, I love the bells. They are really neat! So are the zinnias you've had bloom! I also love the French Marigolds. Mine ended up being tall and I think I like them better than the small one's I had before. They take more room, but have a lot of color!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #8155219

Finally, a bit of rain 0.46" yesterday evening and into the night. We are several inches behind, though not officially in drought as is western and central Kentucky.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #8155447

Good morning, all!
Pepper: LOVE the picture of the zinnias and the colorful bells!
BP: didn't you say over at the "other place" that today is Dyson's birthday? If so, I hope Dyson is still on DG and reading this. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DYSON!

Sunfarm: glad you got a little rain--there has been NO rain in my neighborhood for a month or more although a few portions of the state have received some rain. We have many counties that are still under a burn ban.

# Today: Plentiful sunshine. High 76F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low 47F. Winds light and variable.

view from my DD's driveway last Sunday. As you can see, there is very little color on the trees right now. Their "high season" for color will probably occur in about two weeks.

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8156418

Coolish still with a high of 70 something and strong breeze.

My new shade bed. Only thing planted right now are BP's jack in the pulpit.

Thumbnail by pepper23

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8156480

A great fall day today! Lot's of sun after the big T-Storm last night! Loved it!

Sally, I forgot to even check my rain guage! LOL!
E_B! Great Shot! I showed it to a guy at work & he thought that it was painted! :D Yer Goooood! :D Love the barn...
Pepper, Nice shade garden!

Hi! & Good Night All!

Here's yesterdays drive home...hate to have the power lines in it, but haven't 'fixed' it yet...

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #8156866

45 with a high of 67. Sunny. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 54 min.

Sally Sun, a bit of rain leaves you wanting more. I hope you can catch up with those cold November rains. I hope today is a good day for you! (((Gentle hug)))

Marsue, his subscription has run out, so you could e-mail him. Your daughter may have to take a few pictures of her house and mail them to you so we can see the difference in tree color.

Pepper, a perfect place for the Jacks!!!

Joey Joey, smiling over the rain guage! It's hard to get a picture without antennas or lines :o( I love the rounded trees and mountains setting off the sky. I miss seeing the clouds here, but we need the sun to keep it warm. I hate a cold wind in my face!

Back to the beds today to see what else I can accomplish.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8156905

BP: unfortunately, my DD is not much of a photographer--she leaves that to other family members. I don't think she even has a digital camera-except for her i-phone! LOL
Joey: speaking of power lines, my subdivision (less than 10 years old) all has underground electric; the houses across the road are all older (40 plus years, mostly) and they are all on a different electric service than my s/d. They also have overhead lines. Now that power co. has power lines that come across the yards of those of us who live on my side of the rode and one of their big poles is in my side yard. That power co. promised to move their poles and lines when this s/d was being built but have they ever done that? NO. so when I am taking photos of sunsets or the flowers in my front yard, I have to deal with trying not to get the power lines in the photo which can be difficult, at best. I realize this is certainly not an earth-shaking problem to have and I am thankful for electricity -YES- but the power lines and the pole in my yard are just a little pet peeve of mine. I'll get off my soapbox now. LOL
See photo which I took yesterday. This is looking north toward my neighbor's house--those are their cars on the other side of the pole. Not only can you see the power lines but you will notice how dry the lawn is from lack of rain. We are under a burn ban in about 2/3 of the counties here in our state.

It will be warmer today. Still no rain :o(
# Today: Sunny. Warm. High 82F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 44F. Winds light and variable.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #8156977

Marsue, that's too bad. Maybe she needs to get a camera for Christmas. I'll bet she would get hooked. I was never a photographer either because I was afraid to waste film. Look at me now! I had to get an external drive to hold all my pictures!

There is no reason for power lines to be above ground any more. They are my pet peeve too, along with roof antennas. (And I have one myself :o)

Your weather sounds great. I'm freezing, as we don't have the furnace on. Why? I'm not sure. I doubt we gather much heat today.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8157356

Mau, we have the exact same power line situation in our yard. Where I grew up, the power lines were on the street, but here they run through the back yards. We have the utillity easement on our side, so at least we get a little bit larger yard because of it. Once or twice a year, a tree service for the power company comes around and trims branches out of the lines. They're friendly and seem to be pretty careful and don't trample my stuff. The screwiest thing though, is that our electric meter is on the back of the house. Sometimes the side gate sticks and the meter reader has to be let in. The circuit breaker box is also outside. Weird.

We have a roof antenna, too. We don't need it anymore and it should be taken down. It looks pretty trailer-trash. (No offense to those living in trailers.) It just provides a perch for the mockingbirds to sit and poo invasive plants seeds all over the place. I guess it could be taken apart or bent up and put in the recycle bin.

Some day, maybe 100 years from now, those antennas will look quaint. Do you think that 100 years ago, people thought their outhouses or laundry hanging out looked quaint?

Cloudy today and not exactly Octoberan, but I'll take it. At least is reduces fire risk.

Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on October 15, 2010
61 F
Overcast
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 4 mph from the SSW

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8157367

Mau, I agree with BP that your DD would get hooked on photography if she had a good camera. ^_^

Kelli, we have a roof antenna, too. It is only one of 2 in the whole area, I think. I keep threatening to get on the roof and take it down myself but I don't want to hit the fence when it goes crashing to the ground! LOL

59 now and 76 for the high.

The Dusty Miller is blooming again.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #8157487

Nope, ya'll can forget about my DD getting excited about photography--just like she isn't excited about flower gardening. :o~ She likes flowers and she likes photos but just doesn't want to get involved in those activities herself. She thinks we have so many photographers in our family that we really don't need another one. LOL

Celia: it has been years since I have had a Dusty Miller plant. I forgot that they bloomed! Pretty pic!

Moonvine blossom

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #8157494

Celia: you are in zone 5. Will you go here and answer this lady's question for her? Thanks.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1135197/

or maybe one of you who live in Ohio can answer it for her. :o))

This message was edited Oct 15, 2010 11:59 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8157512

Done!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #8157761

:o))
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8159664

Hot and sunny. I want it a bit cooler again. LOL

Here is my tree stump with all the vines on it. It is covered in chicken wire so that the plants have something to grab onto.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #8160557

The past few days have been cloudy and dark, more like June than October. It's got to be good for the plants. Some of the wild grass is starting to come up.

Updated: 9:16 AM PDT on October 17, 2010
63 F
Overcast
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 57 F

some hiking pictures here featuring the usual hodgepodge, but with an emphasis on massive oaks http://cubits.org/dayhikes/thread/view/38711/

Check out those ears

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #8161190

A little bit cooler than what it has been today. Probably mid 70s. Sunny, not much of a breeze.

Other side of my tree trunk. The other side has bittersweet on it and this side has purple passion vine, which you see, and yellow passion vine which is still only a few inches tall.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #8161702

Ric notified me early this morning via cmail that Robyn's sister passed away at about 1:45 a.m. She had an asthma attack earlier in the evening that precipitated a heart attack. They were able to get to Dayton and see her before she passed.
Please keep Robyn, Ric and the family in your thoughts and prayers.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 18, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #8162422

I've been busy with doing pickles this week-end. It's been cold and raining ...yuck.
Ric, send Robyn my condoleances for her loss, I'm so sorry. Will keep her and family in my prayers.

Exciting day for me today, an article about me appeared on the other site :

http://cubits.org/WhosWhoSpotlight/articles/view/683/

Finally, my rudbeckia is blooming!!!!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #8162461

Big big big big hugs for Robyn and Ric, and deepest sympathy to you both.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 18, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8162789

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Nice day again. Sunny, but cool. Beautiful for this time in October.
No rain since the big flooding rain in Sept.
Farmers are finishing up the harvest. Corn is running very good. Dry enough so they don't need to use corn driers. Poor gas companies can't sell any propane! Chuckle.

I am going to get the garden finished off this week. Still have to build a couple of greenhouses & we have a huge amount of cabinet work. Nice to be busy!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #8162978

Coolish and scattered rain.

Caught a cold last night so now fighting it. I can't wait til it's gone!!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 18, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #8163315

Kwanjin, weather is a very complex topic and I can only give a rough overview of the local situation. I'd like to be able to understand it better myself. On your crocs question, I'll set up a page on local animals on the other site. There's lots of photos I can post.

Billyporter, one thing about cyclones, you can see them coming a long way off. Tornadoes give little warning. Although often there can be a lot of tornadoes embedded in cyclones, but you still know a couple of days before.

Music2keep, great photo, took the liberty of 'removing' the powerlines but can't post it without automatically getting a copyright on it. But it does look good.

Marsue, underground powerlines became a bit of a hot topic here again a couple of years back when Cyclone Helen came through and some places were up to 2 weeks without power. They'll forget again, until the next one. Sorry to hear that bad news. Had a friend a few years back who had a very severe asthma attack and passed away.

Weather's been unusual for rain. I've had 122.6 millimetres (4.83 inches) so far this October. Not complaining though, because it can get so hot this time of year the rain helps keep the temperatures down and the garden coping better.

Sunrise at my place yesterday morning.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2010
10:24 PM

Post #8163583

Let me know where to go, Tropic and I'll be a regular visitor. ^_^

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #8163834

Thanks Tropic! If you D-mailed it to me would it get a copyright? I touched it up here at work, but it needs a little more tweeking...see what you think.

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8163926

Doing the happy dance here! It is actually raining! Yesterday, I bought paint for painting the porch columns--should have bought it weeks ago! LOL (kind of like washing your car--if you wash it, here comes the rain. If you don't wash it, no rain!)

Currently 60F on my back porch.

Here's proof!

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #8164013

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring!!!! Woo Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave washed my car last Saturday, before that it had been at least 6 weeks since I'd washed it. Funny how that works!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 19, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #8164347

Crissy, same for me about the car...or windows!LOL
Tropic, what a beautiful sunrise!
Hurray for the rain, Mau! Great sky!

It's been raining here all day, strong wind and Dyson dark...grrr!

Nicholas has a new seat!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8165179

I couldn't tell you the last time I washed my truck. Maybe this past summer? Maybe. I don't honestly remember. LOL

Coolish with a high in the low 60s. Mostly sunny.

Curly's latest bed. For some reason he loves my room now and especially sleeping in front of the mirror. Crazy cat. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8165247

"Vanity, thou name is cat." LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8165657

45* and looking to be a nice day. I'm very behind, but I'm reading :o)

I've accomplished a lot outside and have until Saturday to finish up. We are finally to have rain then.

Gotta keep moving. It's 6:35 am and the moon is bright!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8165806

Yeah, BP: I was outside with Friday for his morning "constitutional" at 6:30 a.m. and it was still dark! I think I will be glad when daylight savings time is over for this year. I don't know which is worse--dark in the morning or dark earlier in the evening (like at 5 p.m.)!

# Today: Partly cloudy skies. Warm. High around 80F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 48F. Winds light and variable.

Supposed to have a better chance of rain this week-end. Sure hope it materializes!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8165955

When daylight savings time is over it's completely dark by the time I get home from work, and I hate that.

Me too Mau! They took it from 40% chance of rain down to 20% last night. uuuugggggg

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #8166551

[quote="crissyr"]When daylight savings time is over it's completely dark by the time I get home from work, and I hate that.
[/quote]

It will be on November 7 to change the clock backward...

I has nice raining and thunders at late night 2 days ago... Will be more raining this weekend...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #8166818

Nice day today. Highs in the low 70s so it was decent. Cold is almost gone so I was able to enjoy it some.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #8167427

40 now, with a high of 63. Cold day ahead!
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 23 min
Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady in the low 40s. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Dyson Dark and Kiska Chilly

Vicki, thanks! I sure miss everyone too. I think our rain chances are iffy, but at least someone is getting rain :o)

Marsue, I have grown accustomed to the time changes. I miss the late days, but it gives me a sense of winding down and preparing for winter. I like the idea of bundling up and being cozy inside while it's snowing or blowing outside.

Rusty, I hope your rain is coming my way. I've done most of the big things on my list and could use some rain to soften the dirt.

I spent yesterday cutting back the rest of the seed heads. The country is full of weed seeds so I decided to let the birds work on those. I'll put out seeds here whern the snow flies.

It was windy again and filthy. Every time a truck or tractor drove thru Nichols Ag, they raised a cloud of who knows what, fertilizer laced dust.

I stripped the garden of all but the cabbages. Sauerkraut is in the plans this week.

Lets have pie.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #8167482

Yum! Cut me a slice, Sally.
No rain anywhere near here, either. We sure could use some. It has been a week since we got less than half an inch.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #8167493

Sunfarm, how big? I swear, someday I am going to sit down and eat an entire pie! (I say that every Thanksgiving when I'm making pumpkin pie :o)

Hope you are up and around more. I say my gardening prayers every day!

BIG HUG!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8167577

quoted from BP: "Marsue, I have grown accustomed to the time changes. I miss the late days, but it gives me a sense of winding down and preparing for winter. I like the idea of bundling up and being cozy inside while it's snowing or blowing outside."

BP: I like the idea of spending all winter at a place in the Caribbean, sunbathing on the beach or searching for seashells while watching the waves roll in! You can have your snow and wind! ROFLOL (Of course, that won't happen unless I win the lottery! *big grin*) The pie looks yummy--do you have ice cream to go with it?

big hugs to everybody today! :o))

# Today: Abundant sunshine. Warm. High around 85F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Clear to partly cloudy. Low around 50F. Winds light and variable.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #8167676

DST ends the same week as my birthday, sometimes it happens on my birthday, this time my birthday is 4 days ahead of it. I get voting and the end of DST. Woo Hoo!!!

My weather is the same as Mau's.

I need a summer house in Alaska and a winter house in Nassau. LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 21, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #8168355

We got over 0.5" of rain Monday through Wednesday which means we've had over 1" for the month of October. That is a good bit for this month.

It's been kind of on the cool side for a few days now.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 21, 2010
64 F
Overcast
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 56 F

Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #8168418

A couple mornings ago as an ocean storm pulled away. From the kitchen porch.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #8168589

LOL, Crissy, at summer house/winter house!
Kelli: you've had more rain this month than I've had!
Gorgeous rainbow, Andy P!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #8168599

High of 70 and sunny. A really nice day all around.

Thumbnail by pepper23

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 22, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #8168935

Andy, amazing rainbow!
SallyBP, I want a slice too!
Sally sun, sending thoughts and prayers your way. How are you after a week of chemo?
Mau, I want to go to the Carribean too!!!
Crissy, LOL...me too!LOL
Pepper, gorgeous mums!

If you have time please check my article, will remind you of summer :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3020/

My mums are blooming too.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #8169140

33 with a high of 71
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 50s. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Rest of day. Mostly sunny. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 16 min. Sunrise: 7:25 am
Moon Bright.

Marsue and Chrissy, ROTFL!!! After all thet hot summer weather you're ready to bask in the sun!

Yep, any flavor cyber ice cream you like :o)

Kelli, that much rain!

Hi Andy, how beautiful to see an October rainbow!

Pepper, those are beautiful speckles! Are tey mums?

Adina, such pretty mums. It's nice to see the lighter colors. I love your story and the fact that you brought the flowers into your own flower beds! I think the pictures are beautiful and so many are flowers I love too. They really planted a good selection, and look how you filled your beds. ROTFL over too much toast!

A warmer day than yesterday and I'll be in the flower beds again. We got a little frost last night. I covered the 5 cabbage plants with buckets and am going to harvest today. Sauerkraut is in the plans.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8169348

Maybe a summer house in Alaska and another summer house in Australia, that way it will never be winter! LOL

It's sunny and supposed to be 85* today.

Sweet rainbow Andy!

Pep and Adina lovely flowers!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 22, 2010

Post #8169546

Being from the frozen north, I would stop in KY for a winter home. I would have to be somewhere where I could do something constructive, not lay on a beach all day.
Windy & warm here today. Expecting rain the next few days.
I treated my thistles yesterday, so warm weather is good. Will plow my land next week.
Going out to clean Glads now. Our helper has been working on them, big job.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 22, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8169566

SallyBP, that toast is still on me!ROTFLOL Thanks for reading my article and for the good words, I appreciate it.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #8169591

Weather is decent today but cloudy with rain moving in. Perfect setting for the mood my town is in.

We had an armed robbery this morning at the store where I work. No one was hurt but they were terrified and are tramatized by it. The robbers managed to escape before the cops arrived so they are still on the loose.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/25475571/detail.html
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #8169593

Weather is decent today but cloudy with rain moving in. Perfect setting for the mood my town is in.

We had an armed robbery this morning at the store where I work. No one was hurt but they were terrified and are tramatized by it. The robbers managed to escape before the cops arrived so they are still on the loose. I was not there when it happened but I know all but the doughnut guy.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/25475571/detail.html
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #8169896

Wow!! That's scary!!!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8170254

Yikes, that's scary, Pepper!

Crissy, I'll bet you know what kind of tree this is.

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #8170909

57 with a high of 70. It's raining! I heard it around 3:00 am and just saw lightning from the south east. We have a bit of thunder and lightning. Oooh, it's really pouring now!
Through 11am: Showers and thunderstorms ending by late morning. Cloudy with temperatures reaching the low 60s. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Then the chance of scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Chance of rain 80%.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 1 min

I watered yesterday, everything I transplanted, and even tho it DID rain, I'm still glad I did. I have 5 heads of cabbage in the garage, the crock washed and the stomper and board DH made for me all oiled and ready.

Chrissy, I'd be happy with your 85* right now :o)

Bernie, I think Kentucky would be a great place too. Nope, I couldn't sit idle for long either. I hope you get your work done before the rains. That's what I was aiming for and am happy to have a day inside now.

Adina, ROTFL!!! Toast will now crack me up for a while!

Pepper, I would feel terrified too, and want to punch them in the groin as hard as possibe.

Kelli, I love big trees!

My board, to set on top of the kraut to keep it under the liquid :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8172006

Pepper: I am so glad you weren't at the store when the robbery took place. That must have been a really traumatic experience for those who were there!
Bernie: I couldn't lay around on the beach all day either for more than a few days but every now and then I do enjoy getting away from the everyday stresses of life.
Adina and Pepper: loving the mums. My yellow mums have been blooming for several days now and the red ones are just beginning to bloom. Adina, I'll check out the article when I leave this thread.
BP: I was going to ask you what the "board" was but you have answered my question. Loving your personalized board! Now tell me what a "stomper" is, please.
Our schools were out yesterday for a teacher "in service" day--whatever that is. Zach. my DGS, stayed with me. He helped me paint my porch column. He did the bottom half and I did the top half. The columns are wood and the bottom portion of them had starting splitting pretty bad so I had to fill them with wood filler. Then I sanded the columns and Zach went to work painting. He loves to help with things like that and he does a pretty good job, too. There is only one side of one of the columns that I am going to have do over. Today I painted the back door. Next week I will paint the 4 columns on the front porch.

It was a pretty day today but a bit windy. Rain is supposed to move in tonight and continue tomorrow. Hooray!!

This message was edited Oct 23, 2010 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #8172129

Coolish now and dark. Rain off and on all day. Can't tell by radar if it's gonna rain anymore tonight or not.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8172982

Nothing but a "smattering" of rain at my house yet but they are still promising. . .
# Today: Variable clouds with scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly during the afternoon hours. A few storms may be severe. High 84F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms, especially during the evening. A few storms may be severe. Low around 60F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #8173111

Well I just got in from raking the deck and boardwalk clear of leaves.
Almost filled the 1st Banana Cage for winter.
It appears we didn't get a frost or freeze here.
Nothing is damaged in the least.
73 and climbing.
Opened all the windows to suck in the heat...lol!
So far we haven't started the furnace yet.

Well the ordeal is over.
Well the ceremonial part anyway.
Visitation was Thursday night w/ a huge turnout.
Funeral was yesterday morning.
Then a luncheon at her church.
Robyn sends her sincere Thanks for all the thoughts and hugs.

Yesterday we drove 2 hours and started the GH at Taynors.
Got a good bit done.
Stopped on the way home at Joycet's house for their Fall Bonfire.
Had a good meal visited for an hour or so then headed home.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #8173618

I'm sure the bonfire, meal and visit was a nice change of pace for you and Robyn after the stress of the past week, Ric. Big hugs to both of you.

Still no rain here but it has been cloudy and cool all day. "They" are still promising rain. We'll see. . . Oh, it is getting darker--but wait--the sun is going down! LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 24, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #8173815

We got rain over night. Don't know how much as the rain gauge has been put away for the winter.
Went to the Farmers market for the last time on Saturday. Sold 52 dozen eggs & 4 strands of hot peppers. It was a nice day again. Fairly good crowd for this late in the year, but with no frost yet, there were lots of vegetables for sale.
Might get out & take flower pictures tomorrow. Lots of blooms yet that in a normal year would have been long gone.

Yesterday afternoon we sold 90 of the laying hens. Their replacements are growing fast. Already little wing feathers showing. They were hatched Wed.

Nearly all corn & soybeans are harvested here. Weather was great all through the harvest. Corn was dry enough that no corn driers were used. Poor gas companies couldn't sell any propane!
Yields were good also.

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8173937

Yes it was Mau.
Today we basically just 'vegged'.
I raked the leaves off the deck and laundered my work clothes.
Sat and watched my Browns whip up on the World Champion Saints.
Then watched Robin Hood.

Bernie I'm sure the last market has mixed emotions for you.
Sounds like you had a wonderful year!
But I'd say you could probably use a rest also...

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8173967

Coolish, sunny, windy, and drying out from yesterday's storms.

Fungi growing at the base of my stump.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #8174518

Bernie: I'm curious. Who buys the "old hens" and what do they do with them? How long do you keep your laying hens? Are they good for just one season? If so, why? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL
Pepper: neat photo of the fungi. Somewhere around here (haven't seen it since I moved into this house 4 years ago--may be packed away in a box in the garage) , I have a big beautiful piece of fungi which my boys found on a rotting log years ago (back in the 70's). It was perfectly round and looked like a flower. I had it framed in a shadow box and hung it on the wall as decoration.

We did get a little bit of rain just before sunset last night and it must have rained some during the night, too, because the patio was wet when I got up this morning. It wasn't much but we'll take it! We sure need some more rain, though!
Here's a photo I took after the little rain shower. Those lights to the bottom right are my neighbor's halloween decorations. The lights are on the legs of a giant spider which they have spread out across one of their shrubs. They also have some blow-up figures of spooky characters in their flower bed and on their roof. My dog Friday spotted them yesterday and started growling and barking at the "strangers". LOL

This message was edited Oct 25, 2010 6:07 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #8174547

54 with a high of 78 We ended up with 1.5'' rain. We needed it! The ground was cracking all over! In the southern counties there was a tornado watch. We don't hear that very often on October.

Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 50s. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

A mix of clouds and sun early followed by cloudy skies this afternoon. Warm. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 7 min. The day is getting away from me!

Marsue, stomper picture to follow. Zach is so lucky you let him help, and the picture is adorable! They just love doing the real things. You're quite the handy man yourself :o) Bright pretty impatiens! All of your plants contribute to a picture of color! I'm jealous :o)

Pepper, love your back-lit bloom! I hope the rain washed our spider webs away. I was tired of seeing them.

Ric, this year I was lucky. The leaves of the walnut dropped while I was still mowing and I chopped them all up. Now, the Maple won't drop till the weather turns cold and wet and it's no fun raking. I hope the cyber hugs helped. It's especially hard to lose someone before the Holidays. My best to all of her family.
You had a very good day Saturday. Just what both of you needed. (((BIG HUGS)))

Marsue, gently smiling over the sundown. I do hope you get rain.

Bernie, awww on the baby chicks. That is one of my earliest memories. I was two when we had baby chicks and I remember walking across the road with Mom to see them. Later I remember her feeding them in the fenced in area. My daughter uses my Grandma's heat lamp, nesting boxes and roosts now. The dryers across the street here are barely running either.

Pepper, cool fungi! It goes well with the color of the Mums.

Yesterday, it was nice, but too wet to do anything outside, so I cleaned my computer up and deleted a lot of ''I'll read laters."

Cabbage and stomper coming up.

I grew the cabbage from seed :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #8174549

The stomper is 28'' long.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #8174561

We sell the old hens to people who are using them as layers. They started laying in March, so are in their peak right now. The reason we sell them is that we don't need all the eggs in the winter months.

I went out early this morning & worked on cleaning Glad bulbs. Anyone wanting to help is welcome!
Pictures later today.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #8174584

Catching up...

We woke to this this morning...good thing we fired up the furnace last week. 40s and a possibility of more snow.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #8174648

Marsue, somehow I missed your post and photo :o) How cool to look out and see the halloween decorations and good for Friday to spot the intruders. Witches, beware of dog!

Bernie, you have quite a job ahead of you. I guess could dig my few glads and callas anytine now.

Celia, just think, snow brings in different minerals than rain. This is only temporary. Tell me it's temporary!!

I'll have to admit it's a beautiful picture! I couldn't believe all the colors here after it rained. I was so used to dirt flying everyday that I didn't notice it coating all the plants and grass.

Have a wonderful day all!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #8174655

That's what I was telling Darrell today, BP. LOL He wasn't pleased.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #8174676

BP: now I know what a "stomper" is. LOL thanks. I learn so much here from my friends across the world! Personally, I am not that crazy about sauerkraut but I will eat it if it is on the menu at a friend's house, etc. About the only two foods I absolutely will not eat anywhere, anytime are liver and beets. (add boiled okra to that list, too! LOL)
Bernie: I'm glad you don't sell your hens to people who are going to eat them--it would seem to be a cruel thing to do to hens who have performed so well for you! (although I don't feel a bit guilty about eating chicken! LOL)
Celia: snow! Weren't you in the 80's just last week? I guess it is safe for me to send you that canna now. LOL I'll try to get out there today and dig one up for you--or would it be better for you if I wait till spring?

I captured this late-season monarch on the milkweed a few days ago.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8174686

This will be going away soon so it's okay to send the cannas. Thank you!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #8175078

Celia, the only good snow is the first, calm, puffy flake, snow. After that, wah!

Marsue, what a lovely picture with the fence in the background. Very nice!!

It's cloudy and breezy here. I'm eating a red delicious apple we picked from a friend's tree last month. It's crispy and juicy!

Everywhere I watered, was plants I dug and reset. Most of this area had the wild garlic and I had to toss all the dirt.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #8175190

Went out with my camera.
A light blue Iris blooming. It started about early Sept.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #8175200

Another, yellow Iris.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #8175203

A bed of volunteer Cosmos.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #8175205

Some roses.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8175208

By the back step.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #8175210

Middle of the back yard.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #8175212

Glads waiting to be done.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #8175216

One tray of done Glads.
Amazing to have all these flowers blooming at the end of October!

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #8175355

Wow look at all those glads!!

Mau we got a real good soaking of rain yesterday. We went into a tornado watch at about 2pm til 10pm, thought at 5pm things would be hopping pretty good, sure enough we had a severe thunderstorm go just barely to the north of the house so got some rain from that, then we had a huge swath of regular ole normal thunderstorms for about 3 hours straight. It was wonderful! Maybe I'll dig some holes for my 40 tulips after work.

Kelli I believe that is a black oak tree. We didn't have those in Modesto too much, think the elevation's too low, they show up around the 1000 to 3000ft elevation east of Modesto.

Pretty snow, glad it's not going to stay around, kinda early isn't it?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8175631

Bernie, that's quite a show-in-waiting with those glads! I can't wait!

BP and Crissy, historicaly speaking, this is right on schedule. We'll warm up then get cold and more snow. It's onlt been the last few years the snow has waited for Nov./Dec. or so.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #8175763

Just to brighten up things, this is a few years ago.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #8176056

Love all the flowers, Bernie! I'm surprised you have so many in bloom this late in the season way up there in MN. That's a lot of glads!

Celia, I'll get the cannas in the mail by Wednesday.
Crissy, sounds like you got a lot more rain than I did. Charlotte did, too. Next time, send more of it up my way. LOL
I got some clean-up work done in the back flower bed this afternoon. It was warm enough that I worked up a sweat!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8176080

Warm, cloudy and breezy today.

Close up of the fungi.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8176112

Celia...ACKKKKK!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
10:21 PM

Post #8176523

All the snow is gone. Temps will be rising into the mid-50s and mid-60s by the weekend.

44 F right now.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 44 F
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.81 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: .40 out of 12Clouds: Few 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8176770

57* and windy. We had rain in the night and a tornado watch till 6:00 this morning. It will get windier this afternoon.

It's grey, windy and cool today. I'm glad I went out and finished up yesterday. I set a couple of small pots in the ground and I had to wash the shovel instead of taking a putty knife to it. We are plenty wet!

Yesterday, the blackbirds and cool breeeze sounded just like a spring day. Sniff.

It's light out now. I see we got 3/10'' rain and it's still spitting.

Bernie, lovely blue and yellow Iris. Are they rebloomers? Beautiful spots of color left! Wow on all the Glads! All those pictures make me long for Spring.

Chrissy, are tornado watches normal for you this time of year? They aren't for us!

Celia, how interesting to have had snow earlier than October.

Bernie, wonderful!! Those are Glads to be proud of!!

Pepper, beautiful fungi!

Celia, big smile! Now it can warm up a bit!

Pepper, for you. DH found these and brought me ''flowers.'' I really had trouble focusing. My camera doesn't do whites and yellows very well. I needed that magic button.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8176772

They were really pretty.

Thumbnail by billyporter

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 26, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #8176819

Got a bit of catching up here, but just on a few points...

We don't have daylight saving. The difference between the longest and shortest days is only a bit over an hour. Some parts of the country (down south) have it so if you're ringing people there it does make a difference.

My mother used to make kraut and I like it. But the bought stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

There's no snow here. I spent a few years in Europe some time ago and got to experience snow in winter. It was nice out in the country where the snow was clean, but I can live without it despite having taken a real liking to skiing.

Got an interesting surprise at work yesterday. Went out to retrieve a trap from an area likely to be shortly cut off by the developing wet season. When I got there the trap had been sprung and I thought it may have been by a Freshwater Crocodile. When I got onto the trap and moved back the shade cloth, through the reflections on the surface of the water I made out a fairly large head. We'd got an Estuarine Crocodile, over 2.5 metre (8.2 feet) long. It's been decided to put a satellite tracker on it, probably tomorrow. We'll get exact measurements then as well. I'll take photos of the process and post some.

The weather's dried out, sort of. It's still very humid but getting hotter with the lack of rain. Has been mostly sunny for the past week. Maximum temperature today was 37C (98.6F) after a minimum this morning of 23.8C (74.8F).

Mixing up some soil I found this little fellow. It'd been camping in a opened bag of potting mix. About 110mm (4.3 inches) long.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8176822

BP yes tornadoes are popular in the fall, not as much as in the spring but yes it's normal.

I woke up this morning to a HUGE gust of wind, the house was popping! I grabbed my phone that was sitting on the night stand next to me and there was a text, a tornado watch from 4am til noon, it was 5am then! I thought, "They said this next line of storms wasn't going to be severe, what's up!" So I turned on the Weather Channel to check it out, the tornado watch is following the squall line, there wasn't even any thunderstorms in our part of it so I just went back to sleep for another 30 minutes, alarm went off and by the time I left the house at 7:45 the squall was past us. By the time I got here to work they had canceled the tornado watch, so we're in the clear now. It's weird for me still to watch the temperature, at 5am it was 74*, at 6:30 it was 68, at 7:30 it was 64, now at 9:00 it's 58!

BP those are cute!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #8176826

Ew I hate centipedes.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8177043

Centipedes are cool!

Tropic, looking forward to those pics. I've neverr heard of that kind of croc so I'm off to look it up.

45 for our high today with a 70% chance of snow.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #8177101

All of you from MI down to MS... Look out, your weather is gonna get nasty if it hasn't already.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2010

Post #8177225

Tropic, except for liking a lot of daylight in the summer, I could do without the daylight savings time. Instead of doing away with it, they start it earlier and end it later. It's never bothered me sleepwise.

I have never tasted homemade kraut, so this will be new to me. I'm hoping to keep it in the fridge to eat fresh.

Like Celia, I too had to Google your croc. They are impressive!

I have a fondness for alligators. When I was a kid, the next town over had a zoo, and they had an alligator pool. Not very big, and the alligators just sat around. It was rare to see them move. I remember pennies on their backs, that people had thrown over the fence. I remember the smell. I don't think we ever took pictures of the zoo. I wish we had.

There was also a monkey cage and I like monkeys less, now, thanks to nature shows :o)

Hmmm, I'm glad I wear gloves when working even with potting soil, but it is pretty.

Chrissy, ROTFL! If I had done all that, no way could I have gone back to bed, much less sleep! I'm glad nothing came of it. Our temps dropped from 57* at 5:00 am to a windy cool 53* now.

Friday, our clouds were the amber color of burning leaves. I've never seen that before.

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #8177299

Oh BP I have a storm radio, storm alerts from Accuweather that come into my phone, and if there's a storm headed directly at my house I get a phone call from our local NBC channel, plus I was watching Radar on The Weather Channel and had it up on my phone for a closer view. Don't you think for a second I don't know exactly what's going on with the weather, I can spot a tornado on Radar faster than the weather service can put a warning out for it, I've done it before LOL!! Ask Mau and Celia! I am surprised I slept through the weather radio going off when we were put in the tornado watch. I was shocked, I think I actually said, "WHAT!?!?" LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #8177308

Chrissy, LOL! You are a true weather person!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 26, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #8177312

Very windy, rainy, cool.
Nice day to not be outside.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8177321

And that is why we are all here :o)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8177333

I'm from CA and when I first moved here April 2007 we rented an apartment on Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs and Dave told me that AR doesn't have very many tornados, and the ones that do touch down are almost always F0's and F1's and pop right back up, so I don't remember any tornados in 2007 but in October 2007 we bought our house out in the woods. All was fine until Spring of 2008 and all hell broke loose. That was one of the tornadoest weather that we've had here on record and man was I freaked out, every week we were having tornados, so I put in a storm shelter, of course all the locals laughed but so what, I'm not really a local anyway. I'm just starting to get better where I don't freak out when there's a tornado 2000 miles away heading in the opposite direction, and I didn't freak out Sunday when we had a severe thunderstorm come over the house and as soon as it got past us it turned into a tornado warning. Maybe I didn't freak because the rotation was headed right for the building I work in, in downtown Little Rock and if the building gets hit, no worky jerky... I don't know!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #8177362

Chrissy, I'd thumb my nose at them too. What I wouldn't give for a storm shelter! ROTFL over no work!

We have never had a tornado in all my life, here either, until 2006.One went thru town a full block from me, tearing down a pole building uptown that housed the appliances from Chown's appliance store. The debris hit a house and damaged the roof and camper, a block away, then continued another block and hit our old school. Only one death from the second one that night that struck three miles south of town. It killed the mother of the guy that had the Chown's building hit his house. It was a sad night for all.

I don't freak out, but I'd feel better with a storm shelter.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8177515

Every room in my house is connected to an outside wall so that's why I put one in.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #8177526

Chrissy, that would worry me too!

I argue that mine could be a root cellar. I'll sit down there.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #8177933

Coolish, windy, and mostly dry. The storms rolled thru here last night but they didn't do much around here. Just wind gusts around 25-30 mph and some rain. The worst of it is up north and down south. We're in a quiet spot pressure wise I guess. lol. At least this time we are.

Another kind of fungi.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #8178450

Next time the weather gets bad, I'm calling Crissy for my updates! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #8178873

47 with a high of 60
Through 12 pm: Mostly sunny and windy. Temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 40s. Winds SW at 20 to 25 mph.
Partly to mostly cloudy and windy. Winds WSW at 25 to 35 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.
Daybreak and I see the trees moving with a bit of wind.

Pepper, those actually look tasty!

Marsue, I think she's on top of it all!

We didn't have a lot of wind either. Last night the weather radio went off and I thought it was the phone ringing. I was waiting for the answering machine to pick up :o) I was also dreaming I was at a ski lift and there was a problem. I had a magic marker and was writing POST on a door mat. It woke me up before I could write a warning about the ski lift :o)

One county has high wind warnings and they are North of us. I don't think we will be near as bad. It's also windier south of us again.

I need to bring flowers and two tubs of squash in from the garage. We will freeze Thursday night and it just stays cool now.

I got my first 2011 flower catalog. Thompson and Morgan! I love to look at the pictures!

My neighbor's Mums :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8179005

BP I want a basement for more than one reason, wonder how much it costs to do that... lol I'm sure it's not cheap.

LOL Mau!

It's sunny and supposed to be 84* today, but by either tomorrow or Friday, I don't remember which, we're going to drop about 15*.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #8179093

Basements can be dug for an ugly amount of $$$. Having a cellar dug elsewhere on your land would be a lot less, I would think. You wouldn't have to have the house jacked or worry about flooding issues in your house.

This morning...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #8179121

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BERNIE!!!!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8179156

New to this forum. Hi, Billy! Hi, Pepper!

Crissy - I chuckled when I read your post about the tornadoes. When we first moved here, I was the same way - freaking out every time there was a thunderstorm or even a mention of a tornado anywhere in Missouri, Oklahoma, or Kansas. After 30 years of living here, I'm still cautious (tornadoes are not something to mess with!), but not so freaked out anymore. I turn on the weather radio and take out my map of MO and track the storms. It's kinda fun, actually, and occupies my mind so I'm not just worrying.

Kudos on building a storm shelter. It's the sensible thing if you don't have a basement. We have a basement, but it's a walk-out. The only windowless room is the laundry room. There have been a few memorable nights down through the years when we have huddled together with our two dogs in that 5x5 space! Nowadays we just hang out downstairs and wait until there's a tornado warning or we hear the tornado siren go off. We have had a couple of bad tornadoes in our town, one in 2003 that hit about five miles south of our house.

Beautiful, cool Fall day today! Forecast is for 66 today and 36 tonight. That's what I consider perfect weather! Ahhhh... I love Fall!

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #8179241

I have a storm shelter but I want a basement! I want I want I want! LOL

It's like a fiberglass pod under the ground, kinda cool but I need a lot of dirt to put over the top, it's bald and has a huge sink hole behind it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 27, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #8179383

You don't really want a basement. That big rain here a month ago thrashed everything in any basement. I'm talking freezers, furnace, washers & dryers & whatever furniture was down there.
Nobodies insurance covered the loses.
Very expensive to build a basement. At least half the cost of the house. Then if you finish the interior, wow.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #8179387

[quote]Very expensive to build a basement. At least half the cost of the house.[/quote]

Ah, ha! So THAT is why none of the houses out here have basements.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8179389

Crissy, the tree is a valley oak (Quercus lobata).

Bernie, I wondered what you did with the glad corms, if it was worth the effort to dig them up each year. Happy birthday to my favorite Minnesotan! (Joe Mauer is so jealous. LOL!)

We have a closet under the stairs. If we lived somewhere else, that would be our storm shelter.

Windy today, which is perfectly normal for this time of year. We've had around 1.5" of rain for the month, which is a good bit, probably the most for October that I've seen in the 23 years I've been out here.

Updated: 7:51 AM PDT on October 27, 2010
63 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 21 F
Wind: 15 mph from the North

Thanksgiving cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 27, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8179392

You may have rock which is hard to dig the hole.
In years past basements were dug by hand & concrete was cheap, but no longer the case.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 27, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #8179398

I saw in one tornado report this past summer, someone had built a storm room in their house. A concrete cube almost like a bank vault. Only thing standing in the whole area.
They used it for something also, but I don't remember what.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8179403

I saw a house that burned down that had something like that. I called it the wine cellar, but I don't know what it really was.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8179462

Kelli you don't want a basement in CA, if you were in it and a bad earthquake happened you'd get buried alive.

OOOO A wine cellar!! There we go!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 27, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #8179554

I would imagine a concrete cube would stay cool inside. Think of the fun tasting wine while waiting out the tornado. Maybe wouldn't even worry about the storm! LOL!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #8179633

LOL Drink enough wine and I might forget all about it!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #8179645

Chrissy, 15*? That is extreme!

Celia, is there a Christmas present under there? I'm not sure the tree was ready for snow :o)

I think a basement would be very expensive which is why I'll take that root cellar. We have a town that manufactures concrete storm cellers and there are also plastic rooms you can bury. I'm with DH. There does have to be two ways out in case a tree or house falls on us.

Bernie, I missed it on the front page! Happy Happy Birthday!! Hope you are in out of the wind!!

ImaMes, welcome! I'm glad you came over! I do almost the same thing. I had a small map of Iowa and I ''triangulated'' the towns that seemed to get storms all the time. I too take a ruler and see if I'm in the path. We don't have a safe room. We usually run to my Dad's house.

Chrissy, LOL! That's how I wanted to put it! I might as well have a whole underground house because I'd be filling it with cots and food and creature comforts.

Your pod sounds... um... Bald with a sink-hole? ROTFL!!

Bernie, I hear ya. That's why I can't have one. The water table is too high, but jeeze, we want something!

Kelli, most likely close to the truth. A basement sure would feel good on a hot day. I wonder what your ground temp is, 6'-9' deep? Your cactus is beautiful!

Bernie, a house up the street has a concrete room in the middle of the basement. They had a nice basement too, with a concrete floor, from what I remember from 6th grade. Ahh, Bernie, you've taken us to a whole new level of storm shelters :o)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #8179652

LOL!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8179753

BP yea it is, but I've seen temps drop 30* in one day. I'll find pics of my pod and post them for you.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #8179787

I don't know what the ground temp would be here. We don't have any caverns around here so I can't even guess.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #8179865

Here you go BP

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #8179866

Here's the hole it went into

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #8179867

being picked up to put into the hole

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #8179868

And into the hole we go

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8179871

I love this one. LOL What has happened is the hole wasn't dug in the same type of circle that the shelter is molded...

Thumbnail by crissyr

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 27, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8179873

We actually have a storm shelter, although we have never used it. Our well is in a concrete pit. It is about 8 ft deep & has steps going down to the floor. Also a reinforced concrete roof. Big tree next to it, my luck the tree would fall on the door!
It's behind the tree on the right.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8179874

and when the dirt settled back down it filled in all the holes or big hole under the shelter and left nothing on top, so I ended up being short on dirt.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #8179875

Here's the inside. I would have liked a cement one but they were about $3000 higher than the fiberglass pod.

Thumbnail by crissyr

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 27, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8179883

I'm way behind this thread! Love your pics and comments. I'm only posting a quick note , just to say we're having cold and rain again. And the mums are blooming.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #8179913

Pretty Adina!!!!! Stay warm!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8180054

Crissy, can it double as an underground swimming pool? ;-)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #8180228

Cool with temps in the low 60s today. Windy and sunny also.

We will get down into the high 30s tonight and early tomorrow morning some areas might experience frost.

We are also under a burn ban. Relative humidity is only around 22% and with the winds it's too dangerous to burn.

We have a basement too but only one side is exposed. The house itself backs into a hill so we have plenty of dirt around the house.

Crissy, cool pod!!

Another shot of wild mushrooms.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8180308

Pep I'm betting there's wood under both of those Fungi.
We've had Shitaki Mushrooms growing wild here now.

Tropic you would get along Great w/ our neighbor.
He's the Rhino/Africa Hooved Animal Keeper at the Cincy Zoo.
Started out w/ Gators and Crocs.

Cooling off fast here.
We should have a Frost/Freeze by Friday morning.

If all goes as planned we should Finally have our Pickup Truck by tomorrow night.
98 Toyota Tacoma extended cab.
ALL these years All these projects and we haven't had a truck in 20 years.
The Ford Escort makes a great hauling vehicle...LOL!

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8180312

I was thinking underground Hot Tub!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8180326

The first set of mushrooms were growing at the base of a stump. The last set were growing on what's left of the apple tree.

LOL on hot tub!! That's a good one!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #8180470

Oh, before I forget again, Happy Birthday Bernie!!!

And hi ImaMes!! Great to see you over here!!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 27, 2010
11:59 PM

Post #8180792

For anyone interested, I just finished the crocodile article on the other site:

http://cubits.org/crocodiles/articles/view/715/

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #8180886

40 and still windy as promised, with a high of 50
WNW at 25 to 35 mph. We did not freeze.

Chrissy, it must be the dry air to drop so fast. When we drop it's usually a storm blowing in, and it never ceases to amaze me. One minute you're in shorts, the next you're running for pants and a coat.

The pod isn't what I expected at all. It's pretty cool! Smiling over the cat. Yep, DH would rather sit in the storm than be trapped in the pod :o)

Bernie, smiling over the tree. That's the trouble here, no matter where I put it, a tree could fall in any direction.

Adina, lovely Mums! Stay warm and dry!

Kelli, ooh ooh, I want a pool too! But that isn't going to happen either.

Pepper, I'd feel safe in your house! Love the mushrooms! They look edible.

Ric, not only have you had a colorful life, you live beside colorful people, LOL! Yay on the truck!

Hmmm. A lot of good ideas for the pod :o)

Tropic, loved the article!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #8181076

Pep that's my kind of house! I want one that's built into a mountain

LOL!!!!! Ric and Kelli, y'all are too funny!

Yay Ric, Fiiinnally getting that truck!

The jet stream is bringing cold air in from the north. I don't know about drier, it's been really dry the last couple months.

BP most men are like that, I'd rather be safe in the pod than out in the storm.

ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8181329

tropicbreeze - Interesting article on the crocs. Nice pics, too.

Crissy - Cool pod! How big is it inside, about 16x8? Makes me kinda claustrophobic, but in a tornado I'm sure I'd rather be inside it than not!

Pepper - I like your mushroom pics. We get a lot of mushrooms in the Fall, too. We are also under a burn ban. And yesterday we had fire warnings. Dry and windy here, too.

Adina - Beautiful mums!

Ric - Congrats on the truck! We also had a Ford Escort for many years and found it to be a great hauling vehicle. Now we have a Chevy Blazer in its place. Also a good hauling vehicle, but I'd still like a pickup someday. Ya can't haul loads of soil or mulch with a Blazer. :-)

Love the hot tub idea... and the wine cellar!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 28, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #8181630

Crissy, congratulations for the pod cellar! Great job!
SallyBP, glad you didn't freeze!
Ric, congrats for the new truck!
Imames, welcome! Cool about tracking the storms. Seems dangerous!
Pepper, love the mushrooms!
Kelli, your Thanksgiving cactus is amazing as always!Mine almost died when we were away at our DDs, but I managed to save a few stems and they're doing good now,but now blooms anymore.sigh
Tropic, great article. I didn't know you were working with the crocodiles!

It's been a very cold day, though sunny. It was 46F=7C during the day and it will be 22F=-5C tonight...brrr!! The furnace is on!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #8181877

Adina! You had said it was getting colder, but Geez! Brrrrr...
Tropic what a great article...it was like I was watching NatGeo! Very interesting!
ImaMes, Welcome! I don't show up very much, but I do try to keep up...lurking.
Ric, Glad you got your truck! :D Now you & Robyn can really take a load of things to the RU's! :D
Bernie, Sorry I missed it, but Happy! Birthday! (just a little late)
Crissy, I like your 'hidey hole'. I agree with Kelli...a swimming pool! or Ric...Hot Tub! :D
Pepper, Nice fungi! I haven't seen many around here this year...usually DB's yard is covered.
Sally, I think I'm with your DH. I've secretly wanted to be a storm chaser! LOL!

ttfn,
Joey

(on the top of Peters Mountain)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #8181977

I knew I should have checked in earlier--now I am waaaaay behind again! LOL
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bernie--a day late. Sorry I missed it. Hope you had a good one! :o))
ImaMes: Welcome! I think I should warn you that you have to be a little bit crazy to be a member of this forum--but you have probably already figured that out by now! LOL

I've lived in Arkansas all my life and have yet to spend 5 minutes inside a tornado shelter. There have only been two times when we left our house to get out of the way of a pending tornado. In April, 2008, a tornado went right over our neighborhood about 11:30 p.m. and my late DH and I plus a house guest slept through the whole thing--tornado sirens going off and all! Fortunately, the tornado stayed in the air or our neighborhood would have been devastated. Had we known about it, a tornado shelter certainly would have been welcome.

Tropic: I'll check out your link in a few minutes.

We are expecting our first frost of the season tonight. There are frost warnings out for my part of the state and freeze warnings for the northern areas.
# Tonight: Mainly clear. Low around 35F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tomorrow: Sunny skies. High 67F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2010

Post #8182045

I should say that the basement of my house is built into a hill. The house is above it. lol. Just in case you were thinking earth contact. I wouldn't want an earth contact home. Not enough light.

Cold with highs in the low 50s. All of Missouri, parts of Iowa and Kansas are under a freeze warning for tonight. Illinois might be too but they didn't show it on the news. Temps are expected to get below 32 degrees tonight. I'm glad all my tender plants are in except for some ees. Letting the freeze take the leaves first.

Fading Don Juan bloom. Don Juan, Blushing Knockout and Radrazz knockout have been blooming nonstop now for over a month.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8182052

Bernie HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

Well speaking of Tornados.
One hit about 3 miles from Marcy's Tues. during that T-Storm.
An EF1 and no injuries from it.
It was on the ground for about 5 miles.

Well we got the Truck.
My BIL had gotten it from his Father.
Only 92,000 miles, new tires, looks like new, even a full tank of gas!

Left right from work.
Got home about 7PM.
And yes now we can do MORE plants at the RU's! LOL!

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #8182221

Expecting an end to the growing season tonight. Low of 26 predicted. Nothing much growing anymore anyhow.
Had a great birthday. Old Country Buffet sent a coupon for a free meal. We headed there not realizing they have raised their prices through the roof! Left the coupon & went to our favorite place owned by a local man. He came from Lebanon at age 16. Worked hard & brought the rest of his family over. His son is now managing the restaurant. They have a half price deal for your birthday. I ordered a rib eye steak. It was delicious!
I have sold watermelons & other produce at times to them.
Later I stopped at our local tavern & had a root beer.

I've been spending spare hours cleaning Glad bulbs. Another few days & we should be done.
Some varieties have an abundance of bulbs so I will have bulbs for sale in the spring.
Go to my site to look. I will update it towards end of November.
www.countrygardensmn.com
Tomorrow I am heading to a ladies house to strip the face frames on her bathroom cabinets. Hope it goes well. We are making new doors & drawers for these cabinets.

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes,
Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #8182633

29 with a high of 57
Plenty of sunshine. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 17 min
Dyson Dark with a touch of frost.

Chrissy, me too on ''backing into a mountain!'' Is it just us women with these wishes? LOL! Men, so brave :o)

Adina, we froze last night, so I only had one more day to check tomatoes :o(
Beautiful close-up! I really like that color!

Joey, that's my problem. I want to watch the storm as long as possible, only ducking if I absolutely have to. That's why I would still rather have a basement/fruitroom. I grew up with one. ''Peter's Mountain.'' I love that name! It looks like a giant leaf pile to the right, LOL!

Marsue, I remember going to the basement only a couple times in my childhood. But we've left the house a few times since DH has retired. He did it for me you understand :o) Oh Mau. I'm laughing over sleeping thru it, only because no harm came to anyone :o)

Pepper, anything above ground level, hill, mountain, I don't care :o) I would have to have windows above ground too, but I could live underground at night. Poor cold rose, still pretty! It sounds like you planted some good roses.

Ric, I'm glad the tornados didn't have a lot of strength. Trucks are great!

Bernie, I liked ''Country Buffet'' the first time we ate there. The second time we realized there was more food reflected in the mirrors than on the tables. The last time, it was the last time. A root beer is the perfect ending!

Today it's roast, potatoes and carrots for dinner!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8182753

Well, It hit down to 29* brrrrr...

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Oct 29, 7:53 am CDT

Fair

29 F
(-2 C)
Humidity: 92 %
Wind Speed: E 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.42" (1030.6 mb)
Dewpoint: 27 F (-3 C)
Visibility: 8.00 mi.

I has to turn my heater on for while until it warm enough... I did bring all my cactus & succulents in my attached garage yesterday...

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8182876

It seats 12 people and of course you can have some stand up in the middle too if you wanted to pack it. Your only in it just long enough for the cloud to blow over so maybe 15 minutes at the most, and I have a radio and some fans down there, plus blankets, pillows, lights, so it's not that bad. I went down there this summer and did some embroidery to just find a cool place when we were at 115* for over a month, why overwork the AC when you can just go underground? LOL

LOL Marilyn in 2008 seven tornadoes went directly over my neighborhood in the same night, the storm was training. I've been in my shelter 9 times because of that, all of them were in 2008.

I knew we were in a frost warning and I got all mixed up with some stupid dogs and forgot to bring my potted tenders inside! AGH guess I'll look at them tonight when I get home from work. Fiddlesticks!

About the dogs, I don't know what to do and need some advice. One of my next door neighbor's dogs is in heat and she keeps getting out, last night she wouldn't even come up to us and she had 5 dogs following her and decided to camp out beside my bedroom and bark, yelp, cry, growl, fight, and so on, the last time I looked at the clock it was 2:35am. This dog is full of tumors, my neighbor is 26 years old and going through a divorce and has to work two jobs now to keep up with the mortgage because her husband isn't sending his half of the money like his court order tells him to do, she can't afford to give the dog surgery, can't afford to fix her, can't afford to put her down, I don't know, I'm thinking about putting her down myself. She said last night at 10:30 as she was coming home from her second job that she can't take care of any more dogs and asked if we thought she was in heat. I said, YEAW!! Of course she screamed a few obscenities and said that she's too busy for puppies and who knows which dog got her. Us putting her down would help my neighbor out as the dog isn't going to live, she's as skinny as a rail because the tumors are taking all of the nourishment she's getting from her food, but is it wrong to put someone elses dog down, even if the situation would be better for everyone involved?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #8182928

Crissy, you have dmail.

We did get a light frost last night. It was 36F on my back porch at 6 a.m. Supposed to be in the mid-30's again tonight. I probably won't be having any more moonvine blooms after this.

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8184151

Hard frost last night though I never did hear what the temps got down too. It was still frosty at 9am this morning and usually it's gone about that time. Temps went up to the mid 60s though with sunny skies. A very nice day.

This was the extent of fall color in my neighborhood this year. Except for sumac and it turned a bright red. I never had my camera with me though so never got and pics.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8184215

No freeze or frost here yet but at 36 already we will have one tonight.
Off to work on the GH tomorrow.

Ric

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #8184659

It now 49* and some windy just cool breeze...

Today: Sunny, with a high near 70. Wind chill values as low as 39 early. South wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph

I am off for halloween that step-grandkids want me to come along tomorrow...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 30, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8184773

Over the 7 years I've been keeping rain records at my place the average October rainfall is 35.9 millimetres (1.41 inches), with the highest for the month 92.0 millimetres (3.62 inches) and the lowest 3.5 millimetres (0.14 inches). But this year (with 1 day still to go) I've had 161.2 millimetres (6.35 inches) so far for October.

The rain has eased back again just lately but the temperatures are still below normal. Humidity is keeping the heat index up though.

Minimum temperature this morning was 23.8C (74.8F), maximum today was 34.7C (94.5F). Heat index got up to 43.3C (109.9F). A lot of places round about got rain, I didn't get any, only a bit of cloud occasionally. There's a large storm front moving in from the south east, still about 120 kilometres away. If it manages to get through it might be here around 2:00am.

This was sunset this evening.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8184981

Ric: good luck on the work with the GH.
pepper: we haven't had a pretty autumn, either. It's been much too dry.
Gorgeous sunset, Tropic! You have had more rain this month than I have had--that's for sure! We are really dry here--several inches behind in rainfall.

It was 30F on my back porch at 7:45 a.m. today. BRRRRR! But it isn't winter-time yet. Tomorrow we are supposed to be up into the 80's again! Yo-yo weather is what it is! LOL
# Today: Sunny. High 73F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 41F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 30, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #8185047

Tropic, that is so beautiful!
Mau , what a lovely moon flower!Scary about tornados! Lucky you were OK!
Crissy, I hope you won't have to put down the poor dog. If it's your neighbor's dog she should have a responsability , even though she has no money. At most you could help her with the money. You're such a kind soul!
BPSally, yummy dinner!
Pepper, wow, beautiful color of that rose! They have such beautiful names too!
Joey, what a gorgeous view of the forrest!

It's been so warm today I went out and worked in the garden : cut back the asters, cleaned the MG vines from the fence and pulled off the Scarlett salvia. I still need to trim back the roses and cover them with soil.
It'll still be freezing tonoght, but it's forecasted warming up on the next days. Tonight we're changing back the hour...sleeping in more tomorrow!
These sparrows were waiting for me to feed them!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 30, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #8185052

Remember last year when I had some mums from my mom and planted them in November? Not only they've survived through the bad winter, but they are blooming now!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #8185181

Hooray on the mums, Adina!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #8185837

Nice View Tropic!

Adina wonderful work on the Mums.
Rarely do Fall planted ones make it to Spring.

Rusty I hope you had fun w/ the little Goblins!
T or T isn't until tomorrow night here.

The new truck preformed well today!
It's 100 miles each way, only about 40 of it is Interstate.
Not sure of the MPG's yet but it appears to be in the low-mid 20's.
Sure nice to have Cruise Control once again...lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8185840

Here's where we are so far.
Would have been further but working w/ real logs meant each section has it's own characteristics.
Plus we had that Idiot Inspector to deal w/...errrrr!
The gap between the knee wall and the area that will be clear paneled is for frost heave.
That AIN'T going to be happening...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 31, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #8186223

Happy Halloween everyone!
Ric, nice truck and good work on the GH! What did the inspector want?
Yellow leaves from the city.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 1, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #8188059

November thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1138509/
Please post there.
Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8188062

nice truck, Ric! good work so far on the GH. down here we don't have to worry about frost heave. LOL
Pretty leaves, Adina.

I only had 7 trick-or-treaters come by my house last night. That leaves a LOT of candy for me! LOL

We have a chance of rain again later today and tonight! HOORAY!

# Today: A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 77F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Rain showers this evening, becoming a steady, soaking rain overnight with a few rumbles of thunder possible. Low 51F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a half an inch.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2010 6:39 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2010

Post #8188066

Whoops, we crossed Bernie. I'll be right over!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America